Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like at least a 10 power, 14 is better for me.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some actually blame bad groups on the target? SMH

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Depends on what you bough it for.

If you bought it to shoot itty bitty groups, you might be disappointed shooting groups with a 6x scope at 100 or 200 yds.

If you bought it for a hunting rifle and are going to kill stuff bigger than chipmonks, maybe not.

How many times do you shoot 3,4 or 10 times at a game animal. Usually for me it takes one, sometimes two. Very seldom more.

You did not mention whether you shoot over a chrony to develp an accuracy vs a velocity correlation.

I do, and after I make a choice on the load I will hunt with, I'm particulary concerned with first shot out of a cold barrel that has been fouled in.

One could always take and shoot one round and if he was satisfied that he did his part, wait until the barrel reached ambient temperature, then fire a second round, then do the same, ad nauseum.

Or he could go on three different occasions and shoot the same target at the same distance. That might give you a better indication of what to expect from your "hunting" rifle!

Each target below, 1st shot out of cold barrel before the hunt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had an old insurance mentor that had a saying, when you know you know, and you know you know, confidence replaces fear.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/19/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by WoodrowFCall
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by timl
I know a bunch of the guys here don’t have an issue with it, but I can’t shoot good groups with a 6x. I can’t always tell if I’m holding in exactly the same spot every time. Maybe a larger aiming point would help.

The shape of what you're aiming at matters, as well as the size. With appropriate targets it's no biggie to shoot well below MOA with even 4x.

A good general purpose target that works with a lot of reticles/magnifications is a large open diamond. Targets made to suit specific reticle/magnification/distance combinations are even better.

Got a recommendation of the target I should try?

With crosshairs or duplex or similar reticles, I recommend an X as the aiming mark, preferably one with legs on the X which are tapered. Something like this, although you can make a serviceable aiming mark of similar style with a Sharpie:

[Linked Image]

It is a great deal easier to hold consistently on the centre with this design than it is to try to hold on the centre of a circle or the corner of a square or diamond, and I've found it perfectly viable to shoot groups under 1 moa even with low-powered scopes. I've shot any number of sub-moa groups with aperture sights too, though with a different aiming mark - having the right aiming mark for the sights makes a big difference.

The other thing that you might try paying attention to is consistency in how you hold the rifle. I've found that holding a light rifle in both hands (ie weak hand on the forend) does have a beneficial effect on accuracy from the bench, as does maintaining consistency of such things as pressure of the buttplate against the shoulder. Make sure your trigger finger doesn't drag on the stock and swivels don't drag on the bags too. That may account for some of the stringing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 65BR
JG, nice shooting, what scope you running. I assume yours is a sporter w/standard round barrel?

Thanks. Standard T3X , 4-12x LRHS.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GeoW

g

Fake news! I shoot a 4x4 inch white square with nothing on it at all ranges with cardboard behind. It is like using the natural inclination of the eye to line up the front sight with the peep opening!

Last edited by bigwhoop; 06/19/19.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I 'borrowed' this pic of JG's target:

[quote=JGRaider

[Linked Image]

FWIW (?) At 100 yds I 'usually' use these target dots -- 2" dia.

FOR ME - I aim AT 6:00 PM. The whole circle is ABOVE my crosshair. I can tell when the gun goes off if I'm Hi, Lo, R, or L.
I normally use 8 X but have used less.

I don't like aiming at a large square or diamond - because there is so much room for the crosshair to BE IN or cover.
It didn't take me long to see the advantage of 6 O'clock hold.

Try it, you might like it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’ve got one that strings horizontally a bit. Reloads have tightened it up a bit, but it still string horizontally. I expect that I’ll nail down the issue without too much trouble.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looking for feedback on either my shooting or my rifle.

It's a Tikka Stainless Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor, SWFA 6X scope. 100 yard groups, factory ammo off bags. I'm going to check the stock bolt torque next.

Results are about typical. The best 10 shot group I got out of the rifle so far is the pic labeled ELDX. Other groups with that ammo has not been quite that good, but similar.

All these sob's will tell you their Tikka's shoot sub moa 10 shot groups all day long and they are the last guys to enter into the moa all day long challenge here. I'm thinking your superlite is doing just fine and probably about typical for 10 shot groups for most superlite tikka rifles. Mine was shooting about like that, until I glass bed it. Then groups shrank to a reasonable size. Keep in mind, your rifle is new and the barrel is still breaking in. You'll start seeing a little better accuracy after 100 rounds down the tube.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It's a Tikka Stainless Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor, SWFA 6X scope. 100 yard groups, factory ammo off bags. I'm going to check the stock bolt torque next.

Results are about typical. The best 10 shot group I got out of the rifle so far is the pic labeled ELDX. Other groups with that ammo has not been quite that good, but similar.

All these sob's will tell you their Tikka's shoot sub moa 10 shot groups all day long and they are the last guys to enter into the moa all day long challenge here. I'm thinking your superlite is doing just fine and probably about typical for 10 shot groups for most superlite tikka rifles. Mine was shooting about like that, until I glass bed it. Then groups shrank to a reasonable size. Keep in mind, your rifle is new and the barrel is still breaking in. You'll start seeing a little better accuracy after 100 rounds down the tube.

The ultimate Paper Tiger has spoken....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just curious. We're you shooting from a bench, or an improvised device? Not trying to be a smart azz. Just curious. Folks like to start wrenching on rifles,before checking this very important box. Might be easier to address than changing a bunch of things on the rig. Tikkas can be challenging to assemble. Look into that first. Scopes can be a real problem also. But if you aren't shooting from a solid platform,good groups will be hard to come by.

I currently have 3 T3s. I've owned 13 over the years. The worst was an 06. Stainless synthetic. It shot right at MOA. Take a hard look at your bench and technique first.

Last edited by Otter6; 06/20/19.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Not fancy or expensive,but it sure helps sort out accuracy issues.
[Linked Image]

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Just curious, is the 45 in/lb recommended from the factory or is that based on your experience? I was wondering what they should be torqued to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station
Just curious, is the 45 in/lb recommended from the factory or is that based on your experience? I was wondering what they should be torqued to.

It's in the manual.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here’s a clue dumbass. Most people don’t give a dam about your beloved challenge.

While you’re sitting at the bench ejaculating over groups, others are out getting it done with some 3/5 shot groups.

You ever dig up a pic of you with a dead animal?

All these sob's will tell you their Tikka's shoot sub moa 10 shot groups all day long and they are the last guys to enter into the moa all day long challenge here.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by GeoW

g

🥴 those targets are sure tricky.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DUI is the cars fault. 😎

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I'll have to count boxes, but that group was after about 80 rounds. I do think there have been quite a few suggestions that are worth looking at.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Otter6
Just curious. We're you shooting from a bench, or an improvised device? Not trying to be a smart azz. Just curious. Folks like to start wrenching on rifles,before checking this very important box. Might be easier to address than changing a bunch of things on the rig. Tikkas can be challenging to assemble. Look into that first. Scopes can be a real problem also. But if you aren't shooting from a solid platform,good groups will be hard to come by.

I currently have 3 T3s. I've owned 13 over the years. The worst was an 06. Stainless synthetic. It shot right at MOA. Take a hard look at your bench and technique first.

Concrete bench with sand bags on top. Pretty sturdy/stable.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Some targets just don't produce a good sight picture. It'll definitely make it harder to zero in a rifle.

I appreciate the input from everybody. Lots of good thoughts!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some targets just don't produce a good sight picture. It'll definitely make it harder to zero in a rifle.

I appreciate the input from everybody. Lots of good thoughts!

Yep. Some people just have to be smartasses.

I can use a 3/8" dot for a target with my high magnification, fine reticle scopes but it won't make for a good sight picture with a 6x and Leupold heavy duplex.

One of the links I provided should give you a good target for the SWFA 6x you're using.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (163bc, 160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 54 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,784
Posts18,477,205
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.