Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just finished reading JB's article in the August Handloader on reloading dies. I have a 308 that is typically 1 1/2-2MOA and never seems to do any better. Haven't messed with it in a while but decided to start looking at my loads since the rifle has been tweaked every way I can think of.
Put a few loaded rounds on the RCBS Casemaster and they were running out .006-.008 Hmmm... Checked a few fired cases and they ran out .001-.002. Took the stem out of my RCBS neck sizer and sized a few cases and they ran out .006-.008 Huh??? Switched shell holders and tried a different press all with the same results. Can't believe a neck sizer can induce that much run out.
Ran a few through a Lyman collet die and they were .001-.002.
Guess this one is going back to RCBS and probably ask them to replace it with a full length die since the Lyman is now my go to neck die.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Curious to see how this ends up. If the loaded rounds come out straight and if so, how the rifle shoots with the "new" straight ammo.

Keep us posted.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Same thing happened to me. Just change the name to Redding. Lee collet die changed things for the better in a hurry.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went through this issue with my .308 Palma rifle recently setting up a FL bushing die. You don't state what brass is involved, but most .308s have very generous chamber neck diameters on the order of 0.344 inches. Your die is likely made to work with thin necked Winchester brass and is sizing down to 0.331 O.D. or less with the stem removed. That drastic downsizing in one step can easily create the runout you are seeing. As an experiment, try backing off the collet die a little, so that the RCBS neck die is only doing the final .003 amount of sizing. You may find the runout has disappeared. Even with my Lapua brass that I size to 0.336, I find that I have to size down in two steps to keep the runout low.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As an experiment I did shoot a 100 yard bench group with ammo having .004 to .006 runout that measured .63 inches at 100 for 5 shots with match iron sights. I prefer straight ammo though...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Just finished reading JB's article in the August Handloader on reloading dies. I have a 308 that is typically 1 1/2-2MOA and never seems to do any better. Haven't messed with it in a while but decided to start looking at my loads since the rifle has been tweaked every way I can think of.
Put a few loaded rounds on the RCBS Casemaster and they were running out .006-.008 Hmmm... Checked a few fired cases and they ran out .001-.002. Took the stem out of my RCBS neck sizer 1 and sized a few cases and they ran out .006-.008 Huh??? Switched shell holders and tried a different press all with the same results. Can't believe a neck sizer can induce that much run out.
Ran a few through a Lyman collet die 2 and they were .001-.002.
Guess this one is going back to RCBS and probably ask them to replace it with a full length die since the Lyman is now my go to neck die.

1. Conventional neck sizers are bad for runout more often than not.

2. I'm pretty sure you meant Lee collet die.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MikeS
I went through this issue with my .308 Palma rifle recently setting up a FL bushing die. You don't state what brass is involved, but most .308s have very generous chamber neck diameters on the order of 0.344 inches. Your die is likely made to work with thin necked Winchester brass and is sizing down to 0.331 O.D. or less with the stem removed. That drastic downsizing in one step can easily create the runout you are seeing. As an experiment, try backing off the collet die a little, so that the RCBS neck die is only doing the final .003 amount of sizing. You may find the runout has disappeared. Even with my Lapua brass that I size to 0.336, I find that I have to size down in two steps to keep the runout low.

Preach on Brother!

I load for a bunch of different 308's and that's why my Redding bushing die for 308 is mostly in retirement.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What mathman said.

Conventional neck-sizing dies often result in misaligned case necks due to one of the reasons mentioned in the article: They don't provide any support of the case body during sizing. The result is often misaligned necks, whether using the expander ball or not.

If you're going to use a conventional sizing die to neck-size, it's usually far better to use a full-length die backed out a little. They usually provide at least a little support for the case body, preventing the case from tilting as much when the neck's pulled back over the expander ball.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Get a TruAngle tool for straightening rounds. Works great. I use a Sinclair concentricity tool, correct with the TruTool. Takes some practice, but works well.

Agree that the Lee Collet neck sizer is about the cheapest way to load concentric ammo. Of course, you'll need a body die to set back the shoulder when the bolt gets hard to close. You can use a next size up FL die, i.e. .308 FL as a 7-08 body die, etc.

Or, you can grind out the neck on a FL die such that the case neck doesn't contact the die. If you get a Deluxe Lee die set, it'll have the collet neck sizer and a FL sizer. I'm not a fan of their FL dies, making one into a body die is its highest and best use, IMO. Cheaper than buying a Redding body die and it works about as well.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shipped it off to RCBS yesterday. Asked that it be replaced with a FL die.
When I got the Casemaster after reading Gun Gack, I checked reloads of several calibers (some necksized although I usually PFL size) and wondered what the big deal was. Everything was .002-.003 max run out, most were less. Couldn't believe how far out the 308's were. Every single case was .007, nothing less, nothing more.
Lee (not Lyman, good catch MM) collet die seems to be the answer.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm glad that my properly adjusted RCBS fl die set produces run-out of .003" and less TIR. No need to fu ck around with all the bs you guys do...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'm glad that my properly adjusted RCBS fl die set produces run-out of .003" and less TIR. No need to fu ck around with all the bs you guys do...

Well thanks for telling everyone how you properly set your dies to get less runout..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Me I start with a universal decapping die, then I take my sizing die run the stem all the way up until stops, then turn it one full turn down. Then resize my cases. This has eliminated run out for me. Mule deer talks about this occasionally and it’s covered in one of his books.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah but with the neck sizer I had it produced .007 run out with the stem removed. That's why I went to the collet die.

Jack O'Connor
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah but with the neck sizer I had it produced .007 run out with the stem removed. That's why I went to the collet die.

With that, that what bsa was trying to say/relay. A properly set up fl sizing die will eliminate run out for the most part. No need for a neck sizer or collet die.

Last edited by 79S; 07/14/19.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Properly setting things up is important, but it doesn't have magical powers. I can easily demonstrate with a FL die that sizes great and straight with one make of brass, but not so well with another. This is because of different thicknesses, both sets of brass having very uniform necks.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wonder if it was a 1970s era die? See the best die thread for JBs explanation.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I forget which gun writer suggested it long ago. If you loosen the decapping stem about a half a turn you will load way more concentric ammo. A friend had a 7x57 ackley that the decapping stem was so crooked a resized case wouldn’t chamber.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I should check my 7x57 die. This gets me thinking for sure.

Camp is where you make it.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 79S

With that, that what bsa was trying to say/relay. A properly set up fl sizing die will eliminate run out for the most part. No need for a neck sizer or collet die.

With very good quality, concentric brass, maybe...

To me the neck collet system is less neck thickness sensitive. You get optimal ammo without neck turning, etc.

BR shooters weigh cases, sort accordingly, check neck thickness, turn necks, etc...

I'm a hunter, not a BR shooter. I want the best ammo I can load without all that prep work. For me the neck collet/body die system seems to perform best in that setting.

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, Amos63, akrange, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,627
Posts18,492,935
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.