Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a T3x Lite Stainless Laminate 6.5 Creedmoor that goes to wandering after 4 rounds. If I shoot 3rds and wait a bit, shoot 3 more, wait and shoot and it will shoot MOA, maybe a little over. If I try to shoot 5, swap mags and shoot 5 more it looks representative of your original groups. I am not going to shoot more than twice when hunting, and then only if I get 2 culls come to the feeder on the same hunt.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I do outside to outside, then subtract a caliber.

P

That undersizes the group slightly. The hole prints on the paper are rarely full caliber size.

BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mathman, I use the two holes that are the furthest distance apart and measure the outside of one to the inside of the other. Would this give accurate group measurement? Thanks.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by BMR
mathman, I use the two holes that are the furthest distance apart and measure the outside of one to the inside of the other. Would this give accurate group measurement? Thanks.

Close enough for practical purposes.

It can be problematic when it's one ragged hole though. grin

Last edited by mathman; 06/24/19.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jwall
Now Woodrow...... (ha)

Would you tell us or show a pic of the TARGET you decided to use ? Just Curious.

Jerry

shocked I didn't change it yet.

After reading and taking the advice that you need a target that will help you line out both the vertical and horizontal lines on the grid (and not just the center point), I noticed that the targets I was using actually had a thicker line for the center. I could actually see when my reticles were NOT on those grid lines. It satisfied what the other targets were doing. Since my printer stopped working and I wanted to go shooting, I stuck with what I had.

I do plan on trying other targets though.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman

P

That undersizes the group slightly. The hole prints on the paper are rarely full caliber size.

The way I measure groups undersizes them significantly, since I lie, mostly.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Saturday, with this thread in mind, I used this target

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10013.pdf

to shoot a couple of 5 round groups at the end of the day. The scope was a Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 with their version of a duplex reticle. I shot one group on 4x and one group on 3x, both at 100 yards. The sight picture was good even with the center dot obscured, I just laid the reticle lines evenly between the big blocks. I'll measure them tonight, but for now I'll say if you're using the right target then shooting well under moa with 4x isn't a problem.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

P

P

What are you talking about?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m only a 1.5 MOA shooter for 10 rd groups from sticks/bipods/prone over a backpack in field conditions anyways. Worse if I’m cold. My 6.5 Tikmoor shoots a lot better than I can. I’ve settled on caring more about my 1-shot groups being where they are supposed to be after I slam the rifle against the vehicle on the way in and out or after I dial up to where the tape on my turret says I should be hitting.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

P

P

What are you talking about?

I measure my groups, then assign whatever diameter I want.

That’s the lie part. And the groups never end in a 0, it makes the lie more believable.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WoodrowFCall

shocked I didn't change it yet.

After reading and taking the advice that you need a target that will help you line out both the vertical and horizontal lines on the grid (and not just the center point), I noticed that the targets I was using actually had a thicker line for the center. I could actually see when my reticles were NOT on those grid lines. It satisfied what the other targets were doing. Since my printer stopped working and I wanted to go shooting, I stuck with what I had.

I do plan on trying other targets though.

Thnx for your Xplanation.

If it works For You, that’s all that matters.

For myself—- I didn’t have confidence aiming in Large targets. Reticles subtend certain amounts of the target, depending.... On a large square or diamond I FEEL there is too much room for
the X to move around and I don’t know it.

It’s been way too long to remember from Whom or Where I got the idea of a
6 O’clock hold but I immediately recognized the advantage ** FOR ME.

With the circle on TOP of my Crosshair when the gun goes off —- I know if I’m
on, R, L, H, or L.

Like other things what works for one does NOT mean it works for all.

Thnx and Good Shooting

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Saturday, with this thread in mind, I used this target

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10013.pdf

to shoot a couple of 5 round groups at the end of the day. The scope was a Meopta Meopro 3-9x42 with their version of a duplex reticle. I shot one group on 4x and one group on 3x, both at 100 yards. The sight picture was good even with the center dot obscured, I just laid the reticle lines evenly between the big blocks. I'll measure them tonight, but for now I'll say if you're using the right target then shooting well under moa with 4x isn't a problem.

The 4x group was 5/8" and the 3x group was 13/16". With the targets overlaid the 4x group fit within the 3x group, so the composite is ten shots inside 13/16" using no more than 4x.

You'll be OK with "only 6x" as you saw when you tried the right ammo. grin

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
So it wasn't the scope or the rifle......hmmmm, imagine that! I'm not saying tikka's with SWFA scopes shoot I'm just saying they don't not shoot! Grin

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Trystan
So it wasn't the scope or the rifle......hmmmm, imagine that! I'm not saying tikka's with SWFA scopes shoot I'm just saying they don't not shoot! Grin

Trystan

Actually, it may very well have been the rifle. The only two things that changed were the action screws and me resting my hand on the scope to weigh down the rifle on the bags. I would have confirmed if I had more of the PH ammo. It also doesn't like some ammo.

I'm going to work up loads now and see what I get make that will consistently shoot. I guess then, I can try changing how the rifle is held.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Actually, it may very well have been the rifle. The only two things that changed were the action screws and me resting my hand on the scope to weigh down the rifle on the bags.

I think touching the rifle above the stock would have made all the difference - even if it didn't affect the way the barrel vibrated it would have affected the way it recoiled and recoil starts as soon as the bullet starts moving forward, and affects bullet departure point.

Seating position at the bench also affects point of impact - the more forward your torso is, the more effective weight behind the rifle and the more effect of the recoil movement. But I suppose accuracy should still be okay if the position is consistent, just point of impact will be slightly different compared with shooting off-hand.

Last edited by mauserand9mm; 06/26/19.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Actually, it may very well have been the rifle. The only two things that changed were the action screws and me resting my hand on the scope to weigh down the rifle on the bags.

I think touching the rifle above the stock would have made all the difference - even if it didn't affect the way the barrel vibrated it would have affected the way it recoiled and recoil starts as soon as the bullet starts moving forward, and affects bullet departure point.

Seating position at the bench also affects point of impact - the more forward your torso is, the more effective weight behind the rifle and the more effect of the recoil movement. But I suppose accuracy should still be okay if the position is consistent, just point of impact will be slightly different compared with shooting off-hand.

How about torque of the action screws?

I had at least a 1/4 turn on both.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not sure, but you could see how it shoots now with your hand on the scope, and if the same issue happens.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Mine shoots the 143 ELDX’s ok but really shines with a healthy dose of H4350 and 139 Scenars. Here’s 5 at 100, I know it’s not a 100 shot group but it shoots this good consistently!....grin

[Linked Image]

A little horizontal creeping on there. Watch the thumb pressure on that trigger hand. Another 95 shots and who knows! You kill stuff shooting like that?

Just kidding. Nice shooting there my friend.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just wanted to update, this rifle is teaching me how to shoot. Being honest with myself, I'm beginning to realize how accurate it is and easy I can lose focus. I'm not sure it cares what ammo I feed it. I'm not consistently shooting 10 rounds.... But I'll work on that.

Today, I used the left hand on the toe bag. It's a light rifle, but putting my hand on the scope doesn't seem to make a difference.

Also, cold to hot.... It doesn't care.

Attached Images
Tikka 2.jpg (93.75 KB, 61 downloads)
group 2.jpg (89.71 KB, 64 downloads)
group 1.jpg (92.28 KB, 61 downloads)

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like a story with a happy ending!

What began as a potential unicorn turned out to be just another typical tikka work horse~

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,179
Posts18,484,697
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.