Home
Posted By: JamesJr Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Two weeks ago, a coon started eating my sweet corn, so I set out 2 live traps and 4 dogproof traps in and around the garden. It didn't stop the corn thief. I tried different baits, and again, nothing worked. I finally ran an extension cord to the garden, and put a radio down there, and that seemed to pretty much keep it away. But, I was still seeing tracks around close, so I knew the thief was still checking the corn out, and as most people know, a coon will ruin a sweet corn patch in short time.

Yesterday morning I finally got him in a trap down by the creek. I "relocated" the coon. [Linked Image].
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
I need to get me some of those coon cuffs!

Good job!
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Good job!

Barry, they work. I pretty much keep coon traps set out all year around the place here. I know that's technically breaking the law, but I've had a lot of problems with coons here, getting into the chickens, eating sweet corn, and destroying turkey nests. I have a lot of wooded land, and so do some of the neighbors, plus I have the creek running through my property, and it is a coon highway.

I bait them with dry cat food, and sometimes marshmellows.
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Easiest way I have found to catch them is a havaheart coon sized trap with a marshmallow as bait. When I set it up I get one every night until they are gone. I had previous problems with them eating bird seed out of the feeders on the deck and then they tried to get into my boat which was in a boat lift alongside my dock probably because it smells like fish. Took out 6 of them in a week and now no more coon problem.
Edit...I'll add this make sure you put the trap on top of an old piece of plywood or a tarp because when they get in the trap they pee and crap all over.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Instead of the dry cat food use canned as it has a stronger aroma. When using marshmallows I add a few drops of liquid fish oil for the same reason. I added fish oil to some dry dog food in the live traps to deal with a family of skunks that recently moved under the shed. Canned cat food, marshmallow, and fish oil is a very strong attractant. It also attracts every other creature around so I limit my use to when I have a known threat.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Two weeks ago, a coon started eating my sweet corn, so I set out 2 live traps and 4 dogproof traps in and around the garden. It didn't stop the corn thief. I tried different baits, and again, nothing worked. I finally ran an extension cord to the garden, and put a radio down there, and that seemed to pretty much keep it away. But, I was still seeing tracks around close, so I knew the thief was still checking the corn out, and as most people know, a coon will ruin a sweet corn patch in short time.

Yesterday morning I finally got him in a trap down by the creek. I "relocated" the coon. [Linked Image].

TTF!!!!
It has that "Oh schitt" look on his face.
"Relocated" to a ditch somewhere I'm geussing.
Gotta be more of em.

Hahaha!!!
UPDATE...........we had a inch and a half of rain last night, and when I went out to the garden this morning, there were fresh coon tracks going into the corn, so the thief had a brother, or wife, or cousin. Apparently the electricity went off sometimes during the storm, because the radio had quit playing. The thing is, they are walking right past a live trap baited with canned cat food and marshmallows, as well as a dogproof trap. I guess the sweet corn is more of an attractant than anything else I'm using. One year I strung an electric fence wire about 6 inches off the ground, and that stopped them.

Did I forget to mention, that I hate a frigging coon.
Posted By: CRS Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
I hope you "relocated" it permanently with lead poisoning.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
But they are so cute grin Ranger Rick
Posted By: rainshot Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
We have them here with a vengeance. I've trapped 6 and shot three so far and they just keep coming. I have pictures of 10 or more around the deer feeder. They tear up just about anything including the live trap when they get caught. Some of them are pretty savvy to the trap. I've bated with corn, hot dogs, sardines and dog food. They'll eat anything and what they don't eat they'll tear up.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

Good job!

Barry, they work. I pretty much keep coon traps set out all year around the place here. I know that's technically breaking the law, but I've had a lot of problems with coons here, getting into the chickens, eating sweet corn, and destroying turkey nests. I have a lot of wooded land, and so do some of the neighbors, plus I have the creek running through my property, and it is a coon highway.

I bait them with dry cat food, and sometimes marshmellows.

How did it taste? smile wink
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by rainshot
We have them here with a vengeance. I've trapped 6 and shot three so far and they just keep coming. I have pictures of 10 or more around the deer feeder. They tear up just about anything including the live trap when they get caught. Some of them are pretty savvy to the trap. I've bated with corn, hot dogs, sardines and dog food. They'll eat anything and what they don't eat they'll tear up.

My brother had a huge amount on his property when he first moved in(FL). Apparently they have all died from lead poisoning.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
I know a guy that uses Fly bait and Coke mixed together and the coons drop dead within ten feet of the pie tin.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
If it's "technically" illegal then "technically" you're a poacher. Plain and fuggin simple. Not that I might not do the same mind you but all the old hypocrites here seem to just hate poachers. Unless they're poaching the right critter for the right reason that is.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by rainshot

Same here , my lease spot is right beside a creek that meanders through a swamp . Bought a Suppressor just for coons possums squirrels crows and kill many of each every year - squirrels killed 17 about 6 weeks ago . They never stop coming .
Posted By: CRS Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by Blackheart
If it's "technically" illegal then "technically" you're a poacher. Plain and fuggin simple. Not that I might not do the same mind you but all the old hypocrites here seem to just hate poachers. Unless they're poaching the right critter for the right reason that is.

In SD you can defend your property.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
I toss my dead coons in the road, usually right around a tight curve. If someone bothered to check, they'd think it was just a roadkill. I kill the hell out of coons around here. Got no use for them.
Posted By: wagner Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Kinda funny seeing this thread....just looked out the window and it looks like the neighbor just caught #10 for the summer.

They attempt to get in the hummingbird feeders...he drives them 4 miles or so and let’s them go..ain’t the killin type.

Funny story, I was looking at his trap one day and noticed there was yellow paint across the top of the trap, I said “Ron why did you paint the top yellow” he responded, “well I put a yellow stripe down the coons back to see if they come back to the trap. One ain’t come back yet”,...l just laugh
Originally Posted by CRS

He ain't in South Dakota and admits that he's "technically" breaking the law. I guess it's ok for certain people to break certain laws under certain circumstances though ?
Posted By: bludog Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Chill out - coons are terrible pests, as are possums.
Originally Posted by bludog
The hypocricy here is so thick you can cut it with a knife.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
My hunting partner raises corn to sell at the local farmers market along with other produce. He finally resorted to electric fence netting to keep them out. It seems work although it's kind of expensive initially. It only has to be about knee high to stop them so it's easy to step over. They just unplug it when they're working in there.
Originally Posted by CRS

Same way In Kentucky. Blackheart is most likely someone who doesn't own any property, and likes to tell other people what to do with theirs.

If my defending my garden against non-game animals makes me a hypocrite in your eyes, so be it.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Were you always this miserable or do you take lessons?
Posted By: wagner Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by wagner
Kinda funny seeing this thread....just looked out the window and it looks like the neighbor just caught #10 for the summer.

They attempt to get in the hummingbird feeders...he drives them 4 miles or so and let’s them go..ain’t the killin type.

Funny story, I was looking at his trap one day and noticed there was yellow paint across the top of the trap, I said “Ron why did you paint the top yellow” he responded, “well I put a yellow stripe down the coons back to see if they come back to the trap. One ain’t come back yet”,...l just laugh

Update, a second glance showed that there is two in the same trap!
Posted By: IZH27 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
My wife’s paternal grandparents lived in Lake of the Ozarks years ago. Their neighbor got tired of his garbage cans being raided. He decided to put up an electric fence. He strung wire waist size to a coon around the back yard. Put a plug on it and plugged it right into the porch outlet. Obviously no farming experience there. Next morning there were three dead coons on the back yard, poached and prepared by a poacher. I believe that he solved his coon problem quickly.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
I got rabbits eating my garden. Damn things destroy a whole row of lettuce in a couple of days.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

Good job!

Traps Usa

Cheapest I’ve found. USA made. $112 / dz.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
jWe were working on the pivot on Tuesday, and by the time we were done, my dog had brought us three fresh baby coons.

I love that dog!

He doesn't seem to care for the big ones, or the big tom cats, for some reason, though...... wink

We always have some coons around, but you've got to keep them under control or you won't have any game birds at all. He got this litter out of a creek bottom, and when we cut the hay on both sides, all we found was two pheasant nests. Normally we have at least five or six. Draw your own conclusions.
Posted By: hanco Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
I catch them, shoot them, they are worse than rats!

Technically, most states allow for nuisance animals to be taken out year round.
I don't know of any state that makes it illegal to get rid of non game pest animals destroying personal property .

If coon/rat/tree-rat/hog/possum/crow is eating the corn i put out without my permission i can shoot them legally .
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

And happy Independence day to you too.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
UPDATE...........we had a inch and a half of rain last night, and when I went out to the garden this morning, there were fresh coon tracks going into the corn, so the thief had a brother, or wife, or cousin. Apparently the electricity went off sometimes during the storm, because the radio had quit playing. The thing is, they are walking right past a live trap baited with canned cat food and marshmallows, as well as a dogproof trap. I guess the sweet corn is more of an attractant than anything else I'm using. One year I strung an electric fence wire about 6 inches off the ground, and that stopped them.

LITTLE DEBBIE HONEY BUNS

Stop being a wabigoon and pretending youre not seeing this.

For the 11th fuggin time, coons raiding sweet corn are on a carb kick, they don't give a nod to sardines or catfood. They ain't craving protien.

Have to use something more powerful than the sweet corn.

Might need a hav-a-hart box trap to contain the sticky bun.

[Linked Image][url
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
where i live it's just above the coon zone. too many wolves, cats, and coyotes i guess. have only seen 1 coon here in 25 years.
but for skunks that move in under the garden shed i put a ipod player out there LOUD with it looped on one rap song that got on the player by mistake. drives them out in one night!
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Here in Tennessee, people who stick their noses into other people's business end up with a flat nose. I'll bet Blackheart's nose is about three inches wide and a half inch tall!
Jerry
Posted By: travelingman1 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by slumlord

LITTLE DEBBIE HONEY BUNS

For the 11th fuggin time, coons raiding sweet corn are on a carb kick, they don't give a nod to sardines or catfood. They ain't craving protien.

My 94 year old mother swears by honey buns as bait. Catches 2 or 3 a year trying to get into just a couple rows of corn in her garden.

[Linked Image][url
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

He’s a good boy, ain’t never been any trouble.
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Just getting his life together gat uh baby on the way , leave behind fie kidz .
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
They are persistent little thieves not easily deterred.
Originally Posted by CRS

He ain't in South Dakota and admits that he's "technically" breaking the law. I guess it's ok for certain people to break certain laws under certain circumstances though ?

All of us do, and you are lying if you say you don’t. Some laws are practical, others are forced upon the people againt their will, and just plain dumb.
In San Francisco now plastic straws are illegal, but they hand out plastic syringes my the thousands. Guess which one you saw more of down in the sand..before they outlawed straws?
So I can give two schitts about respecting idiotic laws, crafted by idiots with agendas, that doesn’t mean I condone theft does it?
For those who release, can you pull them along with that trap, into the back of a truck, then release at a new location, or do you have to handle an adult raccoon full of venance?
For those who release, can you pull them along with that trap, then release at a new location, or do you have to handle an adult raccoon full of venance?

I've had that out of a livetrap before... wink

Didn't last long though. I tranquilized him. whistle
Posted By: slumlord Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
For those who release, can you pull them along with that trap, then release at a new location, or do you have to handle an adult raccoon full of venance?

In Tn it's prohibited to relocate nuisance game animals. It's PERFECTLY OK to kill nuisance small game animals damaging property. No permit needed.

For big game problems like deer in a garden, our TWRA wardens desire that you contact them before proceeding. Almost always they will either give you verbal ok over the phone or issue a permit.

As for "releasing". I have a Hav-A-Hart brand live cage trap. Several actually.
One you just flip the whole cage over and the door opens by gravity. Anothe couple of traps I have you sort of have to get your fingers close to the mechanism. Those are never fun.
Especially with an amped up sow coon.

Easier to just give them the Pol Pot treatment thru the wire before even touching the trap.

Apparently Jamesjr's state does not and neither does NY. Deer have been far worse pests to me here than coons or anything else. If I just shot them any time because they're damaging/destroying my apple trees I'd be considered a poacher and prosecuted for it if caught, even though they've cost me a fortune in damaged/destroyed trees and fencing to keep them out.. The holier than thou hypocrites here would label me a poacher and outlaw for it without a doubt. You can get nuisance permits to kill them out of season here but only if you're a commercial farmer {which I'm not} and the process requires a visit/survey of the damage by a DEC game biologist and approval by same before a permit will be issued. Even then it isn't up to you how many can be killed. The biologist will determine if you have a legitimate problem, how many can be killed and will issue permits for that number.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
It's been mentioned several times already but raccoons hate radios and music. A neighbor had a 'coon litter born in her storage shed that was attached to the house. She didn't want 'em killed but wanted them gone. I had her put a radio out there and left it on, it was a talk radio station. Day or two later I saw the mama carrying the babies over to the nearby woods in broad daylight in the afternoon. About the time Rush Limbaugh was on that station. I guess raccoons don't like Rush, and they never came back.

Apparently Jamesjr's state does not and neither does NY. Deer have been far worse pests to me here than coons or anything else. If I just shot them any time because they're damaging/destroying my apple trees I'd be considered a poacher and prosecuted for it if caught, even though they've cost me a fortune in damaged/destroyed trees and fencing to keep them out.. The holier than thou hypocrites here would label me a poacher and outlaw for it without a doubt. You can get nuisance permits to kill them out of season here but only if you're a commercial farmer {which I'm not} and the process requires a visit/survey of the damage by a DEC game biologist and approval by same before a permit will be issued. Even then it isn't up to you how many can be killed. The biologist will determine if you have a legitimate problem, how many can be killed and will issue permits for that number.

It's obvious you know very little about Kentucky. We're not a Yankee Liberal state where animals have more rights than humans......and that includes some human animals too. I watch the North Woods Law game warden shows from New Hampshire and Maine, and I feel sorry for those people having to deal with the stupid laws.

This is the South, and we look at things differently down here, especially when it comes to animals harming your property. We can actually shoot them, regardless of the time of year.....which is exactly what I did to the corn thief, just about 20 seconds after I took the picture. If, by chance, I lived in a state that did not allow to me kill animals that were a nuisance, I'd still do it, only I'd practice the 3 S's....shoot, shovel, and shutup.

LITTLE DEBBIE HONEY BUNS

Might need a hav-a-hart box trap to contain the sticky bun.

[Linked Image][url

Haven't been ignoring your advice, just have been using what I have on hand, and what usually works for me. If it weren't for my dog and cat, I'd do the Coke-fly spray thing. I'll get some honey buns and try them. The biggest problem has been the constant rain the past few weeks, and how it keeps messing up the bait.

Hahaha!!!
Didin du nuffin....
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by renegade50

Hahaha!!!
Didin du nuffin....

Guess that's why they're called coons!
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
I had a lady watching me clean fish out in my shop the other day—she noticed my jab stick and asked what it was. I explained that the foreshots off my whiskey still is mostly acetone—or you could use women’s fingernail polish remover too. You fill up this little hypodermic needle on the end of it and you jab a skunk in a live trap right behind the front leg with it. She actually asked me what’s it do to ‘em. I told it tranquilizer them so good they wont spray and then they can be relocated out in the bush where they can spend their lives happy and contented. She looked at me real funny like—i told her the truth—it works on bears too.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

It's obvious you know very little about Kentucky. We're not a Yankee Liberal state where animals have more rights than humans......and that includes some human animals too. I watch the North Woods Law game warden shows from New Hampshire and Maine, and I feel sorry for those people having to deal with the stupid laws.

This is the South, and we look at things differently down here, especially when it comes to animals harming your property. We can actually shoot them, regardless of the time of year.....which is exactly what I did to the corn thief, just about 20 seconds after I took the picture. If, by chance, I lived in a state that did not allow to me kill animals that were a nuisance, I'd still do it, only I'd practice the 3 S's....shoot, shovel, and shutup.

\Not to defend Blackheart, but I'm a bit confused. (Because I live in Cali? blush )

James, if it's OK to deal with the racoon the way you did, then why in your original post did you mention it being "technically illegal" I think is the way you put it?

If one is allowed to euthanize animal pests then it's really not illegal. Unless perhaps your method of leaving traps out year round is not an approved method of dealing with those pests?

As I said, I'm confused a bit, either it's illegal or it's not.

Geno

See below taken directly from the Missouri Dept of Conservation website, which I would suspect, but do not know, is probably similar to most other states in "flyover country"::

After you trap a damage-causing animal, you must dispose of it properly. Although relocation may seem like a good idea, we do not recommend it. Moving an animal can spread disease. Also, a strange animal coming into an established local population of the same species (a strange, disoriented squirrel coming into an established community of squirrels, for example) can upset the local group’s social order and possibly its health. Further, a relocated animal does not know where to find food or other resources and may likely starve to death. Finally, moving the animal might simply create a problem for someone else at the new location. You should also know that most federal, state, and local agencies prohibit the release of wildlife on lands they own or manage (including Department properties). For these reasons, we recommend killing the animal.

Just following the rules, man. Just following the rules.

Yes, this one was "medievalized"

[Linked Image]

Geno
Originally Posted by Valsdad

\Not to defend Blackheart, but I'm a bit confused. (Because I live in Cali? blush )

James, if it's OK to deal with the racoon the way you did, then why in your original post did you mention it being "technically illegal" I think is the way you put it?

If one is allowed to euthanize animal pests then it's really not illegal. Unless perhaps your method of leaving traps out year round is not an approved method of dealing with those pests?

Geno

Okay, my original post says that "technically"........meaning that the law might frown on keeping a baited trap set out when it's not trapping season. Kentucky law states that as a landowner, I can remove a nuisance animal through trapping or shooting, however, I suppose that some game wardens might view it overkill to have half a dozen traps set out. Technically, I'm targeting just about any coon that comes close by, but I'm not really concerned about the technicalities of the law, I'm just concerned about keeping them out of my sweet corn.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

I "relocated" the coon.

LMAO.
You know coons are eating your corn, I'd doubt most conservation agents would bat an eye at what you're doing. At least not around here. Coons are crazy in this state. Some of our state parks campgrounds are getting over-run with the nasty critters.

Okay, my original post says that "technically"........meaning that the law might frown on keeping a baited trap set out when it's not trapping season. Kentucky law states that as a landowner, I can remove a nuisance animal through trapping or shooting, however, I suppose that some game wardens might view it overkill to have half a dozen traps set out. Technically, I'm targeting just about any coon that comes close by, but I'm not really concerned about the technicalities of the law, I'm just concerned about keeping them out of my sweet corn.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I'd certainly hope that in your rural area the wardens would be understanding types and not searching for "technicalities".

And technically (in my mind at least) , any raccoon seen around a corn patch is a "nuisance", right?

Geno
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

One you just flip the whole cage over and the door opens by gravity. Anothe couple of traps I have you sort of have to get your fingers close to the mechanism. Those are never fun.

Easier to just give them the Pol Pot treatment thru the wire before even touching the trap.

I use a Hav-A-Heart trap and a trash can full of water.

You'd be surprised how calm they are after a long swim.

This one tore a hole in the siding under my deck and took up residence in my crawl space.

I caught him with an MB 550 and calmed him down with a 22 short before releasing.

[Linked Image]
Always gonna be dudes waiting for a "gotcha type post" James.
They eagerly wait for the chance it seems. laugh laugh laugh
It is what happens when you balance a check book to the penny I geuss and worry if ya put enough tablespoons of metamucil in your glass a couple of hours ago and ain't took a dump yet.
Look at my I killed a snake and misidentifed it post a couple of weeks ago. laugh laugh laugh
Perfect example of gotcha type posting.

As far as Rocky raccoon the sweet corn raider goes.......
See clip below.
laugh

Posted By: cv540 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I use a Hav-A-Heart trap and a trash can full of water.

You'd be surprised how calm they are after a long swim.

This one tore a hole in the siding under my deck and took up residence in my crawl space.

I calmed him down with a 22 short before releasing.

[Linked Image]

Just me, but I dont want to drown anything, drowning seems like an awful way to go, even for a Coon. A .22 to the back of the head is humane. Unless I lived in an area where the discharge of a firearm is problematic I would rather spend the nickle for a .22 round and have it go fast.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
I use a live trap and then let them swim in my garden pond. As field grade said they are really calm after a ten minute swim. THEN relocate them. Be Well. Rusty
Posted By: las Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
The hypocrisy here is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

And your point is?????

SOMETIMES the law is an ass..... Any fool can blindly follow an injudicious rule.

It's illegal if one gets caught, and discretion in choosing not to follow a regulation is of utmost important. Both in choosing what is "stupid", and in implementing that decision.

Technically speaking..... smile

I remember an incident from several decades ago where a sea lion was 20 miles up an Alaska Peninsula river, wantonly killing dozens of salmon with repeated passes through a deep pool in the river.

Last I saw of that lion he was heading back out to sea. Returned along with the .338 WM ADFG had issued us on the fish counting site, were 18 rounds from a full box. I used one on a caribou for camp meat, legally and with permission from the biologist (we were damned sick and tired of pork chops every night for the last month - all he was bringing us). Must have lost the other round on one of the walkabouts.

When it was issued he assured us the open sighted rifle was sighted in at 100 yards. I took his word for it. Seemed to be.
Posted By: WTF Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Throwing a live trap into a pond with coon onboard for a few minutes is a no blood, no mess way to exterminate.
Well enough of coons and corn.....

Happy 4th of July everyone!!!
Posted By: rong Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
^^^^ man people are fuggin stupid..

O M G

I knew there were a lot of stupid people but ...............wow.
Posted By: okie Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

Didndu nuthin…..

Geno
Yeah, I'm confused too, since he said it was technically illegal. I guess good boy James just wouldn't break the law. Oh wait, he did say even if it were ilegal he'd still do it and practice the three S's. Guess it's just OK for some folks to break the law , at least if you're a Southern hypocrite. The old "what's good for the goose ain't neccesarily good for the gander".
Posted By: kennyd Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Smithsonian has story about Burmese pythons eating all small animals in Florida. Starting on deer now. Good at hiding
Had a big coon tear a harbor freight trap open. Took him 5 hours on security camera. I should have gone out when he went in instead of waiting til morning
I used to want a Davy Crockett hat but wife wont let me nail hides to the house
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

Do you pop the little kids balloons at birthday parties?
Posted By: keith_dunlap Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

and he's not likely to ever to be any trouble !
Posted By: mart Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
I held a nuisance wildlife control license in Washington State for 20 years prior to moving to Alaska. It allowed me, as a private operator, to take any nuisance furbearers, anytime of year. I worked with F&G but not for them. They issued the licenses after the state did away with the nuisance wildlife positions. I would be shocked if in any state, a game warden gave a rat's backside about homeowners/landowners killing nuisance furbearers. I worked closely with many of them and not a one of them wanted to be bothered with skunks, opossum or raccoons or any other nuisance wildlife for that matter. So regardless of the laws in your given state, I'll bet if you ask a game warden, they'll tell you to deal with the offending intruders yourself, and in a lot of cases may loan you a trap with which to do it.
It is what happens when you balance a check book to the penny I geuss and worry if ya put enough tablespoons of metamucil in your glass a couple of hours ago and ain't took a dump yet.
Look at my I killed a snake and misidentifed it post a couple of weeks ago. laugh laugh laugh

Hey ren,

Not you, not James......................

But sometimes some folks just need to get got!

Geno

Hey ren,

Geno
Any self righteous prick deserves it and there are plenty of those here. In fact, there are enough self righteous, racist, bigot pricks here that they give a black eye to the Republican/consevative cause with their constant racist/bigoted posts and aught to be ashamed of themselves.

Hey ren,

Geno

Geno, some of us don't come here looking for a reason to pick another poster apart. I think there are a few guys on here, who get all bent out of shape every day after they take their first thing in the morning whiz, having to use a pair or tweezers and a magnifying glass. It puts them in a bad mood the rest of the day.
Any self righteous prick deserves it and there are plenty of those here. In fact, there are enough self righteous, racist, bigot pricks here that they give a black eye to the Republican/consevative cause with their constant racist/bigoted posts and aught to be ashamed of themselves.

LOL.

You sound like you are talking about......

Yourself.

You give this forum a blackeye with the douchbaggery you resort to constantly in about every thread you stink up.

LOL.

Yourself.

You give this forum a blackeye with the douchbaggery you resort to constantly in about every thread you stink up.
The posts in this forum disgust me most of the time. You can't see it because you're a self righteous racist bigot and a Texan.

LOL.

Yourself.

I seem to remember ole Blackfart as being one of those "holier than thou" posters who doesn't like anyone to say anything negative about our Black brethren. I guess he didn't like me catching a coon, no pun intended.
You can't see it because you're a self righteous racist bigot and a Texan.

Well, one outta 4 ain't bad for a loudmouthed Yankee. smile

Go play with your buddy Karl. He's more to your likin'.
You can't see it because you're a self righteous racist bigot and a Texan.

Well, one outta 4 ain't bad for a loudmouthed Yankee. smile

Go play with your buddy Karl. He's more to your likin'.
All 4 right on the money. Boy.

LOL.

Yourself.

I seem to remember ole Blackfart as being one of those "holier than thou" posters who doesn't like anyone to say anything negative about our Black brethren. I guess he didn't like me catching a coon, no pun intended.
You sorry assed, self righteous racist pricks just can't help yourselves.
Why do you come here then?

Because of all your close friends you've made here?

Bwahahaha!

Bwahahaha!

I'm thinking he comes here to see what REAL people are like.

Bwahahaha!
Entertainment.
I'm glad I didn't tell the story about my great-grandpa set a trap for a 4 legged coon and instead caught a 2 legged coon. It would really have ruined ole Blackys day.

Bwahahaha!

I'm thinking he comes here to see what REAL people are like.
Hah, ain't no real people South of Pennsylvania dick head.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

Can I get an Amen?
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Do you pop the little kids balloons at birthday parties?

Nope, he's just got terminal sour-ass. I can't ever recall him with a positive thing to say, ever.
Posted By: victoro Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
"As for "releasing". I have a Hav-A-Hart brand live cage trap. Several actually."

I have one large Havahart trap for cats, coons, possums and a smaller one for squirrels. Last year I caught something in the big Havahart trap that was big enough to almost demolish it and escape.

I catch a lot of cats and usually just pour a bucket cold water on them and release them. They'll stay away for while and it doesn't hurt them, I caught a BIG yellow male feral cat (as big as some bobcats I've seen) and he growled at me when I walked up. I decided to "relocate" him and when I picked up the trap he trap he ran right out the door. I borrowed 2 big homemade live traps from a friend but I haven't seen the big feral cat since. I did I caught a huge boar coon in one of the homemade traps and figured he was probably the one that bent up the Havahart trap.

I quit using cat food or sardines because I caught mostly cats and started using marsh mellows instead. I just caught just catch coons and possums now
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19
Gummy bears and jelly beans work too!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

Somebody "poached" a raccoon that was getting into his garden?

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?
Originally Posted by smokepole

Somebody "poached" a raccoon that was getting into his garden?

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?
Almost as stupid as the dipshyts on here who think anybody trespassing on private land is "poachng" whether they've killed anything or not ? Killing anything out of season/illegally by definition IS POACHING, no matter what/ where it is or what it is doing. That's what poachig is dumbass. Killing/trapping animals illegally and/or out of season.
Almost as stupid as the dipshyts on here who think anybody trespassing on private land is "poachng" whether they've killed anything or not ? Killing anything out of season/illegally by definition IS POACHING, no matter what/ where it is or what it is doing. That's what poachig is dumbass. Killing/trapping animals illegally and/or out of season.

poaching
[ poh-ching ]

SEE MORE SYNONYMS FOR poaching ON THESAURUS.COM

noun

the illegal practice of trespassing on another's property to hunt or steal game without the landowner's permission.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/poaching

You don't have to kill anything if you are hunting and trespassing. It's called "Poaching". Even the dictionary says so.

Dumbass.

poaching
[ poh-ching ]

SEE MORE SYNONYMS FOR poaching ON THESAURUS.COM

noun

the illegal practice of trespassing on another's property to hunt or steal game without the landowner's permission.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/poaching

You don't have to kill anything if you are hunting and trespassing. It's called "Poaching". Even the dictionary says so.

Dumbass.
You cannot be cited for poaching here unless you've killed something illegally. Trespassing is just trespassing unless or until you've killed something. You get caught trespassing on posted private land here you will be ticketed for trespassing and that is all. The landowner DOES NOT OWN THE GAME on his property, the State does, so it would be impossible to steal game from a landowner. Hence the dictionary is wrong in it's definiton at least as it applies to the USA. Dumbass.
You cannot be cited for poaching here unless you've killed something illegally. Trespassing is just trespassing unless or until you've killed something. You get caught trespassing on posted privarte land here you will be ticketed for trespassing and that is all.

Once again, you assume to know all there is of laws and legalities in ALL states, right?

When you are hunting, be careful not to trespass, because trespassing while carrying a firearm is a serious criminal offense. In Florida, for example, it is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison. Moreover, if you shoot a bullet, shot, arrow or bolt onto someone's land, you have committed trespass in Florida.

https://legalbeagle.com/6671904-criminal-trespassing-laws.html

Most states hold criminal trespass and illegally taking game as separate offenses.

The more criminal activity you do, the more they stack on with charges.
You cannot be cited for poaching here unless you've killed something illegally. Trespassing is just trespassing unless or until you've killed something. You get caught trespassing on posted privarte land here you will be ticketed for trespassing and that is all.

Once again, you assume to know all there is of laws and legalities in ALL states, right?

When you are hunting, be careful not to trespass, because trespassing while carrying a firearm is a serious criminal offense. In Florida, for example, it is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison. Moreover, if you shoot a bullet, shot, arrow or bolt onto someone's land, you have committed trespass in Florida.

Most states hold criminal trespass and illegally taking game as separate offenses.

Reread my post above. Landowners DO NOT OWN THE GAME in this Country, hence it is impossible to steal from a landowner that which is not his. So, the dictionary definition is WRONG as applied to this Country. In this State trespassing is a ticketable violation only if the land is legally posted. If it is not legally posted, you can be told to leave by the landowner or authorities but not ticketed for it. If you are ticketed for trespassing on posted property it is a violation on the first offense and the fine is normally 75.00 plus court costs for the first offense. The fine goes up dramatically if you are cited for trespasing a second time. You will not be charged with poaching unless you have also taken game illegally while trespassing.
Reread my post above. Landowners DO NOT OWN THE GAME in this Country, hence it is impossible to steal from a landowner that which is not his. So, the dictionary definition is WRONG as applied to this Country. In this State trespassing is a ticketable violation only if the land is legally posted. If it is not legally posted, you can be told to leave by the landowner or authorities but not ticketed for it. If you are ticketed for trespassing on posted property it is a violation on the first offense and the fine is normally 75.00 plus court costs for the first offense. The fine goes up dramatically if you are cited for trespasing a second time. You will not be charged with poaching unless you have also taken game illegally while trespassing.

Once more... Different laws. Different states.

I know of at least a dozen ranches locally that DO own the game on them. Whitetails included.

Private property.

Like shooting another person's prize bull.

But please continue down your course of ignorance. It's very enlightening.

Once more... Different laws. Different states.

I know of at least a dozen ranches locally that DO own the game on them. Whitetails included.

Private property.

Like shooting another person's prize bull.

But please continue down your course of ignorance. It's very enlightening.
I'm no more ignorant than you ass hole. You know nothing more of our laws than I do of yours. The Texas version of everything is hilarious. Here it is illegal for a landowner to high fence his property confining the States whitetail deer unless he can remove all deer from the enclosure to the satisfaction of DEC's inspectors. We had a guy here who high fenced a large acreage and was forced to take the fence down because he could not/had not removed all the States whitetails from the property.
You're the one that keeps spouting NY law as if it were the law of the universe...

You outta get out of your mama's basement more often. You may find out that there are differing laws and customs outside your back door.
You're the one that keeps spouting NY law as if it were the law of the universe...

You outta get out of your mama's basement more often. You may find out that there are differing laws and customs outside your back door.
Never said there weren't different laws retard. Goddammit you're a dense MF'r.
Posted By: JackRyan Re: Caught A Thief - 07/04/19

Trespassing is stealing the use of something that is mine and something I traded portions of my life to OWN for my own use. Not yours.
My advice is know where you are and stay off.

Hahaha. Tff.

Come on, BH, quit actin lika dayom yankee, please. smile

Landowners DO NOT OWN THE GAME in this Country.

You cannot be cited for poaching here unless you've killed something illegally. Trespassing is just trespassing unless or until you've killed something.

Yeah, you'd never say anything like that. Right? whistle

I'm the dense one. Gotcha.

LOL
[quote][/quote]

Now you see what you started James???
Predicto meter says....

15 pages at least!!!

You can plainly see thats another coon that Diddin Do Nuffin.

Now you see what you started James???
Predicto meter says....

15 pages at least!!!

Nah, that dumbass will tire of having his ass handed to him before then.

Geno

Geno, you need to be getting out of Ca. Heres hoping you and Sal made it through the warning ok. God bless.

Hey ren,

Geno

I'm cool
James is cool

Just a indiscriminate shotgun blast post that's all.

Bwahahaha!
Entertainment.

Hot dayom, BH, did you vote for Zero also?
Davey made a hat out of a dinidu nuffin coon that was eating his sweet corn.
Probably ate the thing also after letting it soak and tenderize in a pond sunk with a rock and rope also?????
I don't know if he ever went to Hopkinsville though?????
I dont think they had any wardens back then either????

Posted By: JamesJr Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Probably ate the thing also after letting it soak and tenderize in a pond sunk with a rock and rope also?????

I baited those traps with a LITTLE DEBBIE'S HONEY BUN just a little while ago, and put new Little Friskies in the dogproof traps. Tried to find some Fish Oil at the local Mennonite grocery, but they didn't have it. If I'd had the palsy, or a bad bladder, they had plenty of herbal cures for what ails you, but no Fish Oil. I wanted to fix that coon a good last meal......even though I'm technically poaching them.

I'm going to "relocate" it also.

I tried drowning a coon one time, and although it wasn't messy, it was not pretty watching it drown. Unless something has really pizzed me off, I believe in putting any animal I kill to death as quickly and painfully as possible.......and that includes a sweet corn eating coon. A 22 LR in the head does the trick, even if there is a lot of blood. I have gave them a good smack in the head with something like a shovel, and that'll do it too.

Renegade, I'll shoot you a PM if I catch another one, and you can have it so you can made you a Davy Crockett hat.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Think you meant to say "painlessly" ...
Posted By: ihookem Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
I trapped 11 coons since winter . They are everywhere and they dont stop coming. They are so bad they there are very few rabbits to young turkeys. I had about 6 hens in my yard this morning and only one little one. I had a turkey nest in my back woods so I put up a cam and in a weeks the coons found the eggs. I dont even plant sweet corn or have strawberries anymore. it is useless. Even my Asparagus got nipped, however, that could have been a deer. I dont even want egg layers anymore cause the coons get in sometimes and kill them. I started trapping them hard 5 yrs ago and since then I have trapped 73 on my 4 acres in 5 yrs.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19

I baited those traps with a LITTLE DEBBIE'S HONEY BUN just a little while ago, and put new Little Friskies in the dogproof traps. Tried to find some Fish Oil at the local Mennonite grocery, but they didn't have it. If I'd had the palsy, or a bad bladder, they had plenty of herbal cures for what ails you, but no Fish Oil. I wanted to fix that coon a good last meal......even though I'm technically poaching them.

I tried drowning a coon one time, and although it wasn't messy, it was not pretty watching it drown. Unless something has really pizzed me off, I believe in putting any animal I kill to death as quickly and painfully as possible.......and that includes a sweet corn eating coon. A 22 LR in the head does the trick, even if there is a lot of blood. I have gave them a good smack in the head with something like a shovel, and that'll do it too.

Renegade, I'll shoot you a PM if I catch another one, and you can have it so you can made you a Davy Crockett hat.

Ahhhhhh
Thanks but no thanks on the coonskin cap thing.....
Hahaha!!!

But if ya do get one in a havaheart trap.
Hold on to it for awhile.
Feed it
Lull it into a false sense of security.
Let slumlord have a couple of days ta get back from his craptastic western vacation.
They went thru Portland today.
Seen 3 antifa types on Enduro motorcycles.
Hahaha!!!
Some story earlier today he texted me about some special lettuce his wife needed and bad coupon compatibility for 12 packs of sprite????

He can bring up his AR
I will bring up my AK.

And we can do a dual mag dump on the next sweet corn bandit.
Slumlord can show ya how to use his phone or mine.

You can vid us doing a Pol Pot on the masked miscreant.

Then we can post it here while eating lunch somewhere up in Hoptropolis.

When can even set up survey

Do you think it was a quick demise for rocky?
Do you think a 7.62 or 5.56 did him in 1st?
Which caliber do think did more damage overall?
Do you think other coons get the message?

Slumlord can reimburse ya and give ya a replacement havaheart trap.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
You want to make a hat see me.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19

Landowners DO NOT OWN THE GAME in this Country.

You cannot be cited for poaching here unless you've killed something illegally. Trespassing is just trespassing unless or until you've killed something.

Yeah, you'd never say anything like that. Right? whistle

I'm the dense one. Gotcha.

LOL
Yes you are the dense one you fuuckin ass hole. Nothing I've said is wrong. Landowners do not own the game in this Country. Texass doesn't have game. You clowns have farm animals. Too bad you're too goddam stupid to know the difference. But hey, wipe the corn off their lips before you snap the photo's and who'll know. Funny you think you handed me my ass but then you pitiful dumb Texass fuucks think you actually hunt too. Idiot MF's. You're some sad sack of shyt you are.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

The truth hurts.
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19

The truth hurts.

I don't know which of you has the worst case of vaginal irritation, you or Fireballz.
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

The truth hurts.

I don't know which of you has the worst case of vaginal irritation, you or Fireballz.
Blow it out your ass.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19

Geno, you need to be getting out of Ca. Heres hoping you and Sal made it through the warning ok. God bless.

No problem up here with the "warning". I'm about a three hour drive north of where the farthest folk were barely feeling it.

Sal might get some shakers, our biggest worry is wildfire and the big f'n volcano about 100 miles due west and the other one (that last erupted 100 years or so ago) about the same distance SW.

I've lived through so many earthquakes I actually "miss" them in a way. Those volcanoes scare the ever lovin' poop outa me though. You can take precautions from earthquakes, life can get messy and all, but not many people make it out of a volcano eruption and once your schiedt is buried under 18" of ash and cinders there's not much salvageable. Not a fan of being "Pompeid".

Now that the wife and I are poor retired folk, unless one of her tickets hits on the Power Ball or something, I'm afraid I'm stuck in out little corner of the old west.

Geno
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Bunch of peta wieners....

Ahhhhhh
Hahaha!!!

Feed it
Let slumlord have a couple of days ta get back from his craptastic western vacation.
Hahaha!!!
Some story earlier today he texted me about some special lettuce his wife needed and bad coupon compatibility for 12 packs of sprite????

He can bring up his AR
I will bring up my AK.

Haha, I was thinking about shipping the coons to New York, since some of the people up there seem to like them so well. He can make a pet out of it, and instead of walking his dog, he can walk his coon.

The truth hurts.

Yep, the truth does hurt.............you. You give the damn Yankees a bad name.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
I haven't read the thread, but I did look at the OP's pic...... How far did the coon drag that trap? Cross-tie and a 't' post to anchor a coon cuff. grin
Originally Posted by Oldman3
I haven't read the thread, but I did look at the OP's pic...... How far did the coon drag that trap? Cross-tie and a 't' post to anchor a coon cuff. grin

I wasn't going to take any chances, there are some big coons around these parts.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Coons love corn. A few years ago I decided to plant some silver queen in Dad's garden spot where he always made tons of it. Everything was going great, the corn was beautiful. Almost at the very moment some of it started to mature and it was time to start looking for ears with some dark silks, I went over one morning and it looked like a tornado had hit the patch. Coon tracks everywhere and they had pulled down most of the stalks eating or more correctly partially eating the ears. At first, they seemed to really prefer the big nice ears with no silk worm damage but as I recall, they eventually got all of it.

Dad never had trouble with them. I suspect development in the area forced them from more rural areas into the "suburbs". Most any solution is out....can't trap, can't shoot, can't have an electric fence. I just grow greens in the fall when I am motivated.

Best solution IMO is an electric fence. I have an Uncle who gardens out in the country and he finally broke down and got one because he could not grow much of anything because of deer. Now, wildlife is no longer an issue for him.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I know a guy that uses Fly bait and Coke mixed together and the coons drop dead within ten feet of the pie tin.

Scary crap.

Nothing goes far.
Grape is th e soda of choice here.
And no, I'm not joking. But I wonder if it started that way.
Illegal here. That makes one a no good poacher, with no coons.

I'll accept that.
I have done much worse, but not for years.
Didn't catch one last night. Slumlord's honey bun suggestion didn't pay off. I guess I'll have to go get some of his sweet corn.
Posted By: poboy Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Poor Blackheart. Bless his little black heart.

Ahhhhhh
Hahaha!!!

Feed it
Hahaha!!!

He can bring up his AR
I will bring up my AK.

Haha, I was thinking about shipping the coons to New York, since some of the people up there seem to like them so well. He can make a pet out of it, and instead of walking his dog, he can walk his coon.
I know all about coons you inbred, buck toothed, banjo playin, sister bangin, ignorant fuuck. I hunted and trapped them for decades. Kept one in a cage for training dogs for years.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19

Ahhhhhh
Hahaha!!!

Feed it
Hahaha!!!

He can bring up his AR
I will bring up my AK.

I know all about coons you inbred, buck toothed, banjo playin, sister bangin, ignorant fuuck. I hunted and trapped them for decades. Kept one in a cage for training dogs for years.

What kind of permit did you have to have to keep a wild animal year round in a cage to train dogs with? Thinking of getting one myself, but want to make sure eveything is by the law. Don't want to start a rucus.
I had a wildlife rehabilitators license. Never kept one year round. Only when I had a new pup to train. Would turn it loose when done and catch another next time I needed one.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
I had a wildlife rehabilitators license. Never kept one year round. Only when I had a new pup to train. Would turn it loose when done and catch another next time I needed one.

LOL, which is a violation of your wildlife rehabilitaor license. "The hypocrisy here is so thick you can cut it with a knife."

From the NY DEC website:

What This License Allows:

Providing care for injured or debilitated wildlife for release back to the wild, including most of the following:
-Mammals
-Reptiles & amphibians
-Unregulated bird species (i.e. pigeons, European starlings, house sparrows)
-Some regulated game birds (i.e. turkey, pheasant, grouse)
-Capturing, housing, feeding, and providing emergency treatment to injured wildlife.

I guess it's ok for certain people to break certain laws under certain circumstances though ?

LOL, which is a violation of your wildlife rehabilitaor license. "The hypocrisy here is so thick you can cut it with a knife, "LOL.
I am not the one who is always on here with a holier than thou attitude toward folks who poach or otherwise break the law. I said in my first post to this thread that i might do the same as Jamesjr if I was having a problem with coons. You're just such a dim witted, ignorant ass hole who can't wait to ankle bite at any perceived opportunity that you missed it. The rehabilitators license did in fact allow me to keep a coon for a period of time without worry.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Blackie, you crack me up. Do game wardens in NY actually write citations for things like a guy trapping coons that are ruining his garden? Is that the kind of thing you all consider "poaching" up there?

If so, I can see why you're always pissed off at the world. I would be too if I lived in a place like that.

And PS, trapping a coon for the purpose of training a dog is much more than "not entirely legit," it's a blatant mis-use of the license. The license doesn't allow you to trap healthy animals for your own purposes, it allows you to care for injured animals until they can be released.

I guess it's ok for certain people to break certain laws under certain circumstances though ?

Blackie, you crack me up. Do game wardens in NY actually write citations for things like a guy trapping coons that are ruining his garden? Is that the kind of thing you all consider "poaching" up there?

If so, I can see why you're always pissed off at the world. I would be too if I lived in a place like that.
Depends entirely on the game warden who catches you. But yes, if you are caught killing/trapping anything out of season for any reason without the proper permit you can be ticketed and it is poaching. Some wardens may overlook it but others won't.

And PS, trapping a coon for the purpose of training a dog is much more than "not entirely legit," it's a blatant mis-use of the license. The license doesn't allow you to trap healthy animals for your own purposes, it allows you to care for injured animals until they can be released.

Never said I trapped the coons. In fact, I was called by folks who wanted me to come pick up baby coons where the mother was missing or had been killed more than once.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19

Raccoons got to where they weren't much of a problem at all for a while back in the late '70s - early '80s when their pelts were averaging selling for upwards of $25 - $30 + (which would be around $75 - $100 in today's dollars). Most hardcore 'coon hunters with thousands of dollars invested in hounds didn't like it though as the 'coon density dropped so drastically that it got to where it wasn't worth the effort and time to try to hunt them.

Originally Posted by joken2

Raccoons got to where they weren't much of a problem at all for a while back in the late '70s - early '80s when their pelts were averaging selling for upwards of $25 - $30 + (which would be around $75 - $100 in today's dollars). Most hardcore 'coon hunters with thousands of dollars invested in hounds didn't like it though as the 'coon density dropped so drastically that it got to where it wasn't worth the effort and time to try to hunt them.

It wasn't just coons it was all furbearers. Pelt prices were high across the board back then. I remember getting 50.00 for jumbo coons, 40.00 for well furred grey fox, 60.00 for red fox and 9.00 for large river rats. Was common to run into other coon hunters out in the woods back then and everybody and their cousins was trapping or hunting for fur. Small game and birds flourished because of it and the rabbit/grouse/pheasant hunting was never better. Man, I miss those days.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Didn't catch one last night. Slumlord's honey bun suggestion didn't pay off. I guess I'll have to go get some of his sweet corn.

Patience Grasshopper
JFC........7 pages and 5 of em are Blackheart posts.

And all over a f**king Coon.

Blackheart.........put down the computer and go outside.

Since when did you get the idea you can tell me what to do old man ? Just so happens we are going to be leaving shortly though, so just relax before you give yourself a coronary.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19

Laughin!
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19

Since when did you get the idea you can tell me what to do old man ? Just so happens we are going to be leaving shortly though, so just relax before you give yourself a coronary.

This bleeder is getting awful irritable, must be the heavy flow this month.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Quick- - - - -maximum dose of Midol!
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by hillestadj

This bleeder is getting awful irritable, must be the heavy flow this month.

LMFAO !

Originally Posted by joken2

It wasn't just coons it was all furbearers. Pelt prices were high across the board back then. I remember getting 50.00 for jumbo coons, 40.00 for well furred grey fox, 60.00 for red fox and 9.00 for large river rats. Was common to run into other coon hunters out in the woods back then and everybody and their cousins was trapping or hunting for fur. Small game and birds flourished because of it and the rabbit/grouse/pheasant hunting was never better. Man, I miss those days.

Around here so many got into trapping back then for the big money that it got to where it was outright feud between fur trappers and hound 'coon hunters. The 'coon hunters would trip and often take any traps they found and destroy and/or toss them away, not only because the trappers were killing out all the raccoons but to keep from having their expensive hounds caught and possibly crippled in traps. Rabbit and bird dog hunters weren't fond of trappers for the same reason either.

It all started over who had the better sweet corn for Maggie.

Rocky or Dan???

Best tasting, tenderest venison I ever ate was from a year and a half old buck I killed that had been literally wearing out an elderly neighbor's sweet corn patch.

Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19

You better catch some, put yellow paint down their backs and turn em loose.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Blackheart take your pink frilly panties and go somewhere else. Don't go away mad, just go away. Don't get to thinking most people read your drivel. Most don't even toggle your message so they can see it. God Bless. Rustyzipper
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19

Jelly beans and gummy bears I tell ya!

Find some Haribo sugar free. But that’s ‘nother thread.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by ol_mike

O M G

I knew there were a lot of stupid people but ...............wow.

Betcha every one of them votes democRAT....
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Like an all you can eat buffet, you can get as much argument as your appetite can handle at the campfire.

On a more related topic. A particularly persistent coon came around the corner of the house from out back. It wanted the dry cat food on the porch for mom's cats. I chased it off and it ran out back behind the house. Minutes later, back around the front it came. Chased it off again. And back it came. Chased it off again. Filled a 5 gallon bucket with cold water. Opened front window just in time to dump it all on the coon as it ambled towards the porch. It ran off again. And back it came. Grabbed a 3' piece of steel pipe and whacked it good. It ran off, but back it came again. Repeated that a few more times. Didn't really want to kill it. The last time, instead of running out back, it went for a massive post oak in front. I whacked it across the back hard several times as it went up the tree. When it came back down, it went right back to the porch. So one last time, it ran up the tree again, out came the Marlin 39 and the coon was dispatched. Think about that. Getting whacked with a steel pipe multiple times and coming back for more. The electric fence sounds like the way to go to protect a vegetable garden.
I'm beginning to think that Blackfart is a coon.
Posted By: pdXammo Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
We have big nasty ones around here that would be easy to kill but, that little guy is kinda cute... You gotta do what you gotta do though, I've lost a whole chicken coop to the bastiges.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
We relocated for a while, then got suspicious that we were catching the same coon.

We painted it blaze orange and released it.

Caught it again in 10 days......he was 8 miles away when we dropped him off.

No more relocation after that.

Also, dog proof traps are not...NOT cat proof.

Marshmallows and grape jelly are a better bait.....and not attractive to cats. Unless your cat is from Tn.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
We relocated for a while, then got suspicious that we were catching the same coon.

Marshmallows and grape jelly are a better bait.....and not attractive to cats. Unless your cat is from Tn.

A man told me that a stray dog took up residence at his house years ago, and he put it in his truck one morning on the way to work and dropped it off about 12 miles from his house. It was back at his house when he got home that afternoon, according to him.

I have used marshmallows, but usually use dry cat food, because it's cheap and I have it on hand. I'm going to try fish oil, and some other things.
Cats love fish oil...........just sayin.

We have a bi pedal cat now.........
Bi pedal cat????
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
With a live trap I use a peanut butter and catfood sandwich. Under the trip shelf.

One piece of bread, swipe with peanut butter, and add catfood on top.

Might be kinda hard to get that peanut butter and catfood sandwich into a coon cuff though. wink
Posted By: las Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Quick- - - - -maximum dose of Midol!

Exlax? smile
Well, in my defense......that cat was responsible for losing her first leg.

I was sort of responsible for her losing her second leg.

Thankfully they are on opposite sides....she gets around okay yet.
Bi pedal cat????

Two legged.

Well, two footed actually.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Cherries may work - be sure to take pits out

Must be half blind.

A man told me that a stray dog took up residence at his house years ago, and he put it in his truck one morning on the way to work and dropped it off about 12 miles from his house. It was back at his house when he got home that afternoon, according to him.

I have used marshmallows, but usually use dry cat food, because it's cheap and I have it on hand. I'm going to try fish oil, and some other things.

The great bait debate!!!

Since coons love sweet corn... whistle

Why not use an ear or a bunch of kernals of said corn for bait. confused
Just tell the ear he is taking one for the team!!! crazy laugh

The truth hurts.

Yep, the truth does hurt.............you. You give the damn Yankees a bad name.
It doesn't matter. yankees, blacks, mexicans you inbred scum bags from Texas and all over the South hate em all. Well the feeling is mutual ass hole. You Texicans in particular are a sad bunch of losers.
With all the Coon trapping experts here I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Anise Oil.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
I used can sardines for coon bait back when I was trapping in HS.
With all the Coon trapping experts here I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Anise Oil.

Or the candy form... Licorice.

My grandad told me about that. Never tried it but a couple times.
Well, at least anise would not attract a cat.........
Well, at least anise would not attract a cat.........

Cats have gotten pretty thin around here as well...

Quail killin' SOB's.
Watermelons are a good coon bait, as well as fried chicken and chitlins. But, a White woman will catch every coon in the ghetto, as well as welfare check.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
Anyone try peanut butter for coons? I trap chipmunks because they ate 200 worth of wiring in my wife's car. Peanut butter works great for chipmunks. Got a young coon once. I used to throw the live trap in a bucket of water and it only took a few seconds for chipmunks to die. Now I just shoot them in the trap with a .177 pellet rifle.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Caught A Thief - 07/05/19
The Atlanta police department retired all their German Shepherd K-9's and trained a bunch of blue tick coon hounds to take their place- - - - -somebody finally figured out the Germans weren't the ones causing the problems!
Bi pedal cat????

Two legged.

Well, two footed actually.

Need Pictures!!!!
Hahaha!!!
Posted By: Dutch Re: Caught A Thief - 07/06/19

When I had the trout farm yet, the landlord was pretty soft hearted and relocated the caught coons to the res. They inevitably ended up back at the hatchery within a week.

I started relocating them by calling a hound hunter customer of mine that would trap them, pick them up and relocate them in front of his pack of hounds for training. Those never made it back. He called it "stretching them".
Posted By: KSMITH Re: Caught A Thief - 07/06/19

Hey ren,

Geno

Blackneart, have you ever sucked your own crank before? Be honest you crank sucker.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/06/19
Im just pissed no one has shown off a coonskin cap made of all the obviously 1000s of dead coon pelts this forum churnsout.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Caught A Thief - 07/06/19
Watermelons are a good coon bait, as well as fried chicken and chitlins. But, a White woman will catch every coon in the ghetto, as well as welfare check.

laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Caught A Thief - 07/06/19
Is he blind or drunk?
© 24hourcampfire