-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm another that finds the recoil on the 9.3 X 62 very tolerable, and the muzzle rise minimal. I am also inclined to look at the stock dimensions. By your photo, the comb seems to be pretty much straight line and the barrel is not a pencil, so ???????

Magna-port will help, but I cut it off my 8mm mag. Barnes X bullets fouled the bore around it, and it was just darn loud to be around.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know this is an OLD thread, but my 9.3 kicks too hard for me. I didnt think I was recoil shy. But my sauer 100 makes me hate squeezing the trigger.
If I can't sell my 9.3, Im thinking of adding a muzzle break where I can turn the ports off. When hunting I don't feel jack, but on on the bench. no thanks,

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Dre, I too have same Sauer 100. Amazingly accurate. Due to neck injuries recoil was an issue. The factory recoil pad is too damn hard. Several people at Sauer said it was screwed on. After cutting it off i say yes but you will never find the screws. Also, for me, the length of pull was way too long. I cut it off and installed a limbsaver slip on recoil pad to correct length.Now entirely more comfortable for recoil and handling. I too researched a muzzle brake. If you go that route, choose your gunsmith carefully.
Most place the barreled action in a jig to install a muzzle brake. The Sauer is not a conventional action and most don't don't have the correct one. I may be all wrong but that was my experience. I am sure it's simple but don't let Bubba do it.Hope I was able to help a little.
Good Luck!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Uneducated here, but was hoping the 9.3 was not a huge step over the 06 in recoil. Wrong?
Does it kill proportionally better?

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a CZ550, don't see any need. Yes it does kick, but not as sharp as many others. Kind of a large slow push. At the bench it does tend to overcome the tolerance for recoil but for myself after 15 rounds. I HATE the Magnaported barrels, LOUD and obnoxious to anyone close by. Don't see the need. In the field, I know it went bang but the recoil is irrelevant.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dre
I know this is an OLD thread, but my 9.3 kicks too hard for me. I didnt think I was recoil shy. But my sauer 100 makes me hate squeezing the trigger.
If I can't sell my 9.3, Im thinking of adding a muzzle break where I can turn the ports off. When hunting I don't feel jack, but on on the bench. no thanks,

If it doesn't bother you when hunting, only on the bench, you could just use a sandbag full of shot between the rifle and your shoulder when shooting from the bench. The extra weight soaks up the recoil, and spreads it over a wider area. That way you don't need to alter your rifle.

The other, even simpler remedy would be to do your zeroing from a position where you can roll with the recoil. Rather than hunching down over the bench, try kneeling behind it, or setting yourself up to shoot from a standing rest.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
Uneducated here, but was hoping the 9.3 was not a huge step over the 06 in recoil. Wrong?

I have shot a couple of 9.3s, and have a 9.3x74R double rifle. With a properly-designed stock, I don't find them to be much of a step up in recoil from a .30/06. In fact I have one .30/06, with a bit too much drop and a narrow comb, which is noticeably more punishing than my 9.3.

On bigger animals, eg water buffalo, the 9.3 seems to perform noticeably better than the .30/06, from what I've observed, all else being more or less equal.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. I just ordered the slip on air limb saver. I have been waiting for a direct fit, I even contacted lib saver about year apart and doesn't look like one will be available any time soon.
anyways.
If recoil pad doesn't doo the trick, I might get a clamp on muzzle break for range session. Or sell or safe queen. who knows.

Regarding killing proportionally, I have 0 kills with the 9.3, but few elk with old 06.
i can shoot the 06 just fine and no shoulder pain. I'm getting MOA at 2900fps with 168 TTSX. Not much I can't kill with that.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dre
Thanks. I just ordered the slip on air limb saver. I have been waiting for a direct fit, I even contacted lib saver about year apart and doesn't look like one will be available any time soon.
anyways.
If recoil pad doesn't doo the trick, I might get a clamp on muzzle break for range session. Or sell or safe queen. who knows.

Regarding killing proportionally, I have 0 kills with the 9.3, but few elk with old 06.
i can shoot the 06 just fine and no shoulder pain. I'm getting MOA at 2900fps with 168 TTSX. Not much I can't kill with that.

I don’t think you’re leaving much on the table, going with the old ‘06, IMO.

I’ve had both, still have the ‘06. Like you, I’ve killed plenty of stuff with the ‘06, never bloodied my 9.3.

I don’t feel undergunned. But I do have a .375 H&H, although it’s never drawn blood, either.

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I load 232 grain Vulcan s with 15 grains Trail Boss. Recoil is like 22 rimfire. Great for endless practice,especially off the sticks and offhand shooting. Great way to thoroughly learn your rifle, trigger, and muscle memory. Sometimes hunting happens quick and you need to be instinctive when chit happens.Happy Hunting

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I have a Tikka 9.3 x 62. (And a CZ 375 H&H). I installed a Ken Rucker "Bump Buster" on both rifles. Works like a charm. See:

http://bumpbuster.blogspot.com

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Dre
I think the 30-06 is the perfect companion for 9.3x62. 168 gr ttsx@ 2900 or 130gr ttsx@ 3200. What's not to like? KISS

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by Dre

If it doesn't bother you when hunting, only on the bench, you could just use a sandbag full of shot between the rifle and your shoulder when shooting from the bench. The extra weight soaks up the recoil, and spreads it over a wider area. That way you don't need to alter your rifle.

The other, even simpler remedy would be to do your zeroing from a position where you can roll with the recoil. Rather than hunching down over the bench, try kneeling behind it, or setting yourself up to shoot from a standing rest.

+1 on using a different position for zero'ing. The guys who regulate the factory big boomers use a stand up arrangement that allows the body to roll with the flow. When I was baling hay on a regular basis, I always left one 5ft diameter round bale at the top of the hill by my rifle range. Would throw a jacket or old blanket on top of it when when I wanted to shoot or zero a .375H&H or .30-378. No issues with recoil. And could shoot MOA groups if I took my time and settled into each shot.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks everyone.
That bump buster is cool but damn Gina! it is not cheap. $240 and possible gun smith work. I will have to pass on that at this time
Texson2,
my other rifle is 270 with 130 TTSX at 3100+ fps using Hunter ,The 06 uses big game. I almost got the 35Whalen to have the trio.
I go out with my 10/22 for jacks and I get good quick shouldering work out.
Also, is your limb saver slip on a medium? I feel like the M is little loose.

Last edited by Dre; 06/01/19.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Sooner or later if you port the rifle, you will forget ear protection. You won’t be happy when you light it off. The same for muzzle brakes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I don't find my FN based 9.3x62 to be any harder to shoot than my 06. Same with my CZ550 FS, Maybe its just me. Mostly shoot 250 accubonds at 2650 fps

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sidepass

I don't find my FN based 9.3x62 to be any harder to shoot than my 06. Same with my CZ550 FS, Maybe its just me. Mostly shoot 250 accubonds at 2650 fps

I'd guess stock fit, gun weight and your shooting technique are important issues.

I didn't find my 9.3 to be that bad, nor my .375 H&H, even my good buds 500 NE Merkel.

They kick differently, for sure. Non as bad as a light weight 300 Win Mag that I subsequently traded.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you are shooting multiple rounds from a benchrest you might want to consider a Past Recoil Pad. I wear one if I'm going to shoot more than a few rounds from my 9.3x62 or one of my other kickers. I have a 300 WM, 358 Win and 45-70 that all kick worse than my heavier CZ 9.3. When hunting, I never notice the recoil on any of my rifles.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems I remember a picture of Elmer Keith shooting a big gun off a standing bench.

I got long legs for my bench, just haven’t used it like that yet.

That seems to make a big difference.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Slip on pad on the rifle, Past Recoil Shield and standing bench should cure all your problems. The "right kind" of brake is not that loud nor have I ever found mag Na Porting to be that loud. Of course, I've never found Magnaporting to do more for recoil other than keeping it out of your face. It just keeps the front end down better.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,363
Posts18,527,223
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.