Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 31 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 30 31
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Doug, I find your thread pretty peculiar.

It's self-explanatory, that must be the problem.

Hey smokepole, how are you this evening? I trust you can still find your way into a tight eyebox this early at night?

As I said in my post, Leupold has all the feedback they need a hundred thousand times over with all the scopes sent in for repair over the decades. Yes, smokepole, that's decades. If I manufactured scopes, and had five come back with the same problem, I'd call it a pattern in need of attention. Is it safe to say Leupold has had at least five scopes come back for repair? What about 50? 500? 5000? I bet they've had that and more.

They know what needs to be done to make a better scope but they're playing the marketing shell game with their scopes and their future. They make their choices, and we make ours.

And smokepole, thank you so much for your thoughtful and insightful post, as always.

LOL
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Still can't figure it out, huh.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Beaver10,

You seem a bit NAIVE....as you know, objectivity is hard to find nowadays, people have biases and sometimes vested monetary interest driving their opinions....I would not ask a Leupold fan boy for their opinion of Nikon....I wouldn't ask an SWFA fan boy their opinion of Leupold...I wouldnt ask a NF fan boy for their opinion of Tract.....I wouldnt ask a S&B fan boy their opinion of Swarovski.....etc. The competition is ferocious in mid-to high price scopes....getting a variety of opinions from "legitimate" sources beats only one source no matter how knowledgeable.....

Last edited by IceCut; 06/03/19.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by IceCut
bsa,

I know some are incapable of critical thinking and rely upon "hero worship" to make decisions for them. But, really, it is sort of g--y to suck up so hard to only ONE guys opinion. Maybe if you loosened your Oregon/Portland "man bun" you would be able to think clearer and make YOUR OWN decisions....it's embarrassing...really...
Regarding your knowledge of bear hunters up here....watching Life Below Zero on television does not count.....you actually have to bear hunt for decades.....
You keep your door knob turrets and neo-Tasco optics and whirl away at the door knob turrets.....but, if you ever have the balls to come brown bear hunting, you will almost NEVER see an SWFA or NF in camp.....
Now, go back to turning that door knob turret......

Im not going to spend another dollar on Leupold, until they get their chit figured out. Id rather wait for the all clear from someone who i trust will give us a fair and honest report. Formid will definitely do that, as we all know. Its not about having balls, its about having brains. Obviously that is where you are lacking.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

bsa,

Sorry, but no one is Omniscient. Been around too long to buy into just ONE GUY'S OPINION.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Agree with this post..Fix erectors so they stay put and zero doesn't shift all ,over....I had trouble with three..That was enough for me..It happened in Africa..I switched to MeOpta and Conquest (same) and they stay where I out 'em..

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Agree with this post..Fix erectors so they stay put and zero doesn't shift all ,over....I had trouble with three..That was enough for me..It happened in Africa..I switched to MeOpta and Conquest (same) and they stay where I put 'em..

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would like to see them offer an “etched reticle” like the old conquest scopes. Dark thicker posts that narrow down to a very fine cross hair for detailed range work. I compared my zeiss scopes to my vx2-3 leupolds in low light on game. I could see the animal fairly comparably but the zeiss reticle stood out clearly better on game in low light. Also Crisp “clicks” for dialing would be nicer than the mushy adjustments they have now. Love the 4” eye relief on my leupolds though. Don’t change that.

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 06/03/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beaver10,

You seem a bit NAIVE....as you know, objectivity is hard to find nowadays, people have biases and sometimes vested monetary interest driving their opinions....I would not ask a Leupold fan boy for their opinion of Nikon....I wouldn't ask an SWFA fan boy their opinion of Leupold...I wouldnt ask a NF fan boy for their opinion of Tract.....I wouldnt a S&B fan boy their opinion of Swarovski.....etc. The competition is ferocious in mid-to high price scopes....getting a variety of opinions from "legitimate" sources beats only one source no matter how knowledgeable.....

Formidilosus, breaks a lot of gear using and testing it. For him, it’s a career, not just a hunting season. I’m beyond confident Form isn’t a paid shill.

To me it’s only naive to think I would only run 500 rounds of magnum chamberings under my optics. If a “source” is showing “catastrophic” failures after a few thousand rounds or less. That gives me serious concern.

I’m an equal opportunity purchaser. I run March, NF, Leupold, Zeiss, SWFA, Sightron, and Bushnell - All of these scopes are of the higher end line-card for each maker.

The Sig Whiskey5 and Tango6 have some excellent glass. Better than Leupold VX6 “subjective”,”yes” but I have the scopes to compare side by side...Not second hand my best pard said the scope was good schit....My eyes, my experience behind glass, my scopes. That means something, if only to me.

Now, I was vested in a few of these Sig scopes. I had read glowing reviews about them before I bought, including inside knowledge I was told about a few former Leupold engineers moving to Sig.

I decided to buy a Tango6 from a pard who also knows a lot about scopes and optics. He liked the scope, not the reticle.

Back to listening to one person..What benefit does Formidilosus derive from making damning statements about an optics failure?

I see none, other than upsetting a manufacturer who was trying to get a pass/fail certification from Forms organization which a “pass” would likely help push them further along in the purchasing process and being added to a requisition list for military or LEO needs.

And a fail means back to the drawing board or put your optic in front of the buying community, warts and all, and hope one organization won’t care that the scope lenses fell out after only 3k rounds fired down range.

Yes, there’s good scopes out their that will work and help a person kill animals...But, there’s not a lot of great scopes that have been built as a total package with menu features, unless you have the bank roll to whip out $3-$4k.

To afford my scopes, they’re has to be some concessions, so I can afford the purchase. I now choose durability and repeatability over great glass clarity....Good to really good glass works well for me along with tough internals...Weight? Pfftt, 28-32oz is fine for my hunting. 😎

PS
You can call me Shirley but never naive 😬

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

....I would not ask a Leupold fan boy for their opinion of Nikon....I wouldn't ask an SWFA fan boy their opinion of Leupold...I wouldnt ask a NF fan boy for their opinion of Tract.....I wouldnt ask a S&B fan boy their opinion of Swarovski.....etc. .....

And I would not ask a guy who says rangefinders are unnecessary for his opinion on much of anything shooting-related.

IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doug, start a new thread when you hear back from leupold and let us know what they say.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would like to make a couple of points here. I am not "dissing" anyone here, I just want to present an opposing opinion.
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Any guy dumb eneogh to pay extra for what they are supposed to get from the get go deserves what he’s got...

If there were other brands in the price range with the same attributes (light weight, good eye relief, small ocular, etc), that also had a stellar tracking record, then yes, I would not want to pay extra for Leupold to beef up their erectors. But, I do not know of another brand of scope with the attributes that I like about Leupolds, that also has a stellar tracking reputation, in the same price range. So what I am saying is, I would be willing to pay more for their scopes with a reliable erector to get a reliable erector in combination with those things that I do like about Leupold scopes.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
Am not going to read 12 pages of Leupold anything. Doug, I find your thread pretty peculiar. Don't you think the company that repairs Leupold scopes already knows what fails on them?

This entire thread is a waste of time and nothing but a feel good exercise. If Leupold was interested in making a better scope they have all the feedback they need and then some.

I see what you are saying that Leupold knows what is wrong with their scopes. But I think the purpose of Dougs thread here, is to let Leupold know that WE KNOW what is wrong with their scopes and they are loosing many customers, which is affecting their sales income. RJ

Last edited by rj308; 06/04/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by powdr
All they would have to do is run a summer time add showing and saying where they had beefed up the erector system and they have a new #4...a real #4...reticle and say they believed in it so much that they were going back to charging $60 for a reticle instead of $200 and sales would go through the roof. Any guy in his right mind would not balk at paying an extra $10 for a scope w/an upgraded erector system. powdr

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre
Doug, start a new thread when you hear back from leupold and let us know what they say.

Shall do. Here's hoping I'll have something good to report

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

I'm not convinced that Fireball is the one not figuring things out.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

Doug has explained his reasons for starting this thread more than once so they should be crystal clear.

Will it work? I don't know and Doug has admitted he doesn't know either but you've got to give him credit for trying. He's doing what he can to help out, the rest is up to Leupold. Plus, he sponsors the forum and for that alone he deserves some deference.

What he doesn't deserve is people questioning his motives or intelligence for posting the thread. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m_stevenson

Doug has explained his reasons for starting this thread more than once so they should be crystal clear.

Will it work? I don't know and Doug has admitted he doesn't know either but you've got to give him credit for trying. He's doing what he can to help out, the rest is up to Leupold. Plus, he sponsors the forum and for that alone he deserves some deference.

What he doesn't deserve is people questioning his motives or intelligence for posting the thread. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Thank you. As Mom used to say "I am responsible for the effort, not the outcome" all I can do is try to get some action started. As soon as I hear something back, which I am hoping will be this week, I will post

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I will take bushnell banner glass if the scope works mechanically. people worry way way too much about glass. to that I say get better binoculars and spotting scopes. SWFA SS makes perfectly serviceable glass in their scopes. The only time I want better glass is shooting in mirage conditions over a P dog town. other than that glass quality is way down the list.

A scope is an aiming device. So, mechanical trumps glass. It is nice to have both, but forced to choose, mechanical over glass any day.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I will take bushnell banner glass if the scope works mechanically. people worry way way too much about glass. to that I say get better binoculars and spotting scopes. SWFA SS makes perfectly serviceable glass in their scopes. The only time I want better glass is shooting in mirage conditions over a P dog town. other than that glass quality is way down the list.

A scope is an aiming device. So, mechanical trumps glass. It is nice to have both, but forced to choose, mechanical over glass any day.

DF

I want both, hard to hit what you can’t see. BTDT.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I want both, hard to hit what you can’t see. BTDT.

Any $200 scope today has adequate glass for killing stuff. Those days are over.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 14 of 31 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 43 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.