Page 24 of 28 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Jeff, your post says a lot more about your quality as a person than the NF. Both are impressive. 😎

Well done Beaver.....and I agree. Nice work Jeff. Hope the good deed comes back around to 'ya.

Yes for sure... That's the reports like to hear right there...

+4 ...

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good stuff, and I'll take your word for it on the "small eggs".........There are also many stories about tough Leupold scopes that aren't being told. A couple of years ago one of my PA buddies was hunting mule deer with me. His 7STW wears a 3.5-10 VX3 CDS sending Barnes TTX's at warp speed. I had killed a buck and we were using my Polaris Ranger to hang it up on one of the feed bin rails. To make a long story short, when I was finished I made a quick turn and gassed it a bit at the same time. HIs rifle was just leaning on the front seat/floorboard and when I made that move it did a little dance across the caliche "road". We all thought "ah ohhhhhhh". Headed to the pit and it hadn't budged, I was shocked because it took a really nice tumble.

I'll also say this......My 2-12x VX6 has made 3 trips to Africa. It has survived the baggage handling dumbos each and evey time....has not wiggled. Meanwhile my brand new (at that time) Americase gun case looked like a tribe of pitbulls drug it through the streets of J'burg.

Last edited by JGRaider; 05/26/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE! I've never been a joiner or jumper/hanger on, on or about anything, if something is good, I say it, if it's chit, I say that too, I'm actually going to throw a Polaris atv with a Browning BAR 338 in the scabbard wearing a Burris 1-3/4-5 scope in the bed of a Dodge 1 ton diesel truck, drive down and shoot the chit out of some deer and pigs this fall, so many people hate ALL those brands of equipment and wares. grin laugh

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by atse
Most if not all of your good scopes will have brass mechanicals inside. I know my swfa scopes do. They are resistant to moisture and temp. My old vari x II leupolds that I dialed had some nylon mechanical parts in them. They were not as precise in adjustment as my scopes with brass internals.
The only thing nylon in the Leupold is the little toothed "gear" that provides the little ball bearing with detents to click in. It aint got a goddam thing else to do but to provide "clicks" that's it and that's all. The old friction adjustment scopes didn't have the little gear so had no "clicks". The clicks don't really have anything at all to do with whether the scope adjusts correctly or holds zero.

Someone correct me if I am all wrong about this but "that little toothed "gear" that provides the little ball bearing with detents to click in" has a hell of a lot to do with proper tracking in a scope. If the detents do not hold, recoil or a bump to the rifle can cause loss of zero and if that ball does not stop in the center of the detent, one click will not equal the 1/4" or whatever it is supposed to at 100 yards. I did not know that Leupolds had a nylon detent ring. This might not be a good thing. RJ

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rj308
Most if not all of your good scopes will have brass mechanicals inside. I know my swfa scopes do. They are resistant to moisture and temp. My old vari x II leupolds that I dialed had some nylon mechanical parts in them. They were not as precise in adjustment as my scopes with brass internals.
The only thing nylon in the Leupold is the little toothed "gear" that provides the little ball bearing with detents to click in. It aint got a goddam thing else to do but to provide "clicks" that's it and that's all. The old friction adjustment scopes didn't have the little gear so had no "clicks". The clicks don't really have anything at all to do with whether the scope adjusts correctly or holds zero.

Someone correct me if I am all wrong about this but "that little toothed "gear" that provides the little ball bearing with detents to click in" has a hell of a lot to do with proper tracking in a scope. If the detents do not hold, recoil or a bump to the rifle can cause loss of zero and if that ball does not stop in the center of the detent, one click will not equal the 1/4" or whatever it is supposed to at 100 yards. I did not know that Leupolds had a nylon detent ring. This might not be a good thing. RJ
You don't even need detents for a scope to hold zero or adjust correctly. Like I said, all they do is provide "clicks". I still have an old VX-IIc with friction adjustments that adjusts and holds zero just fine.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am pretty sure that if a scope has nylon internals, those parts will be more prone to contraction and expansion with temperatures. They would be more subject to wear over the long haul as well. I am not sure if Leopold high end scopes still use nylon, or if they are metal. I don't have one to look at.

As an old Pontiac man (old man who had a bunch of old Pontiacs) I can speak with authority about nylon gears, timing gears in the case of Pontiacs. Also had some fishing reels and even some electro-mechanical telephone equipment with nylon gears. Certainly there's more than one kind of nylon, but I don't want any in the turrets of my scopes, dialing scopes or not. Seems like poor economy. Lube helps, no doubt, but how much lube can you put inside a scope before it becomes an issue?

Tim O'Connor of Leupold recommended in a magazine interview that users spin the knobs around a few times to spread the internal lube, and that advice cured a fussy VX-2 3-9 for me (so far), and may have helped with the others I bought since. Still, IMO, there's no excuse for questionable materials in a quality product.

Back in the heyday of Quality programs for corporations, the mantra was "Quality means meeting customer expectations, not goodness", Sounds like that philosophy is still in play. I just wish they'd own up to the real issues people are having and make the changes needed to meet current "Customer expectations" in the current market. A return to friction knobs on set and forget scopes would suit me just fine, if they stay put.

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/26/19.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

You don't even need detents for a scope to hold zero or adjust correctly. Like I said, all they do is provide "clicks". I still have an old VX-IIc with friction adjustments that adjusts and holds zero just fine.

No, you don't need detents for a scope to hold zero, but on a scope with detents, the detent is a substitute for the friction on an erector without detents. And if the detent does not hold, the zero will not hold. That is why some of the older friction (non-detent) erector scopes hold zero so well. There is enough friction on the adjusting screws to keep them from moving. If a scope erector with detents had as much friction on the adjustment screws as a friction erector, you would not be able to feel the clicks as you turned the adjustment. RJ

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No, you don't need detents for a scope to hold zero, but on a scope with detents, the detent is a substitute for the friction on an erector without detents. And if the detent does not hold, the zero will not hold. That is why some of the older friction (non-detent) erector scopes hold zero so well. There is enough friction on the adjusting screws to keep them from moving. RJ
And you know this how ? I just went in and checked a couple of my Leupolds. The detents seem plenty strong. I know they hold but it seems they're pretty stiff to rotate and may very well stay put without the liittle ball detent being there at all. These are VX-1 scopes and in previous generations were just friction adjustment. I haven't pulled them apart to look {and I'm not going to} but wouldn't be surprised if the only thing Leupold changed vs the old "clickless"models was to add the little detent ball/spring and gear and the rest is the same as before.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the record, several pards have scared me so I ordered a nightforce for my 22 creed.... 🤣🤣

I’m not replacing any leupolds though

Haha...I thought you were asking me what’s the best hammer to buy to remodel a kitchen. 😂😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Couple of Adirondack shots from last year....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Site seeing, hunting or both? Beautiful country 😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bwahahahahahaaa!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
🤣🤣🤣35 Remington country right there!!! Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[Linked Image]

The very elusive Eastern Adirondack mountain goat....

[Linked Image]

Had to do some logging to pitch...

[Linked Image]

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Elusive Adirondack mtn goat!!!! 🤣🤣

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bwhahahahahahaaaa!!!!!! grin laugh Your asss is grass now, and Blackie's the lawnmower!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Elusive Adirondack mtn goat!!!! 🤣🤣

Has been found...And, very soon will be hanging from a wall in AZ. Grins 😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW
Couple of Adirondack shots from last year....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In the Catskills again I see

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bwhahahahahahaaaa!!!!!! grin laugh Your asss is grass now, and Blackie's the lawnmower!

Haha oh fuuck!!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If any of you children are interested you can google "images of Adirondack high peaks" or "Adirondack high peaks wilderness images". Those who haven't been here might be surprised.

Page 24 of 28 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (44mc, 35, 345dl, 338rcm, 300Sav, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,575
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.