Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 28 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 27 28
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Judman
I hunt with leupold all over, I love em.... never had a failure. Sounds like a lotta folks do. Guess I’m just lucky

you must be lying...…...the only scope I have had that failed was a Steiner it was on a 7 mag.....all my Leopold's have been fine....but I also use straight 6.....I don't twist knobs and all of that.....sight them in and leave them...….bob

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hunt with leupold all over, I love em.... never had a failure. Sounds like a lotta folks do. Guess I’m just lucky

I'm the same way with muzzleloader bullets, I've always used powerbelts. Other guys say they're too soft and will "blow up" but it's never happened to me so I just keep using 'em with good results, mostly on elk.

If/when it happens to me, it'll be real and I'll stop using them but until then I guess I'm just lucky too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The funny thing is, every picture I've seen in every article I've ever read about African professional hunters shows Leupold scopes on their rifles . Never seen a one with a NightForce, SWFA or any other tactical scope on board. Same for articles showing pics of rifles used by Alaskan bear guides.

Yep, I've never hunted with an African PH either but I did have a subscription to "Outdoor Life" back in the day. I learned a lot from looking at the pictures of PH's. Most of 'em were wearing shorts and carrying their rifles on their shoulders, holding 'em by the barrel, and following a skinny black guy around.

I tired that but it just didn't work for me. The only Alaskan guide I hunted with in bear country carried a pistol, no scope. But in the pictures I've seen they all wore Sitka Gear, so I did get some of that.
Dumbest post award goes to this one for sure. Congratulations ?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just a commentary on your "real world" experience blackie. One thing I have done is write an article for "Outdoor Life," so I believe I've got you there as far as "real world experience" with what goes into magazine articles.

They didn't even ask me for any photos, just pulled some from their library and ran 'em. Showed an elk hunter in the mountains, all decked out with gear that had one thing in common---the auther (me) didn't use any of it.

Funny thing is, on this very thread you've got an Alaskan bear guide and a guy who's spent a ton of time hunting with PHs in Africa and knows them pretty well but you're not listening to either one of them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, I guess we're just supposed to chuck our old faithful scopes because they're bound to puke any minute according to the "experts" here. I've got a 4x Bushnell Banner that I bought back in 1989 I believe. It's been on I don't know how many rifles over the years and still works fine. Had another fixed Banner from 1983 that finally broke one day a couple yesrs ago. It only lasted 34 years, what a POS. Sure didn't get my moneys worth outta that one. Luckily my old Weaver K-3 is still chugging along and hasn't let me down yet. It's seen pretty light duty though, mostly on slug guns and .30-30's for no more than a few thousand rounds. I used to converse often on another forum with a guy from England who was a professional game manager by trade. He had a bunch of estates over there where he was responsible for keeping the deer herds culled and in balance with the habitat. He needed to kill roughly 600 sitka, roe, pere david and muntjac every year in order to fullfill his contracts. He had been using a pair of Tikka M695 rifles wearing Swarovski scopes for 10 years and roughly 6000 assorted deer the last I talked with him and had no complaints about their performance. Course as far as I know he never came here so probably didn't know his scopes were junk and doomed to failure either. Besides, these guys here shoot alot more game and have alot more riding on it so need more dependable equipment for sure.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just a commentary on your "real world" experience blackie. One thing I have done is write an article for "Outdoor Life," so I believe I've got you there as far as "real world experience" with what goes into magazine articles.

They didn't even ask me for any photos, just pulled some from their library and ran 'em. Showed an elk hunter in the mountains, all decked out with gear that had one thing in common---the auther (me) didn't use any of it.

Funny thing is, on this very thread you've got an Alaskan bear guide and a guy who's spent a ton of time hunting with PHs in Africa and knows them pretty well but you're not listening to either one of them.
Oh sorry, I didn't know it was all lies in the magazines. When I saw pictures of rifles in magazines with captions that said they belonged to such as Finn Aagard and were used in the bush for years I thought it was the truth. Oh and you once wrote an article for outdoor life so that makes you an expert too. Didn't realize that either. Maybe because I've only worked in the gun biz for 10 years, 4 doing general gunsmithing and 6 building 1911's but I've found out here that I don't know shyt about guns so naturally I thought you had to have at least 30, 40 years under your belt to be one of the high and mighty.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Oh sorry, I didn't know it was all lies in the magazines. When I saw pictures of rifles in magazines with captions that said they belonged to such as Finn Aagard and were used in the bush for years I thought it was the truth.

I never said it's all lies, now did I blackie? My point is, getting your information from photos in outdoor magazines is not the same as real world experience. Do you want to address my point, or keep trying to argue your own straw men?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Oh sorry, I didn't know it was all lies in the magazines. When I saw pictures of rifles in magazines with captions that said they belonged to such as Finn Aagard and were used in the bush for years I thought it was the truth.

I never said it's all lies, now did I blackie? My point is, getting your information from photos in outdoor magazines is not the same as real world experience. Do you want to address my point, or keep trying to argue your own straw men?
Pick and choose what you quote there scooter. You're still far from an authority and that ain't likely to change at your advanced age.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, I never said I was an authority blackie, but I do know what I don't know, unlike you.

And seriously, "advanced age??" I guess if you've got nothing else, go with what you think is a personal insult. I don't take it that way. My age is what it is, just like yours. I'll be backpack hunting this fall for animals that are four times as big as your eastern whitetails, in the Rocky Mountains up around timberline. If you think you can keep up, come on out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
LOL, I never said I was an authority blackie, but I do know what I don't know, unlike you.

And seriously, "advanced age??" I guess if you've got nothing else, go with what you think is a personal insult. I don't take it that way. My age is what it is, just like yours. I'll be backpack hunting this fall for animals that are four times as big as your eastern whitetails, in the Rocky Mountains up around timberline. If you think you can keep up, come on out.
I would have loved to hunt out there but time and money was always short. That's what happens when you have 6 kids to raise, go through divorce, lose two homes and try to make a living in a rural area. On the other hand with over 200 deer, untold thousands of varmints, turkeys, small game, upland birds and waterfowl to my credit over the past 45 years, I'm not really wet behind the ears either.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like I’ve said many times, I love Leupold scopes, I think they got a lot of things right. I just for the life of me can’t understand why they cannot make an erector that works as intended all the time. Instead they just increase the price in their lines as if I’m gonna buy a $1000 Vx5 or 6 with whatever flavor CDS when it has the same chit erector that’s in their $300 scopes. It’s almost retarded what they’ve been doing, and this is just one thread of many here where this issue has been discussed. The same old guys pop in with mine are just fine and then there are many like me that have been jerked six ways from Sunday on a crap Leupold that have had enough.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
On the other hand with over 200 deer, untold thousands of varmints, turkeys, small game, upland birds and waterfowl to my credit over the past 45 years, I'm not really wet behind the ears either.

I never said you were blackie. The thing is, you can be really experienced and successful and still not know everything there is to know about things like the internal mechanics and failure rates of scopes.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Somebody here needs to disect a few scopes and figure out exactly where the problem lies. Is it a design issue or materials or faulty assembly that's at he root of the problem ? Until that happens, you're all just guessing and pissing in the wind. I don't have the bux to be tearing apart my scopes so It'l have to be left to one of you world travellers with deep pockets. As I said before, it's likely many if not most of the scopes from the majority of the manufacturers are using basically the same design. From there it comes down to materials and workmanship. Perhaps a change in the basic design is needed across the board. Simmons tried that with it's "flex erector" system a few years ago but it hasn't received wide acclaim so maybe more work is needed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Unrtil that happens you're all just guessing and pissing in the wind. As I said before it's likely many if not most of the scopes from the majority of the manufacturers are using basically the same design.

No, they don't use the same design and it'snot difficult to figure that out. And you want to say everyone else is guessing, how ironic.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No, they don't use the same design and it'snot difficult to figure that out.
How do you figure that when nothing from Leupold, Redfield, Tasco, Nikon, Vortex, Athlon and several others are known for tracking or holding zero dependably and only Nighforce, SWFA and a coulpe others do ?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
19 pages and still going strong. Unbelievable!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Unrtil that happens you're all just guessing and pissing in the wind. As I said before it's likely many if not most of the scopes from the majority of the manufacturers are using basically the same design.

No, they don't use the same design and it'snot difficult to figure that out. And you want to say everyone else is guessing, how ironic.

How do you figure that when nothing from Leupold, Bushnell, Redfield, Tasco, Nikon, Vortex, Athlon and others are known for not tracking or holding zero dependably and only Nighforce, SWFA and a coulpe others do ?

Blackie do you have any idea how a Unrtil scope adjusts?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwp475

How do you figure that when nothing from Leupold, Bushnell, Redfield, Tasco, Nikon, Vortex, Athlon and others are known for not tracking or holding zero dependably and only Nighforce, SWFA and a coulpe others do ?

Nope never used one. I have used Weaver, Leupold, Bushnell, Redfield, Bausch & Lomb, Tasco, Simmons, Nikon and probably a few I'm forgetting and I think they likely all use basically the same design.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dragonfly
19 pages and still going strong. Unbelievable!

Yeah but 17 pages of it is post from Blackheart. Who as far as I can tell brings nothing to the discussion other than he just wants to argue with everyone!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Nope never used one.

Wel they do not use internal adjustments.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 20 of 28 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (35, alwaysoutdoors, 7887mm08, Bigd7378, Anaconda, 10 invisible), 1,503 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,544
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.