Page 21 of 28 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 27 28
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by dragonfly
19 pages and still going strong. Unbelievable!

Yeah but 17 pages of it is post from Blackheart. Who as far as I can tell brings nothing to the discussion other than he just wants to argue with everyone!
What have you brought ?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by smokepole
Unrtil that happens you're all just guessing and pissing in the wind. As I said before it's likely many if not most of the scopes from the majority of the manufacturers are using basically the same design.

No, they don't use the same design and it'snot difficult to figure that out. And you want to say everyone else is guessing, how ironic.

No, they don't use the same design and it'snot difficult to figure that out.
How do you figure that when nothing from Leupold, Bushnell, Redfield, Tasco, Nikon, Vortex, Athlon and others are known for not tracking or holding zero dependably and only Nighforce, SWFA and a coulpe others do ?

Blackie do you have any idea how a Unrtil scope adjusts?
Nope never used one.

Wel they do not use internal adjustments.

I have seen scopes that use adjustable mounts. What's your point ?

Last edited by Blackheart; 05/25/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah but 17 pages of it is post from Blackheart. Who as far as I can tell brings nothing to the discussion other than he just wants to argue with everyone!
What have you brought ?

Actual experience with multiple Leupold failures. I’m not on here telling horror stories about hunting deer in the Adirondacks with a [bleep] lever gun!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It would be interesting for members here with broken leupold scopes to tear apart a couple of them and show some detailed photos of the erector systems parts. In my 50 years of hunting and shooting, I have had only 2 scopes go bad. Neither scope was a Leupold. I now live in Eastern Europe and It would be quite a hassle for me to send a broken scope back to the U.S. for warranty service. So I promise that if one of my 9 Leupold scopes crap out, I will disassemble the scope, take some good pictures and post them here. Ya'all shouldn't have to wait too long. I've been using Leupolds for 50 years now, so I am over due for a Leupold failure real soon. RJ

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The thing I laugh about, “I won’t call them haters”, it the folks that don’t like leupold, strenuously, try to get their point across..... kinda like the “new” Remington 700’s..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rj308
It would be interesting for members here with broken leupold scopes to tear apart a couple of them and show some detailed photos of the erector systems parts. In my 50 years of hunting and shooting, I have had only 2 scopes go bad. Neither scope was a Leupold. I now live in Eastern Europe and It would be quite a hassle for me to send a broken scope back to the U.S. for warranty service. So I promise that if one of my 9 Leupold scopes crap out, I will disassemble the scope, take some good pictures and post them here. Ya'all shouldn't have to wait too long. I've been using Leupolds for 50 years now, so I am over due for a Leupold failure real soon. RJ

rj, how much do you actually shoot? And, what era of Leupold's do you have? There are a lot of guys here that have Leupold failures. It happens all too often. One of the LGS that I frequent quite often has a wall of shame (or shelf rather), that is stacked pretty high with bad leupolds. He says he'll send them in one of these days...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Judman
I hunt with leupold all over, I love em.... never had a failure. Sounds like a lotta folks do. Guess I’m just lucky

I'm the same way with muzzleloader bullets, I've always used powerbelts. Other guys say they're too soft and will "blow up" but it's never happened to me so I just keep using 'em with good results, mostly on elk.

If/when it happens to me, it'll be real and I'll stop using them but until then I guess I'm just lucky too.

I’ve used the shiit outta powerbelts on deer and elk,

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by Judman
I hunt with leupold all over, I love em.... never had a failure. Sounds like a lotta folks do. Guess I’m just lucky

you must be lying...…...the only scope I have had that failed was a Steiner it was on a 7 mag.....all my Leopold's have been fine....but I also use straight 6.....I don't twist knobs and all of that.....sight them in and leave them...….bob

I’m sorry bob, I promise I’m not lying!!!! Grin

I’ve got a bunch, cds’, m-1’s fixed blah blah blah, I’ve steel hung to 500 in my backyard, my leupolds work fine for what I do

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure glad I stocked up on popcorn early. I'm not quite sure when this became the Blackheart show, though? Talking about shooting lever actions and open sights on a thread about scopes and scope failures? And on it goes- time to get more popcorn....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

It would be interesting indeed. I wonder, for instance, if the internal erector guts and twin bias springs of a VX3 could be retrofited to a VXIII. Anyone know? If it could seems like that would be the best way to repair a VXIII for failure and more cost effective in the long run if it reduced the frequency of returns.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Im another that used a bunch of Leupold’s and have tapered back in the past few years. I still run a few of their 6x36 and 6x42 along with a couple older 2.5x8’s and 3.5x10’s but anything I’ve gotten in the past couple years to include their VX6 and such just hasn’t held up for me. Not knocking them but they didn’t work for me. I’m glad others have good luck with them and they work. I like to see American companies win but don’t like wasting time, bullets and powder chasing when a scope goes sideways.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

It would be interesting indeed. I wonder, for instance, if the internal erector guts and twin bias springs of a VX3 could be retrofited to a VXIII. Anyone know? If it could seems like that would be the best way to repair a VXIII for failure and more cost effective in the long run if it reduced the frequency of returns.

The supposed twin bias spring is no better than the original single bias spring. I’ve sent back VX3’s and they returned them with the same claim of erector rebuild on the repair order that I would get with the VXIII’s that were repaired.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sheister: I bought another Leupold scope just this week - seems the "Leupold bashing" and "Leupold bashers" have NO effect on me and and my enjoyment of the shooting sports, at all.
I own and use many dozens of Leupold scopes and have bought, used and sold dozens more over the last 55 years and have yet to experience MY first Leupold scope failure!
Checked my online inventory just now and I have 66 (sixty six!) Leupold scopes mounted on Rifles right today - and I have 5 more in reserve (not mounted on a Rifle yet)!
I know that any scope brand can have a failure but I trust Leupold for harsh condition and harsh recoiling usages.
I also own scopes by Zeiss, Bausch & Lomb, Burris, Redfield, Weatherby, Unertl, Weaver, Simmons, Tasco, Nikon, Lyman, BSA and Sightron - when its crucial though, I choose Leupold.
I am mounting scopes and lapping rings for two Elk Hunting Rifles right now that are owned by friends of mine - both of these "seasoned Elk Hunters" chose Leupold scopes for their Rifles (one a 30 mm tube VX-5HD 3 to 15 power variable and the other a 1" tube 4.5x14 variable). Both these Hunters have 45+ years of Elk Hunting experiences each, in harsh country and harsh late season conditions. I agree with THEM not a few Leupold bashers here-on.
Long live Leupold & Stevens Corporation a fine old American Company!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

What have you brought ?

Actual experience with multiple Leupold failures. I’m not on here telling horror stories about hunting deer in the Adirondacks with a [bleep] lever gun!

That's what trolls do AC....piss all over every thread they get involved in.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The supposed twin bias spring is no better than the original single bias spring. I’ve sent back VX3’s and they returned them with the same claim of erector rebuild on the repair order that I would get with the VXIII’s that were repaired.

Based on Mule Deer's post earlier, I still wonder what contribution to failures is due to the design versus quality control of processes and materials. He noted a marked increase in failures since 2010 and also pointed out that variables used to rarely fail (see quotes below). A few others noted that changes in management and personnel occurred although no one pinpointed a year or range of years for that. I.E., cost cutting, changes in production and personnel leaving either for retirement or to work for competitors. It would seem that design alone wouldn't account for an increase in failures. Sort of makes it all clear as mud.

Some previous comments for reference. Would be nice to pinpoint when the cost cutting changes occurred and when the experienced personnel left.

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Agreed....Leupold met the Vortex customer service challenge, but neglected to advance the engineering of internal components. Coupled with a change in component manufacturing to a lesser quality of materials made in China. These are facts...I personally know the former head of manufacturing and components ordering and the Lead of Leups QC department. Both, left-retired after 25 years at Leupold in sadness and disgust at the new management initiative of bean counting over quality improvements.

That’s the sad, factual truth of Leupold and dialing scopes. 😎

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As for Leupold, I still have quite a few, but mostly scopes at least a decade old, and the majority are M8 fixed powers, which for certain kinds of hunting are excellent. As an example, have had a 4x M8 on my lightweight 9.3x62 for around 15 years now, and it simply never changes POI. Even their variables almost never used to break, but since 2010 I've had to send so many Leupolds (both fixed and variable) that I eventually printed out a stack of repair forms so they'd be on hand.

Originally Posted by koshkin
Leupold had a bit of a change in personnel in recent years, partly because a good number of people retired (as John mentioned) and partly because quite a few experienced people went to work for Sig, who opened their shop a few miles down the road. Now that Crimson Trace is in the scope making business as well, I would not be surprised if they pilfered some people from Leupols and/or Sig. ... This kind of competition is not great for Leupold in the short term, but is probably healthy in the long term (general disclaimer: I know some of these people because of my dayjob and some because of my hobbies. The two often overlap).

ILya

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for offering to "take one" for the team. Not sure what the info will be useful for since we already have a notion about the What, and the Why probably only matters to Leupold, who suely knows.

Still have a few giving good service, and as an old man on a fixed income not facing anything mission-critical, I'll ride them out. As I've said before, the main effect of all this drama has been to encourage me to try new stuff rather than just reaching for the Leupold box. So far, all of the new players are giving good service too. Really hoping the VX-5 HD 2-10 hangs on, as it's a lovely instrument.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Some previous comments for reference. Would be nice to pinpoint when the cost cutting changes occurred and when the experienced personnel left.

Even an old retired guy doesn't have the time, energy, or interest to chase that rat down the hole. Maybe if I was writing a book.....

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Someone with firsthand knowledge might not have to do any chasing at all ... shot in the dark ... doesn't hurt to try ... etc.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
BSA, in the 70's, 80's and 90's I shot at shooting ranges, what I thought was quite a bit, 100 to 200 rounds a week and sometimes a little more, especially when shooting IHMSA and other low level target competitions, but during those times, I only hunted less than 20 days a year. I used Leupold scopes mostly, but a few other brands too, Nikon, Burris, Bushnell. Since I have retired and now live in Europe, I usually only shoot for sight in and practice shooting, when I can. The Leupold scopes I used were what ever Leupold was offering at the time in hunting scopes, fixed and variable. I do not still have any of those from the 70's and 80's. The ones I have now were made in the 90's up until around 2010 and a few a bit later, VX-2 1x4, 2 VX-2's and a VXR. Other Leupold scopes that I have and use now are 2.5x Compact, FXII 4x, FXII 6x, 2.5x8 VX-3, 1x4 VX2. RJ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As I've mentioned several times over the years, I know the folks over at Hill Country Rifles. For well over a decade Matt and Dave have commented that they've experienced a large percentage of failures with Leupold scopes. Canted reticles, not tracking correctly, POA/POI shifts, etc.

So much so, that several years ago they just came right out and stated that they don't recommend Leupold anymore.

I've experienced the same issues. Even for the "set and forget" scopes, it's often a bitch to ensure you've zeroed the scope because the erectors don't work correctly. It's a shame, as I prefer Kimber rifles, and Leupold scopes look great on the rifles and are svelte. However, if the scope doesn't perform as intend, and there is no confidence in the setup.... well...

I no longer have any Leupold scopes. No confidence.

For those of you who love your Leupold scopes and think they're working correctly and have no issues... that's great. I'm not here to berate your choice or persuade you otherwise. I could care less what someone else chooses to top their rifle with. For me, I've wasted enough time and $$ on Leupold scopes.

Page 21 of 28 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1minute, 117LBS, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 204guy, 59 invisible), 3,096 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,967
Posts18,499,261
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.