Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've got a CZ 550 I dearly love, it was an FS model that now sits in a McMillan CZ AHR pattern stock. When I fire this gun from the bench recoil is straight back and very tolerable. Things change off-hand, however, using a tight forehand grip and the usual hard rear-hand grip the gun bucks up and breaks my rear grip, driving my thumb into the scope's objective bell. Back on the bench all is well. I've used a tight sling, and all it did was bruise up my arm where I'd cinched it into the sling grin

So, what about Magnaporting? I've read hundreds of threads here and on other boards and the consensus seems to be that it has three attributes: (1) eliminates or greatly reduces muzzle rise; (2) has little if any effect on rearward recoil and (3) has little, if any, affect on noise, though muzzle blast is increased somewhat.

The reduction is muzzle rise is what I'm after, but because this rifle shoots so well as is I am loathe to permanently alter it. Is Magnaport the solution, or is there another method to reduce muzzle rise? I could use a different stock pattern, but this AHR pattern carries so well I've really become attached to it. The comb is very narrow and when used with iron sights the muzzle rise causes it to punch me in the cheek. I shot five rounds and came home with a black eye crazy Had to make up a funny story for that...

So, distilled, my question is: have you shot magnaported rifles and, if so, what was your experience?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would not port it. I would most likely find another stock. I have a 9.3x62 on a Model 70 & it is very pleasant to shoot.

Who is John Galt?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I bought a lightweight 375 H&H that was ported. It was loud and those slits just plain bugged me. I had the barrel cut just behind the ports and really did not notice a difference in recoil or rise. It was stocked in a McM Mountian stock which handled the recoil very well.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
....I'd pass on porting the gun too. I'm prejudiced against such muzzle porting since it so increases muzzle blast, not worth it in a caliber as comfortable to shoot as the 9.3X62 (especially with the CZ550's weight). I agree that the problem you're describing is most attributable to stock design, a straighter combed stock would be a better answer in my book..The CZFS models have that Euro butt stock design which is much inferior to a classic American butt stock, in my opinion, so far as felt recoil is concerned. I have a CZ550FS in 7X57 that isn't a problem with the milder Mauser cartridge but still has more felt recoil than were it to feature a straighter combed classic American style stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oregon-first off it seems hinky to me that the 9.3x62 would be giving you issues. I find it to be a very light recoiler...?

But, to the issue at hand it it's uncomfy then something needs to change. First off you could always rebarrel it to .270... grin

Seriously about magnaporting. I am a big fan of it and would do it in a heart beat. I've done it to a few rigs and the reason why was always to reduce the mzl jump. Of which it is very successful at doing so. I really didn't notice any noticeable increase in mzl report either.

I wouldn't have a mzl brake on a gun for all the tea in china but porting is something I'd do in a heartbeat if I were you.

I'd say get after it!

Dobro

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

If it were me, I would port it..It will tame the buckaroo! I agree on the problem with the stock design, but you have it a high end stock already, so, I would spend the few extra bucks for the Magnaport. I ported a M70 300WM and it shoots and handles great. I let a guy use my rifle to shoot a moose in Newfoundland, and the first thing he said after shooting it was he noticed he still saw the moose in the scope. I think it's designed basically for muzzle flip, but I think it reduces recoil a bit IMO..

Art

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
How are you built? Very often we get little or nor muzzle rise from the bench because we are hunched forward into the stock, which tends to place our shoulder higher on the recoil pad. Thus a straighter recoil push.

But if you have a longer neck and/or sloping shoulders this all changes from offhand. Here only the bottom of the recoil pad (the toe) contacts our shoulder. This causes the muzzle to flip up.

I would suggest that your pain is mostly a result of stock design not matching your build. But if you really, really like the stock, then Magnaporting may be the answer. It is generally more effective, though, on higher-intensity cartridges, with higher muzzle pressure. (The same applies to muzzle brakes in general.) The 9.3x62 is definitely not on the high-intensity end of big game cartridges, so the effect of MP'ing won't be as great as with, say, a .300 magnum.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Would changing the length of pull on the stock have any effect? Right now it is the standard 13.5"

As for light recoil, I was getting an average of 2500fps (for ten shots) from Speer 270's this afternoon grin In a 7 3/4 pound rifle laugh

Here's the rifle in question; the stock really has excellent handling qualities, and in a lesser cartridge would likely present no issues at all:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregon45; 11/23/08.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Try the original FS stock. My 9.3X62 550FS doesn't do anything like that.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
I had the original stock, and it was good in terms of controlling muzzle rise. It was less good at resisting moisture. grin

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is that the original stock behind the current one? I assume it is in which case is has significantly more drop at the comb than the current one. That might be a clue to the problem, as suggested by JB.

While the recoil is not insignificant, yet it appears to be about 34 - 35 ft-lbs, which should not wreck your confidence or cause a bleeding nose or thumb in and of itself. grin

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Your dealing with a stock that apparantly does not fit you and your a tad recoil shy IMO...The 9.3x62 is a mild recoiling rifle, so a new stock or a reshapeing of the one you have may be the answer...

A muzzle brake is an option and they certainly work, but you do get a bit more blast, but big guns make big bangs with or without a brake and can damage your hearing with or without a brake.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Also, the wrist of the stock appears very deep (thick) to me. Depending on the size of your hands, that could make it more difficult to hold onto firmly under recoil. smile

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I only ever had one rifle Magnaported. It was a 7-08 in a Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle. Reason - I was suffering from a pinched nerve in my neck which in turn affected my right arm.

While receiving treatment for the pinched nerve I was told I might have to give up shooting.

The mountain rifle had significant muzzle rise before the porting which in turn I could feel in my neck during recoil. After porting the problem went away. The recoil came straight back.

Since it worked on the relatively light recoiling 7-08 I am sure it would help even more with a 9.3.

Jim

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 35Whelen is mag-na-ported. Reason I did this is I traded a 338 win mag off on it years ago, the 35 felt harsh when firing from the bench and about the same as the 338 offhand. I wanted a lighter ,shorter, pleasent recoiling rifle when i went to the whelen. After porting that's what i got. It recoils straight back, felt recoil seems about 1/3rd of what it was pre-porting. The whelen now has 30-06 class recoil and the power of a 338 win. in a short , light package. I have not noticed any increase in sound levels when shooting in the field unprotected.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I Mag-na-ported my .35 Whelen and I'm glad I did! Recoil comes straight back and the muzzle rise is noticably less. My RSM in 375 H&H isn't Mag-na-ported but handles the same as my .35 because of the stock design. I have to agree with the posters who think it's a stock issue, the new one doesn't seem to fit you correctly.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been considering a 9.3 x 62 and they seem to be a fairly mild recoil cartridge in the medium bore catagory. Sounds like a stock thing.. For whatever reason this particular one isn't the best for you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If it is stock design I'd change. I have a Blaser R93 tracker that weights about 7lbs with a scope on it. It is very mild in recoil, and one of my faviorte rifles.

9.3x62 is fast becoming my fav, for a do all round. It kill's on one end without doing it on the other

Ed

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks for the input guys, I am going to try installing a 1/2" spacer under the recoil pad to lengthen the stock a bit as I shoot off-hand almost exclusively.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Weatherby 338-06 in the Ultra Light stock. Muzzle rise was the problem. I had it Mag-na-Ported and it solved the problem entirely! Felt recoil was also reduced to a little less than 30-06 levels. Sound level is not noticeably louder, but I am deaf as a post.

+1 on Mag-na-Porting.

Last edited by kevinh1157; 11/28/08.

Kevin Haile
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 49 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,338
Posts18,526,811
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.