Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Two weeks ago, a coon started eating my sweet corn, so I set out 2 live traps and 4 dogproof traps in and around the garden. It didn't stop the corn thief. I tried different baits, and again, nothing worked. I finally ran an extension cord to the garden, and put a radio down there, and that seemed to pretty much keep it away. But, I was still seeing tracks around close, so I knew the thief was still checking the corn out, and as most people know, a coon will ruin a sweet corn patch in short time.

Yesterday morning I finally got him in a trap down by the creek. I "relocated" the coon. [Linked Image].

Last edited by JamesJr; 07/04/19.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I need to get me some of those coon cuffs!

Good job!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Good job!

Barry, they work. I pretty much keep coon traps set out all year around the place here. I know that's technically breaking the law, but I've had a lot of problems with coons here, getting into the chickens, eating sweet corn, and destroying turkey nests. I have a lot of wooded land, and so do some of the neighbors, plus I have the creek running through my property, and it is a coon highway.

I bait them with dry cat food, and sometimes marshmellows.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Easiest way I have found to catch them is a havaheart coon sized trap with a marshmallow as bait. When I set it up I get one every night until they are gone. I had previous problems with them eating bird seed out of the feeders on the deck and then they tried to get into my boat which was in a boat lift alongside my dock probably because it smells like fish. Took out 6 of them in a week and now no more coon problem.
Edit...I'll add this make sure you put the trap on top of an old piece of plywood or a tarp because when they get in the trap they pee and crap all over.

Last edited by champlain_islander; 07/04/19.

living the good life every day
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Instead of the dry cat food use canned as it has a stronger aroma. When using marshmallows I add a few drops of liquid fish oil for the same reason. I added fish oil to some dry dog food in the live traps to deal with a family of skunks that recently moved under the shed. Canned cat food, marshmallow, and fish oil is a very strong attractant. It also attracts every other creature around so I limit my use to when I have a known threat.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Two weeks ago, a coon started eating my sweet corn, so I set out 2 live traps and 4 dogproof traps in and around the garden. It didn't stop the corn thief. I tried different baits, and again, nothing worked. I finally ran an extension cord to the garden, and put a radio down there, and that seemed to pretty much keep it away. But, I was still seeing tracks around close, so I knew the thief was still checking the corn out, and as most people know, a coon will ruin a sweet corn patch in short time.

Yesterday morning I finally got him in a trap down by the creek. I "relocated" the coon. [Linked Image].

TTF!!!!
It has that "Oh schitt" look on his face.
"Relocated" to a ditch somewhere I'm geussing.
Gotta be more of em.

Hahaha!!!

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
UPDATE...........we had a inch and a half of rain last night, and when I went out to the garden this morning, there were fresh coon tracks going into the corn, so the thief had a brother, or wife, or cousin. Apparently the electricity went off sometimes during the storm, because the radio had quit playing. The thing is, they are walking right past a live trap baited with canned cat food and marshmallows, as well as a dogproof trap. I guess the sweet corn is more of an attractant than anything else I'm using. One year I strung an electric fence wire about 6 inches off the ground, and that stopped them.

Did I forget to mention, that I hate a frigging coon.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope you "relocated" it permanently with lead poisoning.

Arcus Venator
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
But they are so cute grin Ranger Rick

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
We have them here with a vengeance. I've trapped 6 and shot three so far and they just keep coming. I have pictures of 10 or more around the deer feeder. They tear up just about anything including the live trap when they get caught. Some of them are pretty savvy to the trap. I've bated with corn, hot dogs, sardines and dog food. They'll eat anything and what they don't eat they'll tear up.

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Good job!

Barry, they work. I pretty much keep coon traps set out all year around the place here. I know that's technically breaking the law, but I've had a lot of problems with coons here, getting into the chickens, eating sweet corn, and destroying turkey nests. I have a lot of wooded land, and so do some of the neighbors, plus I have the creek running through my property, and it is a coon highway.

I bait them with dry cat food, and sometimes marshmellows.

How did it taste? smile wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rainshot
We have them here with a vengeance. I've trapped 6 and shot three so far and they just keep coming. I have pictures of 10 or more around the deer feeder. They tear up just about anything including the live trap when they get caught. Some of them are pretty savvy to the trap. I've bated with corn, hot dogs, sardines and dog food. They'll eat anything and what they don't eat they'll tear up.

My brother had a huge amount on his property when he first moved in(FL). Apparently they have all died from lead poisoning.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know a guy that uses Fly bait and Coke mixed together and the coons drop dead within ten feet of the pie tin.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
If it's "technically" illegal then "technically" you're a poacher. Plain and fuggin simple. Not that I might not do the same mind you but all the old hypocrites here seem to just hate poachers. Unless they're poaching the right critter for the right reason that is.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rainshot

Same here , my lease spot is right beside a creek that meanders through a swamp . Bought a Suppressor just for coons possums squirrels crows and kill many of each every year - squirrels killed 17 about 6 weeks ago . They never stop coming .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
If it's "technically" illegal then "technically" you're a poacher. Plain and fuggin simple. Not that I might not do the same mind you but all the old hypocrites here seem to just hate poachers. Unless they're poaching the right critter for the right reason that is.

In SD you can defend your property.

Arcus Venator
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I toss my dead coons in the road, usually right around a tight curve. If someone bothered to check, they'd think it was just a roadkill. I kill the hell out of coons around here. Got no use for them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Kinda funny seeing this thread....just looked out the window and it looks like the neighbor just caught #10 for the summer.

They attempt to get in the hummingbird feeders...he drives them 4 miles or so and let’s them go..ain’t the killin type.

Funny story, I was looking at his trap one day and noticed there was yellow paint across the top of the trap, I said “Ron why did you paint the top yellow” he responded, “well I put a yellow stripe down the coons back to see if they come back to the trap. One ain’t come back yet”,...l just laugh

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by Blackheart

In SD you can defend your property.
He ain't in South Dakota and admits that he's "technically" breaking the law. I guess it's ok for certain people to break certain laws under certain circumstances though ?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Chill out - coons are terrible pests, as are possums.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 56 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.