Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not the ones used in gunsmithing, but for mechanical applications.

I have been using two different Proto brand ones for many years. One standard 1/2" drive and one 3/8" Drive model rated for aerospace applications. The 3/8" mostly for under the hood work. Both USA made.

I wanted to get another 1/2" for doing wheels only to supplement the Proto's. But did not want to spend a lot of money. I watched the video of the Harbor Freight "ICON" wrench vs Snap On. I was impressed, then checked them out further. I ended up buying one with a HF coupon.

So far, so good. The ICON line at HF is their "high end".

About the only thing I have bought from HF before are tarps, bungies and things like that.

I think the wrench is a good value for non precision work.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I have a Warren & Brown in the back shed that I use when needed.

Warren & Brown

[Linked Image]

Last edited by JSTUART; 06/30/19.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Take a look at the Snap On and Mac Tools 1/2 drive torque wrench, and then look at the Precision Instrument one and tell me they aren't all made by the same people. I have had the PI version for years, used it almost daily for years and it's still quite accurate. Much cheaper than the tool truck version.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ancient craftsman's.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Torque wrenches are only as good as the re-calibration schedule.( and the user) If they don’t get calibrated, you have no idea what torque is being applied. Mine get calibrated every six months along with my Fluke meters. Looking at the recal sheet, they do get out spec.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Torque wrenches are only as good as the re-calibration schedule.( and the user) If they don’t get calibrated, you have no idea what torque is being applied. Mine get calibrated every six months along with my Fluke meters. Looking at the recal sheet, they do get out spec.

Are you an occasional use DIY mechanic or a pro working high volume?

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I worked for 20 yrs. at the plant, here in Ga., that made Craftsman & most other US made "click" torque wrenches.
Snap On has their own facility & are the industry leader in accuracy & longevity. if you require a high degree of accuracy you should have the calibration checked, unless you have a Snap On.

As expected the plant was closed & moved to TX. then to China, during the Obama administration, but i digress.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

I am a professional but that is irrelevant. Your position appears to be the frequency of use is the go/no go gage of calibration. Unless the new torque wrench comes with a calibration certificate, you have no idea of the accuracy. A torque wrench can be out of cal due to rough handling before the first click. I would argue my snap-on torque wrenches have better out of the box accuracy than a harbor freight tool.

And whoever it is that made the comment about needing a cheap torque wrench for non precision work.... they need to say that out loud to themselves.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by gordie
I worked for 20 yrs. at the plant, here in Ga., that made Craftsman & most other US made "click" torque wrenches.
Snap On has their own facility & are the industry leader in accuracy & longevity. if you require a high degree of accuracy you should have the calibration checked, unless you have a Snap On.

As expected the plant was closed & moved to TX. then to China, during the Obama administration, but i digress.

Do you know if Snap on still makes their own? We had them at the last shop I worked at and other than the color of the handle it was indistinguishable from my Precision Instrument model. We had a Snap On gauge at the shop to check them on, and after years of hard use mine was out 5lb at 100ft/lb, and no more than 2-3 the rest of the range. It was mainly used for torquing wheels so that was adequate.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I am a professional but that is irrelevant. Your position appears to be the frequency of use is the go/no go gage of calibration. Unless the new torque wrench comes with a calibration certificate, you have no idea of the accuracy. A torque wrench can be out of cal due to rough handling before the first click. I would argue my snap-on torque wrenches have better out of the box accuracy than a harbor freight tool.

And whoever it is that made the comment about needing a cheap torque wrench for non precision work.... they need to say that out loud to themselves.

Agree except the 6 month cal requirement. Torque Wrench Cal is good for a year

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Agree except the 6 month cal requirement. Torque Wrench Cal is good for a year

Company policy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Buy once, cry once-- get the best you can afford.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I have to get 4 torque wrenches calibrated annually per the FAA. Mine have NEVER been off even a little bit. I run CDI (make Snap-on) Proto and some Taiwanese brand. If you don't drop them, use them for stuff they weren't intended for they don't seem to change.

I bought a big 1/2" drive Proto on Craigslist. It was probably 15 years old. Lady was selling her late husbands tools. He had been dead 5 years. It was spot on. She said he never calibrated it- no sticker on it either.

I have found that HF has some decent stuff when they target a specific brand or line and try to beat them. I have their Earthquake XT impact wrench and it is better than my $500 CP wrench.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my opinion, torque wrenches serve two purposes. One is to make sure a fastener is tightened to a certain spec depending on the size of the fastener and the application. The other is to make sure all the fasteners are tightened equally like in tightening lug nuts. Some applications are more critical than others.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Torque values have gone the way of the dinosaur, and have been for years. Most critical industrial applications use bolt stretch, in the case of stud and nuts, a dial indicator measuring the increased length of the stud. Capscrews, gr 5, gr7, gr8 use a snug fit to remove slack and then an additional 120 degrees of rotation. And so on. Automotive and non critical apps will prolly use the old torque wrench forever. I have one anecdote to share, when working on marine diesels some years ago, we had a schedule for calibrating our tools. The tool guru repeatedly told us to dump our high dollar dials and clickers and get the really old skool scale and pointer style. "They are nearly foolproof and survive the deliberate over torqueing, and the 15 foot drop test that Pan Am gives your tool kits."

Last edited by flintlocke; 06/30/19.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

All my torque wrenches came with calibration certificates. They were purchased new and are Proto. I am well aware that rough handling can knock a click type torque wrench out of cal. So they don't get roughly handled. They are not tossed, nor dropped. They are set down deliberately. They are dialed up when necessary, reset promptly after use, and stored in their original cases. In essence, they are treated as precision instruments and used correctly.

My position is, frequency of use is absolutely a factor in the required calibration frequency. It's physics. So is rough handling. A single drop can knock one out of spec. IF the torque wrench is properly handled and reset after use, it shouldn't need to be calibrated as often as one that is used in a high volume mechanic's shop. Not only are the spring and internal mechanism cycled a lot more in a professional shop, but the wrench is set down and handled more often in an environment where time is money. The likelihood of cumulative bumps go up, like a boxer's jab working an opponent. You work with high volume, and you've seen some of the calibrations wonder. I'm not surprised. Thanks for answering the question.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I have to get 4 torque wrenches calibrated annually per the FAA. Mine have NEVER been off even a little bit. I run CDI (make Snap-on) Proto and some Taiwanese brand. If you don't drop them, use them for stuff they weren't intended for they don't seem to change.

I am in the same boat as you. Annual Cal per FAA. I have never not had one of mine Snap-on and Crapsman not pass Cal.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

[/quote]

I am in the same boat as you. Annual Cal per FAA. I have never not had one of mine Snap-on and Crapsman not pass Cal.[/quote]

I have a TQFR100a that was sent back because it would not pass. I bought it used in the mid-nineties and used it bunches.

G
Gibby Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G
Have a buddy that works in a shop. He lets me know when the Proto van comes to check torque wrenches. Over the years probably 7 or 8 times I had them checked. They were always right on. But I do not use them every day and I treat them like any precision tool.

I did do some non scientific testing with the ICON using the Proto's. It was right on. But it is still new. Not bad for $85.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.