Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Much appreciated.

Defend the Constitution
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So is the 64st (or other) usable straight out of the box or is it necessary to buy onx, etc?

I looked briefly at the onx site and am trying to understand how it works - chip, subscription, both? How have you guys set yourselves up?

Bass Pro price is $219 for the 64st, thinking about pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 64ST can be used right outta the box... it’s preloaded with 100k Topo maps... if you purchase the Onx chip for your state it will come with a micro SD card that you will install in your 64ST which will upgrade the state you purchased to 24k Topo and all the other goodies they offer... It will also include an App version which you can put on your Phone/Tablet... I didn’t buy a membership so I have no idea there...

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
EHG is correct. The 64ST as a GPS unit is ready to go out of the box for general mapping use. The OnX chips have a map with public/private land boundaries, which is really useful depending on where you hunt. The Web subscription is a great for "pre scouting" basically allowing you to view everything on your desktop computer. I got a free trial of the desktop version and while nice, did not end up keeping it when it expired. The chips are worth every penny IMO.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
If anyone is thinking about jumping on the 64ST from Cabelas or BP, shoot me a PM. I have about 2k in Cabelas bucks and nothing I really need at the moment. Id buy it for you and have shipped directly to you for 215.00 shipped. Should save you 5-20.00 bucks depending on tax and I can recoup some cash out of my Cabelas bucks

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Looking for a GPS for hunting public land and to keep me from getting lost. What works?

Look at reviews on different GPS units. I chose on without a compass that worked standing still for my first unit because at that time the electronic units sucked battery charges quickly. I have a Garmin with an electronic compass now. We have lots of trees here so I looked at how well the different units worked under a canopy before I bought my current GPS.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Garmin Dakota, works good but screen is a little too small. If you get one with a screen big enough to use then the unit is too big not handy to pack and eats batteries. Many of the areas I hunt don't have cell coverage so GPS is still the best option.

Maps and compass' still work.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by centershot
I have a Garmin Dakota, works good but screen is a little too small. If you get one with a screen big enough to use then the unit is too big not handy to pack and eats batteries. Many of the areas I hunt don't have cell coverage so GPS is still the best option.

Maps and compass' still work.

Yeah, thats why I said if I could only have one it would be the Oregon. Best compromise between size and performance.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Does anyone have any experience with the new Garmins? They look to have wider screens with external antenna. I was going get a 64st when I saw these. Any input in appreciated.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Use your smart phone, best GPS and easiest to use.

Well, that depends.

If you have cell service, then yes, I agree.

But if you are going into the hinterlands & have no cell service, having to download & use offline maps can be challenging for some people, but for the one that know how to do it, then yes, the phones work well.

For those that are a little big challenged from the tech standpoint, a standalone, dedicated GPS with the correct chip load is generally easier for that person to deal with & it also has a shorter learning curve.

Having used both, both work well if the used is adept at using the phone system.

JME, YMMV

MM

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can't see for the life of me how using a phone you use every day would be harder than pulling out a piece of equipment that you use sparingly or rarely.
How hard is it to download the maps in advance? Not very. Plus they're free.

Last edited by BKinSD; 05/22/19.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can’t see for the life of me why someone would rely on a phone to do a job it wasn’t designed for... Don’t get me wrong, I think the phone GPS and their apps are okay but no way in hell would I trust a phone on a 10-14 day pack in to the wilderness... My phone can’t do what it’s designed for half of the time when I’m in the city much less counting on it to get me to a designated location and back out on day 12... For those that wander on a day trip and get 1-2 miles away from their truck I can see the phone being okay... until they get lost and their battery dies on their phone... I can see it now... “Siri take me to the truck please.... Siri... Siri where are you???”

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Smartphone and Delorme inReach...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ll stick to my GPS units... you smart guys can keep them phones...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only hunt here in Alaska and if on foot never found much of a need for any navigational aids besides a compass and a map. I did have a GPS unit on a couple of 26' sea going boats, as it helped me find fishing holes. A buddy had one of those Oregon GPS units when we did a thousand mile round trip on the Yukon and Koyukuk Rivers and it worked as good or better then my boats GPS. After that trip I decided to get one and never did. We always took sight of a mountain or new we had to head up or down stream, etc.

Were doing a caribou hunt with a daughter and two granddaughters in August and I doubt we will have cell coverage. So in the interest of safety I picked up a Garmin Inreach Explorer and am learning it. I think it has all the GPS technology I will need for the rest of my duration roaming the "happy hunting grounds". That and our cell phones should see me and my 70 year old wife through on any adventure we go on now, especially since we had to give up living out of a back pack on a hunt. I have a Satellite phone that I may sell for lack of use, since I can now text with the Inreach which uses satellite technology.

Every time I go out in wild country I have a map or local knowledge and always wear a compass around my neck, keep a compass in my pack and another on each of our ATV's and in my truck. Just saying, I like a compass for most of my needs. I also admit to being some what "technically challenged".

A couple of times when travelling back at dark on our ATV's we have had to take pause and figure out which trail to take, that is when a GPS mounted on our ATV would be handy. But, unless we have a moose down and prepping it for leaving over night I try to get back to camp by dark, since it is safer to travel in day light and Mom said she worries about running into a brownie at night. I keep telling her they clear out when they hear us coming, she has her doubts.

I can understand how useful a GPS would be in the rest of the country where there is much more private land, units, hunting boundaries and, etc. I also think it may be useful for finding ones way back to a downed critter in the pucker brush or tracing ones way back to look for a lost item. Good hunting guys, don't get lost!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
You may be "technically challenged" but youre using the most foolproof system of navigation out there. It may not be as precise but it will certainly get you home without having to worry about satellites and batteries. I think everyone should own an Inreach.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
I’ll stick to my GPS units... you smart guys can keep them phones...

OK I will.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Garmin 64s is the best bang for the buck and can often be found for $200ish. The Oregon is basically the same unit, but is touch screen with a slightly larger screen. I have one of both that my wife and I use when volunteering for a SAR team. You can spend more, but you're paying for bigger screens, built in cameras, or 2 way radios. They don't do anything as far as a GPS the 64s or Oregon won't do. Both are solid units. Theoretically the 64s should be able to get signals a little better in heavy cover due to the external antenna, but I've used the Oregon in Florida swamps and it did fine. The push button 64s is also theoretically more durable than touch screen. But I've used mine tons over the last 6 years and both are holding up fine.

If you can get by with a phone, you really don't need a GPS. I often use my phone to access google earth in addition to the GPS, but there is so much more a real GPS will do. Finding my way home is the least of my concerns. I lay down tracks and then download them onto Google Earth when I get home to record where I've been and to pinpoint places where may want to return. I've also found likely hunting spots using Google Earth and recorded the GPS coordinates into my GPS to find my way to that exact spot in the dark. Using Google Earth with the GPS will not only help you find your way home, but find the easiest way to get where you're going.

Until you download more detailed maps a GPS is almost useless. There are several sources for free downloads. I've used this to download everything from Texas east to the coast and as far north as North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkanas and Oklahoma. We did a search in Indiana last year and I was able to get that state free too.

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

Other places may require you to buy maps. I paid $80 to get Colorado before hunting there last fall. I was unable to find anything free for CO.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I couldn't find an answer on the Cabela's site but does the 64ST they have on sale come pre loaded with the 100K U.S. TOPO maps?

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes it does... the ST stands for Street &Topo....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 3,055 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.