Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 74 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 73 74
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Someday I should get me another AK. Found a whole bunch of mags other day left over from my contract OPFOR daze. Another may come in handy sometime. My old one was nice. An Armorygroup milled Bulgarian. Built in Houston. Old coworker has it now. Hammer forged bbl. It was a good’un!

I got an Arsenal SLR 100H Bulgarian type 3 milled.
It runs good.

What you got for mags???
Any Chinese flat backs???
Bulgarian circle 10,s???

Last edited by renegade50; 06/27/19.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Don't know how common it is and I have yet to read any mention of it here on this thread regarding other parts of the country but at least one local property reputed to be an ancient native American burial ground has a almost solid layer of mixed whole with lots of broken pieces of mussel shells just a foot or so beneath the surface. It's located up on top of a rock faced bluff bordering a deep river that flows into the Ohio River.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Renegade, I dunno? Ive never paid any attention. Just a hodgepodge of mags I’m sure.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you find a good site for arrowhead hunting, there is one rule.....keep it to yourself. I made the mistake as a kid of telling a local guy where I'd found the points I showed him. He got permission to hunt it, and cleaned it out.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JamesJr
If you find a good site for arrowhead hunting, there is one rule.....keep it to yourself. I made the mistake as a kid of telling a local guy where I'd found the points I showed him. He got permission to hunt it, and cleaned it out.

I remember camping as a scout and a friend found what I still remember as a killer Montell. He showed it to the scout leader and he took it away. Fd up but I still remember that. I was pissed

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I keep arrowhead spots a lot tighter secret than fishing holes. And there’s a lot more people who fish than arrowhead hunt.

Good news is that unless someone is digging and screening a site I don’t think they really get played out. We find stuff in well known spots that have been hunted since the 30’s, by lots of guys back in the 50’s and 60’s. Still stuff comes out after a plowing or big rain.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Over the last 3 or 4 years myself and slumlord have discovered alot of areas that look like nothing spots to your average high grader hitting the popular well known spots.

Doing probe walks out to probable terrian thinking what it looked like 1000,s of year ago.

huge bowls with high ground around it and valleys leading to it.
Water.... long long ago.

400 to 800 yard squares overlap it
Cover it fast looking for flakes , source material , points.
Confirm it as good or not.

We have found some pretty good spots .
And have only hit some of em once or twice.

Not being seen on em is the big thing.
This falls plowing will be good for us.
Dead of winter hunting also is good.
Productive right up to spring plowing and start again.
This year coming up is the good cycle between the 2 overall areas we hit.

Last edited by renegade50; 06/27/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

That's why we ain't ever took you with us. 😄

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord

That's why we ain't ever took you with us. 😄

We ought to one day man.
James ain't gonna hose us.
Take him to pitbull hill.
Bring him out to labrador hill

Just blindfold him till we get their and going back.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Could take him to Willy's place.

IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Renegade, I dunno? Ive never paid any attention. Just a hodgepodge of mags I’m sure.

Can ya take a pic of em laid out kinda orderly and post it

Might be interested in some of em if they are desirable ones
If ya possibly might wanna sell a few.
Bulgarian circle 10
Chinese flat backs
Yugo bho,s
Russian izzy or tula bakelite

Just asking man.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
Could take him to Willy's place.

Hahahaha!!!

Classic....

Everyone within a 40 mile radius knows the place.
James probably walked that ground many times also.

I still think putting a ad in the peddler or craigslist about arrowhead hunting w directions to willys would be awesome!!!!

Lmfao!!!
It would fugg him up bad

Drive out at night and put up signs for the day of the event
Hahahahaha!!!!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by renegade50

Can ya take a pic of em laid out kinda orderly and post it

Might be interested in some of em if they are desirable ones
If ya possibly might wanna sell a few.
Bulgarian circle 10
Chinese flat backs
Yugo bho,s
Russian izzy or tula bakelite

Just asking man.

Ok. They are in my shop. Will try to get a pick when I can. 😉

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Renegade,

Just sent you a PM.

Founder

WS

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by 673
I am puzzled about why we dont find points like you guys do down south, all I can figure is that the repetitive cycle of fires has broken up all the points. The other thing I was thinking is that early inhabitants were in much greater numbers down south than they were up here?
Pictographs are few here as well, you have many, thanks kaywoodie, interesting.

Most all artifacts tell a story of the people that made and used them. The Northern parts of the United States, specifically Montana, were inhabited more by the hunting and nomadic tribes rather than the resident tribes of the south. Artifacts around here are mostly small and utilitarian..

My mother and I collected hundreds of artifacts that were indicative of the local Indian tribes that frequented the area around Yellowstone Park. Most were obsidian, with some chirt and basalt. Most are arrowheads, knives and scrapers.

There was a proposal for a ski area near Hebgen Lake in the early 70’s and an EIS was done of that area where the ski resort was proposed. They heard about our collection and wanted to see it.

Our collection was sent to New Jersey back in the early 1970’s for forensic data to determine the age of the points. Obsidian can be dated by how far moisture penetrated the surface of the material. Other points were aged by the style of the point itself. The oldest point I found was dated about 8,000 years old, but it wasn’t obsidian.

I haven’t looked there for years now, but would assume there are still some artifacts that we didn’t find. I keep thinking I should go back and look for more...

Thanks for that, I do wonder the role fire plays in recovering artifacts intact, or at all, interesting.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by 673
I am puzzled about why we dont find points like you guys do down south, all I can figure is that the repetitive cycle of fires has broken up all the points. The other thing I was thinking is that early inhabitants were in much greater numbers down south than they were up here?
Pictographs are few here as well, you have many, thanks kaywoodie, interesting.

Most all artifacts tell a story of the people that made and used them. The Northern parts of the United States, specifically Montana, were inhabited more by the hunting and nomadic tribes rather than the resident tribes of the south. Artifacts around here are mostly small and utilitarian..

My mother and I collected hundreds of artifacts that were indicative of the local Indian tribes that frequented the area around Yellowstone Park. Most were obsidian, with some chirt and basalt. Most are arrowheads, knives and scrapers.

There was a proposal for a ski area near Hebgen Lake in the early 70’s and an EIS was done of that area where the ski resort was proposed. They heard about our collection and wanted to see it.

Our collection was sent to New Jersey back in the early 1970’s for forensic data to determine the age of the points. Obsidian can be dated by how far moisture penetrated the surface of the material. Other points were aged by the style of the point itself. The oldest point I found was dated about 8,000 years old, but it wasn’t obsidian.

I haven’t looked there for years now, but would assume there are still some artifacts that we didn’t find. I keep thinking I should go back and look for more...

Thanks for that, I do wonder the role fire plays in recovering artifacts intact, or at all, interesting.

I don’t think fire has much to do with the degradation of the artifact as much as how the tool was used and hundreds if not thousands of years being exposed to changes in the soil and freezing more so than fire. All our stuff was collected near water in an area unlikely to see much fire. Imperfect points are very common and I attribute that to use.

Arrows were shot from a bow which would certainly cause fractures and knives and other tools were used in a manner that would easily break them. Every artifact I found was always with the hope of it being complete, but more often than not, that wasn’t the case...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Took a kid out this morning. He's now hooked.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by huntsman22; 07/01/19.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Good for him!! And good for you, Don!!!!

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nice, Don!

Made that boy's day!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Taking a young person out looking for points is a great thing to do! I still remember finding points near the river with my parents when I was about 6 or 7. About 60 years later and I'm still hooked but mostly make my own.

You have to watch out for those young eyes though! They will see something way before an old set of eyes will pick up on it...

Harry
Page 32 of 74 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 73 74

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,721
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.