Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Clynn
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by GregW
Doug is going to wish he had not opened this can of worms.

Leupold cannot make a post like this for themselves?

They could but won't

Guys, what about "This thread is for you to state specific issues that you feel are relevant so that they can be addressed." isn't clear. I did not start this to be yet another bash fest. I started this to hopefully get so serious input I can bring back to Leupold to increase awareness of member opinion of current issues.

In answer to "Leupold cannot make a post like this for themselves?" the answer is no in reality they cannot. They are not a supporting vendor of this forum and therefore not in a position to do something like this themselves.

PLEASE, use this space constructively so we can make some changes that you all have expressed is overdue. Thank you

Can you guys not respect Doug's thread ?

Can you not STFU Hall Monitor?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hill Country Rifles has spoken (and performed demonstrations) to the folks at Leupold multiple times over the years regarding the issues. Their words have always fell on deaf ears. Could be wrong, but I seriously doubt they'll actually listen to Doug and make changes.

They'll just rename a series VX-8ii-R or whatever and call it "new and improved".

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Hill Country Rifles has spoken (and performed demonstrations) to the folks at Leupold multiple times over the years regarding the issues. Their words have always fell on deaf ears. Could be wrong, but I seriously doubt they'll actually listen to Doug and make changes.

They'll just rename a series VX-8ii-R or whatever and call it "new and improved".

Did not know that, Thanks. They build and debug a ton of rifles per year so they should know. I hope you are wrong .

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Thanks for the effort Doug, it really is appreciated by most of us around here, as for the others....well haters gonna hate.

I don't think anyone here hates Doug. He's a good man to have around and his efforts are honorable as hell.... If Doug talks to Leupold and gets some changes done there, that will be better for us and Leupold. As far as your statement "haters gonna hate", well after you get burned so many times, it's hard not to hate. Let Leupold build a fairly lightweight scope that resembles their VX3 line, but add a quick focus eye piece, a good reticle (like the Burris ballistic plex, or SWFA MIL Quad), great Leupold glass, and a good erector system (most important change here) and offer it at a comparable price to what SWFA puts out (lets say in a 3-15x42) and let formid test it out for us. If it holds up and works right, I'll bet you'll have a swarm of guys like myself buying one...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'd like to thank all of you who contributed to this thread. I have been forwarding the constructive posts to some of the higher ups at Leupold and will follow up next week with a conference call. I appreciate the input.

You need to forward the whole thread to them. Cherry picking seems to be a grand thing here. I see it all the time. When you have guys that actually shoot and know what they are talking about, that have multiple Leupold failures and swear they will not buy another Leupold again, that is the kind of thing Leupold needs to know and see first hand. Lets not sugar coat this for them. If they would step up their game and offer scopes that actually work, there are many of us that would work our way back to them. Also, I think it's a good thing you are doing....but as another poster said, you will probably just get a nod and smile and thankyou from them and nothing is going to get fixed. They are happy with the way things run. Somehow, they make enough money to stay in business and they do have loyal customers that probably very rarely ever shoot their rifles, but love the way their light Leupold rifle scope looks on top of their newest wizbanger... Good luck Doug, you are going to need it...

I totally agree that this "is the kind of thing Leupold needs to know and see first hand. Lets not sugar coat this for them", however, I not forwarding posts that guys wouldn't piss on their building if it were on fire aren't going to evoke the changes in erectors, returning to zero, tracking, quality control, reticle offerings and cost of reticle changes that have been mentioned here. smile

I have also sent the link to this thread so I am 100% that they are reading all posts as well.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doug, the reason for cynicism is because Lowlight from SH actually went to their corporate office and sat down with them to spell out what the issues are and why they were losing market share in the tactical market. Not a lot has changed. I’d like to see them succeed but it’s hard to see past the end of your nose sometimes.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Doug, BSA is about the last person to pay attention to so far on this thread.

Thanks for the effort.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'd like to thank all of you who contributed to this thread. I have been forwarding the constructive posts to some of the higher ups at Leupold and will follow up next week with a conference call. I appreciate the input.

You need to forward the whole thread to them. Cherry picking seems to be a grand thing here. I see it all the time. When you have guys that actually shoot and know what they are talking about, that have multiple Leupold failures and swear they will not buy another Leupold again, that is the kind of thing Leupold needs to know and see first hand. Lets not sugar coat this for them. If they would step up their game and offer scopes that actually work, there are many of us that would work our way back to them. Also, I think it's a good thing you are doing....but as another poster said, you will probably just get a nod and smile and thankyou from them and nothing is going to get fixed. They are happy with the way things run. Somehow, they make enough money to stay in business and they do have loyal customers that probably very rarely ever shoot their rifles, but love the way their light Leupold rifle scope looks on top of their newest wizbanger... Good luck Doug, you are going to need it...

I totally agree that this "is the kind of thing Leupold needs to know and see first hand. Lets not sugar coat this for them", however, I not forwarding posts that guys wouldn't piss on their building if it were on fire aren't going to evoke the changes in erectors, returning to zero, tracking, quality control, reticle offerings and cost of reticle changes that have been mentioned here. smile

I have also sent the link to this thread so I am 100% that they are reading all posts as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have said it several times, I used to be a Leupold or bust type of guy, almost every picture I have of me with a dead animal from years past my rifle wears a Leupold. But after owning dozens of them I have lost all confidence in them. When you buy a scope from a myriad of other companies and when sighting in a load and the bullet moves the correct amount per your adjustment its just so damn refreshing. There are still times that I wish some of my scopes were more trim than they are but I will not sacrifice an accurate instrument for 6 or 7 oz of svelteness for an instrument that is a complete crap shoot mechanically. And a guy doesn’t have to spend $1000 to get a scope that works as intended mechanically. I just recently put a Nikon Monarch tactical series on a Tikka 223, and adjustments are dead on balls after 100 rounds through it at various ranges. C’mon Leupold pull your head out of your ass!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I applaud the effort Doug. It's out of your hands after that. Nice work, and let's hope Leupy get it straightened out.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Tracking, return to zero, failure to hold zero, inconsistent turret value, loose internal parts etc...

These are my personal experiences .

Same goes for me.

Same here.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum as well as a long time Leupold dealer I would like to attempt to clear up all this recent Leupold chatter. This thread is for you to state specific issues that you feel are relevant so that they can be addressed.

Please be as specific as possible.
Please feel free to PM me if that is better for you
Please do not post an issue that you heard your friends cousins brother-in-laws neighbor had.

Leupold is a solid company making multi-budgeted products. Some entry level and some high end. Obviously, a $200.00 scope will not and should not have the same expectations of a $1,500.00 scope. However, every product they offer can and should be expected to perform as advertised and be well made.

I look forward to this being a proactive and productive thread. Let's see what we can do to address whatever issues you feel are relevant.

If there is anything you're looking for please give us a call at 516-217-1000. It is always our pleasure to speak with you. Always give a call to discuss options and what would be best for your needs

Have a great day.

Please follow me on instagram at gr8fuldoug1 smile

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
516-217-1000
Please visit our web site @ www.cameralandny.com
Cameras,Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes | Camera Land NY
Long Islands Largest Camera and Sports Optics Superstore

I actually do have a bitch, stop making all the scopes for short actions, some of us still use Mauser length actions that require a long tube...would also like to see a slightly smaller occular housing.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
[quote=GregW][quote=Oldelkhunter]Doug is going to wish he had not opened this can of worms.

Leupold cannot make a post like this for themselves?

Can you guys not respect Doug's thread ?

Can you not STFU Hall Monitor?

No . Someone has to monitor you disrespectful children.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There are lots of things to like about Leupold scopes and I have a bunch of them. However, my recent scope purchases have been other brands. As has been stated ad nauseum, Leupold needs to fix their scopes so that tracking is reliable and zero retention is assured. If they weigh a couple of ounces more that's OK with me.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

GFY

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

GFY

I love you too .

Last edited by Clynn; 06/01/19.
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

Doug,

Most guides I know use Vari X Leupold low power variable scopes. They see the V3i as optically improved yet somewhat more fragile/unreliable. Remember, most of us start with .300 Win levels of recoil and the .338 is very common. The better guides tend to put their scopes through, at least, .375 levels of recoil. Up here, Leupold does very well with fogproofing and recoil resistance. Vari X scopes hold zero, are fogproof and can take recoil. The vast majority of hunters/shooters are set and forget guys.

Again, very few bash Leupold up here. It has a very positive reputation in the "set and forget" community.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'll second the request to make the cost of reticle changes more reasonable. The price increase on that service was steep. Also that some reticle options be made available again for scope lines. Others have mentioned the LRD, but also the German #4. And I concur with TomM1 regarding the VXIII 1.75-6. Wish it were still available. It's a very sensible hunting magnification range with adequate objective for 6x. I have two of them.

I don't agree with some who have mentioned being willing to pay more for a reliable erector, holding zero/POI repeatability. That's an expected requirement for a scope.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A scope should hold zero, absolutely.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I don’t mind paying for quality but I would absolutely not pay more for reliability. As stated a few pages back I already buy the top of the line Leupold hunting scope. It’s priced correctly assuming it’s reliable 100% period period. Is it?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Wp75169
I don’t mind paying for quality but I would absolutely not pay more for reliability. As stated a few pages back I already buy the top of the line Leupold hunting scope. It’s priced correctly assuming it’s reliable 100% period period. Is it?

No optic is 100% reliable, some are better than others.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Page 7 of 31 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (Anaconda, 10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 9 invisible), 1,400 guests, and 825 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,927
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.