Home
Posted By: JeffA New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
It doesn't appear to have any headlights, it must be able to see in the dark.
No worry's it probably will not have a steering wheel anyway......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

“It’s going to have incredible functionally from a load carrying standpoint, look amazing – but it won’t look like a normal truck. It’s going to look pretty sci-fi. That means that it’s not going to be for everyone- like if somebody just wants to have a truck that looks like trucks have looked like for the last 20 to 40 years, it’s probably isn’t for them.”

“It’s going to be a truck that is more capable than other trucks. The goal is to be a better truck than a [Ford] F-150 in terms of truck-like functionality and be a better sports car than a standard [Porsche] 911. That’s the aspiration.”

"I think it has got to start at less than $50,000 – it’s got to be like $49,000 starting price max. Ideally less. It just can’t be unaffordable. It’s got to be something that’s affordable. There will be versions of the truck that will be more expensive, but you’ve got to be able to get a really great truck for $49,000 or less.”

Tesla’s CEO has previously sought suggestions for features to add to the Tesla truck under development and he revealed some planned features, like an option for 400 to 500 miles of range, Dual Motor All-wheel-drive powertrain with dynamic suspension, as well as ‘300,000 lbs of towing capacity’.

https://electrek.co/2019/06/02/tesla-pickup-truck-price-f150-elon-musk/
Posted By: Fubarski Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
If ya can't put glasspacks on it, nobody's gonna buy it.
Posted By: deflave Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
I'm not one to scoff at the ideas of a guy that owns SpaceX.

Not saying it won't be a failure. But I sure as fugk wouldn't bet against it being a success.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Finally. A truck for the man bun wearing metrosexual boys.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
‘300,000 lbs of towing capacity’? It's not a truck, it's a friggin" locomotive!
Originally Posted by River_Ridge

Isn't that common knowledge?
Posted By: JeffA Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19

Skeptics will have a lot to learn when it comes to the capabilities of electric motors.
Posted By: Dutch Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
How much for the topper?
Originally Posted by JeffA

Skeptics will have a lot to learn when it comes to the capabilities of electric motors.

You're more polite'er than I am.
Posted By: Higginez Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Needs a winch to pull deer into the bed.
Fugly.
Originally Posted by Higbean

Avalanche style!
Posted By: RufusG Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
So how long does that bed appear to be?
Posted By: colodog Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
An SUT, sport utility truck? Technology is moving very fast and I feel like a dinosaur when I see the future...
Originally Posted by deflave

Not always..I know a lot of people that won't speak to me because I've told them to go FO...
I'm really short with stupid people....
Posted By: Jerryv Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Beat me to it! That's Fugly!

Jerry
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19

A switch engine anyway. And probably cheaper than a new 50 ton diesel electric. But it would have to be equipped with hydraulic weight transfer from the towed rail car to get enough traction to do anything.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19

It's not the 300K towing you got to worry about..... it's stopping that load! smile
Posted By: mtnman1 Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Check out the $500 Million Ford just invested in Rivian if you don't like the look of the Tesla. Might hit the market before the Tesla. Still a little yuppy lookin', but more like a pickup. If you want one that looks more utilitarian check out Bollinger.
Posted By: Remsen Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
The problem with Tesla concept vehicles is that they often are too close to what ends up being the production vehicle. The Model X, with it's idiotic gull wing doors, being the prime example of this.

If this image is what the Tesla pickup looks like in production, I ain't going to even look at one. But assuming that someone hides the blunts from Musk long enough to get him to approve a more conventional looking truck, I'd definitely be interested.

I bought a Model S (P85) in 2013 when they were just starting mass production of the model and even though there were a lot of early problems with drive units that needed to be replaced (multiple times) and a bunch of other things that weren't particularly well thought out, I was very impressed with the tech and execution of the car. So much so, I upgraded to the P85D the next year and kept it until late last year. I would have bought another Model S had they done something to keep it current, but it became a dated design with less useful tech than other premium vehicles so we no longer have a Tesla.

There's a LOT to be said for Tesla vehicles. They are very strong, performance-wise, and very efficient as well. In 5 years, we never had a single problem with either of our Teslas (over 100,000 miles) and the performance was as good after 4 years as it was new.

I hate the company, though, and I hate the lunatic fanboys even more. BUT, they are great vehicles and if they can get a pickup with 500 miles of actual range, have similar capabilities for cargo and towing, and it was priced at the same level of an F150 or Silverado, I'd take the risk on buying one.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
That looks like it would be a badass trail runner aka Ford Raptor.

“It’s going to have incredible functionally from a load carrying standpoint, look amazing – but it won’t look like a normal truck.

I don't see anyone trading in a dual wheel diesel(for that toy) when it comes to actually hauling and or pulling ANYTHING.

Flat bed version in the works?

Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
I’d be more than happy to drive one. But my 4 banger Tacoma 4x4 from 2000 ain’t going nowhere.
Posted By: 16bore Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
That thing is badass...I’ll bet it’ll hold at least 4 bags of groceries.
It looks like it could go places but certainly shouldn't be labeled as an actual hauler/puller type work truck.

You could chase cows with it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ERK Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Tesla runs out of money and into bankruptcy in about a month. Don’t hold your breath for this one. Ed k
That version is certainly different from the first.

Rodeo cowboys might like that....
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
It needs a voice activated control so you can say 'find elk', tighten your seat belt, and hang on.
Posted By: gonehuntin Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
I remember reading that Tesla's start being unable to be charged the closer it gets to freezing. How will this truck help ranchers working in sub-freezing weather?? It won't.....it'll be a fad for city slickers.

P.S. I test drove a Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X Crew Cab with the Cummins Turbo Diesel on Friday morning - it's a helluva truck, I was impressed:

https://www.classicnissantexoma.com...nissan-titan-xd-pro-4x-1N6BA1F4XKN509795
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
That's about as much of a pickup as Honda's pathetic attempt at one. What a joke.
Posted By: Dutch Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Originally Posted by JGRaider
That's about as much of a pickup as Honda's pathetic attempt at one. What a joke.

Lol, that was Consumer Reports' highest rated pickup for years. Always wanted to ask them to bring one by, and we'd put a bale in the back and run across the pasture.

If the back doors would still close after that, I'd call it a pickup......
Posted By: EdM Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19

Not saying it won't be a failure. But I sure as fugk wouldn't bet against it being a success.

Yep.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Ought to be a huge hit here in the oil patch. Gotta turn in your man card first though.
If I had oil money I'd buy one.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Won't see many of those in camp
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
That is a POS with out a trunk lid. NOT A TRUCK.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
3' bed?
Posted By: 700LH Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Yuppie look at me toy
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
It's amazing how many people can't see themselves living in the future. Like everyone is clamoring for the past. Hard to find more than a few willing to drive technology from the 70s and later. Don't worry, no ones going to make you guys buy one. Times coming where good old natural aspirated engines will be a thing of the past. At least grumpy old dudes are funny. I wonder, how many of you are still changing points on your vehicle because you don't like newer electronic technology?

I bet an old dude from the 60s wouldn't think of getting into the plush, pimp mobile trucks most you guys drive around, talking on your hands free smart phone to where ever your GPS tells you to go.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
My next door neighbor's Tesla got rear ended and it took over a month to get a tail light.
Posted By: Seafire Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19

Tesla is probably also working on an electric gun, so you can do just that...

Star Trek called them Fasers, didn't they?
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
At least with points the truck will still run after a EMP hits it. And an on-star command cannot turn it off.
Posted By: viking Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
My BIL has an X model car, I suggest he get one. They always like to borrow someone’s pickup to haul things...
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
It's amazing how many people can't see themselves living in the future. Like everyone is clamoring for the past. Hard to find more than a few willing to drive technology from the 70s and later. Don't worry, no ones going to make you guys buy one. Times coming where good old natural aspirated engines will be a thing of the past. At least grumpy old dudes are funny. I wonder, how many of you are still changing points on your vehicle because you don't like newer electronic technology?

I bet an old dude from the 60s wouldn't think of getting into the plush, pimp mobile trucks most you guys drive around, talking on your hands free smart phone to where ever your GPS tells you to go.

Please post up a picture of your new electric car or truck. Being stuck in the past, driving an internal combustion powered truck beats being stuck in a new electric truck without any electricity...
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Please post up a picture of your new electric car or truck. Being stuck in the past, driving an internal combustion powered truck beats being stuck in a new electric truck without any electricity...

Well, hopefully you'll be long gone before the ole combustion engine is gone. I plan to drive on, on whatever, when the time comes. I ain't scared.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19

Little slow here.
So you all buying 300,000 pound towing capacity from a pickup.

That's the combined gross of 3 3/4 normal semis.
That much can be pulled by a OD spaced truck, with a lot of $ permits and stipulations.

If you had a loaded rail car, and if you had a good traction situation,
Quite a few pickups could tow it,
On the level.

But don't even think of telling me you are going to pull that much weight,
On road tires,
Up a hill,
At 55 mph.

Well, hopefully you'll be long gone before the ole combustion engine is gone. I plan to drive on, on whatever, when the time comes. I ain't scared.

Absolutely, electric trucks are a long way from being daily drivers. Technology has got a lot to overcome to get electric trucks where the outdated internal combustion powered trucks are today. People seem to forget what a battery is made of and what it takes to make one and be able to recharge it, not to mention how long it will last and how much it will take to replace it. The environmental community is all about this technology too, and the impact of all the batteries that need to replace internal combustion powered vehicles will contribute more to pollution than these short sighted people comprehend...

Absolutely, electric trucks are a long way from being daily drivers. Technology has got a lot to overcome to get electric trucks where the outdated internal combustion powered trucks are today. People seem to forget what a battery is made of and what it takes to make one and be able to recharge it, not to mention how long it will last and how much it will take to replace it. The environmental community is all about this technology too, and the impact of all the batteries that need to replace internal combustion powered vehicles will contribute more to pollution than these short sighted people comprehend...

Well, no [bleep]. New technology has to start somewhere, doesn't it? Y'all are acting like Tesla is going to make you buy an electric truck at the end of the year. If you don't plan to buy one, why be defensive about it. I don't give a crap about some environmental reason to own one type of transportation over the other. The only thing that is constant is change. As I said before, an electric vehicle doesn't scare me. When and if they are more practical than what we currently have, I will welcome them, just like what we have now is better than anything made in the 60s, regardless of what our nostalgia wants to think.

This isn’t new technology, locomotives have been pulling trains for decades due to the pulling power of a DC motor over an internal combustion powered engine or steam, which was used well into the 1950’s. There was a necessity to have electric wires along the tracks or a huge Diesel engine on board to power that electric motor.

Being stuck in the past or getting excited for the future is still a choice of preference, but it isn’t a choice available now and I am more than happy to be stuck in the past. Do post up a picture of your new electric truck when you can drive it farther than 200 miles and be able to recharge it in less than 2 hours...
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Originally Posted by Seafire

Tesla is probably also working on an electric gun, so you can do just that...

Star Trek called them Fasers, didn't they?

The navy already has one.

][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Remsen
The problem with Tesla concept vehicles is that they often are too close to what ends up being the production vehicle. The Model X, with it's idiotic gull wing doors, being the prime example of this.

If this image is what the Tesla pickup looks like in production, I ain't going to even look at one. But assuming that someone hides the blunts from Musk long enough to get him to approve a more conventional looking truck, I'd definitely be interested.

I bought a Model S (P85) in 2013 when they were just starting mass production of the model and even though there were a lot of early problems with drive units that needed to be replaced (multiple times) and a bunch of other things that weren't particularly well thought out, I was very impressed with the tech and execution of the car. So much so, I upgraded to the P85D the next year and kept it until late last year. I would have bought another Model S had they done something to keep it current, but it became a dated design with less useful tech than other premium vehicles so we no longer have a Tesla.

There's a LOT to be said for Tesla vehicles. They are very strong, performance-wise, and very efficient as well. In 5 years, we never had a single problem with either of our Teslas (over 100,000 miles) and the performance was as good after 4 years as it was new.

I hate the company, though, and I hate the lunatic fanboys even more. BUT, they are great vehicles and if they can get a pickup with 500 miles of actual range, have similar capabilities for cargo and towing, and it was priced at the same level of an F150 or Silverado, I'd take the risk on buying one.

Remsen,

Curious why you hate the company. I hear that frequently and it usually stems from a lack of support after warranties expire.
Only gun I know of that Musk has built so far.
Before he colonizes Mars I bet he makes something cool to take with him....Just in case ya know...

[Linked Image]
He look like a James Bond villain.

As an aside, I heard the other day that even a totaled Tesla will fetch $15,000-$20,000. Guys that build drag cars are after the motors and batteries like hobos on a bologna sandwich.
Posted By: dale06 Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
I’ll keep my Silverado.
That is not a pick up
I think you are spot on with those numbers.

There is a guy that buys and rebuilds totaled Teslas, he paid 14K for his first total.

He battles Tesla, no one but Tesla is suppose to do anything to a Tesla, he is working on changing that.

He has a YT channel I tune into on and off that can be pretty interesting if you want to know these cars from the inside out. He'll show you what makes them tic from a layman's POV in a backyard DIY environment.

He was the interviewee I was listening to.

The story on that first build is pretty incredible. Had it all up and running (he thought) but still had no key. Contacted the previous owner after finding his address in the navigation system in the rebuilt Tesla. Asked if he had the key. Guy says no. They get to talking and it turns out that the Tesla rebuild guy owned THE exact same Corvette that the previous Tesla owner had years ago. It was literally the same car.

So after discovering that, the guy said he thinks he can find the key. And did. And told him if he wanted it, it would cost him $600.

LMAO. What a prick.
Posted By: atomchaser Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Cool concept but it's etherware. Musk is just trying to pump up the Tesla stock which has been getting hammered and he is probably getting margin calls on the stock he pledged as collateral for personal bank loans. He doesn't have anywhere to build it and no capital for tooling or engineering.
Posted By: Redneck Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
The problem is that Tesla is trying to simultaneously introduce two radically new concepts. The idea of an electric pickup is radical enough. Combine that with sci-fi styling and you one-two punch yourself. It'd be far smarter to come out with a traditional-looking pickup with electric power, and then gradually morph the styling in over a number of model years. People simply won't leap into something too "weird" and unproven.

They are born every day.....600 bucks for a key....

Tesla is gonna have to give a little as time goes on.
Like any other car, gear heads are going to have after market ideas and desires.
They are going to soup them up and tweak them out.
A gear head of the future very well may be that nerd kid down the block that is driving his dads old Tesla to school, he'll write his own software and install it that'll make the old beater pull the front end off the ground when he takes off from a traffic light.

Time will tell, things are changing but really their not....
Posted By: ingwe Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19

Avalanche style!

Q: If you bought one of those and became a driver for Uber...

Would it be an Uber Avalanche????

I'm trying to keep up with Safariman.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
People simply won't leap into something too "weird" and unproven.

That might work really well for them, they have been pretty good at mastering everything but timeliness of delivery so far.

We are experiencing the evolution of EV, if compared to the development of Windows, I'd put us right about between Windows97 and Windows98 right now.

It's all in a stage of BETA development. Drivable, yes. As good as it's gonna get as a final product? Not even close.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Can't get on board until they hit 1000 miles on a single charge. 500 miles ain't gonna do it.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19

Takes more than a motor to pull.

It would be swell if they gave a realistic number.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Takes more than a motor to pull.

It would be swell if they gave a realistic number.

That article is in extreme error.

What is funny is the boot lickers that are here saying it's true, and are too ignorant to even calculate just how much of a load 300,000 pounds would be. whistle

So an electric pickup that isn't even introduced yet has 10 times the towing capacity of an F550?

To be precise, the max towing capacity of Ford F550 is 31,900 lbs. Max.

Too funny.
Even assuming that the motor has the raw power to do that doesn't mean that it could do anywhere near that housed in a vehicle. Let's get real here. That is not going to happen.
It was clearly a typo. Geez...
Posted By: centershot Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Now when they burst into fire they can burn down a forest not just a parking garage.
Posted By: 700LH Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
When are they gonna put the internal combustion engine ran generator in the trunk so these all electric cars can run all day?
Electric cars are like cordless drills they can serve a purpose but will never replace a plugin if much power or longevity is needed
Those are called hybrids, 700. You may have missed it, but they've been around a while now.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19

The idiot victorian police just got one and have it in the national papers skyting about how wonderful it is...I would be more impressed if they put all the crooked victorian coppers in gaol, or hang them, whatever is easier.

Not sure how many would be left though after hanging the crooked ones.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Waygoner Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Rivian. The headlights are weird, but I like it much better than the Tesla.

Rivian Electric Truck

So, what is special about a truck that tows almost a ton less than the Ford?

T'was lost on many here... whistle

Believe any damn thing they read.
Posted By: akasparky Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Posted on June 27, 2018
In a series of tweets on Tuesday night, Elon Musk provided a number of new details about the Tesla pickup truck. Among these is the massive electric vehicle’s insane towing capacity of up to 300,000 pounds, or 150 tons. Such a figure is pretty much unheard of among pickup trucks, especially considering that even Class 8 semitrailers, including the Tesla Semi, are limited to 80,000-pound loads.

Nevertheless, Elon Musk’s figures for the pickup truck’s maximum towing capacity are actually feasible, and this could be proven by one of Tesla’s vehicles already on sale today — the Model X.

The all-electric luxury SUV is officially rated with a 3,500-pound towing capacity of 5,000 pounds. Nevertheless, the Model X has proven that it could pull loads far beyond its rated capabilities. Earlier this year, for example, the Model X was able to pull a 95,000-pound semitrailer on an icy road. The all-electric SUV was also able to haul 250,000 pounds of dirt from a Boring Company tunnel. Lastly, the all-electric SUV was able to pull a Boeing 787-9, which coincidentally weighs around 297,000 pounds when empty.

With two electric motors and dynamic suspension, the Tesla Truck could be seen as a stronger, larger Model X with a flatbed and batter range (Musk teased a range of 400-500 miles). Considering these specs, however, what feats of strength can Tesla fans expect from the pickup truck? A lot of fun possible exhibitions, actually.

For one, SpaceX’s Falcon 9 boosters are actually incredibly light, with the most recent versions of the rocket weighing around ~70,000 pounds empty for both stages. Thus, with the Tesla Trucks’s maximum towing capacity of 300,000 pounds, the vehicle should be able to tow three or even four empty Falcon 9 rockets. Even an empty Falcon Heavy, which weighs around ~200,000 pounds with all the additional structural strengthening added, should be no problem for the Tesla Truck. The logistics of a Tesla Truck pulling an integrated Falcon Heavy rocket would be a feat in itself, however, considering the rocket’s immense size.

Apart from its crazy towing capacity, Elon Musk also stated that the Tesla pickup truck would have seating for six people. The layout of the Tesla Truck’s seats would be quite interesting, considering that the vehicle’s design is based on the Tesla Semi, which places its driver in the center. Musk also stated that the seats of the truck would be large enough to fit a person like iconic WWF (now WWE) wrestler Andre the Giant, who is 7’4″. Based on Musk’s tweets, the Tesla Truck would definitely be marketed as an all-around utility vehicle. It would have a 240-volt connection for heavy-duty tools, and even an air compressor to run other equipment. It would also have an iconic design, much like the classic Ford Bronco, which Musk says “rocks.”

Tesla is expected to start manufacturing the Tesla Truck sometime after the production rollout of the Model Y crossover SUV. With the Model Y expected to see a release either late 2018 or sometime next year, the Tesla Truck’s official unveiling would likely be scheduled for 2020 at the earliest.
^^^^^

There ya go. Taking things out of context. That car no way no how has a "95k pound towing capacity". No way.

It may move it. For a short distance. But it doesn't mean it's anything more than a publicity stunt.
Originally Posted by akasparky

Posted on June 27, 2018
In a series of tweets on Tuesday night, Elon Musk provided a number of new details about the Tesla pickup truck. Among these is the massive electric vehicle’s insane towing capacity of up to 300,000 pounds, or 150 tons. Such a figure is pretty much unheard of among pickup trucks, especially considering that even Class 8 semitrailers, including the Tesla Semi, are limited to 80,000-pound loads.

Bwahahahaha!

I have some ocean front property to sell in Arizona too.

Interested? grin
Posted By: luv2safari Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19

Avalanche style!

They put an Avalanche and Subaru Brat into a shaker, and this is what came out. sick
Posted By: ERK Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19
What something can pull and towing capacity are two different things. I had a boss put a 14 by 70 mobile home on the ball of his 1973 Chevy half ton pickup and move it. Why that pickup survived that I’ll never know. I believe that was beyond it’s rated carrying capacity. Lol. He also pulled a 4 bottom plow with the same pickup in the field. Ed k
^^^^^

There ya go. Taking things out of context. That car no way no how has a "95k pound towing capacity". No way.

It may move it. For a short distance. But it doesn't mean it's anything more than a publicity stunt.

Me thinks few folks on this site thought anyone expected them to pull 150 tons behind their pick up every day.

Think monkey think....

Ford, Chevy and the rest of them have been advertising the same way for years and I doubt few every tried what they saw in the TV commercials....

But then again, there is always that guy...........

Originally Posted by ERK
What something can pull and towing capacity are two different things. I had a boss put a 14 by 70 mobile home on the ball of his 1973 Chevy half ton pickup and move it. Why that pickup survived that I’ll never know. I believe that was beyond it’s rated carrying capacity. Lol. Ed k

Posted By: Remsen Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/03/19

Remsen,

Curious why you hate the company. I hear that frequently and it usually stems from a lack of support after warranties expire.

It's mostly a result of failing to deliver on promises. For example, when the dual motor performance version of the Model S was first introduced in late 2014 Musk promised that it would be full self driving. When the production versions of the car finally came out, they had autopilot but that basically was just lane keeping assist. Even five years later, the car is still nowhere near capable of self driving and they've actually cut back the self driving features. Same thing with the so-called summon feature...Musk promised that you would be able to call your car from anywhere in a parking lot and it would come on its own to you. Never came close to happening. So we waited 4 years for all the promised stuff to be delivered and much of it is still pre-beta and likely won't be available for a long time.

Because we lived within a few miles of the Tesla factory, we never had a problem with service, though I think that would no longer be the case with the huge increase in number of cars sold (and thus number of people demanding attention). The service problems were not our issue because our cars never had problems, but I know of people who have had months of downtime waiting for parts or service, so that would also be a problem had it happened to me.
That's interesting.

Thanks.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
Just can't get over a 400 mile cell capacity. Who would tow 10lbs and decide that 400 mile range is acceptable? Very few.
Posted By: tominboise Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
People are funny.

The Ford Model TT truck had 22 horsepower and a one short ton rating. Top speed was around 22 mph. 100 years later, a F150 has 250-450hp, gets 15-22mpg and towing capacity up to 13000lbs and a 3200lbs payload capacity. And has a top speed limited to something like 110mph. Seat warmers, airconditioning, wifi, on board nav, blah, blah, blah....

Give the electric guys 100 years to work on their tech and see where they end up.
Posted By: mfast Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
Their 100 years has been achieved. It is now. Google electric vehicles in the 1920's era plus and minus a few years.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
Can't visualize a round bale on that thing, much less with an 800 lb bale feeder.
As for self driving - will it avoid rocks and washes in the pasture?
Posted By: JeffA Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
Originally Posted by mfast
Their 100 years has been achieved. It is now.

That's just the point, there is nothing new about electric motor technology or even the current application.
Being a electrical engineer, I've ran numbers and configured electric motors into various applications all my life. I am more than aware of their possible capabilities.

The only things in any real developmental stage here are new battery technology, cooling and of course the ever controversial possibility of self driving.

We are moving in leaps and bounds because this is all simple stuff that has been in use for many years tossed into a slightly different application. The results are very predictable and the current hurtles in the road are quite short.
Originally Posted by mark shubert

As for self driving - will it avoid rocks and washes in the pasture?

14 years ago it all started off the pavement, they have come a long ways since....

Posted By: rost495 Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19

Motor might be capable. But bed looks smaller than my 8 foot F350 bed. Wonder if it can hold, oh say, 4500 pounds of rock, like we hauled 3 loads of in my truck bed in Wasilla the last few weeks?

Doesn't look like much to me, capacity wise, but you never know. And dang sure is fugly
Just guessing I'd say it's about 6 ft.

When Musk was boasting of his trucks capabilities I think he was speaking of his concept truck that looks much like any other dually you see on the street. And I doubt he meant you could put 150 tons in the bed....
Posted By: Dre Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
I’ll keep my Cummins for real Work... But I’d sport that thing to grocery store, pick up kids at school or soccer games/practices, etc...
Posted By: Sycamore Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
the most unbelievable part was starting price of $49,000!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
Originally Posted by tominboise
People are funny.

The Ford Model TT truck had 22 horsepower and a one short ton rating. Top speed was around 22 mph. 100 years later, a F150 has 250-450hp, gets 15-22mpg and towing capacity up to 13000lbs and a 3200lbs payload capacity. And has a top speed limited to something like 110mph. Seat warmers, airconditioning, wifi, on board nav, blah, blah, blah....

Give the electric guys 100 years to work on their tech and see where they end up.

Same thing was said about flying automobiles back in the '60's.....supposed to have them by 2000. Still waiting but it gives people something to argue about in the meantime.
Posted By: rost495 Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
Just guessing I'd say it's about 6 ft.

When Musk was boasting of his trucks capabilities I think he was speaking of his concept truck that looks much like any other dually you see on the street. And I doubt he meant you could put 150 tons in the bed....

Not really so much the electric or Tesla part, its that its not a truck. Its a wanna be truck. Like the pickups you see without bumpers. Or what is that contraption, avalanche?
Posted By: noKnees Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
Its probably the future of pick ups. lets face it probably 80% of pick ups are pretty much driven just as cars, most of the miles are road miles, with little or no cargo. People buy them because they like pick ups or so they feel like they can carry what ever 4 times a year. A 500 mile range electric will probably do that and if it drives half as good and responsively as model S it would be a game changer. We have all heard all this before, Air conditioning in a truck...Never, Catalytic converter.. OMG, I would never buy a fuel injected truck, carbs have been working forever why change, Power windows and locks.. they will just break. Who would buy an automatic truck? turbo might be ok in car, but not in truck. the list goes on and on. Now you would have to work to buy a halfton without most all of those features.

About the 300,000lb thing didn't a toyota tundra tow a space shuttle?
Their target market will most likely be intercity yuppies so they are probably spot on with their design choices.
All they are looking for is a vehicle that has room in the back for their snow skis or a day pack or two that makes them look good when they arrive at their destination.

The family SUV just don't cut it for some..

It's never going to hit the market at 50K, thats just Musk blowing hot air expressing his hopes and dreams.
75k minimum, watch and see, you'll be able to buy two decent trucks with what the opening price of these will be.

I think Musk just uses Tesla to motivate the auto industry to start developing EV's that people might want to own. EV's don't have to look like a golf cart. Developers tried that and nobody wanted them.

So far he covered the sports car with the ‎Tesla Roadster, showing performance possibilities.

Model S covers the family sedan with sporty looks AND performance.
Model 3 took the model S to new levels
Model X took care of the SUV thing.
He built a Semi that is some what feasible.

Now it's pick-ups...

Musk will never take Tesla to a mass manufacturing capable company.
He'll never work all the bugs out, and bring EV prices down to common mans range.

Those problems are gonna be up to who he sells Tesla to when he moves on and of course those that choose to compete with Tesla in the market.

In the mean time he's removed all pattens Tesla gained through all their R and D.
It's all free for every auto maker that wishes to use it.

I think his goals were just to push the industry in the EV direction and he's pretty much done that.
His personal interests are in SpaceX, he'll continue with that until dies.

With that being my POV, I look at all these cars and trucks he bangs out a little differently than some do.

They are not perfect, they are not cheap and their design sure don't interest everyone, but that don't matter, others will take care of all of that..
Posted By: watch4bear Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
still no place for a handyman jack
Posted By: RickyD Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
The 300K of towing ability must be for the models with 400-500 mile range to tow the batteries it will use.
It'll probably tow that 300,000 lbs about 1/2 mile before recharging is necessary. I heard all about how badass these Bad Boy Buggies are . Guys brought one out to our mule deer ranch, which is very, very sandy country and it made it about 20 minutes before dying. Not impressed, needless to say. Towed it back to camp with the Polaris Ranger 500, carbed model.
Posted By: deflave Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
Have any of you Tesla naysayers ever looked at one or spoken to an owner?
Invest all of your wife's money in it instead of Exxon, Shell, or Chevron and see how that turns out.
Invest all of your wife's money in it instead of Exxon, Shell, or Chevron and see how that turns out.

LMAO
For those that don’t speak Texan, that meant “no.”
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19

laugh

No doubt.

I don't care if others invest, but it's not in my portfolio, nor will it be.

Especially after this stuff.

Elon Musk Charged With Securities Fraud for Misleading Tweets

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2018-219

Washington D.C., Sept. 27, 2018 —

The Securities and Exchange Commission today charged Elon Musk, CEO and Chairman of Silicon Valley-based Tesla Inc., with securities fraud for a series of false and misleading tweets about a potential transaction to take Tesla private.

^^^^^ Kinda puts that 300,000 pound towing statement in perspective, doesn't it?
Posted By: 700LH Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
So what do ya do when your 40 miles away from home have about 50 miles of juice left in the tank and need another 100 or 200 miles right now?
Plug in a charged battery?
These cars are for people that want to look cool, narcissist types that have little alligators on their shirt
Posted By: Remsen Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
Originally Posted by 700LH
So what do ya do when your 40 miles away from home have about 50 miles of juice left in the tank and need another 100 or 200 miles right now?
These cars are for people that want to look cool, narcissist types that have little alligators on their shirt

In well-traveled areas (i.e., urban areas and many interstate roads) there are fast-charge stations. Tesla calls them superchargers, other providers use different names, but they all basically provide about 100 miles of additional range in about 20 minutes (depending on the tech used in the charger). The problem, of course, is that the fast chargers are nowhere near as prevalent as gas stations are and even with fast charging, it's still slow.

If you have to use an RV park to plug in, figure you'll get about 25 miles of range per hour of charging. If you have nothing better than a standard 110 outlet, figure about 2 days of charging...
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19

Nope
. I saw my very first Tesla on the highway Saturday. I didn't recognize it, so I caught up with it to gawk a little. We were on an Interstate. and I was getting off at the next exit, so I didn't get to converse with the owner. And didn't want to. It was a good-looking car, wider than a normal vehicle, it appeared, but it reminded me of a Jaguar. Nice, but I don't want one. I like my pickup, no range issues until I run out of money to feed it gasoline.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
I think it's great and will get one when it will go 1500 miles on a charge OR recharge in 10 minutes. Those days will come.
Posted By: Backroads Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
Finally! Tesla owners have been clamoring for a vehicle with a payload rating to effectively haul their ego.

And the capacity to haul a grocery cart full of groceries...
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
Originally Posted by Backroads
Finally! Tesla owners have been clamoring for a vehicle with a payload rating to effectively haul their ego.

And the capacity to haul a grocery cart full of groceries...

laugh

Pure Gold!
Posted By: Fubarski Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19

When electric cars take over, the batteries will be standardized and you'll be able to exchange a discharged battery pack for a charged one, just like you fill a car up with gas.

You'll drive over the changer, which will remove the discharged battery through the bottom of the car, and replace it with a charged one.

Be different changer lanes for different makes/models.

Function check, and off you go.

Won't even hafta get outta the ride.
Posted By: 700LH Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/04/19
Sooner or later someone is probably going to come up with a better propulsion system than the now petroleum powered internal combustion engine but a rechargeable battery isn't it.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Nope
. I saw my very first Tesla on the highway Saturday. I didn't recognize it, so I caught up with it to gawk a little. We were on an Interstate. and I was getting off at the next exit, so I didn't get to converse with the owner. And didn't want to. It was a good-looking car, wider than a normal vehicle, it appeared, but it reminded me of a Jaguar. Nice, but I don't want one. I like my pickup, no range issues until I run out of money to feed it gasoline.

Ok.
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
Originally Posted by Backroads

And the capacity to haul a grocery cart store full of groceries...

fixed it for ya ! grin
Posted By: JeffA Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
Sooner or later someone is probably going to come up with a better propulsion system than the now petroleum powered internal combustion engine but a rechargeable battery isn't it.

The future will probably bring about a better idea for all those rechargeable batteries you see running the electric motors on those power tools lining the walls at Home Depot and Lowes too.

But currently..

Ya can't stop what's comin
Posted By: deflave Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
I ran into a peer today and he pulled up in a Model 3. 2018.

I asked his thoughts and he explained that he got the two motor (AWD) version with extended battery. He commutes 100 miles every day round trip. Said it is impossible to find a car at a red light that he can't destroy.

Charges at home and has never considered any aspect of range since he has owned it.

Isn't that just wild?

I'm surprised you haven't gotten a legitimate bite on this yet.

There are so many here that appear to be much smarter than the developers of these electric cars you'd think one of them would speak up that had an actually argument with substance.

My grandfather wouldn't fly, he traveled much but always by train, he wouldn't have natural gas in his home either and he didn't get in a automobile unless it was absolutely necessary. He couldn't explain his concerns that contributed to his fears. I loved the guy, he was great. Reminds me of some here......
Posted By: Dre Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
Lots of haters on here or just angry because you need a big truck to compensate?
Unfortunately, It’s the future and he’s making the other car companies watch and compete to try harder and make a better product.
He (musk) doesn’t have patents on his stuff so others can try and improve on his.

I do agree that the charging thing sucks and why I haven’t got a Tesla. Just Not there yet.
When I go to elk camp I’ll put on 1000 miles in 18 hours. And there are no charging station in the sticks.

Until they get the batterie charge figured or make it a hybrid.
Strictly city truck.... and I see plenty of them street queens.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
...and a mouse can pull #300,000 on even ground.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
My BIL has a X. I've driven it. It's new technology. Neat.

But, it's a back and forth to the office vehicle. When they travel, its back to one of the two gas burners.

Fine if you have the disposable income to burn on a commuter vehicle, but still no where mainstream, especially if you don't live in a top 20 population city.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
Exactly.^^^

Tesla for an eastern MT work pickup?

Not a chance in hell with the current technology.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
Sambo, couldn't you just plug it into one of your electric fences when she run dry? (Big Grin)

(.)Y(.)
Posted By: rainshot Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
I don't care if the thing flies it looks gay. It still has no support.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
W. Bill, laughing!

I'm not knocking on them but am skeptical of the battery.

Not to mention the drivetrain.

I would be AMAZED if they are as durable as a F350.
Posted By: 79S Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
I ran into a peer today and he pulled up in a Model 3. 2018.

I asked his thoughts and he explained that he got the two motor (AWD) version with extended battery. He commutes 100 miles every day round trip. Said it is impossible to find a car at a red light that he can't destroy.

Charges at home and has never considered any aspect of range since he has owned it.

Isn't that just wild?

You guys are some big money hustla's
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
Sommo, can't imagine hitting frozen cow pies with ten ton a bales at -25*.

Hang in there Sam, think about you all the time.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
At some point capacitor style storage will come about. Pull up to a station attendant hooks up a mega cord,
tosses a switch and the lights in the town dim and flicker for for a few seconds and...

Dang, your car is charged and ready to go...

(Think I read this in a Tom Swift book years ago and the future is nearly here...)
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
Maybe I can ask this guy if he likes his Tesla?

[Linked Image]
Not too sure I'll see many out in this part of the world, ever.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MadMooner Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
Maybe not.
Not a lot of people there either, obviously.

I used to consider myself a bit of a Luddite. Can’t hold a candle to this crowd though. Lol.
Posted By: walt501 Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19

I'm not a Tesla naysayer and yes I have driven one. Back in the day, I had a super stock drag car and I did all right with at the strip. Did most of the modifications on it myself, including milling the heads for Perfect Circle valve stem seals, headers, shaved heads, traction bars and I personally rebuilt the Holley carb in my dorm room with larger jets and lighter vacuum secondary spring. As The years went by and horse power dwindled, friends would let me drive their new "hot" car. All of them were a big yawn. Then around five years ago I drove a Tesla Model S 90D if I remember correctly. Holy fuqking acceleration Batman. This was the fastest car I'd ever driven. Acceleration was instantaneous with only the noise of the tires on the pavement being the only thing you could hear. Are they the perfect car? Yes and No. If you live where the temps don't drop much below 30 degrees, you'll be fine. If you live here in the north land, your battery range will be cut up to half as the mercury drops. So, cold weather range is something that still needs to be work out on electric vehicles.

Do I think the electric car....or truck are the future? Yes, I certainly do. So does Ford and Chevrolet, who are both working on full size half ton electric pickup trucks that should launch in the next two to three years. The only real challenge for Tesla is overcoming Elon's ego. Most people have heard of a Tesla but don' know what it is or how it could benefit them. Tesla doesn't advertise that it may cost more to buy or lease a Tesla, but that the net cost after factoring in the money saved by not buying gasoline may make it a cheaper - and much more fun - car to own. Yes, you'll pay a few dollars extra per month on electricity, but if you're a regular commuter you'll be money ahead with an electric car.
Posted By: 700LH Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
Forget batteries

https://automobiles.honda.com/clarity-fuel-cell
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19

The electric car perfected

Wow, look how tiny that electric motor is that's making that thing go up and down..
With such need for continuous dependability I'm surprised they don't have a Cummins diesel on that thing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dutch Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
Wow, look how tiny that electric motor is that's making that thing go up and down..
With such need for continuous dependability I'm surprised they don't have a Cummins diesel on that thing.

]

LMAO, thanks for the laugh this morning.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19

Actually, the most efficient method of running a pumpjack was developed long ago...

It still is in use in many areas, but mostly under a different method...

Natural gas.

Started out by using an individual motor to run the pumpjack off it's own natural gas that surfaces in the oilwell itself with production.

Now, they channel the natural gas to huge generator powerplants on central facility pads and disburse the electricity underground to service many wells, as well as the other infrastructure in the oilfield.

They use the huge NG powerplants where wait times to get wells hooked up to elec through the electric company is too long.

You could run a pretty good sized town with one of the NG powerplants.

But they are generated by hydrocarbons.

http://www.ettespower.com/Natural-Gas-Generator.html
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19

Nope

Ok.

Point being, I watch things fairly close, and this is the first one I've ever seen. There's no way to interview an owner, if there are none around. To date, I have never seen a charging station in the state of Kentucky (I saw some in CA a few years ago, in a state park, but none out "where the normal people are". I'm not "against" new technology, but it has to be better than what we have now, and right now, it's not. It's not cost effective for us normal folk with normal jobs and being paid normal wages.

Every now and then, I like to pick up and make long road trips, and I can't see that happening with the electrics. Again, to date, I've seen zero charging stations outside of CA, either. It's completely a range thing for me. It will take a very long time for EVs to make any headway in Kentucky or rural Missouri, for that matter. I was REALLY shocked to see that Tesla tooling down the highway Saturday, which is why it made such an impression. It still looked like a Jag, not bad. I didn't see which state tags it had on it. That might have been interesting.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
This has been an interesting thread. I've been an electrician in a large 1640 Megawatt generating plant for years. Electric motors are pretty much bullet proof and pretty much maintenance free compared to internal combustion engines. We have unbelievable battery systems to power the circuit breakers and back up oil pumps. The batteries are the size of small refrigerators and amount to one 2 volt cell with several series together to make a 120VDC system along with numerous UPS battery back up systems. The down fall to any battery powered vehicle is probably going to be the batteries themselves. We literally spend a small fortune cycling thru batteries. I don't know anything regarding the batteries in the Tesla, but I see used battery packs selling from $16k to $20K on ebay. I would be more worried about the battery life than range at this point. Batteries need maintenance charging even if not in use for prolonged times. I'm sure they will prove to be very reliable and cost efficient at some point and there will be growing pains to get there.

[Linked Image]

The toothbrush, education, attractive women, and the Tesla.

Got it.

Thanks.

Point being, I watch things fairly close, and this is the first one I've ever seen. There's no way to interview an owner, if there are none around. To date, I have never seen a charging station in the state of Kentucky (I saw some in CA a few years ago, in a state park, but none out "where the normal people are". I'm not "against" new technology, but it has to be better than what we have now, and right now, it's not. It's not cost effective for us normal folk with normal jobs and being paid normal wages.

Every now and then, I like to pick up and make long road trips, and I can't see that happening with the electrics. Again, to date, I've seen zero charging stations outside of CA, either. It's completely a range thing for me. It will take a very long time for EVs to make any headway in Kentucky or rural Missouri, for that matter. I was REALLY shocked to see that Tesla tooling down the highway Saturday, which is why it made such an impression. It still looked like a Jag, not bad. I didn't see which state tags it had on it. That might have been interesting.

ratsmacker,

It really depends on where you live. I lived in what is arguably one of the most rural areas in the lower 48 for ten years. Never saw a Tesla.

The primary target (even if Musk doesn't know it) is people that live in the cities. They were initially very expensive but now they can be had for $35-$40K. This has made a big difference in sales. I believe they sold and delivered about 250K in 2018 which is more than all other years combined.

When I first moved down here (the Miami area) I couldn't believe how many Teslas I was seeing. When I went to San Diego for 30 days, same thing. They're everywhere. Think of how many people have a brutal commute in this country. Nothing makes a commute easier than a Tesla based on everything I've been told.

Personally, I don't want one I'm just fascinated by them as a car guy. The performance they deliver is pretty amazing and from an engineering standpoint they're pretty intriguing.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
My brother drove a Clients Model S and was very very impressed. He has driven his fair share of German Imports and the acceleration and overall driving dynamics left him speechless.

LOL at the people that mock Musk. He has rocket boosters landing on ships and near launch pads while NASA was dragging the ocean bottom in order to recover vehicles. Lets not mention Space-X budget vs NASA.

[Linked Image]

The toothbrush, education, attractive women, and the Tesla.

Got it.

Thanks.

You forgot supplying 33% of the US with crude oil. You might clue JeffA in that the majority of these oil wells using electric motors are hooked up to permanent electricity......they don't run on batteries. Read rockinbbar's script and educate him on that too.
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
Looking forward to everyone on the deer lease going electric. Lot less noise and scent to make deer nocturnal. And it will be awesome for turkeys. Roll right up to the roost!

You forgot supplying 33% of the US with crude oil. You might clue JeffA in that the majority of these oil wells using electric motors are hooked up to permanent electricity......they don't run on batteries. Read rockinbbar's script and educate him on that too.

West Texas hath spoken.

Again.
Posted By: 340boy Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19

This, though I have no interest in one myself, at least at this time?
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

LOL at the people that mock Musk. He has rocket boosters landing on ships and near launch pads while NASA was dragging the ocean bottom in order to recover vehicles. Lets not mention Space-X budget vs NASA.

That was not without some trial and error too.....

I don't use rockets where I work or live. None of my co-workers own rockets.

Therefore, rockets are stupid.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19

There is always trial and error with a new concept. How many humans did NASA sacrifice for a stupid tile design on a space shuttle?
If anyone does need a rocket or needs to ship anything to another planet in a rocket, here is a handy dandy Users Guide for doing so....

https://www.spacex.com/sites/spacex/files/falcon_users_guide.pdf
Posted By: rifletom Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/05/19
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Yep. Oughta go over pretty good in San Jose. Geez!
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
Originally Posted by 16bore

Originally Posted by 16bore

Yeah, but they’re Costco sized bags😉
Posted By: deflave Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
I live in Manhattan.

Dually’s and diesels are stupid.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
This makes a lot of sense for Manhattan.

[Linked Image]

The funniest part.....

“It’s going to be a truck that is more capable than other trucks."
I don’t think Tesla was the first to meld hyperbole and advertising.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
When Gruff buys one I'll be a believer.
Posted By: 700LH Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
the truck part is to carry extra batteries
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
I wonder if Ford had the same problem with the naysayers that never believed an automobile would replace the horse? Did anyone really believe that there’d be “gas stations” at enough locations throughout this vast country to make it viable? What if you’re 50 miles from home with 40 miles worth of gas left? How will they ever get enough oil to run all those cars? There’s a limited amount of oil and getting it out of the ground and into the gas tank isn’t easy or cheap. What if your vehicle broke down in the middle of nowhere, then what?......push it home? Roads would have to be built at an enormous cost and would have to cover an impossible amount of miles not to mention the mountains. Are they seriously going to build roads across mountain passes 2 miles high? Bridges?......don’t even think about traversing large bodies of water. I could go on and on but you get my drift....

New technology is always met with resistance, it’s always fraught with logistical nightmares but luckily it never stops visionaries. That being said.....I’ll pass on the Model T or Model S or that ugly ass “Tesla pickup” and stick with my trusty steed named Silverado. 😁

Our grandkids or great grandkids or great great grandkids will be collecting the gas pumps of today as a tribute to the olden days when you actually had to stop and put “gas” into your car AND drive the car yourself. 😂
Originally Posted by SamOlson
When Gruff buys one I'll be a believer.

Gruff still pushing back on pasteurization.
Honda's hydrogen fuel cell electric motor vehicles in the link I provided are closer to the future than a rechargeable Tesla. They can be refueled in about 5 minutes.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
Does it come in a 5 speed manual?

I wonder how those will pan out? Seems California specific.

And why do you equate LaCoste shirts with narcissism?
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Does it come in a 5 speed manual?

Yes but you have to make the noises yourself.

"Vroooooooom, vrroooooooooom....vroooooooooom"

I wonder how those will pan out? Seems California specific.

And why do you equate LaCoste shirts with narcissism?

Like Ace8 said about gas pumps back when not being everywhere, the same could be said for hydrogen now..
I agree with you on that, but why the anti-LaCoste?

I wear LaCoste shirts, and flip flops and shoes. What's the problem?
I agree with you on that, but why the anti-LaCoste?

I wear LaCoste shirts, and flip flops and shoes. What's the problem?

Where was I anti LaCoste?

Words hurt.
Please accept my sincerest apologies brother Deflave hurting your sensitive feelings was not my intent
Please accept my sincerest apologies brother Deflave hurting your sensitive feelings was not my intent

I appreciate that.

Apology accepted. Too bad the rest of the internets can't be gentlemen like you and I.
Posted By: JeffA Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
Honda's hydrogen fuel cell electric motor vehicles in the link I provided are closer to the future than a rechargeable Tesla. They can be refueled in about 5 minutes.

Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19

Honda must have solved one of the big problems with hydrogen fuel - the gas tank. Early on, because of the high pressures involved, they were having to use a very heavy, strong tank, too heavy for practical use. It's been a few years since I read anything about it, though. I assume a lot has changed.
Posted By: qwk Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
You clowns realize that nobody here knows what the Tesla pickup looks like yet, right? It could be as gay as those artist renditions, or not.
Maybe I can ask this guy if he likes his Tesla?

[Linked Image]

How many dumb messicans can you stuff into a Tesla?

That's all nice in a staged event but it doesn't represent reality. Tesla was founded 15 years ago how many battery changing places are available to the public?

There is already over 30 hydrogen fueling places available in CA and growing, Honda's fuel cell cars were introduced less than 10 years ago in Japan. I am not sure when they became available in the U.S.

I hope Tesla is successful, they probably have a place to fill, the alligator comment was really in jest, but I do think as time goes on a rechargeable battery powered car is going to have a hard time competing with a fuel cell.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's all nice in a staged event but it doesn't represent reality. Tesla was founded 15 years ago how many battery changing places are available to the public?

There is already over 30 hydrogen fueling places available in CA and growing, Honda's fuel cell cars were introduced less than 10 years ago in Japan. I am not sure when they became available in the U.S.
You are a fuggin retard. A hydrogen hybrid is an abortion. Aside from the hazards that come with hydrogen, it takes a lot of electricity to make it. Then the hydrogen pos that you drive is gutless. Oh, and recertification of the vessel housing the gas has to happen on a regular basis because unless you are a muzzie on a mission, you don't want a leak. It's basically the most maintenance intensive thing one could possibly design. Too bad dumfuks that have zero knowledge of basic physics parrot this shi.t
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
Originally Posted by qwk

You are a fuggin retard. A hydrogen hybrid is an abortion. Aside from the hazards that come with hydrogen, it takes a lot of electricity to make it. Then the hydrogen pos that you drive is gutless. Oh, and recertification of the vessel housing the gas has to happen on a regular basis because unless you are a muzzie on a mission, you don't want a leak. It's basically the most maintenance intensive thing one could possibly design. Too bad dumfuks that have zero knowledge of basic physics parrot this shi.t
A simple "I disagree because..." would have been sufficient here instead of your profanity laced tirade. It's this kind of replies that have dragged the Fire down a steep hill. You can make your point much better by being civil.
Yeah profanity is what’s bringing it all down.

Not the anti-Semitic retards or sub forum specific trolls or swarms of spam.

It’s the naughty words.
I'm sorry, but ingnorant fools piss me off.

It’s the naughty words.
Right, user experience doesn't matter. It would be nice if some of these haters actually drove one, its free to boot. They know better though.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19

It’s the naughty words.

Oh boy, I am just pleased someone gets it. Profanity is definitely the problem...we should ban it!

Not quite sure how I shall manage to converse, but what the heck.
This has to be the only site on the internet that doesn’t allow the use of the word [bleep], but does allow 500 threads a week disparaging the black race.

Classic California.
That “bleep” is the word C H I M P by the way.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
This has to be the only site on the internet that doesn’t allow the use of the word [bleep], but does allow 500 threads a week disparaging the black race.

Classic California.

Try rimfirecentral, now they are a bunch of mealy-mouthed Stasi wannabes.
Posted By: JeffA Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19

Classic California.

Too f u c k i n funny....lmao
Posted By: walt501 Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
In my mind, fuel cell cars are a gimmick. They're not efficient, watch the video. Plus, you can't buy a Honda fuel cell car, they're for lease only.

Elon Musk and changing out a cars battery doesn't exist.

But here's the big plus for electric vehicles, most of us already have electricity in our home and for a couple thousand dollars can have an electric vehicle recharging station installed in the garage. That might sounds like a lot, but I hate going to the gas station, pushing a dozen buttons to make the pump work all while listening to blaring music from overhead speakers. And when I finally do get the pump to work someone starts talking to me on a screen on the pump about the news or weather. I'll pay the couple thousand to never go to a gas station again.
Originally Posted by qwk
I'm sorry, but ingnorant fools piss me off.

Hindenburg on the highway soon
Originally Posted by walt501

But here's the big plus for electric vehicles, most of us already have electricity in our home and for a couple thousand dollars can have an electric vehicle recharging station installed in the garage. That might sounds like a lot, but I hate going to the gas station, pushing a dozen buttons to make the pump work all while listening to blaring music from overhead speakers. And when I finally do get the pump to work someone starts talking to me on a screen on the pump about the news or weather. I'll pay the couple thousand to never go to a gas station again.

I never would have thought of it as a big deal but the Tesla owners I've spoken to comment on that heavily. They are thrilled to not go to the gas station once or twice a work week.

Another interesting aspect about the Tesla is its performance. It will flat blow the doors off most anything on the street. This is the opposite of other attempts to use different fuels or motors. You really didn't gain anything by switching to natural gas, or the turbine, etc.
0-60 in two seconds ain't too shabby
Good thing Raider ain’t running any engineer departments.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
My arena is fossil fuels, and fossil fuels rule the day and always will.
It’s funny that you interpret interest in new technologies as an attack on existing ones.
Not at all, I'm just skeptical of this technology, and of a company that bleeds money and relies on gov't subsidies to exist. I can see how electric cars may fit into the quick commute, urban "run an errand" life or back and forth to work. Out in the more spacious areas of the country I see them as a joke.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/06/19
Not at all, I'm just skeptical of this technology, and of a company that bleeds money and relies on gov't subsidies to exist. I can see how electric cars may fit into the quick commute, urban "run an errand" life or back and forth to work. Out in the more spacious areas of the country I see them as a joke.

I was thinking, how far between charging stations out there in W TX.. grin.

DF

You have to be pretty short sighted to think every product needs to be suitable for an oil field in West Texas.

And while I oppose subsidies in general you’re not going to find any of the Big Three that haven’t been recipients at one time or another.

And you can thank Musk for all those satellites in the sky that your employer undoubtedly use.

You have the thought process of a 3rd grader.

What I think about Musk personally, or satellites, have nothing to do with my thoughts on Tesla I was also considering whether to even respond to your nonsense, wondering how long it would take you to start hurling insults rather than engage in civil discussion. Didn't take long.....should've known better. I will venture to guess that my 3rd grade mentality has allowed me to give away more than you and your wife make, which I take great pleasure in doing.

Here's how Tesla fits in, IMO, as previously stated.

You are 100% Texan.

And that ain’t a compliment.
Shouldn't have said that, admittedly, so I deleted it, You have a unique way of bringing out the worst in people, and yourself. Keep trollin' along, you're good at it. Adios Amigo.

Shouldn't have said that, admittedly, so I deleted it, You have a unique way of bringing out the worst in people, and yourself. Keep trollin' along, you're good at it. Adios Amigo.

Why do people always say that?

Thanks I guess.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
I understand the skepticism that many have with new technology, change is always difficult. The “new” technology is just that, new, and it becomes the foundation of future advancement in battery technology and non-fossil fuel powered travel. It’s not unlike the analogy I used earlier regarding the Model T, comparing the Model T to to a Corvette is analogous to comparing a 2019 Tesla to a 2050 Tesla. Technology improves as does our understanding of that technology and that technology is only as good as the market demands allow.

As far as subsidies are concerned I don’t think that government should interfere with the machinations of private industry but at the same time the advancements that are made are often beneficial to the “government” and that government should pay for the benefits they receive from private industry. Government has no problem taking money from everyone and every industry so it’s only right and fair that they “help” with the advancement of the technology that they’ll use.

I was watching the Ken Burns documentary “The War” again for the 12th or 30th time. I was struck by the way private industry retooled and restructured to directly support the war effort. If private industry is that important to the safety and security of our country during its darkest hour then our government has an obligation to help private industry in their darkest hour. It’s easy to bitch about GM or Ford taking money during the bailout but it shouldn’t be forgotten that without them world war 2 could’ve had a drastically different outcome.
Posted By: Talus_in_Arizona Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Fossil fuels will quickly loose market share in the personal transportation sector. How fast is quickly? Considering the total dominance of the internal combustion engine there for more than a century, non-fossil vehicles will outnumber fossil in less than half that time. Yeah, it’s a prediction, not a prophecy. And probably less than half that time.

Wouldn’t say the same for other sectors. And I kinda hope the diesel tanks under emergency generators that comprise Cooling Plan B for the world’s nuclear power plants stay full.

I’d still take a Tesla, but a new car isn’t in my plan. Or truck.
Chernobyl didn’t inspire that statement. [bleep] did.
Stupid filter. [bleep], Japan.
I think I can, I think I can ...
Fook uh shee ma!
Posted By: BWalker Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
I'm pretty convinced that electric cars will be the future. I should add that I work in oil refining and previously worked in electricty generation. With that said the problem with switching over a major portion of the auto fleet to electric is the fact that with the demise of coal the US is short on generation. Gas capacity is there, but also has its problems in that its subject to supply disruptions, etc.
Wind and solar power will never, ever amount to much because most of the country isnt suitable for those two methods of generation, the yields are low and capacity factors are low. Not to mention the fact they are environmentally damaging.
GIven this, the only way forward for mass use of electric cars is nuclear and we all know that's a non starter presently for both real and imagined reasons.
One things for certain. My son will not be working in a coal fired power plant or an oil refinery.
Posted By: Dre Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Can’t we all just get a long?
I don’t see what the problem is.
Let’s put it this way...It’s just like buying a rifle. Some people want fieldcraft, some tikkas, and some are happy Ruger Americans. Who give a [bleep].
Variety is spice of life... or something like that.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Originally Posted by Dre
I don’t see what the problem is.
Let’s put it this way...It’s just like buying a rifle. Some people want fieldcraft, some tikkas, and some are happy Ruger Americans. Who give a [bleep].
Variety is spice of life... or something like that.

It's kinda silly to argue about something that isn't even a reality yet.

There's no Tesla pickup. Doesn't exist.

When one does come out, we can compare the reality of what towing capabilities it has, and we can also argue curb weight, range, and charging stations.

Until then it's just speculation.
Posted By: deflave Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Yes. No discussion of concept vehicles.

Close thread.
Yes. No discussion of concept vehicles.

Close thread.

I welcome all discussion.

I think it would be great to discuss the infrastructure for alla these electric vehicles.

How far can one go?

Is there a charging station when you need one?

How long is your trip delayed for a charge?

What happens when the powergrid goes down for a week or two?

Can you load up and go anywhere you want and know there's gonna be that infrastructure?

There's more questions than answers right now.

I would even consider buying an electric pickup if it could do even half of what they say it will. AND if it were economically feasible. By that I mean if it were within a reasonable distance price and operating expense of a conventional truck.
Posted By: JeffA Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Post Moved due to overtime session....
That's sure impressive, Jeff.

How many miles do you get out of a charge on your Tesla?

Does it have the extended range battery?

Which Tesla do you own?
Posted By: ERK Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Power outages are not a problem. Honda generator. Lol only problem is by the time it’s charged the electricity would be back on. If the company survives long enough to upgrade distance and battery changing I would consider electric. As of right now if I left home it would not make it to the closest charging station. Ed k
That information is easy to find but I'll put it here in case anyone has the same questions.

A Tesla car can go 2-300 miles. This is very difficult to pinpoint but any Tesla owner I've spoken to has agreed. The problem with figures like these is it is largely dependent on how it is driven. And by all accounts, most owners have a tendency to drive them very, very fast. Because they're very, very, fast.

If anyone was kicking the idea around, this is a map of all supercharging stations.

https://www.tesla.com/supercharger

Here is an all inclusive map that isn't Tesla specific.

https://pluginamerica.org/get-equip...EkKL2xEESZHnUeuLbSDpEqaCc0hoCAvIQAvD_BwE

Every Tesla owner that I have conversed with comes from a dual income/vehicle family. The E-car being the commuter vehicle of the household. If long trips are expected most people take their gas vehicle. However, I'm in Florida City every day and it is very common for people to stop and eat next to the Supercharger location. This is also a tough question to answer specifically because it depends on how low the charge is when you start charging, and how much you need to get to your destination. But it's definitely feasible as people do it all the time. Many doing about a 400 mile round trip to Key West and back. Doesn't interest me but neither does riding a motorcycle 3,000 miles. Yet people do it every day without issue.

For commuters this isn't a problem. They just plug it in at the end of the day so it's never out of charge or even close to being out of charge. Because it's a commuter.

When the powergrid goes out you'll be in the same boat as everyone else. Fugked. Because there won't be any gas to purchase anyway. Now of course people that live in rural areas will comment that they have 55 gallon drums with gasoline and Sta-Bil. But that's not the demographic e-cars are looking to gain at this point.

As far as the pickup truck, if Musk is saying it will be $50K I don't really see any reason to not believe him. Nobody believed he could get the Model 3 to $35K but he did. And again, that "truck" isn't marketed to people that use trucks for work any more than an Escalade is marketed toward a family of seven. It's simply something people want. The bed of a pickup is a handy thing to have and if you're driving an e-car, the chances of Home Depot being more than 8 miles from your home are pretty damn slim.

And again, the biggest difference between a modern e-car and other attempts at varying fuel, engine, or power sources, is the e-cars give a ton of performance. I have no doubt that Tesla truck will blow the doors off any Raptor. Doesn't matter to me, but it certainly matters to the type of person that considers buying a Raptor.
Thanks!

Was just wondering what kind of luck Jeff is having with his...
I don't know that Jeff owns one.

I think that's Remsen.
Okay.

Thanks! smile
I don't know that Jeff owns one.

I think that's Remsen.

Remsen is a X Tesla owner.....
I guess he didn't find them Kosher...
I'm a 50's 60's muscle car guy myself.
If I stroke a check for more than 30k it's gotta have potential return value involved.

I admire the technology but I more so enjoy entertaining myself by making posts on internet forums that are incline to stir controversy while being educational at the same time....
Matthew 26:75
Posted By: walt501 Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
The base Model 3 starting price is down to $31,850 and that's with a 240 mile range. $31,850 is about $4000 less than the cost of the average new car purchased in the U.S. today.

No, your electric car won't be your long distance vehicle - at least not yet. But it's perfect for the millions of people who commute back and forth ever day. GM did a study years ago and found that the average round trip commute is 40 miles. Any electric car currently on the market can handle that with ease. Plug it when you get home.

An electric car may cost more up front, but the total cost of ownership along with aggravation cost will be much less, no gas, no oil change, no tune ups and on and on.

Still don't think electric cars are the future? Well, the most conservative automaker out there - Toyota - had this to say today:

Toyota to speed up its rollout of electrified vehicles

Toyota, one of the pioneers of hybrid vehicle technology, has announced that it will bring forward its pure electric vehicle plans by five years.

In a briefing on the company's EV plans, Shigeki Terashi, Toyota's r&d chief, revealed that Toyota intends to have 5.5 million electrified vehicles -- which includes traditional hybrids, plug-in hybrids and battery-powered vehicles -- on the road by 2025. Previously, Toyota stated it was aiming to hit that sales target in 2030. Click Here

Electric vehicles are the future. But say you're worried the electric vehicle you buy today might be superseded with something better in a couple years? Good point - then leasing is for you. The dealer gets the electric vehicle credit lowering your lease payment to what is often a very attractive price point. Then add up the gasoline you won't be buying and you'll see that an electric vehicle is in your future.
Posted By: LoadClear Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Originally Posted by walt501
The base Model 3 starting price is down to $31,850 and that's with a 240 mile range. $31,850 is about $4000 less than the cost of the average new car purchased in the U.S. today.

No.

It's $39,900

Tesla puts "potential savings" into their advertised price, like tax breaks and theoretical gas savings.
That's not unique to Tesla.
Posted By: rainshot Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Yeah tesla is your all American car company. Those savings are fueled by 4.9Billion in government subsidies.
Posted By: walt501 Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Originally Posted by rainshot
Yeah tesla is your all American car company. Those savings are fueled by 4.9Billion in government subsidies.

How many government subsidies does the oil industry receive?
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Originally Posted by Dre

This is the Fire after all.

Now, why would we want to “just get a long”

We’d have only a fraction of the hits, ad revenue would tank, potentially we’d lose this soap box.

So, “ not getting along” may well be the secret to “getting along”.

Ha! So, put that in your pipe and take a couple of puffs.

DF
Matthew 26:75

New Testament?

Enjoy hell, a-hole.
Posted By: qwk Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19

You might want to do some fact checking, before you talk out your ass.
Posted By: 700LH Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
So your Tesla is a few years old and needs a new battery, what's that cost?
Posted By: WTF Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
So, what ya gonna do out in the back country and the thing runs outta juice ? Maybe plug it into a currant bush ?

For metro types only.
Originally Posted by WTF
So, what ya gonna do out in the back country and the thing runs outta juice ? Maybe plug it into a currant bush ?

For metro types only.

At least some are catching on.

Barely.
Originally Posted by qwk

An excellent method of refuting a statement is to correct it, then show provenance supporting your position.

That $4.9B figure is certainly out there for quite some time now.
Posted By: WTF Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Originally Posted by WTF

For metro types only.

At least some are catching on.

Barely.

It's gotta be some sort of "cool factor"
Certainly part of it.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19

I have to lol at the righteous indignation when it comes to certain subsidies but not others. Oil and ag subsidies are good but Tesla bad? As I mentioned earlier the government invests our money, by way of subsidies, in industries that will benefit the military industrial complex and give the USA an edge in the advancement of technology. Solar energy is integral to satellites, electric powered vehicles can eliminate the Achilles heel of the military machine, fuel supplies. Drone technology, electric vehicles, autonomous vehicles, etc all have the potential to benefit this country militarily and in the civilian world. If we don’t develop it the Chinese or Japanese will. We’ve seen the evolution of the internal combustion engine and this is nothing more than a continuation of that evolution. Nothing stays static, change is the only certainty.
Not to mention they employ 10,000 American’s and the owner runs SpaceX.

Yes, Tesla has and will always, receive subsidies.
Originally Posted by qwk

An excellent method of refuting a statement is to correct it, then show provenance supporting your position.

That $4.9B figure is certainly out there for quite some time now.

They didn't have a 4.9 billion subsidy. They had a government loan that they paid back early.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-05-22/tesla-pays-off-its-465-million-loser-loan

It pays to do a simple google search before posting, but I guess it's just easier to post lies. There are a lot of posters here that are worse than the communist party that they supposedly hate.
So your Tesla is a few years old and needs a new battery, what's that cost?

They are designed to last the life of the car, 300-500k miles or 15-20 years. Mine has 133k and has about 95% of its capacity left. There are quite a few with more than 250k miles and going strong.
Jun 30, 2015
Originally Posted by WTF

For metro types only.

It's kind of like running out of gas, only dumbasses do it. Metros drive 700 hp cars? Get real.

Boy there are a lot of window tasters here...
Posted By: Remsen Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
There are a ton of direct and indirect subsidies that support Tesla products. For example, we received about $10,000 or so in tax benefits for each Tesla we bought. We also got lower electric rates, free bridge tolls, free access to HOV lanes, free parking at airports, etc. etc. etc. And it's true that there are tax breaks and outright subsidies for fossil fuels as well but it's nowhere near what is being thrown at EVs. You get a bunch of perks for buying an electric car, no doubt about it.
Posted By: smokepole Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Yep, Musk is no doubt hearing the same things Frank Duryea heard.
Originally Posted by qwk

They didn't have a 4.9 billion subsidy. They had a government loan that they paid back early.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-05-22/tesla-pays-off-its-465-million-loser-loan

It pays to do a simple google search before posting, but I guess it's just easier to post lies. There are a lot of posters here that are worse than the communist party that they supposedly hate.

Your gonna get burned on this statement, the "bail out loan" like other car manufactures received were paid back as you've stated.

The Subsidies are a different topic...
There are a ton of direct and indirect subsidies that support Tesla products. For example, we received about $10,000 or so in tax benefits for each Tesla we bought. We also got lower electric rates, free bridge tolls, free access to HOV lanes, free parking at airports, etc. etc. etc. And it's true that there are tax breaks and outright subsidies for fossil fuels as well but it's nowhere near what is being thrown at EVs. You get a bunch of perks for buying an electric car, no doubt about it.

Are those federal initiatives or state specific?

That's the way it is with most subsidies.

I see people bitch about oil subsidies, but not when those subsidies are passed on as lower prices at the pump.

I see people bitch about agriculture subsidies, but they sure don't want to pay more at the grocery store, as they would without those in place.

While I can see that some subsidies may be needed, I'm more of a purist where they are concerned. I firmly believe that the natural market would be better. But once govt gets involved, most subsidies are chaotic at best and disastrous at worst.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19
Originally Posted by WTF
So, what ya gonna do out in the back country and the thing runs outta juice ? Maybe plug it into a currant bush ?.

The “burning bush” that Moses found in the wilderness would probably light it up.

Finding one like that when you need it may be another matter.

DF
Posted By: Remsen Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/07/19

Are those federal initiatives or state specific?

At the time, we lived in CA and the state handed out about $3,000 and the feds about $7,500. California now caps the credits based on income and the fed credit for Teslas has dropped quite a bit due to the number of Teslas that have been sold. All of the other perks were state specific.
Thanks.
I completely agree. Everything is subsidized. I assume he was talking about the $7500 tax credit per electric vehicle. You have to have $7500 of federal tax due in order to qualify. It is a tax savings like the QBI for small business owners.

It would be better to have a flat tax where everyone pays the same percentage, from the lazy to the ambitious. That way one does not get penalized a ton like under the current tax code.

That's the way it is with most subsidies.

I see people bitch about oil subsidies, but not when those subsidies are passed on as lower prices at the pump.

I see people bitch about agriculture subsidies, but they sure don't want to pay more at the grocery store, as they would without those in place.

While I can see that some subsidies may be needed, I'm more of a purist where they are concerned. I firmly believe that the natural market would be better. But once govt gets involved, most subsidies are chaotic at best and disastrous at worst.
The thing about subsidies is that someone in govt. gets to pick the winners... and the losers.

With the big bucks involved in subsidies the potential and reality of abuse is huge.
The thing about subsidies is that someone in govt. gets to pick the winners... and the losers.

With the big bucks involved in subsidies the potential and reality of abuse is huge.

Kind of like Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler? They would have been extinct, if it wasn't for the government picking winners/losers. It also wasn't the first bailout for two of those companies.
Posted By: JeffA Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/08/19
THE END

Brought to you by

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ChuckKY Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/08/19
I don't know how it will pan out and which states are talking about it, but on the local news last week they where talking about a yearly tax that may be imposed on EVs. It stated that some states thought the vehicle owners may have to pay a tax roughly equal to the estimated road taxes added to gasoline. EV users where using public road system and not paying upkeep on them. They where talking I think of about $1K per year. Don't know where they came up with that number though. Googled EV tax and came up with Illinois and some others talking about $1K/yearly. Doesn't surprise it was Illinois.
Posted By: deflave Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/08/19
Yeah Illinois after that money per always.

It’s kind of funny from a political angle.
Posted By: Dre Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 06/08/19
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Dre

This is the Fire after all.

Now, why would we want to “just get a long”

We’d have only a fraction of the hits, ad revenue would tank, potentially we’d lose this soap box.

So, “ not getting along” may well be the secret to “getting along”.

Ha! So, put that in your pipe and take a couple of puffs.

DF

Lol.
Don’t get your panties in a bunch. puff puff pass brother.
Love to discuss shiiit but sometimes there are a bunch of D bags on here. Everyone’s a bad mo fo behind their key board.
Anyways
Saw this pop up earlier today.
I’m sure there is more on the web
https://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/me...-zazp378ueFYCo7EcIBXglGsg6zanhlb3cIl9GVk
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 02/03/20
Originally Posted by ERK
Tesla runs out of money and into bankruptcy in about a month. Don’t hold your breath for this one. Ed k

Well ... hope you didn’t short Tesla frown
Posted By: JeffA Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 02/03/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Stickfight Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 02/03/20
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Well ... hope you didn’t short Tesla frown

Talk is a lot cheaper than funding a short account.

Posted By: Dutch Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 02/03/20
Is Tesla still in the top 10 most shorted stocks? There must be a lot of blood running down Wall Street...
Posted By: Stickfight Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 02/04/20
By dollars outstanding they were #2 when I looked late last year, with AAPL out in front.

By losses they have to be way out front now. Shorts have to be down $25BB+ at the moment, mark to market.

I sold a good chunk of TSLA today just to take some profit. Hoping for some volatility to buy back since I think their long term is great especially if they deliver the Model Y in quantity this year. If they don't take a hit, poor dumb ignorant whoever that was in the last thread I bumped who thinks they are already the most valuable auto maker in the world will soon be right.

Posted By: Armednfree Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 02/04/20
Batteries in Tesla carts are said to last 7-8 years. In the cars the price I've seen installed is 7-8 thousand. How much more would the truck battery cost I have no guess.
Posted By: JeffA Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 02/05/20
Originally Posted by Stickfight

I sold a good chunk of TSLA today just to take some profit.

Good to see you got a chance to cash in a little.

Back in June, when I started this thread I was researching Tesla with thoughts of maybe buying a little bit of stock, I had $10K that needed to go somewhere.

Before the thread was over I'd bought in when it was close to $200.00, with long term intentions.

The current crazy Tesla market has got me thinking, if it were to hit $1K I just might let it go and order a new base Model 3 with the proceeds.

I'd just pretend Elon gave me a new Tesla in exchange for that nice closing advertisement I posted here for him.

So far this morning there is no immediate confirmation that it could ever happen..

Down, down, down she goes, all I'm seeing for the moment is Model 3 tail lights.....

754.40 USD −132.66 (14.96%) v
Feb 5, 10:16 AM EST ·
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 02/05/20
Well, answer this for me. How long will it take to drive a Tesla or other battery car from Las Cruces to Denver?
Posted By: Stickfight Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 02/05/20
Down, down, down she goes, all I'm seeing for the moment is Model 3 tail lights.....

754.40 USD −132.66 (14.96%) v
Feb 5, 10:16 AM EST ·

There was some institutional profit taking just before the bell yesterday which is driving today’s results. Moving toward a more reasonable valuation.

If Tesla can start up a factory in Germany as quickly as they did China, and do the same again with this Texas one they are teasing....140BB will seem cheap. No legacy auto maker could move that fast. At least not upward.
Posted By: Stickfight Re: New Tesla Pick-up - 02/05/20
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Well, answer this for me. How long will it take to drive a Tesla or other battery car from Las Cruces to Denver?

The Tesla route planner says 12 hours in a model S LR.
© 24hourcampfire