-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 28 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 27 28
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I marvel that so many animals are alleged to have died over the years at the hands of such inferior scopes. (I suspect that each of us who claims to have killed animals with them are bald-faced liars.) Each passing moment seems to reveal the ineffectiveness of all current scopes. Thankfully, each passing moment also provides new scopes that solve all of the previous problems (until the next moment, when they are revealed to be ineffective as well, and a new generation of scopes takes their {brief} turn at solving all problems).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
So you suggest all the NF tracking failures and factory repairs are lies told by internet jockeys? I never said they were anything other than top of the line but they’re also not the only game in town.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I'll vote too!

The last 4 scopes purchased:

SWFA
Burris
Nikon
Burris

All of my hunting guns from deer to Varmint have old Leupold's and are zero and forget so I don't anticipate any issues.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

When do the switchblades come out?

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When the story gets to the West Side.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Zero retention issues aren’t solved by sticking your head in the set-and-forget sand. Weak erector springs rear their ugly head there too.

I was amazed that I didn’t have to frequently “check my zero” once I went to NF/SWFA.... like I did when I ran Leupold Vari-X series scopes.

I had an SWFA fixed 12x go nearly 1500 rounds without needing any adjustment is zero.... when I finally did re-zero it... it was .2 MILs left... that’s all. During that same time, I had a VX-2 4-12x40 with the AO and Target Turrets mounted on a .22 LR. That Leupold has to be re-zeroed frequently... and it wasn’t subjected to anywhere near the abuse the SS scope was.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wp75169
So you suggest all the NF tracking failures and factory repairs are lies told by internet jockeys? I never said they were anything other than top of the line but they’re also not the only game in town.

Never heard of one person having a problem with NF I am eager to hear the circumstances of the failures you have heard about

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by Wp75169

Never heard of one person having a problem with NF I am eager to hear the circumstances of the failures you have heard about

Here's what this guy said about NF.......I personally have zero clue as I've never owned one.

Originally Posted by koshkin
Leupold lost their way for a bit there, but the stuff I have seen coming from them lately has been pretty good. I liked VX-6HD and Mark 5HD. Can't say I am terribly impressed with anything below VX-5.

Nightforce makes a good product, but I think a legion of their fanboys exagerrates how bullet proof they are. NIghtforce has a service department and it is as busy as anyone elses.

I've seen pretty much everything go down at one time or another.

ILya

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm a Leupold fan and they aren't perfect. However, I've never had any brand of scope track perfectly. 1/4" per click my ass! However, when I bought each of my 4 VX-3is I read they improved the erectors on them and these four scopes track better than any scope I've ever owned. But then again, the VX-3s are as high on the food chain as I've gone with scopes so maybe I have no business commenting on this subject.

VX-3s have optics as good as my old eyes can take advantage of. I've looked through some high dollar scopes and they don't do that much for me. I will admit that one Zeiss Conquest I looked through was as clear as it gets and an old Schmidt Und Bender straight 8 power was the clearest scope I've ever seen. But at several thousand dollars I can't justify such luxury.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Longevity with any scope is probably greatly increased if you don't throw it down mountainsides, toss it out of treestands, dive into fox holes and and use it to break your fall while your clumsy ass tumbles down a hillside. Likewise if you don't shoot 700 rounds through your lightweight .300 Win. mag. every time you go to the range. Who the fugg needs that much practice anyway ? If you do you probably just suck and aught to take up ping pong. Either that or learn how to actually hunt and get close before you shoot, rather than relying on the technology of your 2500 yard laser rangefinder and super duper, foolproof, tumble proof, dial a mile scope and .850 BC bullets to make up for your lack of stalking skill and laziness. Where the fugg does "fair chase" come into the equation these days anyway ? Is there any limit to how far you can go before it's just killing ? Crypes I bet some of these guys can't wait to get their hands on an electronic pulse phaser that will shoot over, around and through mountains to kill game 5 miles away that's only visible through their heat signature seeking, x-ray vision super scope.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
VX3i’s are fine for my hunting, I’m about a 300 yard max shooter.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What happened to Leupold?

They failed to anticipate all of the Chris Kyle wannabes!

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Longevity with any scope is probably greatly increased if you don't throw it down mountainsides, toss it out of treestands, dive into fox holes and and use it to break your fall while your clumsy ass tumbles down a hillside. Likewise if you don't shoot your lightweight .300 Win. mag 700 rounds an hour every time you go to the range. Who the fugg needs that much practice anyway ? If you do you probably just suck and aught to take up ping pong. Either that or learn how to actually hunt and get close before you shoot, rather than relying on the technology of your 2500 yard laser rangefinder and super duper, foolproof, tumble proof, dial a mile scope and .850 BC bullets to make up for your lack of stalking skill and laziness. Where the fugg does "fair chase" come into the equation these days anyway ? Is there any limit to how far you can go before it's just killing ? Crypes I bet some of these guys can't wait to get their hands on an electronic pulse phaser that will shoot over, around and through mountains to kill game 5 miles away that's only visible through their heat signature seeking, x-ray vision super scope.

What about a guy who’s not practicing for hunting? What if a guy likes to shoot for fun? Is he allowed to have a reliable scope?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by timl
Longevity with any scope is probably greatly increased if you don't throw it down mountainsides, toss it out of treestands, dive into fox holes and and use it to break your fall while your clumsy ass tumbles down a hillside. Likewise if you don't shoot your lightweight .300 Win. mag 700 rounds an hour every time you go to the range. Who the fugg needs that much practice anyway ? If you do you probably just suck and aught to take up ping pong. Either that or learn how to actually hunt and get close before you shoot, rather than relying on the technology of your 2500 yard laser rangefinder and super duper, foolproof, tumble proof, dial a mile scope and .850 BC bullets to make up for your lack of stalking skill and laziness. Where the fugg does "fair chase" come into the equation these days anyway ? Is there any limit to how far you can go before it's just killing ? Crypes I bet some of these guys can't wait to get their hands on an electronic pulse phaser that will shoot over, around and through mountains to kill game 5 miles away that's only visible through their heat signature seeking, x-ray vision super scope.

What about a guy who’s not practicing for hunting? What if a guy likes to shoot for fun? Is he allowed to have a reliable scope?
Must be they already do seein as how people continue to compete and win matches every year and have been for a long time. Longer than NightForce and SWFA scopes have existed even.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Another vote for the Bean Counters took over. What I have personally witnessed in the past 16 months:

1) Custom Shop Retrofit prices more than doubled 01 Jan 2018. Unannounced. If they intended to prevent people from buying a used Leupold scope and sending it in to the Custom Shop to have it set up the way the customer wanted it, they succeeded.

2) Two sets of new Leupold rings in past 3 months. Both leave marks in the matte finish on Leupold scopes. Well BEFORE they get tightened farmer tight. Leupold calls it a "mounting system". However their "system" defaces their own scopes. I have had ZERO issues with Talley LW's marking a scope.

3) One of the set of rings above has a visible casting/forging defect 1/4"x1/2" on top of a ring cap that was not cleaned up by the machining process. Both rings also have visible file marks on the radius to the side of the mounting screws. Where's the QC ???

4) Overall finish has degraded. Leupold bases and rings previously had a very smooth matte finish. Last two sets of QR bases either have an abrasive blast finish, or have been from a very porous casting. Regardless, much more coarse finish than previous bases.

5) Last set of bases, the holes are drilled for an 8x40 screw set. The mounting screws provided have 6x40 threads, with a #8 shoulder to properly center the bases on the receiver. Yes, this reduces the number of SKU's, and inventory carrying cost for Leupold. However, if I happen to lose one of the mounting screws, I now have to special order from Leupold. It is no longer a commodity item that I can pick up at a local gun shop or hardware store.

If Leupold is making these types of cost cutting measures that are plainly visible on the outside... What's happening on the inside ???

I am not going to scrap my current lot of Leupold scopes. However, Leupold is no longer my "Number 1, Go To" brand for new scopes...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Longevity with any scope is probably greatly increased if you don't throw it down mountainsides, toss it out of treestands, dive into fox holes and and use it to break your fall while your clumsy ass tumbles down a hillside. Likewise if you don't shoot 700 rounds through your lightweight .300 Win. mag. every time you go to the range. Who the fugg needs that much practice anyway ? If you do you probably just suck and aught to take up ping pong. Either that or learn how to actually hunt and get close before you shoot, rather than relying on the technology of your 2500 yard laser rangefinder and super duper, foolproof, tumble proof, dial a mile scope and .850 BC bullets to make up for your lack of stalking skill and laziness. Where the fugg does "fair chase" come into the equation these days anyway ? Is there any limit to how far you can go before it's just killing ? Crypes I bet some of these guys can't wait to get their hands on an electronic pulse phaser that will shoot over, around and through mountains to kill game 5 miles away that's only visible through their heat signature seeking, x-ray vision super scope.

Dumbest post of the week.....

If you gut shoot a buck at 250, because the zero retention of your scope sucks...... is that still “fair chase”?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

Dumbest post of the week.....

If you gut shoot a buck at 250, because the zero retention of your scope sucks...... is that still “fair chase”?

I suspect there are more in the running...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I believe zero retention is a strength of Leupold’s especially for non dialers.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
I believe zero retention is a strength of Leupold’s especially for non dialers.

Some people still believe Anna Nichole married for money, and there were WMDs in Iraq.....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I went to Wally World and met a guy and swapped all my Leupolds for Baraska's and a $100 gift card

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Page 8 of 28 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,499
Posts18,490,472
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.