Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Ha That's a pretty good quote. I have always been one to start out loading on each end of the weight spectrum. Just for grins actually and the fact I love to handload. Not quantity, but reliable, accurate hunting loads. Love to kill something with my handloads as much as a crazed Fly Fisherman loves to use his own hand tied flies, ha. Very seldom have I ever just used "one load" once I started using a Rockchucker press and had access to dies. I would tell guys I worked with to buy the dies, at least a box of fired brass, and a pound of powder, what bullet style/weight and let me work up a load for them. I would then agree to load another couple boxes for them, with their scope zeroed and I'd keep the dies/leftover components as pay for my time/gas to the range, etc. I loaded for 30-30, 30-06, 308, 7mm Mags, 243s, one 7x57 and one .270. I had a ball, and learned a lot. I'd usually end up with a load just under book Max so they could use their brass a lot. since they all killed deer under 300yds ( usually under 100!) the one load concept kept them happy.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/08/19.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I normally use Sierra Pro-Hunters (flat-based) bullets on deer, never had an issue with them.

I have had the 130 Gamekings and 140gr. Hornady Boattails grenade on deer, though, and that has soured me on boattails for deer.

I have NO experience with the 130 Spire Points, but my cousin has killed a schittload of deer with it, and I've never heard a complaint out of him. I'd not worry too much about it. Deer are easy to kill. Even those deer which I hit with the "bad bullets" died quickly, but it was REALLY messy. Hornady has fooled with that 140 several times, moving the cannelure around like they were shuffling cards or something. I do NOT trust that bullet for anything bigger than coyotes.[/quote[quote=ratsmacker] I normally use Sierra Pro-Hunters (flat-based) bullets on deer, never had an issue with them.

I have had the 130 Gamekings and 140gr. Hornady Boattails grenade on deer, though, and that has soured me on boattails for deer.

I have NO experience with the 130 Spire Points, but my cousin has killed a schittload of deer with it, and I've never heard a complaint out of him. I'd not worry too much about it. Deer are easy to kill. Even those deer which I hit with the "bad bullets" died quickly, but it was REALLY messy. Hornady has fooled with that 140 several times, moving the cannelure around like they were shuffling cards or something. I do NOT trust that bullet for anything bigger than coyotes.

This happened to me using the Sierra Pro-Hunters, back 15-20 years or so. Dad wanted me to load him some ammo for his 270 Win. and I chose the 130 gr Pro Hunter. Worked up a load and it shot good. In a 2 week period, he shot 3 deer on a pipeline, but lost them in the really thick brush. No blood trail. He bought some Rem core-loc's and never had another problem, killed several more deer that year. I figured it was a fluke, but I never hunted with the bullets.

A year or so later, I was planning a trip to hunt red stag in Argentina (I never did get to go). Talking to an outfitter and asked about using a .270 Win with reloads. He said the rifle was fine, but not to use Sierra Pro-Hunter bullets. They had some bad experiences with that bullet in prior years and would not take a hunter that was using that bullet.

I figure there was a problem with a batch of bullets that QC missed and I just happened to get some of them, along with the hunters in Argentina. I've heard too many good things about the bullet from other hunters to think they are all bad. But, it has soured me on using them again.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
C
C
I have always had pass threws and good blood trails on the very few that have ran... most drop.. using the federal fusions out of my 270 win

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, BALLISTIK, BallisticBRYAN, 6mmCreedmoor, 7 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,408
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.