Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Phil also had the advantage of firing broadside into the bear, at close range, while it was harassing somebody else. Just offering this for a little perspective.

Can't think of anyone I'd rather have, keeping a big bear off my six...

DF

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Buffalo bore 180 hard cast load in my 357 mag outpenetrated my brothers 44 mag buffalo bore loads my other brothers 460 Rolland buffalo bore loads and my nephew in-laws 500 SW! Shooting into a hard piece of fir firewood

Pretty sure I am far from undergunned with that load concerning bear protection and yes the 357 mag rocks when it comes to penetration

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 07/06/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Where can one get equivalent 180 hard cast bullets to reload?

IIRC, Buffalo Bore offers loaded ammo, not components.

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Might check out Beartooth Bullets.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
When it comes to bears, .357 is a placebo. Pick something comfortable to shoot in the 158-160 grain range and be done with it. You will either need it or you won't. If you need it, it will either work or it won't.

Frankly, her being unwilling to carry a single action shows that having her way is more important and taken more seriously than the perceived problem or the perceived outcome. Ether that or you are coddling her foolishness which is foolishness of your own. Consider giving her good bear spray, you pack your single action, and *work as a team*. It's what I did with one of my friends who is afraid of guns. I taught her to go first and if something happened, drop to a knee low to my left out of the line of fire, prep the bear spray / use if in range and the need isn't going away, and above all else **do not touch me.**

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because only a single action is an effective bear gun?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by T_O_M
When it comes to bears, .357 is a placebo. Pick something comfortable to shoot in the 158-160 grain range and be done with it. You will either need it or you won't. If you need it, it will either work or it won't.

Frankly, her being unwilling to carry a single action shows that having her way is more important and taken more seriously than the perceived problem or the perceived outcome. Ether that or you are coddling her foolishness which is foolishness of your own. Consider giving her good bear spray, you pack your single action, and *work as a team*. It's what I did with one of my friends who is afraid of guns. I taught her to go first and if something happened, drop to a knee low to my left out of the line of fire, prep the bear spray / use if in range and the need isn't going away, and above all else **do not touch me.**

Tom

If she ever shot a .357 FA 97, she may change her mind. It's not a big gun, but the way it's set up, the grip design, excellent trigger, makes it easy to shoot. And 180 gr. bear loads aren't that intimidating with this one. It's built like a bank vault and accurate. Of course you'll need a higher front sight with heavy bullets. Tell the folks at FA what you're shooting and they'll let you know the right height. Swapping is easy, just need an Allen wrench.

DF

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Tom

In testing 357 mag ammo into blocks of firewood there is a huge difference in penetration depending on which bullet was uses. 180 Buffalo bore ammo penetrated as much as 16" while some ammo/158 gr hollow points penetrated 3"

Personally I would prefer a load that I know will reach the central nervous system with zero issues so that the it will either work or it won't leans heavy toward it definately will work if the operated does there part.

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, hard cast 180’s would be my choice.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This isn't really answer as much as it is an additional question for the original poster. Summing up some highlights of the original post:

I have two Freedom Arms Model 97s in 45 Colt ... and have offered her the one of her choice for our woods walks. She owns an S&W 640-1 in 357 Magnum that she shoots quite well with 38 Special +P LSWC-HP "FBI" ammunition. She doesn't want to use a single action revolver, especially one that is significantly more powerful at both ends.

So I bought an older S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman 357 Magnum with 4-inch barrel

I understand her not wanting one too much recoil, but since the original poster didn't address it, I'm wondering if it doesn't come down her to not wanting to pack the extra weight of a bigger, heavier gun? Or maybe the grip size of the others just doesn't fit her hand as well as her current 640-1? (You didn't address her reaction to the model 28.) A quick perusal of the 'net shows a pretty significant weight "penalty" (for packing as opposed to shooting) over the J-frame 640 at 22 oz, with the K-frame 4" 28 at 41 oz, and the Freedom Arms at somewhere around 36 oz- depending on barrel length.

Last edited by bhemry; 07/07/19.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

DF

I buy Cast Performance 180s.

I shoot book max with H110 out of my 4" 586 and they are a pussycat. Accurate, and waaaaaay less muzzle blast and discomfort than either 125s or 158s.

Shot one cylinder out of my wife's mod 60. Don't plan on a second. smile

MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Not a bear (or anything else!) expert but why not an 8 shot 627 or Taurus 608? Same weight as your 28 and two more shots. Far as 180 .357's I used .38 special cases and I don't think Mr.bear would want more than two shots.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The buffalo bore .180 .357 outdoorsman is a potent round. I didn't find recoil objectionable in my 2 3/4" M66-8 (not even close to Mag Level loads in a 4 1/4" M97) -- from which they clocked 1,320 fps on my labradar (1,894 fps from 16" Rossi Carbine)

DF

As mentioned above, both Beartooth and Cast Performance offer the 180gr LBT type for the .357. In the past Beartooth deliver times leave a lot to be desired. Here are some more sources:

RimRock says they are the supplier for BB 180gr load

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/g-ch-38-357-180-gr-lbt-wfn-per-100-in-plastic-ammo-box.html

Montana Bullet Works is always a good source for quality cast bullets

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/shop/?filter_caliber=357

If you want some that a bit more economical try these (either traditional lubed or coated)

https://missouribullet.com/results.php?pageNum_rsCWResults=1&category=5&secondary=10

Paul

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good info.

Thanks

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bhemry
This isn't really answer as much as it is an additional question for the original poster. Summing up some highlights of the original post:

I have two Freedom Arms Model 97s in 45 Colt ... and have offered her the one of her choice for our woods walks. She owns an S&W 640-1 in 357 Magnum that she shoots quite well with 38 Special +P LSWC-HP "FBI" ammunition. She doesn't want to use a single action revolver, especially one that is significantly more powerful at both ends.

So I bought an older S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman 357 Magnum with 4-inch barrel

I understand her not wanting one too much recoil, but since the original poster didn't address it, I'm wondering if it doesn't come down her to not wanting to pack the extra weight of a bigger, heavier gun? Or maybe the grip size of the others just doesn't fit her hand as well as her current 640-1? (You didn't address her reaction to the model 28.) A quick perusal of the 'net shows a pretty significant weight "penalty" (for packing as opposed to shooting) over the J-frame 640 at 22 oz, with the K-frame 4" 28 at 41 oz, and the Freedom Arms at somewhere around 36 oz- depending on barrel length.

The model 28 Highway Patrolman is an “N” Frame not a “K” Frame.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The model 28 Highway Patrolman is an “N” Frame not a “K” Frame.

Oops, yep, you're right! blush

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MOGC

Not at all. I suggest returning to the original post and re-reading. He states that his GF does not want to shoot a single action. The simple fact is for many people .. not everyone, but many people .. a single action manages recoil a lot better than a double action so the choices are to shoot a very abusive double action or a fairly soft shooting single action ... chambered for the same cartridge or one even more powerful. I good example from my own meager collection is my .357 DA revolver vs my single action .44 revolver. The .357 is vastly, vastly more abusive to shoot yet much less "potent" on critters.

Sometimes a person needs to step back, look at the desired result, and figure out the most effective way to get there. Y' can't always have both the destination you want AND the route you want to take. One doesn't lead to the other. As described by the OP, I think his girlfriend has put herself in that position.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
none of this is applicable unless you reload:
I have fooled around with these bullets, go up to 230 grains
https://www.pennbullets.com/38/38-caliber.html

Following something written by shoemaker years ago were 180 grain fmj's
and i have hard cast keith style 170 grain bullets for 357magnum. These i cast myself.
off the top of my head they were not max loads, but around 1000fps or so.
I do know shooting them into river rock, which is hard rock, they were cracking the rock.
impressed the snot out of me.
I was firing them out of a model 28 too.
i have never believed in a big bore handgun than on recoil is hard to manage for the second shot, given how fast a bear is.
My wife shoots a model 66 smith better than most men can.
She is 80 years old.
i think those 170 grain keith bullets is gonna stop anything she might be faced with two legged or four legged.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC

Not at all. I suggest returning to the original post and re-reading. He states that his GF does not want to shoot a single action. The simple fact is for many people .. not everyone, but many people .. a single action manages recoil a lot better than a double action so the choices are to shoot a very abusive double action or a fairly soft shooting single action ... chambered for the same cartridge or one even more powerful. I good example from my own meager collection is my .357 DA revolver vs my single action .44 revolver. The .357 is vastly, vastly more abusive to shoot yet much less "potent" on critters.

Sometimes a person needs to step back, look at the desired result, and figure out the most effective way to get there. Y' can't always have both the destination you want AND the route you want to take. One doesn't lead to the other. As described by the OP, I think his girlfriend has put herself in that position.

Tom

DA with less power for faster follow-up shots vs SA with more power and much slower follow-up shots. The age-old question......

And I don't have a definitive answer.

But I'd go with what she shoots best. I will say that the felt recoil issue with DA is quite often not dealt with properly. Few people really search out the best grip shape for them, and ironically, the potential variety of shapes is one of the biggest advantages of a DA revolver. With a proper hand-fitting grip, a DA can be quite comfortable with fairly heavy loads.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's subjective. I prefer a S&W double action .44 magnum over a Ruger Blackhawk .44 magnum all things equal. I definitely prefer the Bisley grip over the plow handle in heavy recoiling single actions.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,276
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.