Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 31 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 30 31
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'm not dissing Doug for his effort.

Well then, my apologies, I must have misinterpreted your meaning. I thought you were dissing Doug for his effort when you said this:

This entire thread is a waste of time and nothing but a feel good exercise.

How could I have been so stupid?

It takes practice. Thankfully you seem dedicated to the task. Read it again.

LOL
GB1

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Originally Posted by hookeye
Leupold Freedom EFR 3-9X.
Has a blur ring around the outside edge of the lens Dunno if that lens issue or due to being recessed in the Adj Obj.
Is there and noticeable.

First Leupold I've had in Freedom line, no other Vari X2 VX3 VX1 or M8's have had that "feaure".

Bought another new Freedom optic unseen (ordered through local dealer-same as other).
Freedom RDS.
Can see a gold square around reddot reflected onto lens.
Against a dark object w intensity low it's VERY noticeable. Even outside in bright light it appears as a faint blur around the dot.
What the hell use is a 1 MOA dot when it's in actuality a 3 or 4 moa blur with a 1 moa red center?

Used rifle came into LGS, Freedom 3-9X (non AO). It has a blur around outside edge too, but lesser than my EFR.

Read reviews, watched YT videos............."crisp to edge" was mentioned a few times.
Have looked at two and the both are not.

Yeah, you look at the center, but the blur is so blatant its a casual distraction.
My Redfiekld Revolutions (three 2-7X, one 3-9X and one 4-12X).................didn't have it.

Is there a noticeable edge to the blur? If so, it may be used to gauge distance.

Now, now, did you buy that sucker on E-Bay...it could be grey market Chinese....

Last edited by IceCut; 06/04/19.
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Originally Posted by rj308
I would like to make a couple of points here. I am not "dissing" anyone here, I just want to present an opposing opinion.
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide
Any guy dumb eneogh to pay extra for what they are supposed to get from the get go deserves what he’s got...

If there were other brands in the price range with the same attributes (light weight, good eye relief, small ocular, etc), that also had a stellar tracking record, then yes, I would not want to pay extra for Leupold to beef up their erectors. But, I do not know of another brand of scope with the attributes that I like about Leupolds, that also has a stellar tracking reputation, in the same price range. So what I am saying is, I would be willing to pay more for their scopes with a reliable erector to get a reliable erector in combination with those things that I do like about Leupold scopes.

Am not going to read 12 pages of Leupold anything. Doug, I find your thread pretty peculiar. Don't you think the company that repairs Leupold scopes already knows what fails on them?

This entire thread is a waste of time and nothing but a feel good exercise. If Leupold was interested in making a better scope they have all the feedback they need and then some.

I see what you are saying that Leupold knows what is wrong with their scopes. But I think the purpose of Dougs thread here, is to let Leupold know that WE KNOW what is wrong with their scopes and they are loosing many customers, which is affecting their sales income. RJ

Hint....(stealing that other guy's annoying wording)....try a Tract Toric.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tract Toric? Spill it....What’s to like? 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I ordered my Freedom EFR 3-9X and RDS through my local gun shop.
Now my 4X compact was off E-bay, but it's an old scope (that's mint and works fine.....shot my 8 pointer w it last yr).

IC B2

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by IceCut
Beaver10,

You seem a bit NAIVE....as you know, objectivity is hard to find nowadays, people have biases and sometimes vested monetary interest driving their opinions....I would not ask a Leupold fan boy for their opinion of Nikon....I wouldn't ask an SWFA fan boy their opinion of Leupold...I wouldnt ask a NF fan boy for their opinion of Tract.....I wouldnt a S&B fan boy their opinion of Swarovski.....etc. The competition is ferocious in mid-to high price scopes....getting a variety of opinions from "legitimate" sources beats only one source no matter how knowledgeable.....

Formidilosus, breaks a lot of gear using and testing it. For him, it’s a career, not just a hunting season. I’m beyond confident Form isn’t a paid shill.

To me it’s only naive to think I would only run 500 rounds of magnum chamberings under my optics. If a “source” is showing “catastrophic” failures after a few thousand rounds or less. That gives me serious concern.

I’m an equal opportunity purchaser. I run March, NF, Leupold, Zeiss, SWFA, Sightron, and Bushnell - All of these scopes are of the higher end line-card for each maker.

The Sig Whiskey5 and Tango6 have some excellent glass. Better than Leupold VX6 “subjective”,”yes” but I have the scopes to compare side by side...Not second hand my best pard said the scope was good schit....My eyes, my experience behind glass, my scopes. That means something, if only to me.

Now, I was vested in a few of these Sig scopes. I had read glowing reviews about them before I bought, including inside knowledge I was told about a few former Leupold engineers moving to Sig.

I decided to buy a Tango6 from a pard who also knows a lot about scopes and optics. He liked the scope, not the reticle.

Back to listening to one person..What benefit does Formidilosus derive from making damning statements about an optics failure?

I see none, other than upsetting a manufacturer who was trying to get a pass/fail certification from Forms organization which a “pass” would likely help push them further along in the purchasing process and being added to a requisition list for military or LEO needs.

And a fail means back to the drawing board or put your optic in front of the buying community, warts and all, and hope one organization won’t care that the scope lenses fell out after only 3k rounds fired down range.

Yes, there’s good scopes out their that will work and help a person kill animals...But, there’s not a lot of great scopes that have been built as a total package with menu features, unless you have the bank roll to whip out $3-$4k.

To afford my scopes, they’re has to be some concessions, so I can afford the purchase. I now choose durability and repeatability over great glass clarity....Good to really good glass works well for me along with tough internals...Weight? Pfftt, 28-32oz is fine for my hunting. 😎

PS
You can call me Shirley but never naive 😬

beaver (Shirley?)
No matter how definitive, no matter how all inclusive, one opinion is ONE opinion.
Maybe this is a generational issue, but, I much rather listen to numerous opinions before making a choice.
It's a free country, we are all free to believe what we want to believe!

Regarding Leupold: As long as the majority of the shooting population only chooses (needs?) set and forget scopes, the smaller wannabe- sniper "cranking" community will have to go elsewhere. ( SWFA found a niche and its life blood.)
I bet SWFA is hoping Leupold ignores this thread, because, Leupold can put them out of business if they wanted to......

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You're a dumbass.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There’s about two dozen examples of “set and forget” Leupolds going tits-up on this thread alone..... is that still only one opinion?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
You're a dumbass.

Yep he is

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sevastopol
Originally Posted by hookeye
Leupold Freedom EFR 3-9X.
Has a blur ring around the outside edge of the lens Dunno if that lens issue or due to being recessed in the Adj Obj.
Is there and noticeable.

First Leupold I've had in Freedom line, no other Vari X2 VX3 VX1 or M8's have had that "feaure".

Bought another new Freedom optic unseen (ordered through local dealer-same as other).
Freedom RDS.
Can see a gold square around reddot reflected onto lens.
Against a dark object w intensity low it's VERY noticeable. Even outside in bright light it appears as a faint blur around the dot.
What the hell use is a 1 MOA dot when it's in actuality a 3 or 4 moa blur with a 1 moa red center?

Used rifle came into LGS, Freedom 3-9X (non AO). It has a blur around outside edge too, but lesser than my EFR.

Read reviews, watched YT videos............."crisp to edge" was mentioned a few times.
Have looked at two and the both are not.

Yeah, you look at the center, but the blur is so blatant its a casual distraction.
My Redfiekld Revolutions (three 2-7X, one 3-9X and one 4-12X).................didn't have it.

Is there a noticeable edge to the blur? If so, it may be used to gauge distance.

Now, now, did you buy that sucker on E-Bay...it could be grey market Chinese....

"Gray market" is genuine merchandise from an "alternative" source: fell off the truck, stuff that failed inspection and was recovered from the trash, repaired then resold, goods meant to be sold in a foreign market; anything outside of the authorized supply chain.

Fakes are just fakes.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're a dumbass.

And that's not an opinion.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Beaver10,

You seem a bit NAIVE....as you know, objectivity is hard to find nowadays, people have biases and sometimes vested monetary interest driving their opinions....I would not ask a Leupold fan boy for their opinion of Nikon....I wouldn't ask an SWFA fan boy their opinion of Leupold...I wouldnt ask a NF fan boy for their opinion of Tract.....I wouldnt a S&B fan boy their opinion of Swarovski.....etc. The competition is ferocious in mid-to high price scopes....getting a variety of opinions from "legitimate" sources beats only one source no matter how knowledgeable.....

Formidilosus, breaks a lot of gear using and testing it. For him, it’s a career, not just a hunting season. I’m beyond confident Form isn’t a paid shill.

To me it’s only naive to think I would only run 500 rounds of magnum chamberings under my optics. If a “source” is showing “catastrophic” failures after a few thousand rounds or less. That gives me serious concern.

I’m an equal opportunity purchaser. I run March, NF, Leupold, Zeiss, SWFA, Sightron, and Bushnell - All of these scopes are of the higher end line-card for each maker.

The Sig Whiskey5 and Tango6 have some excellent glass. Better than Leupold VX6 “subjective”,”yes” but I have the scopes to compare side by side...Not second hand my best pard said the scope was good schit....My eyes, my experience behind glass, my scopes. That means something, if only to me.

Now, I was vested in a few of these Sig scopes. I had read glowing reviews about them before I bought, including inside knowledge I was told about a few former Leupold engineers moving to Sig.

I decided to buy a Tango6 from a pard who also knows a lot about scopes and optics. He liked the scope, not the reticle.

Back to listening to one person..What benefit does Formidilosus derive from making damning statements about an optics failure?

I see none, other than upsetting a manufacturer who was trying to get a pass/fail certification from Forms organization which a “pass” would likely help push them further along in the purchasing process and being added to a requisition list for military or LEO needs.

And a fail means back to the drawing board or put your optic in front of the buying community, warts and all, and hope one organization won’t care that the scope lenses fell out after only 3k rounds fired down range.

Yes, there’s good scopes out their that will work and help a person kill animals...But, there’s not a lot of great scopes that have been built as a total package with menu features, unless you have the bank roll to whip out $3-$4k.

To afford my scopes, they’re has to be some concessions, so I can afford the purchase. I now choose durability and repeatability over great glass clarity....Good to really good glass works well for me along with tough internals...Weight? Pfftt, 28-32oz is fine for my hunting. 😎

PS
You can call me Shirley but never naive 😬

beaver (Shirley?)
No matter how definitive, no matter how all inclusive, one opinion is ONE opinion.
Maybe this is a generational issue, but, I much rather listen to numerous opinions before making a choice.
It's a free country, we are all free to believe what we want to believe!

Regarding Leupold: As long as the majority of the shooting population only chooses (needs?) set and forget scopes, the smaller wannabe- sniper "cranking" community will have to go elsewhere. ( SWFA found a niche and its life blood.)
I bet SWFA is hoping Leupold ignores this thread, because, Leupold can put them out of business if they wanted to......

You have your finger on the pulse of current trends I see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
You're a dumbass.

But if it was, it would be unanimous......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You're a dumbass.

You nanna whut?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Quick Karl, IceCut, Llama Bob......are these all the same dolts in disguise?

Last edited by JGRaider; 06/05/19.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're a dumbass.

Whoa whoa whoa... That’s a little degrading to dumbasses.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Quick Karl, IceCut, Llama Bob......are these all the same dolts in disguise?

Ole Larry Root was more entertaining...

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by huntsman22
You're a dumbass.

You nanna whut?

Moose

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Regarding Leupold: As long as the majority of the shooting population only chooses (needs?) set and forget scopes ...

So tracking and reliability issues don't make it "hard to set" and "can't forget" because of nagging doubt?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Still can't figure it out, huh.

I'm not convinced that Fireball is the one not figuring things out.

Doug has explained his reasons for starting this thread more than once so they should be crystal clear.

Will it work? I don't know and Doug has admitted he doesn't know either but you've got to give him credit for trying. He's doing what he can to help out, the rest is up to Leupold. Plus, he sponsors the forum and for that alone he deserves some deference.

What he doesn't deserve is people questioning his motives or intelligence for posting the thread. He knows exactly what he's doing.

Umm, well sorry. I was not referring to Doug with my comment.
I was actually speaking more about you. smirk

So, there is that. Project away good sir. You're doing spendidly.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Page 16 of 31 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,706
Posts18,494,396
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.