Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
^^^^^^^
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I agree, to each their own. I was just wondering if I was missing some key point. I often OC when on private land. Not sure how I would roll in a rural but public environment.

What's really interesting is how to roll in a public hunting environment. There, a guy walking up to me with a long gun might not raise much suspicion. But should he suddenly point it at me and disarm me, I'd really like my handgun to be concealed.

Agree.

OC puts one at a disadvantage to a better armed assailant.

CC has the element of surprise, the only advantage one has in such a situation.

OC in the great outdoors, CC in urban settings.

IMO.

DF

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Mr. Harry, good discussion. Thanks.

FreeMe, interesting points. But you assume a lot, incorrectly, and you are condescending as hell. Not to say I think that is news to you or that your care. Or perhaps you think you are witty. Maybe you are . . . to someone.

Yeah, I'll own that. It was deliberately condescending. Your flippant remarks invited it. As if people don't have valid reasons for carrying differently in different settings. And yeah - I'm still going to assume you haven't tried slinging that AR as you go about daily business, even in private.....or else that business is pretty limited.

^^^^^^^
In general, I don't do flippant remarks. I was trying to have a honest discussion. Apparently Mr. Harry understood my intent.

Of course people have valid reasons for carrying differently in different settings. I often open carry on private land. Repeating myself, but one of the the arguments for concealed carry is not about the gun grab. It is about a predator not knowing you are armed until it is too late. If I understand the argument as many people make it, the assumption is the criminal has decided to act whether you are armed or not, but that they might be less aggressive with their first move if they think you are unarmed. How many times have you heard something like "I don't want the SOB to know I am armed until he is staring down the muzzle"? I've heard it plenty. If that is the argument you make (not saying YOU make it, but many do), is there much difference in city vs. country?

I've never hiked the AT. How close can someone get to you who is overtaking you as far as getting close enough for a gun grab?

When hunting, I carry a rifle around all day. It is usually heavier than an AR. I'm often carrying more weight in a pack. A light AR weighs less than the extra pounds many of us would like to lose.

You can assume whatever you please about what my usual day is and how much time I spend in climate control. But I'll mow about half and acre today, and it won't be a riding mower. Maybe I'll sling an AR and see if it kills me.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have spent the last week in Cody, Wy. and have been hiking the back country daily. We have seen only 2 small groups of humans but did see Griz tracks along Grace Creek. When I depart the car my G19 goes into an HPG recon kit bag loaded w/ BB 147gr hardcast. When I return I switch mags for 1 loaded w/ 124gr gold dots and the pistol goes into a AIWB holster. Different solutions to differing scenarios, none of which necessitates open carry for me.

I almost always carry a pack w/ an hipbelt and the HPG kitbag has been perfect for me.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Probably not as rural as the Appalachian Trail.

Actually in the wilderness surround C-town he is probably correct. Large portion of that area are still very sparsely poluated

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Were I contemplating a long multi state treck on the AT. I don't think something like a pistol caliber lever gun in a trapper configuration would be my choice

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As per usual, this thread has wandered into rabbit trails and pissing matches.

I suspect that if the deceased victim had been armed with about anything from a good walking stick to an airweight pocket pistol, and been of a mind to use what he had, he'd be with us yet today.
I am saddened that so much of our society fails to grasp this reality.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by johnw
As per usual, this thread has wandered into rabbit trails and pissing matches.

I suspect that if the deceased victim had been armed with about anything from a good walking stick to an airweight pocket pistol, and been of a mind to use what he had, he'd be with us yet today.
I am saddened that so much of our society fails to grasp this reality.

Agree and well stated.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by 340boy
What's crazy to me is that I dare say, most, hikers are so against guns that they would almost rather be raped or chopped into pieces than carry a firearm for protection.
Foolish in the extreme.

Agreed, it's crazy, that said, I'm no Yule Gibbons corn nut eating hiker, but damn, I pack more for two legged vermin than four leggers.

I can imagine what a wild eyed machete toting nut case would look like after threatening you.

Hmmm...

DF

LOL, well, there are several different kinds of holey, I believe they all would have been visited at games end. smile

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
one never knows what the Lord will bring to our doorsteps, but the Boy scouts had it right for a long long time. "Be Prepared".

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by 340boy
What's crazy to me is that I dare say, most, hikers are so against guns that they would almost rather be raped or chopped into pieces than carry a firearm for protection.
Foolish in the extreme.

Agreed, it's crazy, that said, I'm no Yule Gibbons corn nut eating hiker, but damn, I pack more for two legged vermin than four leggers.

I can imagine what a wild eyed machete toting nut case would look like after threatening you.

Hmmm...

DF

LOL, well, there are several different kinds of holey, I believe they all would have been visited at games end. smile

Normally I'd want the concessions, popcorn sales, etc.

BUT, afraid it'd be over before I could sell tickets...

DF

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
grin

Trump Won!
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 17CalFan, 222ND, 10gaugemag, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,063
Posts18,482,515
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.