Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
^^^^^

There ya go. Taking things out of context. That car no way no how has a "95k pound towing capacity". No way.

It may move it. For a short distance. But it doesn't mean it's anything more than a publicity stunt.

Me thinks few folks on this site thought anyone expected them to pull 150 tons behind their pick up every day.

Think monkey think....

Ford, Chevy and the rest of them have been advertising the same way for years and I doubt few every tried what they saw in the TV commercials....

But then again, there is always that guy...........

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ERK
What something can pull and towing capacity are two different things. I had a boss put a 14 by 70 mobile home on the ball of his 1973 Chevy half ton pickup and move it. Why that pickup survived that I’ll never know. I believe that was beyond it’s rated carrying capacity. Lol. Ed k

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Remsen
The problem with Tesla concept vehicles is that they often are too close to what ends up being the production vehicle. The Model X, with it's idiotic gull wing doors, being the prime example of this.

If this image is what the Tesla pickup looks like in production, I ain't going to even look at one. But assuming that someone hides the blunts from Musk long enough to get him to approve a more conventional looking truck, I'd definitely be interested.

I bought a Model S (P85) in 2013 when they were just starting mass production of the model and even though there were a lot of early problems with drive units that needed to be replaced (multiple times) and a bunch of other things that weren't particularly well thought out, I was very impressed with the tech and execution of the car. So much so, I upgraded to the P85D the next year and kept it until late last year. I would have bought another Model S had they done something to keep it current, but it became a dated design with less useful tech than other premium vehicles so we no longer have a Tesla.

There's a LOT to be said for Tesla vehicles. They are very strong, performance-wise, and very efficient as well. In 5 years, we never had a single problem with either of our Teslas (over 100,000 miles) and the performance was as good after 4 years as it was new.

I hate the company, though, and I hate the lunatic fanboys even more. BUT, they are great vehicles and if they can get a pickup with 500 miles of actual range, have similar capabilities for cargo and towing, and it was priced at the same level of an F150 or Silverado, I'd take the risk on buying one.

Remsen,

Curious why you hate the company. I hear that frequently and it usually stems from a lack of support after warranties expire.

It's mostly a result of failing to deliver on promises. For example, when the dual motor performance version of the Model S was first introduced in late 2014 Musk promised that it would be full self driving. When the production versions of the car finally came out, they had autopilot but that basically was just lane keeping assist. Even five years later, the car is still nowhere near capable of self driving and they've actually cut back the self driving features. Same thing with the so-called summon feature...Musk promised that you would be able to call your car from anywhere in a parking lot and it would come on its own to you. Never came close to happening. So we waited 4 years for all the promised stuff to be delivered and much of it is still pre-beta and likely won't be available for a long time.

Because we lived within a few miles of the Tesla factory, we never had a problem with service, though I think that would no longer be the case with the huge increase in number of cars sold (and thus number of people demanding attention). The service problems were not our issue because our cars never had problems, but I know of people who have had months of downtime waiting for parts or service, so that would also be a problem had it happened to me.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's interesting.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Just can't get over a 400 mile cell capacity. Who would tow 10lbs and decide that 400 mile range is acceptable? Very few.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
People are funny.

The Ford Model TT truck had 22 horsepower and a one short ton rating. Top speed was around 22 mph. 100 years later, a F150 has 250-450hp, gets 15-22mpg and towing capacity up to 13000lbs and a 3200lbs payload capacity. And has a top speed limited to something like 110mph. Seat warmers, airconditioning, wifi, on board nav, blah, blah, blah....

Give the electric guys 100 years to work on their tech and see where they end up.

Regards,

Tom
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Their 100 years has been achieved. It is now. Google electric vehicles in the 1920's era plus and minus a few years.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Can't visualize a round bale on that thing, much less with an 800 lb bale feeder.
As for self driving - will it avoid rocks and washes in the pasture?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mfast
Their 100 years has been achieved. It is now.

That's just the point, there is nothing new about electric motor technology or even the current application.
Being a electrical engineer, I've ran numbers and configured electric motors into various applications all my life. I am more than aware of their possible capabilities.

The only things in any real developmental stage here are new battery technology, cooling and of course the ever controversial possibility of self driving.

We are moving in leaps and bounds because this is all simple stuff that has been in use for many years tossed into a slightly different application. The results are very predictable and the current hurtles in the road are quite short.

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mark shubert

As for self driving - will it avoid rocks and washes in the pasture?

14 years ago it all started off the pavement, they have come a long ways since....

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
‘300,000 lbs of towing capacity’? It's not a truck, it's a friggin" locomotive!

Skeptics will have a lot to learn when it comes to the capabilities of electric motors.

Motor might be capable. But bed looks smaller than my 8 foot F350 bed. Wonder if it can hold, oh say, 4500 pounds of rock, like we hauled 3 loads of in my truck bed in Wasilla the last few weeks?

Doesn't look like much to me, capacity wise, but you never know. And dang sure is fugly

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just guessing I'd say it's about 6 ft.

When Musk was boasting of his trucks capabilities I think he was speaking of his concept truck that looks much like any other dually you see on the street. And I doubt he meant you could put 150 tons in the bed....

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ll keep my Cummins for real Work... But I’d sport that thing to grocery store, pick up kids at school or soccer games/practices, etc...

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the most unbelievable part was starting price of $49,000!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tominboise
People are funny.

The Ford Model TT truck had 22 horsepower and a one short ton rating. Top speed was around 22 mph. 100 years later, a F150 has 250-450hp, gets 15-22mpg and towing capacity up to 13000lbs and a 3200lbs payload capacity. And has a top speed limited to something like 110mph. Seat warmers, airconditioning, wifi, on board nav, blah, blah, blah....

Give the electric guys 100 years to work on their tech and see where they end up.

Same thing was said about flying automobiles back in the '60's.....supposed to have them by 2000. Still waiting but it gives people something to argue about in the meantime.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JeffA
Just guessing I'd say it's about 6 ft.

When Musk was boasting of his trucks capabilities I think he was speaking of his concept truck that looks much like any other dually you see on the street. And I doubt he meant you could put 150 tons in the bed....

Not really so much the electric or Tesla part, its that its not a truck. Its a wanna be truck. Like the pickups you see without bumpers. Or what is that contraption, avalanche?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Its probably the future of pick ups. lets face it probably 80% of pick ups are pretty much driven just as cars, most of the miles are road miles, with little or no cargo. People buy them because they like pick ups or so they feel like they can carry what ever 4 times a year. A 500 mile range electric will probably do that and if it drives half as good and responsively as model S it would be a game changer. We have all heard all this before, Air conditioning in a truck...Never, Catalytic converter.. OMG, I would never buy a fuel injected truck, carbs have been working forever why change, Power windows and locks.. they will just break. Who would buy an automatic truck? turbo might be ok in car, but not in truck. the list goes on and on. Now you would have to work to buy a halfton without most all of those features.

About the 300,000lb thing didn't a toyota tundra tow a space shuttle?

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Their target market will most likely be intercity yuppies so they are probably spot on with their design choices.
All they are looking for is a vehicle that has room in the back for their snow skis or a day pack or two that makes them look good when they arrive at their destination.

The family SUV just don't cut it for some..

It's never going to hit the market at 50K, thats just Musk blowing hot air expressing his hopes and dreams.
75k minimum, watch and see, you'll be able to buy two decent trucks with what the opening price of these will be.

I think Musk just uses Tesla to motivate the auto industry to start developing EV's that people might want to own. EV's don't have to look like a golf cart. Developers tried that and nobody wanted them.

So far he covered the sports car with the ‎Tesla Roadster, showing performance possibilities.

Model S covers the family sedan with sporty looks AND performance.
Model 3 took the model S to new levels
Model X took care of the SUV thing.
He built a Semi that is some what feasible.

Now it's pick-ups...

Musk will never take Tesla to a mass manufacturing capable company.
He'll never work all the bugs out, and bring EV prices down to common mans range.

Those problems are gonna be up to who he sells Tesla to when he moves on and of course those that choose to compete with Tesla in the market.

In the mean time he's removed all pattens Tesla gained through all their R and D.
It's all free for every auto maker that wishes to use it.

I think his goals were just to push the industry in the EV direction and he's pretty much done that.
His personal interests are in SpaceX, he'll continue with that until dies.

With that being my POV, I look at all these cars and trucks he bangs out a little differently than some do.

They are not perfect, they are not cheap and their design sure don't interest everyone, but that don't matter, others will take care of all of that..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
still no place for a handyman jack

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The 300K of towing ability must be for the models with 400-500 mile range to tow the batteries it will use.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 31 invisible), 1,742 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,459
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.