Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by BadboyMelvin
It's interesting to hear that so many people are mentioning the Nosler partition in the 8mm Rem mag and how successful they've been.
The reason l say that is because well known Australian gun writer, Nick Harvey used a 8mm Rem Mag in Africa a few years ago.
He loaded up the 200gn Nosler partition at 3000fps at the recommendation of his good friend Col. Charles Askins and in Nick's words, "it was an unmitigated disaster".
Apparently the point blew off completely and the remaining bullet then lacked penetration. He then had to use a 180 or 185gn (I can't remember which) solids that he had for back up for the rest of his trip. That's his words not mine as I have no experience with the big 8mm - although I am a fan.
Maybe he got a bad batch?
If anyones interested I can find the article and post it up...

« Apparently « just may be the clue. It doesn’t seem very positive.
I’ve been surprised at the number of guys who DIDN’T know/understand how
the partitions are DESIGNED !!

With all the advertising and promotions of N P since their introduction—- I don’t understand
any except novice handloaders NOT knowing HOW they work !!!

Jerry

I'm sure Nick Harvey knows exactly how they work - I'm just trying to remember what the article said as it's been many years since I've read it...

As I said I have no personal experience with the NP in the 8mm Rem Mag. And to be honest l can only remember reading one negative review on the NP in any caliber - and that's the one Nick wrote about in the Australian Sporting Shooter mag. And I can remember him citing lack of penetration as the problem...

l'll try and find the magazine and post up his comments.

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Yes, Noslers tend to open quickly and, at close range, the foward portion is usually lost altogether. I think they work best at the same velocities as any cup and core. The Swift A-frame improved on the design.
Another real good controlled expansion bullet (as long as you wanted a 180 grain 30 cal.) was the Norma Dual Core, as loaded in the 308 Norma Mag. It perfromed like Speer wanted their Grand Slam to perform.
On the 8mm Mag, I always thought it was a bit of an under-achiever, asloaded by the factory and I think they might have done just as well with the 338 necked down. GD

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by BadboyMelvin
It's interesting to hear that so many people are mentioning the Nosler partition in the 8mm Rem mag and how successful they've been.
The reason l say that is because well known Australian gun writer, Nick Harvey used a 8mm Rem Mag in Africa a few years ago.
He loaded up the 200gn Nosler partition at 3000fps at the recommendation of his good friend Col. Charles Askins and in Nick's words, "it was an unmitigated disaster".
Apparently the point blew off completely and the remaining bullet then lacked penetration. He then had to use a 180 or 185gn (I can't remember which) solids that he had for back up for the rest of his trip. That's his words not mine as I have no experience with the big 8mm - although I am a fan.
Maybe he got a bad batch?
If anyones interested I can find the article and post it up...

« Apparently « just may be the clue. It doesn’t seem very positive.
I’ve been surprised at the number of guys who DIDN’T know/understand how
the partitions are DESIGNED !!

With all the advertising and promotions of N P since their introduction—- I don’t understand
any except novice handloaders NOT knowing HOW they work !!!

Jerry

Nick Harvey’s problem as described was lack of penetration.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just finished reading Ken Waters Pets Loads write up for the Big 8. It was written 41 years ago. A problem that Waters encountered was with the powders available at the time did not seem "just right" for the unusual case capacity vs bore diameter of the 8mm Rem Mag. I am wondering if one of the newer powders might solve that problem??
It surprised me that that slower powders of the time were not optimal choices.
As none of the big dogs seem to be putting any new effort in load development for the Big 8, the problem gets a little more interesting. Is there another cartridge that might be a reasonable source for interpolation? Perhaps one of the new Nosler rounds?

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntz
The Rem,8MM mag gets a bad shake from a lot of writers who want to compare it to a 340 Weatherby or a 338 Win. Mag.The true comparison is to a 300 Weatherby Mag.Do the comparison and see how the 8 Mag shines.JMHO,Huntz

Huntz, Interesting to find that Ken Waters came to this very same conclusion.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Your answer for that "another cartridge" is the comparison you just made...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,638
Posts18,512,172
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.