Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
M
mku140 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
So my wife has struggled with accurately and reliably shooting a pistol but has seemed to do exceptionally well with an ar. I would like to put one together for her to keep at the house. Im considering 5.556 or 300 blackout with 10.5 or 16" barrels. Thoughts on muzzle blast, over penetration, recoil, barrel lengths and caliber pros and cons etc.? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably not what you want to hear, but for in house SD there isn't a better platform than a shotgun loaded with mid size shot, say #4-#6. I like a pump, YMMV. If you can't whack a bad boy with 5 shots, well, I don't know what to say. Ladies and 20 bores go together like divorce and lawyers.

The ranges are very short in a house, walls are thin and the last thing you want to do is kill someone in an adjacent room accidentally.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Probably not what you want to hear, but for in house SD there isn't a better platform than a shotgun loaded with mid size shot, say #4-#6. I like a pump, YMMV. If you can't whack a bad boy with 5 shots, well, I don't know what to say. Ladies and 20 bores go together like divorce and lawyers.

The ranges are very short in a house, walls are thin and the last thing you want to do is kill someone in an adjacent room accidentally.

Great advise there!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 10.5" 300 BO with a can is the [bleep] nitz for this application.

SIG Romeo 5 on top, two mags, 200+ grain projectiles.

Done and done.

That's solved by discipline and fire control, not by ammo selection.

IMHO (because I've never faced a home invasion), the ability to place precise fire or to defeat body armor or accurately place fire on a target that is not armored (face, etc.) is most important.

Muscle memory is important, too. Mrs. Walter has a Sig 228, because that's her duty weapon and she runs it very well. I have an AR in 6.5 Grendel with a 12" barrel and a can because I've been running ARs for 40 years or so.

If she runs ARs well, stay on that platform and adapt.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter

If you don't have the can, be sure to keep the (electronic) earmuffs handy............................just sayin".

MM

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bird shot is for birds, i prefer 00 buck or slugs in a shotgun. Hornady makes a shell with a flitecontrol wad that is awesome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those work, too. Just not for everyone in the house.

The can works for all participants.

John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And, if she’s never fired indoors, find a place to do that and let her shoot with earmuffs on.

It’ll still be loud, but at least she’ll know what to expect.

You don’t want her stopping to check equipment when she should be shooting because it was so loud she thought there was a malfunction.

John Stark.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've only shot a 22 LR can indoors and it was still freaking loud. You guys ever shot indoors with a centerfire can? How was it?

Personally, I'm gonna grab whatever is closest and say "what?" For the rest of my life, it'd be better than that being the end of my life trying to grab a particular gun. (I have several stashed around the house but sadly still no shower gun)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Great advise there!

Yes, great advice.

FWIW, compared to a rifle, is easy on the ears indoors

Last edited by night_owl; 07/02/19.

abusus non tollit usum
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
IF your ammo selection can't penetrate a little drywall, how can you expect it to penetrate enough bad guy to stop the threat? Bird shot is for birds.

I like a shotgun, but an AR will be way easier to handle, less recoil for follow ups, has more rounds on tap, and there is a plethora of options to make it work. A can might be a good option, but it'll make it longer.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

If you don't have the can, be sure to keep the (electronic) earmuffs handy............................just sayin".

MM

This.

Over the brace is a good spot for it.

If you're worried about over penetration, load it with 60gr NPTs, or something similar.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/02/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Pistol caliber carbine ? I have been considering one myself . Have to make sure it is reliable , but that's with anything.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
#6 shot barely penetrates the chest cavity of pheasants. Heads, necks legs and wings, no problem, but if it is not penetrating chest cavities on a bird, I am skeptical on how it will perform on a human. Of course those birds are being shot at 20-40 yards. With turkey and #4 or 5 shot, you need a head shot for a kill.

At indoor close range, how far does bird shot disperse? is it really that hard to miss? If I am using a shotgun for home defense, it will be loaded with buck shot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scoony
#6 shot barely penetrates the chest cavity of pheasants.

Birdshot at 10-15' hits very hard.

abusus non tollit usum
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'm thinking a ball of #6 shot will go through 2 layers of gyp board in a new york second at across the room distance.
If I can find some drywall scraps in the neighborhood, I will test it as a 4th of July project.
After all isn't FREEDOM what the 4th is all about?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by LouisB
I'm thinking a ball of #6 shot will go through 2 layers of gyp board in a new york second at across the room distance.
If I can find some drywall scraps in the neighborhood, I will test it as a 4th of July project.
After all isn't FREEDOM what the 4th is all about?

I think this has been tried before:

Skip forward to the meat targets.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My recommendation as well.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Done and done.

IMHO (because I've never faced a home invasion), the ability to place precise fire or to defeat body armor or accurately place fire on a target that is not armored (face, etc.) is most important.

Muscle memory is important, too. Mrs. Walter has a Sig 228, because that's her duty weapon and she runs it very well. I have an AR in 6.5 Grendel with a 12" barrel and a can because I've been running ARs for 40 years or so.

The normal housewife isn't gong to be able to place precise fire on a target in a tense situation like this. She'll be luck to pick up the weapon with a can on it and hold it reasonably still enough to even hit a wall. A sawed off 20 gauge pump or semi auto is much better IMO.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DubThomas

Done and done.

The normal housewife isn't gong to be able to place precise fire on a target in a tense situation like this. She'll be luck to pick up the weapon with a can on it and hold it reasonably still enough to even hit a wall. A sawed off 20 gauge pump or semi auto is much better IMO.

Round for round, a shotgun with 00 buck is hard to beat, but there's a cost to the power..... recoil.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 27 invisible), 1,844 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,274
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.