Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dirtfarmer: Do you think the campfire would a good place to launch candidates for the NRA BOD? You would be an excellent candidate and you have an attorney friend that would be an absolute bulldog if he is eligible. I am sure we have other members here who would be good and have the education and common sense to recognize malfeasance and stealing.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by Hastings
Dirtfarmer: Do you think the campfire would a good place to launch candidates for the NRA BOD? You would be an excellent candidate and you have an attorney friend that would be an absolute bulldog if he is eligible. I am sure we have other members here who would be good and have the education and common sense to recognize malfeasance and stealing.

Interesting thought. If we could get a good candidate, I would support him/her. How many votes do you need to win? Probably more than on 24HCF.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bet every one of us NRA members on the campfire know and are friends with a bunch of other NRA members. It would be hard to oust LaPierre but it can be done. It has been designed so that Wayne can weather most any storm. I think Allen West is our best bet assuming he hasn't had his hand in the jar. I would be surprised if he is not clean. I believe Ollie North was competing with Wayne and that was the argument between them.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is time for LaPierre to go. Past time. An honorable man would step aside to restore the membership's faith in the organization. A greedy narcissistic fool would stand fast. They won't see another penny of my money while he is at the helm.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I have been a Benefactor member for some years and continue to financially support. As I walked the floor in Indy a reporter with a British accent asked reaction to the emerging controversy. I told her the strength of the NRA is its membership and I still believe this.

Cutting off funding while this shakes out is exactly what the anti’s want. I don’t know the good guys from the bad, but I will continue to support while this skakes out. The mess make me very sad and I badly want it to end. We need a strong, ethical NRA now more than ever.

Please pray this gets settled the right way and soon.

I also support GOA & The 2nd Amendment Foundation.

P S. I always thought that Boren, a Democrat and former Congressman, as a BOD member was a terrible idea.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are two major hurdles to getting opposition members seated on the board.

First is the nomination process. You have to have quite a few current NRA member sign paper petitions and the rules for the petitions are stringent and make it easy for the Nominating Committee to invalidate petitions. You have to have knowledgeable and meticulous people organize the petition drive and you have to put up a lot of new candidates to make any difference on such a large board.

Secondly is the voting. To get opposition candidates elected you need a lot of knowledgeable members to cast 'bullet ballots' where they do not use all of their votes but only vote for the opposition candidates. If you vote all of your votes you just help one of the establishment candidates stay ahead of the opposition candidates.

I believe to actually influence the governance of the NRA you need high profile insiders to come out, take a stand, and launch an open opposition campaign in order to reach enough people with enough information.

The Ollie North situation is a mystery. Why did the prior president step down before his term ended? I suspected that he and his family were getting too many Antifa-type threats and they needed someone better able to defend himself. Now I wonder if he stepped down because he had already come to understand the problem with Lapierre and his lock on the Board.

Last edited by GunReader; 06/21/19.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Pat85
In 2018 the NRA took in over $412 million in revenue $433 million in 2016. The fight for control over that organization isn't about 2A freedoms.
Would you think that someone with $400+ million to use at his discretion to have the most powerful politicians in the country eating out of his hand would give that up without a fight to the death?

Absolutely not.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some others in that organization would be willing to kill to get that top spot for the very same reason Wayne is fighting to keep it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can bet a U.S. senator will hang up on anyone else if Wayne is on the phone.

With annual revenues around $5 mill a year, they would hang up the phone on anyone calling from GOA. The NRA are the big dogs that we can't afford to lose and Wayne and company knows it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know this, the NRA COULD be helping State firearms groups, but if they are doing in other states what they are in Tennessee, it is simply to seek access to the establishment, making sure they are welcome in the offices of the Speakers and NOT applying pressure to pass restorative measures. The NRA has passed out "Orange Cards" in the last 4 election cycles that give "A" ratings to legislators that have NEVER been on the gun owners side, but who kiss the rears of the speakers of the two houses and keep us in perpetual subservience the the 1870 Jim Crow law that makes carrying a firearm a crime, our hand gun carry permit is a "defense against prosecution" and is simply a money making venture for the State.

This year they touted a "new" permit system that is for concealed carry only, cost $35 an 8 year term less than the original that allows for concealed or open carry, and will simply confuse the LE departments. A person with the "enhanced" permit (what they are calling the original) carrying openly may very well be stopped to ascertain which permit they have, and if they can not produce a card saying "enhanced" will be subject to arrest for violating the law. It is a dang mess. A person like me will not get a new card bearing the "enhanced" language till they renew, and that will be 7 years as I just renewed last year...all the while I was sponsoring a bill that would relive a lawful self defense use of deadly force from being subject to a civil suit if no charges were brought, but the NRA did not help with that one...

In full disclosure, I am the West TN Director of the Tennessee Firearms Association, and the last good lobbyist we had in Tennessee was Darren LaSorte. (2006) He would take the legislators to the woodshed and help us out. the cute and gigglys we have now simply want access to report back they have had coffee with important people. Kentucky got Constitutional Carry, we got Concealed only when we already had open or concealed carry.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I bet every one of us NRA members on the campfire know and are friends with a bunch of other NRA members. It would be hard to oust LaPierre but it can be done. It has been designed so that Wayne can weather most any storm. I think Allen West is our best bet assuming he hasn't had his hand in the jar. I would be surprised if he is not clean. I believe Ollie North was competing with Wayne and that was the argument between them.

They got it wrapped up pretty tight, evidently, wagons are circled.

Who has the time and it would take a fair amount of money.

But if good folks do nothing...

You know that admonition. And it’s true.

I think there would be a surprising ground swell of support for the right team willing to fight.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I would love to hear Pete Brownell’s story. Bet it’s a good one. Maybe it’ll come out one of these days

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
It is time for LaPierre to go. Past time. An honorable man would step aside to restore the membership's faith in the organization. A greedy narcissistic fool would stand fast. They won't see another penny of my money while he is at the helm.

I think you profiled him pretty well.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once leadership has been changed rules regarding salaries, expenditures, etc. need to be implemented, and no more compromise or yield to any gun law.
Let the NRA be what it should be to stand strong for 2nd Amendment rights

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

Don't need to sink the ship, just need to right the SOB back on course. Dang well better be soon.

This...

Originally Posted by 22250rem
As an endowment member, I sure hope they can get their affairs in order, clean house, and get back to work. I believe they can do that. Of course, the left wants all NRA members to give up on them and walk away. They're drooling with glee in anticipation of something like that. Don't give them the satisfaction.

Especially this...

Originally Posted by Hudge

There's been some gun figures on YouTube calling for the burning down of the NRA so it can built from the foundation up again. I am thinking more and more, that might be the only way to right the ship.

No...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
We need to identify the active board members who are mad enough to take action. I'm sure there are a few fire brands, thoroughly pizzed about now.

If we had names and email addresses, we could start suppporting them, put together an underground force to save the NRA, come up with a snappy logo... Something like the NRA swamp drainers, or Save our NRA,,,.

I think substantial numbers would respond, a bunch here on the Fire and other forums.

People feel used and abused, I know, I do.... And our 2A hangs in the balance.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 06/21/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner

Don't need to sink the ship, just need to right the SOB back on course. Dang well better be soon.

I agree, Dave.

But first, a few need to walk the plank, a few need to tied to the mast and feel the cat of 9 tails...

Then the ship will be fine...

Ship's not the problem, she sails very well...

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The NRA needs its own Trump.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have been an NRA member since the 60s and most of it as a "lifer". The behavior of board and staff leaders has been problematic at times - sometimes fairly bad - and almost always due to selfish power struggles over less than central ideological factors. People do strange things due to greed for power, status, money, etc. and this blowup has a more nasty flavor. I am concerned and wary, but will support the NRA while hoping that some solid/honorable people on that board coalesce, get a grip on what is needed, and properly reform the thing. This organization continues to be the best tool for protecting our right to keep and bear arms, so am observing with keen interest and much hope. Given that which has been revealed, I believe that big leadership changes are necessary, that La Pierre, Cox and some of their loyal minions must go away, and that the NRA must put in place an excellent CEO and lobbying unit - there is a plethora of value-driven talent and leadership available. Put aside the petty interests and make it happen.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
The NRA needs its own Trump.

That would work...!

DF

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.