Hop To
Page 26 of 28 1 2 24 25 26 27 28
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Originally Posted by Blackheart
The Adirondacks are considered some of the toughest deer hunting in the US by pretty much everybody who knows anything about deer hunting in the continental US, which you and several of your dunce buddies here obviously do not.

First it was "the big country, as badass as anything out West", then it was terribly low deer densities. What are the densities there anyway?
As low as one per square mile in the wilderness areas. Though I think DEC officially has it as 1-5 throughout most of the park to include both public and private land. And you ain't going to be setting up on a good vantage point and glassing thousands of yards from one location. You want to know whats 100 yards over yonder you mosey on over there for a look. I NEVER said it was as bad ass as anything out west you thick headed jackass.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How does one “mosey”?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have hunted larger whitetail bucks in a few different states ,this type a deer does not act like a regular deer feeding ,moving or even bedding. i have seen these wise old bucks lay down and eat crap grass ,piss in their same bed and just stay in a 10 foot area for days,i have also seen them move in the cold and snow 3-6 miles in late mourning from feeding in good corn or alfalfa back to a bedding area in a mature forest hide in a couple of small cider tree trees and stay bedded for a day or two. true bowhunters see much more what whitetails do because we are out there many more days than most gun hunters ,nothing wrong with just rifle hunting but if you just gun hunt you just don`t see what a bigger whitetail buck does. read the book by the Wensel Brothers those boys know how to kill big whitetail bucks with just a simple recurve bow and a hand sharpened broadhead. good luck this fall,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The Adirondacks are considered some of the toughest deer hunting in the US by pretty much everybody who knows anything about deer hunting in the continental US, which you and several of your dunce buddies here obviously do not.

First it was "the big country, as badass as anything out West", then it was terribly low deer densities. What are the densities there anyway?
Generally less than one per square mile in the wilderness areas. And you ain't going to be setting up on a good vantage point and glassing thousands of yards from one location. You want to know whats 100 yards over yonder you mosey on over there for a look. I NEVER said it was as bad ass as anything out west you thick, headed jackass.

My experience hunting deer in "big woods" back east was the NF in VA. I gravitated to designated wilderness because those were the places I wanted to be during deer season, not so much for the deer population itself. Not a dense population and it varied tremendously year to year as far as numbers and quality. Many more and larger deer down in the farmlands of the Piedmont but hearing dogs barking and car doors slamming didn't do it for me. I'd rather see fewer hunters and fewer deer if that's the choice.

Lots of mature oaks, stands of pine on some mountainsides and huge hemlocks down in the creek bottoms and on shady northern slopes but those are mostly gone now. And dense thickets of mountain laurel everywhere, lots of them impossible to walk through.

Deer there depended on acorns. The year after a big crop was good for horns and numbers. The year of a big crop made the hunting tough, we'd jump lots of deer heading down the trail in the dark but once the sun came up they'd be laying down in the laurel thickets stuffed with acorns.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
Thick forest and low deer numbers? sound like where I live...... are the grizzly's bad also?
I would assume deer numbers would be comparably low in any heavily forested wilderness area. Grizzlies are extremely bad here. So bad and so elusive that nobody ever sees one.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blackheart, this thread has been kinda fun, although at your expense.... you do have a point, hunting whitetails in a mature forest with no Ag etc... is very difficult. How do you pattern such deer?
The deer in my area seem to wander around aimlessly, the only pattern I can find is they prefer the valley where people live in order to avoid the wolves.

I am not much of a whitetail hunter and the only time I seem to have a chance is during the rut... the bucks are up and moving and less wary.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hunt the Olympic Peninsula in WA or the coastal range in Oregon then tell us about tough hunting. LOL

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Blackheart, this thread has been kinda fun, although at your expense.... you do have a point, hunting whitetails in a mature forest with no Ag etc... is very difficult. How do you pattern such deer?
The deer in my area seem to wander around aimlessly, the only pattern I can find is they prefer the valley where people live in order to avoid the wolves.

I am not much of a whitetail hunter and the only time I seem to have a chance is during the rut... the bucks are up and moving and less wary.....
As anywhere they'll be where habitat/food is best. The vicinity of creeks, rivers, beaver ponds and swamps are always good bets, particularly with oak ridges above them.. Regenerating recent clear cuts are good too but not available in the designated wilderness areas here. We do have them in other state forest lands outside the wilderness areas and they are hot spots.The bucks wander alot during rut because the doe groups are so spread out, so if you have snow, finding a fresh track and following it is a good bet if in an area where you're unlikely to push it in front of another hunter or onto private land.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WAM
Hunt the Olympic Peninsula in WA or the coastal range in Oregon then tell us about tough hunting. LOL
I've been there too. It does look like it would be some tough hunting.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Baw Faw peak west of Chehalis towards the coast, brushy sumbitch, Hill’s get a lot bigger if ya go east towards the cascades
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Theres plenty of ag here but theres also tons of other food: acorns, nuts, browse, corn feeders, persimmons . They can avoid the ag fields and do during season if they get pressured. You have to learn the timber.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Meanwhile..... somewhere in the Adirondacks.....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Baw Faw peak west of Chehalis towards the coast, brushy sumbitch, Hill’s get a lot bigger if ya go east towards the cascades
[Linked Image]
That pic could be from the Adorondacks. Looks very similar. The slide mountain Wilderness/high peaks area in the Catskills doesn't look much different either except it's more hardwood forest than the Adirondacks..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's kinda what I was thinking, that's why I drove out and took a pic this morning, and the commander needed some vegetable starts!!😂😂

I would think you have more hardwood back there, we're mostly Douglas fir, hemlock, cedar with some maple and alder, alder being more common.... Lots of sword fern, salal, Oregon grape, briars and devils club for underbrush...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mature forest is very poor deer habitat. The unbroken canopy prevents sunlight from reaching the ground and chokes out growth on the forest floor producing very little food for wildlife. Combine that with long, hard winters in the Adirondacks and you have very few deer per square mile of habitat.. It is considered some of the toughest deer hunting in the entire US because of the low density and the vastness of the forest.

According to who? Can't be that hard given the fact that you claim to have killed over 200 of them there.
...The Adirondacks are considered some of the toughest deer hunting in the country by pretty much everybody who knows anything about deer hunting in the continental US, which you and several of your dunce buddies here obviously do not.

I have to say, JGRaider is likely considered to be one of the most successful deer hunters on these forums...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Mature forest is very poor deer habitat. The unbroken canopy prevents sunlight from reaching the ground and chokes out growth on the forest floor producing very little food for wildlife. Combine that with long, hard winters in the Adirondacks and you have very few deer per square mile of habitat.. It is considered some of the toughest deer hunting in the entire US because of the low density and the vastness of the forest.

According to who? Can't be that hard given the fact that you claim to have killed over 200 of them there.
...The Adirondacks are considered some of the toughest deer hunting in the country by pretty much everybody who knows anything about deer hunting in the continental US, which you and several of your dunce buddies here obviously do not.

I have to say, JGRaider is likely considered to be one of the most successful deer hunters on these forums...

Yep, no small feat killing mulies of that caliber....

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

He obviously doesn't know much about big woods deer hunting in the Northeast.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
And you obviously know nothing about hunting deer anywhere else....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I concur...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just a walk in a park...North Oregon Coast 😎

[Linked Image]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Page 26 of 28 1 2 24 25 26 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 163bc, 60 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,998
Posts18,500,010
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.