Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

My new Tikka. Testing out 2 different loads:
[Linked Image]

My old hunting rifle. Tikka superlite:
[Linked Image]

That's damned good.

Got a couple of new AR's but haven't had time to shoot them much yet.............one's a shorter barreled vehicle gun with a red dot & with a CL barrel so it's not really a candidate.

I'll get to it soon though I hope...................busy summer & more to come though.

MM

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
1.5 moa is not going to win many matches typically when the X ring is 1 moa, and the ten ring is 2 moa. Add in conditions its going to beat you.
A 99 is a 2+ MOA group on the MR. It's over a 3 MOA group on a SR. (Assuming the whole 10 ring is used)
There are so few people who can shoot a 1 MOA 10 shot from position as to be nearly irrelevant. I don't know of anyone who can do it every time, even if you exclude Standing.

Of course, 1.5MOA isn't going to win every match, but it will get 'er dun in most club matches. You're pretty unlucky if your club includes someone like Bernosky.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
MR/SR., they use different targets now? My mind goes to the harder line, 600, 10 ring is half the size of the X ring. Thats where it gets tough. If your AMMO won't hold even the X ring life is getting really hard. IIRC you are talking 200-300 yard more foregiving targets. Regardless even there things help.. have you shot a 100-0x like I have.. missed the wind but the knot stayed tight enough?.....

6 inch x ring, 1 moa. 10 ring, measure it, either side of the x ring, its 3 inches to the line, then 3 inches to the edge of 9, 3 to edge of 8, 6 to edge of 7.

So if your ammo shoots 1.5 moa, its using all the x ring, plus one side of the 10 ring., That leaves 3 inches wobble, for you, the gun, calling the wind and light correctly.

Now if your gun is .5 moa, 3 inch group at 600, and you wobble the same, you have shot a 200-20X and not even close to the 10.

The other way around you might shoot a 200 the odds of 20 X ain't happening...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

My new Tikka. Testing out 2 different loads:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's damned good.

Got a couple of new AR's but haven't had time to shoot them much yet.............one's a shorter barreled vehicle gun with a red dot & with a CL barrel so it's not really a candidate.

I'll get to it soon though I hope...................busy summer & more to come though.

MM

I knew you were wanting to shoot more than a month ago, when you bumped the black rifle thread to the top.. You always have good chit to share...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Obviously, the super light is bad.

Please send to me for T&E.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by David_Walter

[Linked Image]

Yeah, ha ha.. I do need to start testing some "hunting" bullets in it though. My buddy has one (cabela's superlite) that shoots pretty good with the Hornady precision hunter ammo, using the 143gr ELDX.. I'm thinking about giving that bullet a try next... Target shooting is pretty much done with that rifle. I have 3 other 6.5 creedmoors that are better suited for punching paper... I know guys use the 147 ELD match bullets for hunting, but after having some issues with a bad lot of 140 ELD match bullets, I'll likely never use them on a game animal:
[Linked Image]
That was 4 shots and the jacket separated before it hit the paper..... I sent the rest of the bad bullets to Hornady for them to inspect... What pisses me off is I was getting ready to do some F-class shooting with my new rifle and that bullet. I hope I'll never see that from a bullet again. I don't think those pieces would have made it 600+ yards!!! grin

[Linked Image]

Oh well, I bought 700 140 ELD match bullets from a new lot. We'll see how they do... blush Time to start working up a good load for the new girls...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Yeah, ha ha.. I do need to start testing some "hunting" bullets in it though. My buddy has one (cabela's superlite) that shoots pretty good with the Hornady precision hunter ammo, using the 143gr ELDX.. I'm thinking about giving that bullet a try next... Target shooting is pretty much done with that rifle. I have 3 other 6.5 creedmoors that are better suited for punching paper... I know guys use the 147 ELD match bullets for hunting, but after having some issues with a bad lot of 140 ELD match bullets, I'll likely never use them on a game animal:
[Linked Image]
That was 4 shots and the jacket separated before it hit the paper..... I sent the rest of the bad bullets to Hornady for them to inspect... What pisses me off is I was getting ready to do some F-class shooting with my new rifle and that bullet. I hope I'll never see that from a bullet again. I don't think those pieces would have made it 600+ yards!!! grin

[Linked Image]

Oh well, I bought 700 140 ELD match bullets from a new lot. We'll see how they do... blush Time to start working up a good load for the new girls...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Guys using Sierra 90gr bthp the jackets were getting the jackets stripped off and never making it to the target. Sierra has since redesigned that bullet. I'm curious to see what hornady tells you..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Guys using Sierra 90gr bthp the jackets were getting the jackets stripped off and never making it to the target. Sierra has since redesigned that bullet. I'm curious to see what hornady tells you..

Yeah me too buddy. Kind of makes you think twice about using the ELDM as any kind of a hunting bullet. We know they werent designed for that, but you hear about guys using them.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear you brother! Not too start a chit storm never understood guys using match bullets for hunting.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What hornady has always told me... if I can get a price deal on them or buy in bulk, I use em for practice and non important matches.. The overall issues here and there with H bullets in tight groups just has been too iffy for me.

Sierra has generally been better, but still has had a few minor blips.

I never had luck with Nosler. YMMV.

In the end the longer stuff is really important to me, and I won't risk the above to that, either JLK or Berger and I'm sure Lapua though I"ve not shot a single Lapua bullet ever, the others did the trick for me. Enough Lapua brass though as needed.

But back to matches, if it matters why not use better bullets and not worry? Travel time, entry fees, practice time etc... BUT I shot local to me club matches with all H because we had a deal on bullets at one time.....

Even 300 rapid fire at times, 73 Berger rather than 77 SMK. Bergers were much snugger groups, but not as good in the wind, so carried a box. with both for whatever the day told me....

OTOH hand I've not had a single hunting failure from H/S/B/JLK/ match bullets. And I have had some serious reservations about major makers other cup and core bullets... results have been less than stellar OR repeatable enough times to just use Berger target bullets and Barnes for the most part these days. I do use some Berger hunting, but generally like the lesser destruction from the target versions.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I should add, my first sentence, What Hornady tells me, that means from what I've found from shooting a lot of Hornady bullets in matches, practice and testing. Not like I called them and asked Dave....

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I should add, my first sentence, What Hornady tells me, that means from what I've found from shooting a lot of Hornady bullets in matches, practice and testing. Not like I called them and asked Dave....

I know some probably see me having add with my load development. But after yesterday my development continues on. Those 88’s didn’t do as well as I hoped they would. So far sierras are doing the best for me. But I’m going to try out Berger’s I know where a bunch of 80.5 gr fullbore bullets are at. I also loaded up some 77 nosler RDF and will go shoot them tomorrow.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
its been some years since I shot bergers but IIRC some of them, 80 VLD IIRC, had some kind of weird duplex diameter at the ogive thing going on at one point, was having fits trying to find the rifling so I could be either engaged or off, as I believe that you either have to be at least 10 to 15 thous, engaged or off, that at times anywhere between there can vary the pressures from one shot to another that can make weird shots....

Anyway you are not ADD, you are learning. It goes with it. You take all you are learning now and makes loading easier later on, and allows more time for mental and dry fire. AND there is zero doubt in the cranium that you are right RE ammo.

Of course I'm sure a lot of what I type doesn't make sense at times.

and it will all be puzziefied wrong when twig gets back from the slope again. lmao

Finally, while what I type is what I found at the time, ANYTHIGN is subject to go either way....Time can make things worse or better.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
its been some years since I shot bergers but IIRC some of them, 80 VLD IIRC, had some kind of weird duplex diameter at the ogive thing going on at one point, was having fits trying to find the rifling so I could be either engaged or off, as I believe that you either have to be at least 10 to 15 thous, engaged or off, that at times anywhere between there can vary the pressures from one shot to another that can make weird shots....

Anyway you are not ADD, you are learning. It goes with it. You take all you are learning now and makes loading easier later on, and allows more time for mental and dry fire. AND there is zero doubt in the cranium that you are right RE ammo.

Of course I'm sure a lot of what I type doesn't make sense at times.

and it will all be puzziefied wrong when twig gets back from the slope again. lmao

Finally, while what I type is what I found at the time, ANYTHIGN is subject to go either way....Time can make things worse or better.

Most if not all will say well just stick with 77gr sierras. In the end It might come to that. But couple more bullets to try out. Sometime this summer I need to go shoot my hunting rifle lol and verify my zero.

Last edited by 79S; 06/22/19.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I did not have that experience, and I probably had some of the first lots put out to the public by Sierra. The problem with the 90gr SMK's were they hit pressure before they hit speed out of the 20" AR's. I didn't shoot a ton of them, but I did shoot them hard looking for velocity with multiple powders and out of two barrels (one was strain equipped). I did not have a single failure out of a full box of 500. I was well stocked with JLK's and those ran faster and definitely held wind better than any 80, so those were my preferred 90's.

What caliber were those guys shooting the 90's out of? It's kinda ironic...Jimmy was making his 90's with 6mm jackets because no one made a 22 cal jacket long enough for the 90gr VLD's. ...but Sandy P was shooting them and blowing them up regularly out of her 6 twist Krieger Match Rifle in those early days. We were chomping for Sierra to join the fray, because their jackets had a reputation for being tougher (than Hornady who had a reputation for poofs and cracker jacks in the match world - a flyer in every box...though I'm pretty sure they've fixed those problems). I never heard of Sierra 90's blowing up out of a 223... then again not many shot that bullet until the bigger AR cases started appearing.

Last edited by ChrisF; 06/23/19.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Sandy P... I still have her 6 twist barrel on a shelf down south. LOL. Never got around to putting it on an action to play with it. 6.5 Krieger tubes were a bit slow too IIRC, not much but some.

I would not be caught handicapped at 600 with a 77 smk out of the box... just me though.. would be at least an 80 JLK personally...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's damned good.

MM

I knew you were wanting to shoot more than a month ago, when you bumped the black rifle thread to the top.. You always have good chit to share...

Thanks.

Just harder & harder to find much quality time to spend a full day or 2 at the range these days.

Bought a new motorhome in April, & with that & motorcycle trips..........keeps me busy. Add to that, both my kids are making significant long distance moves this year including one graduating for med school in AL next month, so we'll drive the MH there and make a 10-12 day trip out of that.

And the other one, who's in the Navy, is getting transferred from San Diego to Virginia, with a 2 month advanced training session in between & a month long leave at home (now) as well.................but we did manage to get him 2 uppers & a lower built so far & hope to shoot both for preliminaries tomorrow, weather permitting; an 18"er & also a 14.7" er as well; same for me.

So we'll be taking a long trip to VA & the lower eastern seacoast as well in Sept.

We'll see how the weather holds up for tomorrow..................

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That's damned good.

MM

Thanks.

Just harder & harder to find much quality time to spend a full day or 2 at the range these days.

Bought a new motorhome in April, & with that & motorcycle trips..........keeps me busy. Add to that, both my kids are making significant long distance moves this year including one graduating for med school in AL next month, so we'll drive the MH there and make a 10-12 day trip out of that.

And the other one, who's in the Navy, is getting transferred from San Diego to Virginia, with a 2 month advanced training session in between & a month long leave at home (now) as well.................but we did manage to get him 2 uppers & a lower built so far & hope to shoot both for preliminaries tomorrow, weather permitting; an 18"er & also a 14.7" er as well; same for me.

So we'll be taking a long trip to VA & the lower eastern seacoast as well in Sept.

We'll see how the weather holds up for tomorrow..................

MM

Geez, it sounds like you are busy. That's good though. I went shooting late yesterday and thought I posted my results in the black rifle challenge, but see it's not there. Ha ha.. I was tired and will post results in the black rifle challenge. I am liking my new 6.5 creed... Seems like it has potential.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChrisF

I did not have that experience, and I probably had some of the first lots put out to the public by Sierra. The problem with the 90gr SMK's were they hit pressure before they hit speed out of the 20" AR's. I didn't shoot a ton of them, but I did shoot them hard looking for velocity with multiple powders and out of two barrels (one was strain equipped). I did not have a single failure out of a full box of 500. I was well stocked with JLK's and those ran faster and definitely held wind better than any 80, so those were my preferred 90's.

What caliber were those guys shooting the 90's out of? It's kinda ironic...Jimmy was making his 90's with 6mm jackets because no one made a 22 cal jacket long enough for the 90gr VLD's. ...but Sandy P was shooting them and blowing them up regularly out of her 6 twist Krieger Match Rifle in those early days. We were chomping for Sierra to join the fray, because their jackets had a reputation for being tougher (than Hornady who had a reputation for poofs and cracker jacks in the match world - a flyer in every box...though I'm pretty sure they've fixed those problems). I never heard of Sierra 90's blowing up out of a 223... then again not many shot that bullet until the bigger AR cases started appearing.

These were claiming getting them over 2600 FPS and that's when you start having jacket issues. Again all internet stories from f class shooters. I shot 90gr Sierra's and just like you could not get the speeds. I think my best was with h4895 and I was in the 2400 plus FPS. What do you and Konrad mainly use these days for bullets?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sandy P... I still have her 6 twist barrel on a shelf down south. LOL. Never got around to putting it on an action to play with it. 6.5 Krieger tubes were a bit slow too IIRC, not much but some.

I would not be caught handicapped at 600 with a 77 smk out of the box... just me though.. would be at least an 80 JLK personally...

The 80.5 are supposed to be the way to go for AR shooters looking to feed them from a magazine.

Page 32 of 46 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,361
Posts18,506,359
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.