Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I understand the skepticism that many have with new technology, change is always difficult. The “new” technology is just that, new, and it becomes the foundation of future advancement in battery technology and non-fossil fuel powered travel. It’s not unlike the analogy I used earlier regarding the Model T, comparing the Model T to to a Corvette is analogous to comparing a 2019 Tesla to a 2050 Tesla. Technology improves as does our understanding of that technology and that technology is only as good as the market demands allow.

As far as subsidies are concerned I don’t think that government should interfere with the machinations of private industry but at the same time the advancements that are made are often beneficial to the “government” and that government should pay for the benefits they receive from private industry. Government has no problem taking money from everyone and every industry so it’s only right and fair that they “help” with the advancement of the technology that they’ll use.

I was watching the Ken Burns documentary “The War” again for the 12th or 30th time. I was struck by the way private industry retooled and restructured to directly support the war effort. If private industry is that important to the safety and security of our country during its darkest hour then our government has an obligation to help private industry in their darkest hour. It’s easy to bitch about GM or Ford taking money during the bailout but it shouldn’t be forgotten that without them world war 2 could’ve had a drastically different outcome.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Fossil fuels will quickly loose market share in the personal transportation sector. How fast is quickly? Considering the total dominance of the internal combustion engine there for more than a century, non-fossil vehicles will outnumber fossil in less than half that time. Yeah, it’s a prediction, not a prophecy. And probably less than half that time.

Wouldn’t say the same for other sectors. And I kinda hope the diesel tanks under emergency generators that comprise Cooling Plan B for the world’s nuclear power plants stay full.

I’d still take a Tesla, but a new car isn’t in my plan. Or truck.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Chernobyl didn’t inspire that statement. [bleep] did.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Stupid filter. [bleep], Japan.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think I can, I think I can ...
Fook uh shee ma!

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm pretty convinced that electric cars will be the future. I should add that I work in oil refining and previously worked in electricty generation. With that said the problem with switching over a major portion of the auto fleet to electric is the fact that with the demise of coal the US is short on generation. Gas capacity is there, but also has its problems in that its subject to supply disruptions, etc.
Wind and solar power will never, ever amount to much because most of the country isnt suitable for those two methods of generation, the yields are low and capacity factors are low. Not to mention the fact they are environmentally damaging.
GIven this, the only way forward for mass use of electric cars is nuclear and we all know that's a non starter presently for both real and imagined reasons.
One things for certain. My son will not be working in a coal fired power plant or an oil refinery.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can’t we all just get a long?
I don’t see what the problem is.
Let’s put it this way...It’s just like buying a rifle. Some people want fieldcraft, some tikkas, and some are happy Ruger Americans. Who give a [bleep].
Variety is spice of life... or something like that.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dre
Can’t we all just get a long?
I don’t see what the problem is.
Let’s put it this way...It’s just like buying a rifle. Some people want fieldcraft, some tikkas, and some are happy Ruger Americans. Who give a [bleep].
Variety is spice of life... or something like that.

It's kinda silly to argue about something that isn't even a reality yet.

There's no Tesla pickup. Doesn't exist.

When one does come out, we can compare the reality of what towing capabilities it has, and we can also argue curb weight, range, and charging stations.

Until then it's just speculation.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes. No discussion of concept vehicles.

Close thread.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
Yes. No discussion of concept vehicles.

Close thread.

I welcome all discussion.

I think it would be great to discuss the infrastructure for alla these electric vehicles.

How far can one go?

Is there a charging station when you need one?

How long is your trip delayed for a charge?

What happens when the powergrid goes down for a week or two?

Can you load up and go anywhere you want and know there's gonna be that infrastructure?

There's more questions than answers right now.

I would even consider buying an electric pickup if it could do even half of what they say it will. AND if it were economically feasible. By that I mean if it were within a reasonable distance price and operating expense of a conventional truck.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Post Moved due to overtime session....

Last edited by JeffA; 06/07/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's sure impressive, Jeff.

How many miles do you get out of a charge on your Tesla?

Does it have the extended range battery?

Which Tesla do you own?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Power outages are not a problem. Honda generator. Lol only problem is by the time it’s charged the electricity would be back on. If the company survives long enough to upgrade distance and battery changing I would consider electric. As of right now if I left home it would not make it to the closest charging station. Ed k

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That information is easy to find but I'll put it here in case anyone has the same questions.

A Tesla car can go 2-300 miles. This is very difficult to pinpoint but any Tesla owner I've spoken to has agreed. The problem with figures like these is it is largely dependent on how it is driven. And by all accounts, most owners have a tendency to drive them very, very fast. Because they're very, very, fast.

If anyone was kicking the idea around, this is a map of all supercharging stations.

https://www.tesla.com/supercharger

Here is an all inclusive map that isn't Tesla specific.

https://pluginamerica.org/get-equip...EkKL2xEESZHnUeuLbSDpEqaCc0hoCAvIQAvD_BwE

Every Tesla owner that I have conversed with comes from a dual income/vehicle family. The E-car being the commuter vehicle of the household. If long trips are expected most people take their gas vehicle. However, I'm in Florida City every day and it is very common for people to stop and eat next to the Supercharger location. This is also a tough question to answer specifically because it depends on how low the charge is when you start charging, and how much you need to get to your destination. But it's definitely feasible as people do it all the time. Many doing about a 400 mile round trip to Key West and back. Doesn't interest me but neither does riding a motorcycle 3,000 miles. Yet people do it every day without issue.

For commuters this isn't a problem. They just plug it in at the end of the day so it's never out of charge or even close to being out of charge. Because it's a commuter.

When the powergrid goes out you'll be in the same boat as everyone else. Fugked. Because there won't be any gas to purchase anyway. Now of course people that live in rural areas will comment that they have 55 gallon drums with gasoline and Sta-Bil. But that's not the demographic e-cars are looking to gain at this point.

As far as the pickup truck, if Musk is saying it will be $50K I don't really see any reason to not believe him. Nobody believed he could get the Model 3 to $35K but he did. And again, that "truck" isn't marketed to people that use trucks for work any more than an Escalade is marketed toward a family of seven. It's simply something people want. The bed of a pickup is a handy thing to have and if you're driving an e-car, the chances of Home Depot being more than 8 miles from your home are pretty damn slim.

And again, the biggest difference between a modern e-car and other attempts at varying fuel, engine, or power sources, is the e-cars give a ton of performance. I have no doubt that Tesla truck will blow the doors off any Raptor. Doesn't matter to me, but it certainly matters to the type of person that considers buying a Raptor.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks!

Was just wondering what kind of luck Jeff is having with his...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't know that Jeff owns one.

I think that's Remsen.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Okay.

Thanks! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I don't know that Jeff owns one.

I think that's Remsen.

Remsen is a X Tesla owner.....

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I guess he didn't find them Kosher...

JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a 50's 60's muscle car guy myself.
If I stroke a check for more than 30k it's gotta have potential return value involved.

I admire the technology but I more so enjoy entertaining myself by making posts on internet forums that are incline to stir controversy while being educational at the same time....

Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 23 invisible), 14,781 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,969
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.