Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by 79S
Tacticool guns exist to amuse me.

The youngsters take them to the local range in droves. They can't hit anything they aim at. They give their buddies a poke by pointing out the old fart (me) with the flintlock is out shooting them. I don't enjoy the lateral blast from the flash suppressor when they sit at adjacent benches. Mindless fools they are. Sufficiently annoyed I will pull out the .45-70 or if uber annoyed, the .416 Rigby and pop a few caps. They leave, I laff and carry on.

Well aren't you just the bad a$$ at the range.. give me a ph ucking break..

No, I won't give you a break sweetheart. Work on your sense of humor a bit and get back in touch.

Oh yeah, how much trigger time do you have with a M16 or M4?

I shot one couple yrs back.. at 25yds my bud said I did pretty good..

Well, alrighty!

My point is in line with lvmiker's post a couple after your last. There's a lot of younger types out there that love to strut and give little thought to doing that well with firearms. I dunno if tacticool gets their heart to racing or what, but I've not seen but one or two out maybe 500 over the last few years that could hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle....at any range. I have helped a few that were receptive get back on track and after the fact they were very much more enthused, knowing that a) their gun was reasonably zeroed and b) they could hit paper out to 100 yards with consistency. The benches at the range I visit now and again are close, maybe 6' spacing and I'm being generous with that estimate. The blast from a flash suppressor with knock paper, pencils and sometimes brass off the bench. They are clueless about what they are doing and I do on occasion return the favor. Maybe they learn something? Like you know, there's 50 benches and only 14 are occupied, mebbe they ought not park next to someone just because they can? I haven't done it often, but I have made my point with large bore guns because I'm working on load development or some other quasi important thing and don't need the distraction of someone trying to pretend they have a full auto gun.

I don't have anything that would qualify as tactical in my locker unless you want to include an old M1 Carbine and I don't shoot it often at all. That said, I don't object to the tacticool idea and if people want to bust caps with such things I say "Go Daddy, GO!".

The reason I don't feel the need is my history with the M16. I toted one during most of the course of 2.5 years in Nam, interspersed with forays with the CAR15 and M3. I shot them enough to recognize they were all top drawer combat arms, and beyond that I have no interest in ever pulling the trigger on one of them again. Year one was the most intense for my use of such things and I shot that one enough to make about 8" of rifling from the breech end of the barrel vanish.

Google up some history about the A Shau Valley or maybe Khe Sanh, they were my playground for the most part. Some of my buddies are still there and I remember them on days such as this.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
30-40 Krag,

Apparently my tongue was too firmly in my cheek when I called my 1866 trapdoor .50-70 "tacticool."

But it was designed as a tactical rifle, chambered for the the first centerfire cartridge standardized for the the U.S.military, through a an exceptionally successful rebuilding of earlier rifles. It proved VERY tactical (and perhaps even tacticool) in the Wagon Box Fight of 1867, and afterward was one of the major factors in the military history of the American West. Maybe that does not fit the present definition of tacticool, but probably exceeds the requirements.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
You would be amazed at the amount of young guys that think all of the guns used in "Call of Duty" are real.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dd some people are to stupid to understand

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey, I just remembered that I have a flintlock...so I got maybe 2 tacticool guns. Sorta.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot in a monthly rifle match where we shoot from various improvised field positions, sometimes under and around barriers, out to about 350 yards. Mostly steel targets, some moving, some not, and most people shoot AR's. It's timed, so you have to hit as many targets as you can as fast as you can. Definitely not bench shooting. There are some younger shooters in that match who shoot very well. So not all young AR shooters are just blasting away.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Google up some history about the A Shau Valley or maybe Khe Sanh, they were my playground for the most part. Some of my buddies are still there and I remember them on days such as this.

S A L U T E ! Dan

DOUBLE S A L U T E ! ! to your "BUDDIES" and ALL our VETS !!

A Sincere Heart Felt THANKS

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In all my years/seasons afield, I've seen exact two hunters (a pair) packing what most would call tactical arms. Now the local rifle range is a different story.

1Minute
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
John,

No my tongue was embedded too deeply in my cheek!

I know about the 50/70 and 45/70 trapdoors and the role they played in the winning of the west-a greater role dare I say than that of either the Sharps or Winchester. The trapdoor was tactical-not tacticool. I think tacticool is a modern thing, brought about by movies, media, video games, and most of all by advertising. I was a cop and firearms instructor for 21 years and cannot believe how I took my life in hands by not wearing the latest tactical duds and having all the newest wonderful gewgaws hanging off my firearms. I believe the lack of hunting and interest in traditional shooting sports has fueled manufacturers in creating new markets. The biggest market has to be personal defense. I really didn't know that I could not defend hearth and home with anything less than a tricked out AR, and it has been oh, at least 3 or 4 weeks since I had to shoot my way out of the grocery store parking lot! I find it odd that so many folks nowadays think that if they can just buy enough junk they will become proficient rather than buckle down and learn to shoot but maybe it has always been like that to some extent.

Upon reflection, maybe some of us old Fudds ought to offer to help some of these new folks become proficient, rather than just noisy. A nation of people that would take the time and learn to shoot would be a really wonderful thing and something that not even politicians would mess with. I am proud that all my kids and my two sons-in-law like to shoot.

Oh well, someone has to keep the ammunition and doodad makers in business.

BTW, none of us are immune to the influence of the media. I bought a 1903 Colt in .32 ACP just because Bogart looked good with one. I may get me a repo Colt Paterson just to shoot zombie Comanches and a Roman short sword to fight off hordes of meth addicted Huns and Goths.

Last edited by 3040Krag; 05/27/19.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 3040Krag
John,

No my tongue was embedded too deeply in my cheek!

I know about the 50/70 and 45/70 trapdoors and the role they played in the winning of the west-a greater role dare I say than that of either the Sharps or Winchester. The trapdoor was tactical-not tacticool. I think tacticool is a modern thing, brought about by movies, media, video games, and most of all by advertising. I was a cop and firearms instructor for 21 years and cannot believe how I took my life in hands by not wearing the latest tactical duds and having all the newest wonderful gewgaws hanging off my firearms. I believe the lack of hunting and interest in traditional shooting sports has fueled manufacturers in creating new markets. The biggest market has to be personal defense. I really didn't know that I could not defend hearth and home with anything less than a tricked out AR, and it has been oh, at least 3 or 4 weeks since I had to shoot my way out of the grocery store parking lot! I find it odd that so many folks nowadays think that if they can just buy enough junk they will become proficient rather than buckle down and learn to shoot but maybe it has always been like that to some extent.

Upon reflection, maybe some of us old Fudds ought to offer to help some of these new folks become proficient, rather than just noisy. A nation of people that would take the time and learn to shoot would be a really wonderful thing and something that not even politicians would mess with. I am proud that all my kids and my two sons-in-law like to shoot.

Oh well, someone has to keep the ammunition and doodad makers in business.

BTW, none of us are immune to the influence of the media. I bought a 1903 Colt in .32 ACP just because Bogart looked good with one. I may get me a repo Colt Paterson just to shoot zombie Comanches and a Roman short sword to fight off hordes of meth addicted Huns and Goths.

Good post

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CRS
Count me in as one of the guys who do not like the blast or empty cases flying at me when at the range.

I always try to get the farthest left bench, so I do not have to deal with that. Plus I always double hearing protection when they show up too.

I shoot my AR with a suppressor and brass catcher. Makes it a whole lot tamer, and less rude IMO.

I always get a good chuckle when the tacticools show up.

Tell me about it. Was at the range today and a younger guy shows up with his girlfriend. He's all decked out with a damn police/tactical vest 501 tactical pants and desert tan boots. Our RSO had to stop shooting and keep an eye on the youngster. Mother fuc ker stepped out when we were hot on the range and got yelled at by everyone, then he proceded to lay his loaded AR on the bench when we called cold range to go out and check targets. I guess the kid is a cadet and training to be a "police officer".... Said our guns were old. I was shooting my bolt guns today. He asked if any of us "old timers" had AR's... I laughed and said, sure bring your AR to one of our black rifle shoots next month..... smirk wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by mart
I have always preferred blued steel and walnut to synthetics and stainless. I tried for years to ignore the coming wave of the black gun fascination. I've come to the conclusion it's a part of where we are going as a shooting and hunting fraternity. It will do no good for us to ignore those shooters or alienate them. I try to always strike up a conversation with guys at the range whenever I have to share a range. I go mid week and often no one or only one or two on any given range but I still try to talk to the guys who are there. Taking an interest in what they're shooting, even if it's not our cup of tea, opens up a dialogue and sometimes sparks an interest for them in different firearms venues and sometimes sparks a new interest in us.

I have lots of blued steel and walnut guns. I have a few synthetic stocked guns, I have a Glock now. And not too far down the road, at 60 years old, I expect I'll have my first AR. As we plan our move from Alaska to Idaho, an AR in 6x223 or 25 Sharps makes a whole lot of sense to me as a coyote calling rifle.

I'm not likely to pick up a black gun magazine at the newsstand but I'll do my best not to be source of division between us old, sticks in the mud and the next generation of shooters and hunters.

Mart - Don't go to Idaho. I am sure its a great place but you're an Alaskan through and through. You still can buy glocks, ARs and tactical stuff. But forego the movement to Idaho.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Tacticool guns exist to amuse me.

The youngsters take them to the local range in droves. They can't hit anything they aim at. They give their buddies a poke by pointing out the old fart (me) with the flintlock is out shooting them. I don't enjoy the lateral blast from the flash suppressor when they sit at adjacent benches. Mindless fools they are. Sufficiently annoyed I will pull out the .45-70 or if uber annoyed, the .416 Rigby and pop a few caps. They leave, I laff and carry on.

Well aren't you just the bad a$$ at the range.. give me a ph ucking break..

No, I won't give you a break sweetheart. Work on your sense of humor a bit and get back in touch.

Oh yeah, how much trigger time do you have with a M16 or M4?

I shot one couple yrs back.. at 25yds my bud said I did pretty good..

Well, alrighty!

My point is in line with lvmiker's post a couple after your last. There's a lot of younger types out there that love to strut and give little thought to doing that well with firearms. I dunno if tacticool gets their heart to racing or what, but I've not seen but one or two out maybe 500 over the last few years that could hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle....at any range. I have helped a few that were receptive get back on track and after the fact they were very much more enthused, knowing that a) their gun was reasonably zeroed and b) they could hit paper out to 100 yards with consistency. The benches at the range I visit now and again are close, maybe 6' spacing and I'm being generous with that estimate. The blast from a flash suppressor with knock paper, pencils and sometimes brass off the bench. They are clueless about what they are doing and I do on occasion return the favor. Maybe they learn something? Like you know, there's 50 benches and only 14 are occupied, mebbe they ought not park next to someone just because they can? I haven't done it often, but I have made my point with large bore guns because I'm working on load development or some other quasi important thing and don't need the distraction of someone trying to pretend they have a full auto gun.

I don't have anything that would qualify as tactical in my locker unless you want to include an old M1 Carbine and I don't shoot it often at all. That said, I don't object to the tacticool idea and if people want to bust caps with such things I say "Go Daddy, GO!".

The reason I don't feel the need is my history with the M16. I toted one during most of the course of 2.5 years in Nam, interspersed with forays with the CAR15 and M3. I shot them enough to recognize they were all top drawer combat arms, and beyond that I have no interest in ever pulling the trigger on one of them again. Year one was the most intense for my use of such things and I shot that one enough to make about 8" of rifling from the breech end of the barrel vanish.

I'm in the Army 21yrs, getting ready to drop my retirement. So I been around m16a2 m4 carbine etc. I never had a use for one until last December I wanted to shoot out to a 1000 yds and what a better way than with a 223/5.56. I been collecting data/load development etc. I been shooting in 600yd matches and a EIC match as well.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love nice guns.

Savage and Mossberg have built some nice looking guns.
So have Perazzi and Rigby.

But,

In some respects, the modern tactical rifles are superior.
They are an evolution of projectile launching tools.
As such, they are designed to take advantage of several hundred
years of accumulated knowledge, and be the best tools for the job.

Sorry if that hurts someones vagina, but our wood and steel rifles are
just high wheeled bicycles,
the taticool rifles,
they are modern motorcycles.

I'm with MD.
Flintlock to AR carbine, single-action to Glock.

I like guns. They make me a jolly good fellow,

I like guns, They help me unwind, and sometimes they make me feel mellow.

Sorry!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
These conversations pop up here regularly. As others have suggested, what you are seeing is progress. In a few years, ARs will be disposed of by the military for another rifle.

I seriously doubt that a lot of people here like every gun type. I am unsure why some cannot accept ARs, and just keep shooting their levers, single shots or whatever. This goes for the AR lovers too. It's called live and let live.

Some of you might recall when ARs came in more colour options than calibres. I have always been torn between the functionality and toughness of polymers and the beauty and lines of a wood stock. As a retired armourer, I have seen far fewer plastic stocks damaged than wooden ones. I've said this before: Plastic is the new wood.

[Linked Image]

Some of you berate other gun owners in the same way the anti-gun people speak about hunters and shooters.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's all good. I don't have to like everything available for my personal use to appreciate the excellent engineering involved. And, as I've noted in previous discussions, some of the tactical folks will drift over into the hunting camp. Might not be packing Mausers or lever actions when they do, but that's fine. The focus on LR shooting and equipment has resulted in some of us, anyway, becoming more capable marksmen as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I went back and looked at my original post, and the tactical stuff that uninterests me.
Well, I don't feel disgusted about it, just dulled by the trend that way and it might be a way for the industry to regain lost ground due to lessening hunting numbers. I don't know.
I do know that I don't them, won't need them but I like any advancements they provide for sporting rifles .
It does worry me that the trend seems to be less about a kid climbing the hill behind his house, his prized .22 single shot Cooey in hand and the borrowed stealth of the genius, mythical Big Game hunter we had just read about in Outdoor Life.
That innocence is all but gone, buried in our memories .
I can revive the thrill , however everytime I shoulder any rifle and climb any hill.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I never had a use for one until last December I wanted to shoot out to a 1000 yds and what a better way than with a 223/5.56.

Miniguns work better at that distance than the 5.56. Just sayin'.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Comerade, you're saying stuff like this inspires are ya?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You appreciate fine art integrated with function?

Instead of tools?

[Linked Image]

Me too.....

But now and then tools are useful.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
It's always nice to have helicopter support. But they are used on the ground as well. An older video here from Dillon. We called them "mini-tats" 7.62x51mm.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 54 invisible), 3,002 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,965
Posts18,519,560
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.