Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 46 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 45 46
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Geez, it sounds like you are busy. That's good though. I went shooting late yesterday and thought I posted my results in the black rifle challenge, but see it's not there. Ha ha.. I was tired and will post results in the black rifle challenge. I am liking my new 6.5 creed... Seems like it has potential.

6.5's are great & I really need one.................although I've got everything around it; maybe in an AR-10 format.

Good thing for me that I have a very flexible work schedule & a lot of available vacation & travel time, in that I work mostly from home a do planned travel ahead of time. If I had to be in the office the plant every day, I'd be SOL. Just wish I could do more of what I really want to do instead of a lot of what I have to do...........but it should ease off after September.

You've done some really good work with your guns.........I'm envious !!

MM

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Guys using Sierra 90gr bthp the jackets were getting the jackets stripped off and never making it to the target. Sierra has since redesigned that bullet. I'm curious to see what hornady tells you..

I did not have that experience, and I probably had some of the first lots put out to the public by Sierra. The problem with the 90gr SMK's were they hit pressure before they hit speed out of the 20" AR's. I didn't shoot a ton of them, but I did shoot them hard looking for velocity with multiple powders and out of two barrels (one was strain equipped). I did not have a single failure out of a full box of 500. I was well stocked with JLK's and those ran faster and definitely held wind better than any 80, so those were my preferred 90's.

What caliber were those guys shooting the 90's out of? It's kinda ironic...Jimmy was making his 90's with 6mm jackets because no one made a 22 cal jacket long enough for the 90gr VLD's. ...but Sandy P was shooting them and blowing them up regularly out of her 6 twist Krieger Match Rifle in those early days. We were chomping for Sierra to join the fray, because their jackets had a reputation for being tougher (than Hornady who had a reputation for poofs and cracker jacks in the match world - a flyer in every box...though I'm pretty sure they've fixed those problems). I never heard of Sierra 90's blowing up out of a 223... then again not many shot that bullet until the bigger AR cases started appearing.

These were claiming getting them over 2600 FPS and that's when you start having jacket issues. Again all internet stories from f class shooters. I shot 90gr Sierra's and just like you could not get the speeds. I think my best was with h4895 and I was in the 2400 plus FPS. What do you and Konrad mainly use these days for bullets?

I'd be ticked with 2600 FPS. 90 JLK was like 2725 or 2730 appx IF my memory is right. N540 powder.

2400... no way, I think thats about what N550 let me get to or maybe 2500 possibly. You can't out shoot a good 80ish bullet with the 90s if the speed is that slow. And then there is BC issues.. even were big differences between Sierra and JLK 90s per my old memory.

Tough day on the water. But we caught a few fish at least.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff, I thought you got a barrel off of Ben Haney?

79S, these days I'm shooting 87 PRL's at mag length, and 80 LRB's for slow fire. If I'm shooting a 7 or 8 twist, then I'm shooting Sierra 80's (good old lots) across the course out of an LRP setup. I haven't asked Konrad what he's shooting these days, but I thought John said they were shooting 82 Bergers. Loads we are shooting are way down on the list of things to talk about when we get to talking.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Let me try.. Mahalo Chris!

I'm fairly sure it was a womans barrel. About 99% sure. But the other 1% could be old age and CRS...

All this new alphabet soup... going to have to google PRL and LRBs...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got the PRL’s from a guy named “Bubba” in Tennessee. Told me to Shoot ‘em and tell him what I thought. We ended up with a bunch. One of the better experiments to pass thru my hands. (Definitely better than the 100gr Wildcats).

Last edited by ChrisF; 06/24/19.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I had some things from TN once.. needle sharp. Hihg BC. didn't shoot many, think they were not cheap... and the ones I played with didn't shoot well for the bit I played with em.

Have not had google time yet. AND its HOT spell here. Hit 82 this afternoon. I sweated my T shirt through working on peeling a log.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had some things from TN once.. needle sharp. Hihg BC. didn't shoot many, think they were not cheap... and the ones I played with didn't shoot well for the bit I played with em.

I think I sent those to you. There were tricks to getting them to shoot, but most didn't want to put in the effort because they were a bit pricey. They were from Montana. I don't think I sent you any Bubba bullets from TN

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nope, no bubba bullets. Pretty sure I have a few of the needles left somewhere.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll send you some of Bubba's best. Bet you'll be the only one in Alaska with those! Shoot through the mag. Hold wind like 80 VLD's. Almost a shame to shoot them at 300 since they're supersonic beyond 1K out of a 20".

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Only thing I have here currently is a 7 twist Wilson. I think its 7. Maybe its 8.... its been a LONG time since I got that tube from John. 26 inches

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This past Wednesday I mounted a new Vortex RAZOR HD GEN II scope and Spuhr mount on my Accuracy International AW (middle rifle) and was able to zero the scope this afternoon (typo on target) and shoot a couple of 10-shot groups for this challenge. I shot at my home range shown below. Each group was shot in a little over 4 minutes with 2 minutes between groups. I would have shot quicker but mirage was an issue.

3/4 of the Accuracy International family. AWM .300 Win Mag (rear), AW .308 Win/6.5 CM (middle), AXMC 6.5x47mm Lapua (Front). AWM .338 Lapua Mag not shown.

[Linked Image]

On the bench this afternoon.

[Linked Image]

My home range.

[Linked Image]

10-shot groups X2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rifle: Accuracy International AW with 6.5 CM Bartlein barrel
Optic: Vortex RAZOR HD GEN II 4.5-27x56mm EBR-7C MRAD
Mount: Spuhr 20.6 moa
Suppressor: SilencerCo Omega 300
Bipod: ATLAS
Sling: Accuracy International

Ammunition: Hornady 140gr ELD Match

1st group: 0.612 moa
2nd group: 0.421 moa
Average: 0.517 moa

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice shooting.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Is that an app or software or what that calculates your group size??

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

Thanks, and yes, it's OnTarget Precision Calculator. You can get a free version if you Google it. I use the full version for work but the free version is more than good enough. You tell the program the size of the target e.g. I entered 5.900" for the vertical dimension of the outer grid since that's what my caliper says it is. You enter the bullet diameter, range to the target, select each bullet hole, point of aim, and the program calculates a bunch of useful information. I've compared OTPC results to groups measured with calipers many times and it's very accurate.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

you can also try this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ballisticx.ballisticxapp $7.99 at Google Play. Use it on your phone right at the range.

Proper prior practice prevents piss poor performance!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by MCMXI
This past Wednesday I mounted a new Vortex RAZOR HD GEN II scope and Spuhr mount on my Accuracy International AW (middle rifle) and was able to zero the scope this afternoon (typo on target) and shoot a couple of 10-shot groups for this challenge. I shot at my home range shown below. Each group was shot in a little over 4 minutes with 2 minutes between groups. I would have shot quicker but mirage was an issue.

3/4 of the Accuracy International family. AWM .300 Win Mag (rear), AW .308 Win/6.5 CM (middle), AXMC 6.5x47mm Lapua (Front). AWM .338 Lapua Mag not shown.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My home range.

[Linked Image]

10-shot groups X2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great shooting and great shooting rifle.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Post-Ban Bushmaster XM15-E2S with thousands of rounds down the 16.5" tube
Fixed Ace Skeleton Stock
Hogue Grip
JP Trigger
1x Bushnell Red Dot Scope

[Linked Image]

17 Rounds of Ball Ammo at 100 yards off bipod

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MCMXI

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My home range.

[Linked Image]

10-shot groups X2

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Excellent shooting. Thats how its done!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So, I took my Sako out yesterday. I put my 16x superchicken on it and shot the rifle a little bit. Used my loads from my Savage 12fv, Tikka superlite, and my new M&P 10 performance center 6.5 creedmoor. The Sako looks promising. I'm thinking it's going to like the stiffer charge like what the superlite likes:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Painted her a dark brown because the original green color wasn't cutting it for me. As soon as the rifle proves to me it's a shooter, I'll probably be putting a NF back on it...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Adding one more to the heap of sub moa shooters I have. Oddly enough, I've been doing a little shooting lately....
[Linked Image]
Its nice having the range all to myself sometimes grin^^^^^

Bought this one locally because it looked like a good performer. One of my buddies has been drooling over Sako rifles for a long time and he's been talking about trying out an A7. I had to get the jump on him and bought this one. Not a cheap rifle locally. I paid full retail for the damn thing. My first impressions on accuracy were ho hum. Kind of like my Tikka superlite 6.5 creedmoor. These rifles are factory rifles and they need a little work to make them great consistent shooting rifles. Anyone shooting a factory rifle and getting consistent sub moa, has truly found a gem and better hang on to it.

Rifle: Sako A7 6.5 Creedmoor long range, glass bedded and painted the stock brown with extra texture for grip. Rifle wears a SWFA SS 16x mil mil quad in Burris XTR low rings:
[Linked Image]
Crap cell pic^^^^^^^^^

Target downrange at 100 yards. My new CTR is in the pic, sorry:
[Linked Image]

Target pic:
[Linked Image]

Target pic with calipers for reference:
[Linked Image]

.846 moa avg.

I'm thinking my handloads (like what I used in the previous post) will perform a little better than these factory Hornady American gunner loads... Unfortunately I was all out of those loads, so could not shoot them lastnight... I've been doing a lot of shooting lately with these creedmoors. Have another heap of brass to prep now and get loaded up!!!!!

Now, on to a New CTR I bought yesterday. Had to buy it because a moderator at another site was selling it for a very reasonable deal cool. That rifle shows some promise, but needs a little tweaking to make it better:
[Linked Image]

I like projects, so I'll be tinkering with this one a little to get it down into the sub moa all day long category... Shouldn't take much, kinda like the Sako that I just entered... wink

BSA MAGA
Page 33 of 46 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1eyedmule, 1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,058
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.