Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That is a fine looking knife ! First time I have seen the elk pins, me likey.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by MOGC
Stunningly stupid of you...

Amazin that you was able ta post that while bein fisted by el [bleep].

See how easy that is?

Apparently, bein embarrassed bout a tiny dick leads ta bein sensitive bout knife steel.

Tell us more about the Rex 121 that you’re a fanboy about, but save the fisting stories for your daddy. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Gene has made knives for me that deviated from his standard catalog. He was happy to accommodate my need for a larger handle, and for a slightly different shape. I know him well enough to talk to him on the phone. His D2 has proven durable enough for my needs. The OP showed a beautiful knife, and is rightly proud of it. I don’t understand why things went to hell after that.

Sam......

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Beaver10

See how easy that is?

Apparently, bein embarrassed bout a tiny dick leads ta bein sensitive bout knife steel.

Tell us more about the Rex 121 that you’re a fanboy about, but save the fisting stories for your daddy. 😎

I don't think Fubarski is a fanboy of Rex 121, that was me that mentioned it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

See how easy that is?

I don't think Fubarski is a fanboy of Rex 121, that was me that mentioned it.

What’s to like? From reading - Primarily a slicing only steel. Chips, fractures easily if used away from slicing...Definitely not a gen-purpose blade...It will discolor fast due to carbon level making it look like schit in fast order.
Aside from edge longevity the steel integrity reads like you need to watch it like a newborn....

And you ain’t that guy who’s gonna babysit your gear by not using it...😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

What’s to like? From reading - Primarily a slicing only steel. Chips, fractures easily if used away from slicing...Definitely not a gen-purpose blade...It will discolor fast due to carbon level making it look like schit in fast order.
Aside from edge longevity the steel integrity reads like you need to watch it like a newborn....

And you ain’t that guy who’s gonna babysit your gear by not using it...😎

Well like any other steel and knife maker, there are some that know how to make it work better than others.

I say this loosely, Anyone can make a knife. Some can make really beautiful art masterpiece's, Some can make incredible working (made to be used), some make functional, and some well, make things that look like knives.

A few things that set makers apart in no particular order.

Heat Treat. Not just how to follow a recipe or send it out to be done, but understand all the dynamics.

Metallurgy. Not just knowing what is in the make-up of the steel, but how they effect each other and what to take into consideration for heat treat.

Gain structure and layout for the profile

Grinds and proper edge geometry.

I am old enough and have been around knives and knife makers long enough to remember the leaders and the followers. I remember when 440 was all the rage, ATS-34 was all the rage, S30V was all the rage, and so on and so on. I remember the guys that were hesitant to work with (add whichever steel you want), and the guys that were racking their brains and going through belts trying to get (add whatever steel you want here) to perform.

I have been involved in knifes, going to shows, collecting, using, talking to makers, etc. long before the internet, 24 hour Campfire, and social media. Not sure exactly what year it was but I ordered my first knife from Phil Wilson via a letter in the mail from overseas when I was in the Corps, so sometime between 1990 and 1995. I bought my first Randall in 1986 in person from the man himself. I spent many days in Phill Hartsfield's tiny little store listening to him talk about knife making, and the feedback from customers that's lives depended on them, I bought my first knife from him in 1990. I owned several May's and Ingram's before I was a member here on the Fire. From 1984 to 1990 I subscribed to every knife magazine out there and read them cover to cover. I continued to read them while I was in the Corps, my grandmother would send them to me every month. I have seen a lot, forgot A Lot!, bought a lot, sold a bunch, used some that should probably never been used, and Made money and lost money. I love knives and knife makers that are at the forefront of what we have settled for. I appreciate those that make a great working knife no matter what steel it is. Though I do not collect anymore I still admire and sometimes drool over the likes of Young, Lovestrand, Loveless, Randall, Centofante, Lake, Harvey, Elishewitz, Gaston, Holder, Zscherny, Pease, Moran, Bose, Onion, Scagle, Herron, and Pardue. Sorry if I forgot any others as I am sure I did.

I don't have to hide what steel I ask Ingram to make a knife for me out of. It isn't bragging something up. It is a choice in steel you decided to try plan and simple. I have tried a bunch of steel's I wouldn't ever pick again. It is no big deal. But some people on here are keyboard commando's, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else says they are just going to be a douche bag.

Personally nothing Winston, May, or Ingram makes really gets me that excited. They are great functioning working knives, but they aren't anything magical! I would include Dozier but I consider all of them above and beyond anything Dozier makes.

With that said I would rather lose a Havalon than any custom knife. I rather snap or chip a mass produced scalpel blade than a custom knife. I know how to take apart animals and have never had a problem doing it with even a cheap Schrade or Buck knife. I carry both the Havalon and Customs when hunting. The Havalon can do anything and everything the best of Custom's can do, minus one thing they have no emotional connection. Plain and simple it is a replaceable tool that works very well.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nice knife EGH.

Since no one has asked... what steel is it? (grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You collect blades as forms of artwork with an appreciation towards the craftsman...I get it.

I appreciate a nice blade that has form, function and strength by maintaining it’s edge. I’ve parted piles of meat with old school Gerbers and various types of pocket blades over the years....I’m not busting your balls over running a Havalon. I own one, too. It’s an easy toss in the pack extra that has been used on a few occasions.

To your point, the Hav’s are a cheap option with no heartburn if it breaks or get’s forgotten in a deep canyon. I wouldn’t be running a Lawndale Loveless original myself - some do and would. I respect a guy who isn’t timid about such things, if that was the purpose of his purchase. To use it.

I don’t get giddy about many things I use for hunting, blades included...I do want quality and pay for it on items that can make or break a hunt though.

As for the OP. He appears to be one who won’t brag on something he’s never used, thus pushing the idea there’s quality in an untried item he’s not familiar with...Some posters get flamed for speaking outta their ass about something they’ve never actually used themselves.

So, what’s the mystery? I could actually give a fûck one way or the other...It’ll be in his hands to determine not mine. If at some point in the future it becomes something, and he wants to share his and Ingram’s steel endeavor, if I see the post, it may or may not be interesting to me...

Until then, I will keep running the blades from Godogs57. 😎

“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You collect blades as forms of artwork with an appreciation towards the craftsman...I get it.

I appreciate a nice blade that has form, function and strength by maintaining it’s edge. I’ve parted piles of meat with old school Gerbers and various types of pocket blades over the years....I’m not busting your balls over running a Havalon. I own one, too. It’s an easy toss in the pack extra that has been used on a few occasions.

To your point, the Hav’s are a cheap option with no heartburn if it breaks or get’s forgotten in a deep canyon. I wouldn’t be running a Lawndale Loveless original myself - some do and would. I respect a guy who isn’t timid about such things, if that was the purpose of his purchase. To use it.

I don’t get giddy about many things I use for hunting, blades included...I do want quality and pay for it on items that can make or break a hunt though.

As for the OP. He appears to be one who won’t brag on something he’s never used, thus pushing the idea there’s quality in an untried item he’s not familiar with...Some posters get flamed for speaking outta their ass about something they’ve never actually used themselves.

So, what’s the mystery? I could actually give a fûck one way or the other...It’ll be in his hands to determine not mine. If at some point in the future it becomes something, and he wants to share his and Ingram’s steel endeavor, if I see the post, it may or may not be interesting to me...

You collect blades as forms of artwork with an appreciation towards the craftsman...I get it. NO!

Not true at all. I am a fan of a working knife that can be used and used hard. I am a fan of makers that are at the front of the pack testing and developing new steels. Nothing against those that sit on D2, S30V, 154. They are great steels when worked properly.

It isn't bragging. The knife is X amount OAL, Blade is X length of ABC Steel, scales are XYZ with awesome Elk pins. Nothing bragging about it. He chooses to be a Douche Bag.

I don't give a F_ck what the steel is. Like everyone else I was just interested in the knifes materials. It is a really nice knife. Honestly the RC would probably be more interesting than the steel.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

You collect blades as forms of artwork with an appreciation towards the craftsman...I get it. NO!

Not true at all. I am a fan of a working knife that can be used and used hard. I am a fan of makers that are at the front of the pack testing and developing new steels. Nothing against those that sit on D2, S30V, 154. They are great steels when worked properly.

It isn't bragging. The knife is X amount OAL, Blade is X length of ABC Steel, scales are XYZ with awesome Elk pins. Nothing bragging about it. He chooses to be a Douche Bag.

I don't give a F_ck what the steel is. Like everyone else I was just interested in the knifes materials. It is a really nice knife. Honestly the RC would probably be more interesting than the steel.

Curious do you have a favorite steel?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Havalon....😂😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Havalon....😂😎

[Linked Image]

It’s the new rage... I’m driving at the moment but I’ll be back...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I have a few I really like, I wouldn't say a favorite. Depends on the use of the knife to a large extent. As well as who made it.

S90V, S110V, S125V, M4, 10V

A2

N690, K390, K294

Believe it or not I still like ATS-34 too.

You can have the best steel and sh_t Heat Treat the knife is mediocre at best or just plain garbage. I am always leery of custom knives with RC ranges like 60-61, . It is fine in production knives, but in customs the maker should be testing and marking the reading.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by elkhuntinguide

Havalon....😂😎

[Linked Image]

Looks expensive...........

But I prefer the Ingram with elk pins!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Havalon....😂😎

[Linked Image]

And a girl could wear them as a nose stud if inclined. 😎

“Molon Labe”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sure makes a purty knife... he rolled me up one just a tad bigger and used different steel since I’m a bit hard on stuff... I’m thinkin this will work out just fine...

[Linked Image]

If you ever need that pos sharp! I will fix it for you. Hint.

Last edited by fredIII; 06/25/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Havalon....😂😎

[Linked Image]

And a girl could wear as a nose stud if inclined. 😎

People watching at PDX!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And we’re off....😎

[Linked Image]

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston

Havalon....😂😎

[Linked Image]

And a girl could wear as a nose stud if inclined. 😎

People watching at PDX!

I heard clit piercing is coming back in style, along with knee length bushes...Just what I overheard in Portland 😎

“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kingston

People watching at PDX!

I am sorry! Portland gives the Beautiful State of Oregon a bad rap!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.