Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 57 of 87 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 86 87
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ruptured?! Wow. OUCH!! Surgery?

One thing I discovered is that my feet are growing in my old age. My left foot has always been a half-size bigger and since most shoes and boots stop offering half-sizes beyond a 12, I was cramming that foot into too small a shoe for a few years there until I woke up and went with 13's. Point being, having the arch in any way cramped up by too small a shoe is an absolute recipe for a flare-up of the PF, from which I infer that being in too small a shoe was part of what caused it in the first place.

I found it to be a real bummer of an injury, far beyond what I'd imagined "plantar fasciitis" would be like prior to having it. You hear the term tossed around pretty casually. It's not a casual injury. At least for me it wasn't. I'm also just now finally getting past the bursitis it set off in my left hip from walking funny on it for months. I'd counsel taking it very seriously. Also get that tennis ball asap and make your eyes water, Mike. smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mtwarden
^ I didn't do anything yesterday; limping is less pronounced- have been icing and stretching which definitely help; we had a couple of tennis balls around the house, but sound like my wife recently tossed them- going to pick one up today

if it goes too long, I'll check into the shots

thanks smile

A lacrosse ball can work too

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I discovered about 7-8 years ago that indeed your feet get longer, was always a 9.5-10 depending on shoe, then just 10’s, now 10.5’s and sometimes 11

wife is going to grab a tennis ball (or lacrosse ball!) today

have been stretching it and seems to help

Last edited by mtwarden; 06/24/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Ruptured?! Wow. OUCH!! Surgery?

No surgery. Had to wear a boot for 3 months even while sleeping. Kept the "arch" in place so it would heal. Limited running or ballistic movement for the next 6 months. Arch support/insoles forever now. The bottom of that foot is "looser" than the other now.

Was dealing with the pf already, had to take some heavy duty antibiotics for a little ol sinus infection that turned into cellulitis.....and apparently the antibiotics may weaken some connective tissue....and I was training hard. It doesn't bother me now but if I had slowed down and focused on treating it I doubt it would have happened.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
can't hike or run so....

went to the gym instead

Cindy as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of

pull-ups 5
push ups 10
air squats 15

got 17, for a little while thought I might get 20, that faded quickly towards the end smile

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Oh Cindy I forgot about you! 17 is respectable, great job.

That is a very good WOD.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks- it is a good workout considering it's only a 20 minute investment; in the beginning I got ahead of the one round/minute, then I hit a round a minute, then it went longer than a minute/round and then it's gone! smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
All I did today was interval rowing.

500 meters 100%
1000 Meters 50%
500 meters 100%
2000 meters 50%
500 meters 100%
1500 meters 50%

The 50% is a guess probably more like 40% after finishing the 500 meter 100% until I get my heart rate down then 50%ish, but hard to gauge

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mountain bike today: 16.78 miles, 1695' gain.

Great scenery!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
foot is getting better, not ready to hit the trails yet though

sooooo to the gym again

deadlifts @ 70% 1RM 10/9/8/7/...../1
overhead press @ 70% 1RM 10/9/8/7/...../1
chin-ups 10/9/8/7/...../1

this is always a tough one, but my back was pretty well blasted from yesterday's pull-ups, chins crushed me today

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Out of curiosity...

How old are you guys? smile

I'm 63, and I see some of these workouts and think "Oh my goodness, yes. In my 20's, 30's or even 40's..."

But I have to admit that anymore, the thought of some of these workouts makes me want to go to the fridge, grab a beer and sit down for a while.

Regards, Guy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Guy, I'm 54.

And I agree. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Cascade
Out of curiosity...

How old are you guys? smile

I'm 63, and I see some of these workouts and think "Oh my goodness, yes. In my 20's, 30's or even 40's..."

But I have to admit that anymore, the thought of some of these workouts makes me want to go to the fridge, grab a beer and sit down for a while.

Regards, Guy

You can start out with easier movements, as you build strength and endurance you can progress to harder movements and to the RX's. But starting is the key.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
foot is getting better, not ready to hit the trails yet though

sooooo to the gym again

deadlifts @ 70% 1RM 10/9/8/7/...../1
overhead press @ 70% 1RM 10/9/8/7/...../1
chin-ups 10/9/8/7/...../1

this is always a tough one, but my back was pretty well blasted from yesterday's pull-ups, chins crushed me today

I took a day off today. But hiked 10 miles

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm 61, not young, but not over the hill smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm 61, not young, but not over the hill smile

You are moving! I bet you are in better shape than most half your age. Going off your WOD stat's

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Like I said, Mike is an inspiration, and I'm serious about that. If I'm remembering right he didn't even start running until about my age (54)... is that more or less correct?

My main workout buddy and I have a inside joke when we are huffing a big climb.... my wife and I as well in HC a few weeks ago.... "how many other 54 year olds are..." and the truth is, as a percentage, not many. The general state of the "herd" in America is pretty piss-poor. But I am also very aware that there's guys like Mike absolutely crushing it and, y'know what, it gives me hope for the future.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Gents!

Yup, was very late to the running game. It all started when we decided we do a voluntary fitness assessment roughy quarterly, for the Region Seven wardens when got together. We put together things like pushups in a minute, sit-ups in a minute, max pull-ups- all things I was already pretty good at. I knew we had to have an aerobic component as well, so we decided on a roughly 3 mile run and decided it would be most appropriate to do it on trails. Well I didn't want to look like an ass, so I forced myself to start running. When I started, I had to walk most of the 3 miles. Slowly more running than walking and eventually I was able to run the entire loop. Then something funny happened, when it was my run day- I actually began to look forward to it- I was 52 at the time! 3 miles became, 4, 4-5, etc. In roughly a year I got together with some guys and we did the Rim to Rim to Rim in the Grand Canyon; make no mistake I suffered, but I made it smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks Gents!

Yup, was very late to the running game. It all started when we decided we do a voluntary fitness assessment roughy quarterly, for the Region Seven wardens when got together. We put together things like pushups in a minute, sit-ups in a minute, max pull-ups- all things I was already pretty good at. I knew we had to have an aerobic component as well, so we decided on a roughly 3 mile run and decided it would be most appropriate to do it on trails. Well I didn't want to look like an ass, so I forced myself to start running. When I started, I had to walk most of the 3 miles. Slowly more running than walking and eventually I was able to run the entire loop. Then something funny happened, when it was my run day- I actually began to look forward to it- I was 52 at the time! 3 miles became, 4, 4-5, etc. In roughly a year I got together with some guys and we did the Rim to Rim to Rim in the Grand Canyon; make no mistake I suffered, but I made it smile

That is awesome mtwarden. Once you start it becomes addicting. I tell everyone with every excuse in the book all you have to do is start. Once you start you will see gains and that is when it becomes addicting.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Somehow despite careers in the Marines and in law enforcement, I managed to survive to 63, which pretty much surprised me. Wear and tear on the ol' legs has pretty well ruined my ability to run. I miss it. Running was the base of my conditioning for decades. Now though, I walk, hike, snowshoe, cross-country ski and bicycle. Love all of those alternatives to running, but I miss the simple runs of years gone by.

I hit the gym pretty regularly all winter. Cold here in central Washington, and the gym just makes sense then. I tend to lift a lot less in the summer, 'cause I'm busy outside, hiking and bicycling. Mostly on the bicycle anymore, it's kinder to my legs.

Also have some old injuries that haunt me still. Shoulder, neck, legs... Sheesh!

Regular morning routine is stretching, then pushups & crunches and some lifting with my 30# dumbbells. I alternate what lifting I do.

Then two or three days a week I'll ride. Anywhere from 12 - 70+ miles depending on time available. The mountain bike rides are usually much shorter, but quite demanding due to the steep terrain.

A friend grabbed this photo of me in the gym at 61. I haven't entirely lost muscle mass - in fact I'm too heavy for my age & height. I've shifted to using lighter weights, more reps. Changed my diet. Trying to reduce the mass/weight and get in better overall fitness:
[Linked Image]

My best hiking buddy died a month ago. I sure do miss him. Sorry, already mentioned that earlier. On my mind still.
[Linked Image]

Last winter on snowshoes. Just did that same route, and more, on the mountain bike last week. It's only a few miles from town:
[Linked Image]

The mountain bike is my summertime toy:
[Linked Image]

Varying my workout throughout the year helps avoid boredom with it. Cycling and hiking in the summer. Skiing and snowshoes in the winter. More lifting in the winter, less in the summer. Keeps me happy and relatively fit, but... Not as good as in years gone by.

Bear season opens Aug 1st. I won't be backpacking for bear, but I'll be doing some strenuous hiking here in the Cascades to reach a spot where I can glass for them. smile I think I'll be in reasonable condition for hunting season.

Regards, Guy

Page 57 of 87 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 86 87

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,682
Posts18,493,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.