Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Where my friend and I woods walk is somewhere in Lolo National Forest. She has a phobia about bears. The likelihood of a bear contact or confrontation approaches zero, Nevertheless, extreme west-central Montana has a lot of bears (when compared with anywhere else in CONUS). I have two Freedom Arms Model 97s in 45 Colt for which I have 44 Magnum [equivalent] ammunition and have offered her the one of her choice for our woods walks. She owns an S&W 640-1 in 357 Magnum that she shoots quite well with 38 Special +P LSWC-HP "FBI" ammunition. She doesn't want to use a single action revolver, especially one that is significantly more powerful at both ends.

So I bought an older S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman 357 Magnum with 4-inch barrel. I want to acquire perhaps 150 rounds of 357 Magnum ammunition that will be reasonably prophylactic for that near-zero possibility of her becoming more intimate with a bear than she would prefer. I am considering 180- and 200-grain 357 Magnum ammunition. Cast bullet full power loads of factory 357 I anticipate will punch a .358-inch hole with through-and-through penetration. I have no experience with 180- and 200- grain jacketed bullets used in factory ammunition. I suspect one of them might include nose expansion while penetrating nearly as well as the cast bullet ammunition.

Anyone who has used a slightly expanding factory loaded 357 Magnum ammunition using bullets between 180 and 200 grains, please let me know. I strongly prefer replies from people who have used the ammunition on larger game animals or penetration testing of the ammunition. And please keep in mind that the 4-inch barrel will cost velocity.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know of any 200gr factory load for .357, but if there isn't one, there ought to be. I haven't killed any large animal with the .357, and I can't attest to the performance of any expanding 180g load. But I can tell you that the hard cast 180gr from Buffalo Bore from a 4" Security Six clocks a little south of the advertised 1400fps, and is pretty unpleasant to shoot.

The shooter who can make fast and accurate follow up shots with that load in a 4" medium frame revolver has my deepest respect. In a large frame, it might be more practical, but I don't have one around here to try.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got some 250 grain Hornady that I shoot in my Whelen ! 😇

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been disappointed in the penetration of the heavier jacketed bullets out of a 357. My 2 cents says that a hard cast 158-160 gr SWC bullet, is far more reliable. This style of bullet used to often be referred to a "keith style" as old Elmer used to preach this as gospel. I agree.
Trialed some heavier cast bullets and had trouble with accuracy and was not happy with velocities. I have never used any of the fully jacketed (military style) bullets for hunting, but I do like some of the copper washed cast bullets.
My experience has been with whitetails, 1 bear, and several Florida hogs. A 4" S&W mod 19 is my weapon of choice for hogs. Most of this shooting is close to very close range.
In reality, a good 44 Special load will provide performance that is superior to a 357, in every way.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still have a part box of 200 grain Alaska Backpacker .357 ammo left over from a trip up there several years ago. Good potent stuff. nearly 1000 fps from a 2 1/4" SP-101. I don't know if it's still being produced.

There are several makers producing full power 180 grain hardcast loads and that's what I'd equip her with, in your shoes.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. â“’
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I don't know of any 200gr factory load for .357, but if there isn't one, there ought to be. I haven't killed any large animal with the .357, and I can't attest to the performance of any expanding 180g load. But I can tell you that the hard cast 180gr from Buffalo Bore from a 4" Security Six clocks a little south of the advertised 1400fps, and is pretty unpleasant to shoot.

The shooter who can make fast and accurate follow up shots with that load in a 4" medium frame revolver has my deepest respect. In a large frame, it might be more practical, but I don't have one around here to try.

I have a a Combat Magnum S&W, wouldn’t want to shoot that kinda ammo in my gun, hard on the gun and the shooter.

170 Gold Dots do very well in my FA 97. I did have to get a taller front sight. FA folks were very helpful, knew exactly the height I needed. It would work well with hard cast 170’s or 180’s. Those are about as heavy as I would want in a .357.

For heavier, I’d go with a .45. My line bored, three screw SBH .45 Colt loves Penn Bullets 270 Thunderhead. Google them. A real thumper, big meplat.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BTW, I found that Buffalo Bore 180gr load to be very accurate.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have some of the Buffalo Bore 180 gn "Outdoorsman" ammo that I shot out of a Taurus 605 (Steel J-frame clone). I need to chronograph it, but it's rowdy for sure.

I read that a bow guide and his daughter guide both pack J-frames in .357 mag for bear country. The reasoning is that to stop a bear, you need a CNS hit in a gun that you can control, and it can penetrate. Heavy, hard cast .357 traveling at 1200-1400 fps aught to do that.

I think that's the right idea.

One thing I'll give you a heads up on is that N-frame .357s like the 28, have a shorter chamber length and may not chamber the long nosed heavies. Those guns were developed before the heavy for caliber rounds were.

K & L frames, plus Ruger GP and SPs have a longer chamber.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by FreeMe
BTW, I found that Buffalo Bore 180gr load to be very accurate.

I fired 5 of those from my 12oz S&W 360, I am "saving" the rest of them.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The problem with loading heavy bullets in your model 28 S&W is, most of them won't fit in the cylinder in a 357 magnum case. For many, many years I loaded the Keith 173 gr bullet in 38 special cases & 2400 powder in my model 28 for a quite powerful load. That's a load that she could handle, especially with a set of Pachmyr grips. She has to been able to hit what she's shooting at & I've killed deer with that load. If she has to use it on a bear it's going to be close.
Way too many people over gun themselves when picking a "bear" gun & load, you have to hit something to get it's attention. If you want some good Keith bullets PM me & I'll send you some. I'll also tell you a couple of other things you can do to help her shoot double action better.

Dick

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Waiting for BFR and Dufous to show up to tell you guys how stupid you are for not recommending a .500 something or other handgun for the lady. Because .357's will bounce off the bear (she may get an eye poked out from a rebounding bear bounced off bullet) and she needs to start with a big bore blaster and work her way down from there for best shooting results.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Who was it that took a 357 (8 inch) to Alaska and harvested big game with it? What load did he use?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Without a lot of range time using those heavy .357 loads, she, or anyone else, is going to have difficulty getting off a second aimed shot. Not saying it can be done, but doing takes a lot of practice.

Sam......

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Without a lot of range time using those heavy .357 loads, she, or anyone else, is going to have difficulty getting off a second aimed shot. Not saying it can be done, but doing takes a lot of practice.

For sure.

Phil Shoemaker, while guiding a fishing party, reportedly killed a big bear with his 9mm. IIRC, he used heavy for caliber, hard cast bullets.

But, Phil is an experienced guide, knows where to hit a bear, is a cool operator under pressure and obviously knows how to shoot.

You just don't find that combo in many individuals.

For the average gringo armed with a pistol, I'd give the advantage to the bear. I think odds makers in Vagus would probably back that..

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Phil also had the advantage of firing broadside into the bear, at close range, while it was harassing somebody else. Just offering this for a little perspective.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. â“’
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Buffalo Bore Heavy load is pretty sporty recoil-wise. If your friend doesn't like the thump of the 45 she isn't going to care for the BB 180 either.

On the rare occasion that I carry a 357 off pavement it's loaded with the 190 gr LBT style bullet from Hunter's Supply. I run them over 11 grains of 2400 and they average 1080 f/s from a 4" barrel. Recoil is manageable for follow-up shots and they do fit in the short cylinder of Smith 27 & 28's. I've never shot a critter with it, though I'm sure it'll do the deed on the black bears in these parts. The Buffalo Bore 9mm load mentioned earlier is a 147 at 1100, so it's in that same ballpark plus a bit.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Those of you who replied topically, thank you.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. George Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Naphtali
Those of you who replied topically, thank you.

I wasn't aware this thread was about ointment.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=35_417&products_id=3087

this hard cast water dropped with GC at 1300 fps or better should work. smile

Last edited by blammer; 07/06/19.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Why not just use the 38 Special Outdoors Man.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,042
Posts18,482,067
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.