Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Osage averaged about 6’5 in height with seven footers and women well over six feet not being uncommon.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It appears the cannibalism thing was a rumor?

Tonkawa

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Back when I was young, probably in lower grade school, but I do not know exactly when, I stayed overnight with a friend. He showed me a headstone for a family that was killed by the Fox and Sac Indians. It was not on their land but across the fence, in some woods, about 50 yards from the property line. That was the first that I had ever heard of this tribe of Indians, and it stuck in my memory. If the woods have not been cleared, I might be able to find the headstone. The land that my friends family owned has been put into fish ponds, and I have not been there in years. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Q
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
My surrogates... LOL. You leave out the part about "my surrogates" contacting you and informing you that there are people here willing to help you. And one of those offering that help was ME.That help was offered despite your efforts of insulting and threats by you, once we learned of your situation.

If your "offer" was genuine, you would never have shared the info with anyone, and you would have contacted me yourself via PM. Rather, it was your surrogate who convinced you not to go-public more than you did.

I would rather die from cancer than accept any charity from you.

Like Sam Houston, I will vote for what is best for ME in 2020.
Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Tonkawa

Naah, it was directly observed by Noah Smithwick (who got along very well with Indians) when as Bob relates they borrowed his neighbor's kettle, also observed by Ranald MacKenzie more than thirty years later when they guided his column against the Comanches during the Red River War.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
My surrogates... LOL. You leave out the part about "my surrogates" contacting you and informing you that there are people here willing to help you. And one of those offering that help was ME.That help was offered despite your efforts of insulting and threats by you, once we learned of your situation.

If your "offer" was genuine, you would never have shared the info with anyone, and you would have contacted me yourself via PM. Rather, it was your surrogate who convinced you not to go-public more than you did.

I would rather die from cancer than accept any charity from you.

Ummm... No.

My friend never suggested anything of the sort about go-public. Nothing. I also assure you I never contacted anyone about your information at all. Any inquiries at all came to me. Not vice versa.

We did discuss extending a helping hand to you because of your circumstances though. We were both on board with that.

Despite you previously calling us every name in the book, and disparaging both of us.

That is the difference in people with decency, and those that believe that everyone is out to hurt them.

Given your behavior here in just a short time, I sure don't blame you for being skeptical. But it is what it is. The offer was genuine alright.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
To quote Mr. Smithwick from his book. Evolution of a State. ( still in print).

"Having fleeced off the flesh of the dead Comanche, they borrowed a big wash kettle from Puss Webber, into which they put the Comanche meat, together with a lot of corn and potatoes - the most revolting mess my eyes ever rested on."

He goes on to describe how all present simply dipped it out with their hands and consumed it. Then performed a scalp dance followed with a mock battle dance.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob
The Osage averaged about 6’5 in height with seven footers and women well over six feet not being uncommon.

Yep and in combat they would sprint out from concealment, grab the tail of an opponent's horse and flip the horse over, Fehrenbach has it that when going against the Osages the Comanches would tie their horse's tails up short to guard against this eventuality.

The degree of sheer athleticism common to Indian warfare is often overlooked. Back East in the 1700's Iroquois warriors were travelling 600 miles on foot to wage war against the Cherokee and the dreaded Chickasaw, and vice versa. Black Hawk, of the 1830's Sac and Fox War, as a young man traveled twice alone through the land of the enemy Pawnee in order to pick a fight with a grizzly in hand to hand combat.

Here in Texas by that time we presume displaced Eastern Indian Tribes were more or less subdued by nature, but we have a story of a party of Delawares out hunting on foot, running two whole days in pursuit of a party of mounted Comanches that had killed one of their number, surprising the Comanches in their camp, and taking their vengeance.

Up in North Dakota there's a Mandan Indian Village museum featuring a beautifully painted buffalo robe. The owner of that robe lay in in concealment for six days in close proximity to a Chippewa Indian village, finally early on the sixth morning he sprang out of concealment to kill and scalp a mother and teenage daughter within full view of the enemy village, and succeeded in making his escape. All this painted on the robe, along with hte time he killed a famous Cheyenne warrior in a pre-arranged duel.

I thought it sad that all that effort, hardihood and endurance was expended for the purpose of killing a mother and daughter.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Yep and in combat they would sprint out from concealment, grab the tail of an opponent's horse and flip the horse over, Fehrenbach has it that when going against the Osages the Comanches would tie their horse's tails up short to guard against this eventuality.

The degree of sheer athleticism common to Indian warfare is often overlooked. Back East in the 1700's Iroquois warriors were travelling 600 miles on foot to wage war against the Cherokee and the dreaded Chickasaw, and vice versa. Black Hawk, of the 1830's Sac and Fox War, as a young man traveled twice alone through the land of the enemy Pawnee in order to pick a fight with a grizzly in hand to hand combat.

Here in Texas by that time we presume displaced Eastern Indian Tribes were more or less subdued by nature, but we have a story of a party of Delawares out hunting on foot, running two whole days in pursuit of a party of mounted Comanches that had killed one of their number, surprising the Comanches in their camp, and taking their vengeance.

Up in North Dakota there's a Mandan Indian Village museum featuring a beautifully painted buffalo robe. The owner of that robe lay in in concealment for six days in close proximity to a Chippewa Indian village, finally early on the sixth morning he sprang out of concealment to kill and scalp a mother and teenage daughter within full view of the enemy village, and succeeded in making his escape. All this painted on the robe, along with hte time he killed a famous Cheyenne warrior in a pre-arranged duel.

I thought it sad that all that effort, hardihood and endurance was expended for the purpose of killing a mother and daughter.

I met one of those tall Osage gals up in Oklahoma years ago.

She was a fun gal, and could country dance up a storm. smile

She was a bit over 6' tall. Said she was the shortest in her family.

The Osage are beautiful, statuesque, proud people. Not like other NA's I had known before.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Of course, there is no scale in this painting. But even so, the artist did a fine job of giving a sense of the hulking size of this Osage warrior.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
During Colonel Parilla’s punitive expedition against the Taovaya’s and other northern tribes from Presidio San Luis de las Amarillas in 1757, he witnessed a Comanche "cacique" on horseback, leave the earthen fortified Taovaya village, armed with a French trade fusil followed by 4 or 5 warriors on foot all armed with anFrench fusil as his loaders. He would fire and a running warrior would exchange a loaded fusil for his empty one. Parilla goes on the explainthat he never had an empry gun in his hand for very long.

The indians kicked Spanish butt and captured their small 1 pounder cannon on a galloper carraige. They ended up returning this gun to the Spanish in Natchitoches Louisiana during a treaty visit in 1780! This was way after the Spanish had been granted Luisiana from the Bourbon French thru the Treay of Paris 1763. The Indians said they were just tired of hauling it around everywhere.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Tonkawa

Naah, it was directly observed by Noah Smithwick (who got along very well with Indians) when as Bob relates they borrowed his neighbor's kettle, also observed by Ranald MacKenzie more than thirty years later when they guided his column against the Comanches during the Red River War.

Well as you can see, the source was WIKI, so there you are . You should go in and edit but I bet they'll not allow it.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never come across a good volume on the Tonks, even Gwynn in his well written but unevenly researched Empire of the Summer Moon opens the book by singling out the Tonkawas as “always losing”.

Re: the Mississippi rifle, in its original incarnation it was a .54 caliber, 33 inch round-ball rifle with the then-common 1:48 twist. Essentially a plains rifle or Hawken in military garb. Apparently there were quantities on hand in Texas. They were the primary arm of RIP Ford’s Texas Rangers in the 1850’s (the 1851 Colt Navy revolver has yet to flood the state) and were also issued to the Tonkawas prior to Ford’s 1860 venture against the Comanches.

Here’s a really good link on the Mississippi rifle, note how many went directly into civilian hands, it really oughtta be right up there among the pantheon of famous arms of the West, prob’ly a lot more Mississippis than Hawkens for example....

https://www.historynet.com/mississippi-rifle-became-classic-western-arm.htm

Q
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
kaywoodie and Birdwatcher - great reading!

Texans read their Bibles to find what they want it to say, and are blind to what it actually says...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Quick_Karl
kaywoodie and Birdwatcher - great reading!

Here ya go, Noah Smithwick's autobiography, as referenced by Kaywoodie, is still available in its entirety online.... Smithwick lived with the Comanches, the Lipan Apaches use to hang out at his blacksmith/gunsmith shop, and once he rode for three weeks with a party of Cherokees after Comanche horse thieves

http://www.lsjunction.com/olbooks/smithwic/otd.htm

Another great source is Texas Ranger Captain John Salmon Ford's collected memoirs, "RIP Ford's Texas". Much of it will seem familiar because McMurty borrowed liberally from Ford's career when he wrote "Lonesome Dove". Available used from $9 shipped on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

Both these guys were the real deal, but I gotta warn ya, reading either of these guys will shatter the stereotype of cold-blooded butchers of Indians settling Texas.

Tell ya what; please post your name, SSN#, DOB and mailing address on here and I'll send ya a copy smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’ve read both of those books Mike and highly recommend them.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just ordered both, thanks guys.

Q
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Tell ya what; please post your name, SSN#, DOB and mailing address on here and I'll send ya a copy smile

Whatever you are smoking, is way too strong for you! wink

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Reading empire of the summer moon now

Very interesting read

I have never come across a good volume on the Tonks, even Gwynn in his well written but unevenly researched Empire of the Summer Moon opens the book by singling out the Tonkawas as “always losing”.

Re: the Mississippi rifle, in its original incarnation it was a .54 caliber, 33 inch round-ball rifle with the then-common 1:48 twist. Essentially a plains rifle or Hawken in military garb. Apparently there were quantities on hand in Texas. They were the primary arm of RIP Ford’s Texas Rangers in the 1850’s (the 1851 Colt Navy revolver has yet to flood the state) and were also issued to the Tonkawas prior to Ford’s 1860 venture against the Comanches.

Here’s a really good link on the Mississippi rifle, note how many went directly into civilian hands, it really oughtta be right up there among the pantheon of famous arms of the West, prob’ly a lot more Mississippis than Hawkens for example....

https://www.historynet.com/mississippi-rifle-became-classic-western-arm.htm

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Empire Of The Summer Moon is a great read! I’m not sure however that it is very historically accurate though.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,658
Posts18,493,515
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.