Hop To
Page 13 of 31 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 30 31
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by tomk
Mathman, I believe I've figured it out. The wide duplex does double duty as a crosshair & a binocular substitute.

It may also have some ranging potential for ELR shooting.

The gap is too large to range anything but elephants up close. grin

Real men don't use ranging devices. Or bipods or rests.

Doug, as others have said, thanks for your efforts. I don't have anything to add except, if Leupold got serious about fixing the issues identified, lots of people would line up to buy their scopes.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Grinning--I don't know. Have posted several time seeking the truth, assuming it must be out there. But aside from possessing a crosshair its utility eludes me--except perhaps as a cost savings measure...:)

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will take bushnell banner glass if the scope works mechanically. people worry way way too much about glass. to that I say get better binoculars and spotting scopes. SWFA SS makes perfectly serviceable glass in their scopes. The only time I want better glass is shooting in mirage conditions over a P dog town. other than that glass quality is way down the list.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wp75169
Originally Posted by IceCut

What does my dislike for the Matel Toy quality stocks Tikka uses have to do with SWFA? By the way, Bergara has MUCH BETTER stocks than Tikka....
Back to the topic, nothing comes close to the mediocre SWFA glass, virtually everything at that price point is optically BETTER!

Oh it was just a guess, a pretty good one obviously. Cleared some things up for me on your position.

Anyone who thinks the the NXS has better glass than the 5-20HD has never sat behind them side by side.

Glass is subjective... A lot of times a guy wants to convince himself a far less expensive scope he bought is as good or better than a scope costing 3x as much...It usually isn’t the case.

I just pulled out my VX6 3-18. NF 5-22 NXS and a SWFA 5-20 HD.

The VX6 had the best clarity. Then the SWFA HD followed by the NF.

The SWFA was close to the VX6 clarity, but it was evident the VX6 was clearer and brighter.

Subjective? Sure...But I’m not trying convince myself which has better glass.

If I need to see the milk plant or sack size on an animal. The Leupold would do that...😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seeing the sack, and hitting it, are two different things. What, with that wandering zero and all....

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Akin to trusting the wobble...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All they would have to do is run a summer time add showing and saying where they had beefed up the erector system and they have a new #4...a real #4...reticle and say they believed in it so much that they were going back to charging $60 for a reticle instead of $200 and sales would go through the roof. Any guy in his right mind would not balk at paying an extra $10 for a scope w/an upgraded erector system. powdr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any guy dumb eneogh to pay extra for what they are supposed to get from the get go deserves what he’s got...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Seeing the sack, and hitting it, are two different things. What, with that wandering zero and all....

I would have added that at the end of my post...But, Doug asked us to play nice. I was being nice. 😉😎

“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
powdr,

Sorry to digress, I get a kick out of these OUTSIDE guys lecturing about hunting/shooting.
Regarding Leupold. Most bear guides I have known use low power older Leupold variables. Some have fixed power older Leupolds. Most start with .375 Winchester/Ruger and move on up from there in terms of foot pounds of recoil. Seldom does anyone gripe about internals and zero-hold issues. And, these guys risk their lives every time they go in the woods. Of course, they do not shoot their .375s thousands of times and don't dial their scopes. Most shots are up close and personal. But, there is no fogging of lenses etc.
Most of the scopes are older Vari X low power variables.

They get a kick out of dealing with their rich clients with their Kahles, Leicas, Swaros and S&B. Virtually, no one shows up with a SWFA or NF.

I have a marlin .375 Winchester .

Ain't no fugging way I would carry it for big bears ( maybe black bear over bait at the most) if I ever went on a hunt for em.....
A .375 Winchester is about the same as a 35 Remington energy wise.

If I was going after big bears with any rifle I have.
It would be my mod70 ot6 with 168 gr barnes ttsx bullets.

I would have way more confidence in the energy of the ot6 with barnes bullets
Than the energy in a .375 Winchester with 200, 220, or 250 gr bullets.

I think your smoking dope to tell the truth..... crazy laugh

Last edited by renegade50; 06/03/19.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Am not going to read 12 pages of Leupold anything. Doug, I find your thread pretty peculiar. Don't you think the company that repairs Leupold scopes already knows what fails on them?

This entire thread is a waste of time and nothing but a feel good exercise. If Leupold was interested in making a better scope they have all the feedback they need and then some.

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Am not going to read 12 pages of Leupold anything. Doug, I find your thread pretty peculiar. Don't you think the company that repairs Leupold scopes already knows what fails on them?

This entire thread is a waste of time and nothing but a feel good exercise. If Leupold was interested in making a better scope they have all the feedback they need and then some.

Fireball, i wonder where the Leupold rep is, that we see here from time to time? Ive asked him questions and then dont see or hear from him again for a while.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Wp75169

What does my dislike for the Matel Toy quality stocks Tikka uses have to do with SWFA? By the way, Bergara has MUCH BETTER stocks than Tikka....
Back to the topic, nothing comes close to the mediocre SWFA glass, virtually everything at that price point is optically BETTER!

Oh it was just a guess, a pretty good one obviously. Cleared some things up for me on your position.

Anyone who thinks the the NXS has better glass than the 5-20HD has never sat behind them side by side.

Glass is subjective... A lot of times a guy wants to convince himself a far less expensive scope he bought is as good or better than a scope costing 3x as much...It usually isn’t the case.

I just pulled out my VX6 3-18. NF 5-22 NXS and a SWFA 5-20 HD.

The VX6 had the best clarity. Then the SWFA HD followed by the NF.

The SWFA was close to the VX6 clarity, but it was evident the VX6 was clearer and brighter.

Subjective? Sure...But I’m not trying convince myself which has better glass.

If I need to see the milk plant or sack size on an animal. The Leupold would do that...😎

Thats a good report. Surprised NF was beat out by SWFA though...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by powdr
All they would have to do is run a summer time add showing and saying where they had beefed up the erector system and they have a new #4...a real #4...reticle and say they believed in it so much that they were going back to charging $60 for a reticle instead of $200 and sales would go through the roof. Any guy in his right mind would not balk at paying an extra $10 for a scope w/an upgraded erector system. powdr

Id wait until formid put the new scope through its paces and see if it were really better, before i paid any of my hard earned money on one.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by renegade50
powdr,

Sorry to digress, I get a kick out of these OUTSIDE guys lecturing about hunting/shooting.
Regarding Leupold. Most bear guides I have known use low power older Leupold variables. Some have fixed power older Leupolds. Most start with .375 Winchester/Ruger and move on up from there in terms of foot pounds of recoil. Seldom does anyone gripe about internals and zero-hold issues. And, these guys risk their lives every time they go in the woods. Of course, they do not shoot their .375s thousands of times and don't dial their scopes. Most shots are up close and personal. But, there is no fogging of lenses etc.
Most of the scopes are older Vari X low power variables.

They get a kick out of dealing with their rich clients with their Kahles, Leicas, Swaros and S&B. Virtually, no one shows up with a SWFA or NF.

I have a marlin .375 Winchester .

Ain't no fugging way I would carry it for big bears ( maybe black bear over bait at the most) if I ever went on a hunt for em.....
A .375 Winchester is about the same as a 35 Remington energy wise.

If I was going after big bears with any rifle I have.
It would be my mod70 ot6 with 168 gr barnes ttsx bullets.

I would have way more confidence in the energy of the ot6 with barnes bullets
Than the energy in a .375 Winchester with 200, 220, or 250 gr bullets.

I think your smoking dope to tell the truth..... crazy laugh

Hes more than smoking dope.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Fireball, i wonder where the Leupold rep is, that we see here from time to time? Ive asked him questions and then dont see or hear from him again for a while.

I friended him after he 1st came on.
I'm his bestest buddy.....
Sent him a PM after I also told him on a thread his fugged up company basically owed me about 180 bucks chasing zero.
Wasting ammo
Gas money
Nib replacement scope sold at loss just to get rid of it the next day after I got it in the mail.

I wont even buy a leupold lens pen.
The fugging rubber tip felt end falls off them also for Christ's sakes...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Id wait until formid put the new scope through its paces and see if it were really better, before i paid any of my hard earned money on one.

It’d take a lot more than a test from Form to get me to spend my money on anything with the Leupold name as well as a few other brands...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Doug, I find your thread pretty peculiar.

It's self-explanatory, that must be the problem.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Form is the rain on a sunny day....He absolutely thrashed my high hopes of new found optic greatness with Sig’s line of Tango6 and Whiskey5 scopes...bsa, good idea to wait or PM him before shelling out cash. 😎

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...re-what-happened-to-leupold#Post13844494

“Molon Labe”
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
bsa,

I know some are incapable of critical thinking and rely upon "hero worship" to make decisions for them. But, really, it is sort of g--y to suck up so hard to only ONE guys opinion. Maybe if you loosened your Oregon/Portland "man bun" you would be able to think clearer and make YOUR OWN decisions....it's embarrassing...really...
Regarding your knowledge of bear hunters up here....watching Life Below Zero on television does not count.....you actually have to bear hunt for decades.....
You keep your door knob turrets and neo-Tasco optics and whirl away at the door knob turrets.....but, if you ever have the balls to come brown bear hunting, you will almost NEVER see an SWFA or NF in camp.....
Now, go back to turning that door knob turret......

Last edited by IceCut; 06/03/19.
Page 13 of 31 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 16 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.