-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
...and a mouse can pull #300,000 on even ground.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My BIL has a X. I've driven it. It's new technology. Neat.

But, it's a back and forth to the office vehicle. When they travel, its back to one of the two gas burners.

Fine if you have the disposable income to burn on a commuter vehicle, but still no where mainstream, especially if you don't live in a top 20 population city.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Exactly.^^^

Tesla for an eastern MT work pickup?

Not a chance in hell with the current technology.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sambo, couldn't you just plug it into one of your electric fences when she run dry? (Big Grin)

(.)Y(.)

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't care if the thing flies it looks gay. It still has no support.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
W. Bill, laughing!

I'm not knocking on them but am skeptical of the battery.

Not to mention the drivetrain.

I would be AMAZED if they are as durable as a F350.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
I ran into a peer today and he pulled up in a Model 3. 2018.

I asked his thoughts and he explained that he got the two motor (AWD) version with extended battery. He commutes 100 miles every day round trip. Said it is impossible to find a car at a red light that he can't destroy.

Charges at home and has never considered any aspect of range since he has owned it.

Isn't that just wild?

You guys are some big money hustla's

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sommo, can't imagine hitting frozen cow pies with ten ton a bales at -25*.

Hang in there Sam, think about you all the time.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
At some point capacitor style storage will come about. Pull up to a station attendant hooks up a mega cord,
tosses a switch and the lights in the town dim and flicker for for a few seconds and...

Dang, your car is charged and ready to go...

(Think I read this in a Tom Swift book years ago and the future is nearly here...)

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Maybe I can ask this guy if he likes his Tesla?

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not too sure I'll see many out in this part of the world, ever.

[Linked Image]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe not.
Not a lot of people there either, obviously.

I used to consider myself a bit of a Luddite. Can’t hold a candle to this crowd though. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have any of you Tesla naysayers ever looked at one or spoken to an owner?

I'm not a Tesla naysayer and yes I have driven one. Back in the day, I had a super stock drag car and I did all right with at the strip. Did most of the modifications on it myself, including milling the heads for Perfect Circle valve stem seals, headers, shaved heads, traction bars and I personally rebuilt the Holley carb in my dorm room with larger jets and lighter vacuum secondary spring. As The years went by and horse power dwindled, friends would let me drive their new "hot" car. All of them were a big yawn. Then around five years ago I drove a Tesla Model S 90D if I remember correctly. Holy fuqking acceleration Batman. This was the fastest car I'd ever driven. Acceleration was instantaneous with only the noise of the tires on the pavement being the only thing you could hear. Are they the perfect car? Yes and No. If you live where the temps don't drop much below 30 degrees, you'll be fine. If you live here in the north land, your battery range will be cut up to half as the mercury drops. So, cold weather range is something that still needs to be work out on electric vehicles.

Do I think the electric car....or truck are the future? Yes, I certainly do. So does Ford and Chevrolet, who are both working on full size half ton electric pickup trucks that should launch in the next two to three years. The only real challenge for Tesla is overcoming Elon's ego. Most people have heard of a Tesla but don' know what it is or how it could benefit them. Tesla doesn't advertise that it may cost more to buy or lease a Tesla, but that the net cost after factoring in the money saved by not buying gasoline may make it a cheaper - and much more fun - car to own. Yes, you'll pay a few dollars extra per month on electricity, but if you're a regular commuter you'll be money ahead with an electric car.

Last edited by walt501; 06/04/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The electric car perfected

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, look how tiny that electric motor is that's making that thing go up and down..
With such need for continuous dependability I'm surprised they don't have a Cummins diesel on that thing.

Originally Posted by JGRaider
Not too sure I'll see many out in this part of the world, ever.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA
Wow, look how tiny that electric motor is that's making that thing go up and down..
With such need for continuous dependability I'm surprised they don't have a Cummins diesel on that thing.

]

LMAO, thanks for the laugh this morning.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA

Actually, the most efficient method of running a pumpjack was developed long ago...

It still is in use in many areas, but mostly under a different method...

Natural gas.

Started out by using an individual motor to run the pumpjack off it's own natural gas that surfaces in the oilwell itself with production.

Now, they channel the natural gas to huge generator powerplants on central facility pads and disburse the electricity underground to service many wells, as well as the other infrastructure in the oilfield.

They use the huge NG powerplants where wait times to get wells hooked up to elec through the electric company is too long.

You could run a pretty good sized town with one of the NG powerplants.

But they are generated by hydrocarbons.

http://www.ettespower.com/Natural-Gas-Generator.html

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Have any of you Tesla naysayers ever looked at one or spoken to an owner?

Nope
. I saw my very first Tesla on the highway Saturday. I didn't recognize it, so I caught up with it to gawk a little. We were on an Interstate. and I was getting off at the next exit, so I didn't get to converse with the owner. And didn't want to. It was a good-looking car, wider than a normal vehicle, it appeared, but it reminded me of a Jaguar. Nice, but I don't want one. I like my pickup, no range issues until I run out of money to feed it gasoline.

Ok.

Point being, I watch things fairly close, and this is the first one I've ever seen. There's no way to interview an owner, if there are none around. To date, I have never seen a charging station in the state of Kentucky (I saw some in CA a few years ago, in a state park, but none out "where the normal people are". I'm not "against" new technology, but it has to be better than what we have now, and right now, it's not. It's not cost effective for us normal folk with normal jobs and being paid normal wages.

Every now and then, I like to pick up and make long road trips, and I can't see that happening with the electrics. Again, to date, I've seen zero charging stations outside of CA, either. It's completely a range thing for me. It will take a very long time for EVs to make any headway in Kentucky or rural Missouri, for that matter. I was REALLY shocked to see that Tesla tooling down the highway Saturday, which is why it made such an impression. It still looked like a Jag, not bad. I didn't see which state tags it had on it. That might have been interesting.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This has been an interesting thread. I've been an electrician in a large 1640 Megawatt generating plant for years. Electric motors are pretty much bullet proof and pretty much maintenance free compared to internal combustion engines. We have unbelievable battery systems to power the circuit breakers and back up oil pumps. The batteries are the size of small refrigerators and amount to one 2 volt cell with several series together to make a 120VDC system along with numerous UPS battery back up systems. The down fall to any battery powered vehicle is probably going to be the batteries themselves. We literally spend a small fortune cycling thru batteries. I don't know anything regarding the batteries in the Tesla, but I see used battery packs selling from $16k to $20K on ebay. I would be more worried about the battery life than range at this point. Batteries need maintenance charging even if not in use for prolonged times. I'm sure they will prove to be very reliable and cost efficient at some point and there will be growing pains to get there.

Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (7mm_Loco, 907brass, 808outdoors, 9 invisible), 14,408 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,992
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.