Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think it was three years ago that i ordered my first Contender. It wasn't my first single shot - I have some H&Rs and Rugers. I found that these carry well and shooting them is a delight.

I just got finished ordering another barrel. This one will be a 223 Wylde chamber, and is coming from MGM. 24 inch, stainless steel (bead blasted) barrel, 1 in 8 twist, Super 16 rifle foreend, full Bull contour (.810).

It will join a 30-30, 7.62x39mm (.308) and a 17 Hornet. The cost in Canuckian dinars is high for a barrel - $670 - but the exchange rate is at 1.35 right now.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yes they are. Don’t even want to start telling my story

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey Stev, Bill here. Is there someone in Canada to get complete contender? I've wanted one for awhile but never see any, Epps has never had any that I've seen, & none on line most other places I've looked. Would like one in 17 fireball so probably would have to order the bbl. after I have one in hand. 670.00$$$ for a bbl. but it won't cost much to install, so not so bad?? Have seen Encores but no contender. Thought I might hunt one down in 223 & then order the 17 from MGM , same extractor etc... ! What's the paper work like? Ok just fill it out & (wait)! Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I ordered my action from irunguns.ca. I emailed them and they did all the work. I simply told them what I wanted. It took two or three months to receive it. You have to provide your PAL no. and other information.

There are several other businesses that import the actions.

The barrels were all ordered through nine35.ca

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey, Steve thanks!!!! , Going to get serious about finding one, Thanks again. Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Steve, there is no known cure.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bill,

No problem. You shouldn't have any problems at all. Ron at nine35.ca is a good guy to deal with. He went the extra mile after some problems getting my 7.62x39mm barrel working properly.

Dan,

I really like how they carry and come to the shoulder. You might remember that I had some initial problems with a few minor things - no hinge pin with the action and a Commie barrel (7.62x39mm -.308) with a bad extractor. It also didn't want to line up properly with the hinge pin, but they were corrected. No problems at all with the 30-30 or the 17 Hornet. I expect no trouble with the Wylde chamber. They are fun, accurate and tickle my need for single shots.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...nder-action-wont-open-fully#Post12831618

Thinking about a 357 Max...

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Canuckian dinars. grin I'll have to remember that one.

I only had a mild case of the disease, mainly because I was afflicted (and still am) with Ruger No. 1 Syndrome.
I currently only have 4 barrels for my G1 carbine; no pistol barrels anymore. Two are factory (22 Match, 22 Hornet) and two are from the custom shop (32-20, 357 Max.). It would be hard to part with any of them at this point, even though I don't shoot them as often as I should.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Must be, as much trouble as you go to to get 'em.

I'm going in a different direction. I have a Henry SS .308 in the pipe, and want to see how versatile I can make it using light loads, sabots, and eventually some cast. About 30 years ago I played with SR4759 and 110gr Speer HPs, which were just deadly on a couple of chucks and a big fox. Those bullets are dirt cheap now, so I'm gonna lay in a few and see what happens. Still have that can of 4759, but also a bunch of Trail Boss. .32/20 on the cheap. Also have a couple hundred .22/.308 sabots and the seater. Most who play with those seem to be trying to make a .22/250 out of their .30 cal. I'm thinking of something in the .22 Mag or Hornet range, or even lighter.

Another nifty item is the chamber adapter that guy in Alaska sells. Someone gave me a box of .32 H&R ammo, and I also have plenty of .30 carbine on hand for my as-yet unfired (by me) Underwood.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You will like the max Steve. Super 14 and carbine barrel here. Cast friendly too. That big old 220gr rn lyman bullet shoots well. Can't remember the number. Not going out in the rain to the shop to check. Maybe later.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Next thing you know the government will mandate stamping a warning on Contenders and Encores......... "WARNING - MAY BE HABIT FORMING".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Allow me to list a few reasons to avoid having a Contender:

If you have a frame and stock/forend you can have a .....

.30-30
[Linked Image]

Or a .30 Sneezer...
[Linked Image]

Or a .22 RF....or CF...in LR or Short

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's horrifying I tell you!

They are a dream to tote around all day long, but you may reach a point where you need a barrel bearer and maybe a bullet boy. You have to carry so many different kinds of ammo it can get confusing. If you differentiate with barrel diameters and finish/scope style etc, it helps sort things out. Read awhile back about some poor (really!) fella with 4 frames, six stocks/grips, and 30 barrels! You just know a scope for each barrel is mandatory, right? May Zeus have mercy. I hope they don't repossess his truck.

Only thing I can add, is that after sunset whiskey helps. Or a red dot sight if so disposed...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Its a shame you haven't learned how to shoot yours well... wink

Last edited by OSU_Sig; 05/31/19.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You mean like this?

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
You mean like this?

[Linked Image]

Sheesh Dan, you missed the target 4 outta 5 times. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stuff happens ya know. -Shhhhhh-

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I believe these targets disprove the theory that the man is the nost important part of my shooter's triangle. It obviously must be the gun. laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now wait just a dang minute there Steve.

[Linked Image]

Ya see, they are all in the black. I was shooting with my eyes closed.

Wait a minute, wrong target. Here ya go.

This my Mod 70 Bobby and everyone knows Mod 70s aren't all that precise. It's 5 shots. At 100 yards. There's 2 groups 'cause a rattler started gnawing on my left ankle after the 3d shot.

[Linked Image]

And will your 10/22 do this? I din't think so.

[Linked Image]

You ever see a bunch of rifles under one roof that would do that? When I told them it's my way or the highway they all quit pouting and knuckled down....

Dan

PS: I just use the Contenders to kill stuff.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I believe that owners of single shot rifles are generally more intelligent than the rest of the shooting world. Why?

SS users are better shots. They don't need the crutch of multiple cartridges poised as back up. We're not overseas anymo'.
Most are contemplative, not hot heads. They have to because it takes a tiny bit longer to reload and fire...if they even need to.
SS users have a superior ability to assess and act on any hunting situation. They are working without a net so to speak, and must be able to quickly make to the proper decision.
SS users have superior hand/eye coordination. They have to be able to confidently work the action, extract the spent case, reload and fire again without any mechanical help.
SS users are not like lemmings. They don't follow the crowd, pursuing the latest "cool thing".

P.S. I don't own a 10-22. whistle

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a little bit of every kind of gun .I find that shooting my tc pistol two h&r handi rifles a lot more relaxing than the rest .muzzle loaders next

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My latest Carbine barrel just arrived, .357 Herrett. Other barrels are .25-35 Win and 6.8 Rem. Thinking a .414 Super Mag might be next...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I don't own a 10-22. whistle

I'm shocked.

How do you amuse the grandkids?

I have a fair number of SS guns actually, and a few of all the other kinds as well. Front stuffers, back stuffers, ratchet-slappers, and a few bolts cover most of it in the world of rifles. The one I'm trying to get settled out at present is a .45-70 Highwall. You don't wanna be trying the loads I'm shooting in Thumper with a Contender. Trust me.

I'll get if figured out one of these days. BP and cast bullets be fun.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 06/01/19.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
My latest Carbine barrel just arrived, .357 Herrett. Other barrels are .25-35 Win and 6.8 Rem. Thinking a .414 Super Mag might be next...

[Linked Image]

That's a fine looking piece of kit!

I don't own a 10-22. whistle

I'm shocked.

How do you amuse the grandkids?

With a Model 60. smile

My oldest grandson has had a long attachment to it.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When are you going to introduce him to the Contender?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SCGunNut, how you liking the .25-35?

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
When are you going to introduce him to the Contender?

I already have. smile

He has fired my 30-30 and 17 Hornet. This is him with the little 17.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good on ya!

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think it's a perfect cartridge in a lightweight Contender. It's a Fox Ridge barrel I ordered in 2003 because I had given up on finding a clean lever gun so chambered. A couple years later, Winchester did a small run of Angle Eject 94's in it and I bought one of those too. I've only killed one deer and one coyote with the Contender, using the factory Winchester 117gr load and it performed as expected. I hope to do more hunting with the Contender this year than I have in the past, with all three barrels. I forget how handy it is until I pull it out of the safe ever so often.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You mean like this?

[Linked Image]

Haha...yeah, something more like that.

Well done.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Taking the Super 14 in .35 rem to the range tomorrow.
It's the limit for me w my bum wrist.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You need a stock and a longer barrel is all. Don't fight the addiction, there are ways around problems like you're experiencing.

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've been trying to shoot some groups with my Contenders but I keep having these dang coyotes and chucks getting in the way!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Definitely addictive rifles. Picked up my first one in 17 Hornet just a couple years ago with wood stock and promptly added a Choate folding stock. Then bought 3 more barrels in 223, 204, and 17wsm. Then figured I needed a second frame to minimize the barrel swapping. Then decided to get trigger jobs on both frames to put them both right at 2lbs. Now thinking it would be cool to have a 410 or 28 gauge MGM shotgun barrel..... help!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Back a few years before TC offered the Carbine in factory form, i was shooting a custom version by Kendrick , called the Texas Contender...it was a light tapered carbine & i had barrels in .222 and .357. Guess that was about the late 70's , or early 80's maybe. It might have weighed 6# scoped, and it shot pretty well. I began to enjoy the weight & handling, and started carrying that carbine a bit.

As soon as TC offered it in a factory version I ended up with 2 of them: a Hornet, and a .223, soon to be followed up with an extra barrel in 30/30...It was about that time i got interested in playing around with wildcat calibers & the TC platform was an easy option for doing so. So, lots more followed. And i started hunting with carbines more.

I still hunt with them a fair bit, in all sorts of configurations, and an excessive number of calibers. and they are probably my favorite "walking around" gun for popping at crows & stuff, deer hunting, and general woods walking.

Lost a lot of my pix back when photobucket went belly up, especially of various handgun hunts & various TC's in pistol format, but will post a bunch of assorted pix.

For those thinking about maybe giving one a try, while they wouldn't be my first choice for sitting on a dogtown busting PD's all day, as a light hunting rifle they have worked pretty well for me. And, i've had scores of barrels that were very accurate.

Still on the prowl for "one or 2 more", though at this point its most definitely a "just cause i aint got one" sort of thing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

MGM 30/30 20" semi-bull 30/30 carbine, with an 8 point...that carbine shoots the Speer 130HP pretty well, when paired with CFE223..and that bullet is a pretty good deer/hog bullet at 2400-ish FPS.
[Linked Image]

TC Custom shop 7x30 waters, 24", Barnes 110TTSX with H335 ( @ about 2700fps or so)
[Linked Image]

One of my favorites, a .25x30/30 Ackley Improved, with 80gr TTSX's at about 3000fps...killed a lot of stuff with that combo, in both pistol & carbine versions.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

32mag carbine.......Trophy Trash Panda , 7.0gr AA#7 with the Hornady 85gr HP.
[Linked Image]

Coons -versus- K-Hornets:
[Linked Image]

============================================================

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Hollowing out pack- rats around deer camp, with a .17Fireball.
[Linked Image]

White Tails, with the .445 SuperMag Carbine, shooting 265 FTX's seated out long, over a case full of reloder7:
[Linked Image]

Hogs with the 25/35:
[Linked Image]

SSK 45/70, Hornady 350FP:
[Linked Image]

25x30/30ackley again:
[Linked Image]

whackin yotes with the Hornady 150SST from a 30/30Ackley Improved:
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
.411x444 Carbine:
[Linked Image]

my 358JDJ, and the blued one is a friend's Encore in .257 Roberts
[Linked Image]

.414SuperMag:
[Linked Image]

up a tree, with the 45/70:
[Linked Image]

5.7x28 carbine, with my squirrel hunting load...speer 46gr FN bee bullet at about 1200fps:
[Linked Image]

tupperware stocked .375 win carbine comes in at 5.7# scoped.
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
25-45sharps carbine, Speer 87's shoot pretty fair:
[Linked Image]

32/20 (really a 30/20) carbine:
[Linked Image]

25x30/30Ackley, this one in 15" tube:
[Linked Image]

41mag shorty carbine:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

6.5TCU carbine...carried this one around a bit last fall...27.7gr AA2230, with the 100gr Nosler Partition gives 2650fps from the 22" barrel.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
Back a few years before TC offered the Carbine in factory form, i was shooting a custom version by Kendrick , called the Texas Contender...it was a light tapered carbine & i had barrels in .222 and .357.

There's one in .30 Herrett on GunBroker right now ...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812610082

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
WOW !

grin

You are a loony !!

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i didn`t think there was a lot of interest in T.C. contenders ? Very nice Contenders and pictures posted. i think this summer i am going to take a inventory on what contender stuff i have and sell it in a package ,i know i got 3 or 4 frames one is silver frame,6 -10 or barrels all good stuff, i just don`t use it anymore.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by pete53
i didn`t think there was a lot of interest in T.C. contenders ? Very nice Contenders and pictures posted. i think this summer i am going to take a inventory on what contender stuff i have and sell it in a package ,i know i got 3 or 4 frames one is silver frame,6 -10 or barrels all good stuff, i just don`t use it anymore.

If any of the barrels are short carbines (like 16-20") I might be interested to buy. Can PM me if so.

O
O
I've accumulated several frames, barrels, stocksets over the years. Around 15 frames, 20 something barrels. The biggest thing to be watchful for is a disease known as B.A.D., Aka barrel acquisition disease, or barrel acquisition disorder. There is no known cure. The slang name for this disease is simply "barrel whore" .

Seriously, I've bought barrels online with my phone, from the men's room at work. Several, actually. and a couple complete carbines from gunbroker, too.

I can quit anytime I want. 😁

Last edited by outdoors1968; 06/08/19.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Just drug my Super 14 to the range today.
Inch and a half high at 50 yards. 35 rem 200gr Hornady Leverevolution.
3 shots at/under an inch.
w 2X scope resting on half arse bag.

Thing shoots plenty good enough for me!

Contender, easy open frame,
Try it at 100 when not so hot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your shootin' stinks fella....

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

I think it's a perfect cartridge in a lightweight Contender. It's a Fox Ridge barrel I ordered in 2003 because I had given up on finding a clean lever gun so chambered. A couple years later, Winchester did a small run of Angle Eject 94's in it and I bought one of those too. I've only killed one deer and one coyote with the Contender, using the factory Winchester 117gr load and it performed as expected. I hope to do more hunting with the Contender this year than I have in the past, with all three barrels. I forget how handy it is until I pull it out of the safe ever so often.

I have an old-ish box of Win. 25-35 ammo in good shape, and wander up thru the Carolinas from time to time. Lemme know if you have room for it.

I am..........disturbed.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Your shootin' stinks fella....

Dan....that one was one of very few that didnt spray when i capped him, he wandered around below my climbing stand for a while , and that .250gr .414 slug severed his spine right behind the noggin & angled though the chest cavity. (still didnt smell sweet though)

i moved the climber after that. grin

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by outdoors1968
I've accumulated several frames, barrels, stocksets over the years. Around 15 frames, 20 something barrels. The biggest thing to be watchful for is a disease known as B.A.D., Aka barrel acquisition disease, or barrel acquisition disorder. There is no known cure. The slang name for this disease is simply "barrel whore" .

Seriously, I've bought barrels online with my phone, from the men's room at work. Several, actually. and a couple complete carbines from gunbroker, too.

I can quit anytime I want. 😁

ahhhh, the deliciously sinful delights of wretched excess. grin
Heard about a place that could cure you for a nominal fee, them i said screw it & quickly decided the loot was better spent on more frames & a few extra kegs of powder. wink

[Linked Image]

6.5x30/30ackleys, for the twisty barrel...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

6.8, and 25-45 sharps:
[Linked Image]

.32mag, and 32/20
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
waiting for hogs, 7x30 waters....
[Linked Image]

.35rem, makin meat.
[Linked Image]

making shiny .30herrett brass:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

6.5TCU carbine:
[Linked Image]

.30reece (.30x357)
[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You Sir, are an enabler. thank you for the great barrel hanging idea...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Uncle just gave me a pistol and a carbine with various barrels in .22 LR, 221 Fireball, 222 rem, 223, 7-30 Waters, and 44. mag. I'm very grateful and excited to have them. I just hate that he 'outgrew' them. Time marches on. These will go to my kids when I am done.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A very nice gesture and a great collection of calibers.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Fyrepowrx,
If you don't mind, what is the brand of the stock/foreend that you are sporting on your contenders?
thanks,
kstockfo

Last edited by kstockfo; 07/01/19.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Originally Posted by kstockfo
Fyrepowrx,
If you don't mind, what is the brand of the stock/foreend that you are sporting on your contenders?
thanks,
kstockfo

the rifles are are all various versions of TC factory stocks, which TC used over several different generations of Contender variations. The more slender ones were standard issue on middle-production-period 'tender carbines, made by Choate stocks. i got tired of black & did some home-brewed camo on several.
[Linked Image]

The slightly wider beavertail stocks were the style used on G2 carbines, and are bit more hand filling:
[Linked Image]

have a few sets of laminates on handguns, by Georgia Jim, and i think some were by Dave Dolin, and a retired fellow who had a business called Otter Stocks. (John no longer is doing stocks though.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Lots of nice pix!

For those of you with several barrels, do you know of a hard sided case that could fit four or five 20 to 24 inch barrels?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That was a bit overwhelming G. I take it that is Mike's 257 rob. It is a beautiful thing all those tenders you got. Now post your CZ rimfires for our edification.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is one of the cartridges that I've always wanted. Thanks!

Don't show too many of those or I'll end up with another barrel!

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe that owners of single shot rifles are generally more intelligent than the rest of the shooting world. Why?

SS users are better shots. They don't need the crutch of multiple cartridges poised as back up. We're not overseas anymo'.
Most are contemplative, not hot heads. They have to because it takes a tiny bit longer to reload and fire...if they even need to.
SS users have a superior ability to assess and act on any hunting situation. They are working without a net so to speak, and must be able to quickly make to the proper decision.
SS users have superior hand/eye coordination. They have to be able to confidently work the action, extract the spent case, reload and fire again without any mechanical help.
SS users are not like lemmings. They don't follow the crowd, pursuing the latest "cool thing".

P.S. I don't own a 10-22. whistle

Wow!
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
β€œMolon Labe”
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, it is definitely cool to be a SS hunter. grin

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Single shot rifles rock....

[Linked Image]

They can be particularly hazardous when 2 people are in the woods at the same time with such things.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
You must be a strong person, Dan. It looks like you gave those pigs a run for their money. They look plum tuckered out after wrestling your rifle away from you.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Poor souls, they were just too high strung.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
First one in 1967 or 68. Have had about eight over the years. Now, only three, one the last model before the G2 plus two carbines. Calibers: 22lr (dead nuts accurate from pistol or rifle), 222(still working on this old octagon 10 incher), 30-30(one 10", one 21" long one great, short one not so much), 357(like all I've had, super accurate and hard to lead), 44mag (dumb short hot shot thing), 45 Colt(octabon 10", my deer gun), 45/410 bull (used to be fun but the Colt part is useless with anything above factory speed), 223 in a carbnie barrel...getting MOA with some loads.
Addictive, and not too expensive if you watch the shops for used barrels. Most I've paid less than a C-note.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
First one in 1967 or 68. Have had about eight over the years. Now, only three, one the last model before the G2 plus two carbines. Calibers: 22lr (dead nuts accurate from pistol or rifle), 222(still working on this old octagon 10 incher), 30-30(one 10", one 21" long one great, short one not so much), 357(like all I've had, super accurate and hard to lead), 44mag (dumb short hot shot thing), 45 Colt(octabon 10", my deer gun), 45/410 bull (used to be fun but the Colt part is useless with anything above factory speed), 223 in a carbnie barrel...getting MOA with some loads.
Addictive, and not too expensive if you watch the shops for used barrels. Most I've paid less than a C-note.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In an effort to circumvent the scammers, I'm putting this here. I have been looking for a carbine barrel and stock quite some time for a Gen 1 receiver. Looking something in the 30-30 7-30, 25-35 or even one of the JDJ's, though not looking for large calibers. Barrel wise, something in the 16-18" range with a thinner profile (not a bull barrel). For the stock, something functional (synthetic is fine). If you have something, feel free to PM me.

Thank you

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My new Bbl should be here soon.......... ordered from bullberry.com .................. speak to Troy

Last edited by muffin; 03/26/20.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by muffin
My new Bbl should be here soon.......... ordered from bullberry.com .................. speak to Troy

Whatcha having built ?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
18" 300 BLK, threaded for a muffler, 10" twist, intended for 200-220grn cast bullets, subsonic of course...................

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love slow motion splat in the morning. grin

I am..........disturbed.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by muffin
18" 300 BLK, threaded for a muffler, 10" twist, intended for 200-220grn cast bullets, subsonic of course...................

brother-in-law had MGM do an 18" stainless fluted, threaded, 1-8" .300blk that he has packed around a bit over the last year, its been a very agreeable barrel to work with. It shoots lightweights pretty well too, and has done a good job on a few deer with the Nosler 125BT's pushed fast.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My BIL has a pig problem that I think I can help him with.............. smile

( . Y . )
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Super accurate, light weight and fun to swap barrels. What’s not to like.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Put together a .22 Hornet carbine with a stock set, barrel and scope I found in the classifieds here.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Pretty stick of wood

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dat’s a cutie. How does it shoot?

Do I have to buy another barrel now? Hmmmmmm

I am..........disturbed.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nice stock on that pretty thing.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Here's mine. MGM 22 K Hornet. 1-12'', threaded. I've not had it out but will as soon as this home isolation ends.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice 2x4 there OSU. Be Well, Rustyzipper.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ha! I think the angle of the photo makes it look larger than it is.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's a handsome rifle, OSU.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The latest addition. 22lr with the old Redfield Bear Cub Scope 2.5x.

Last edited by John_Boy; 03/30/20.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dat’s a cutie. How does it shoot?

Do I have to buy another barrel now? Hmmmmmm

Shoots pretty well, 'chucks hate it.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 39 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.