Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by TheSOB
To be fair to Kyle, he never got the chance to defend himself in court. This should have been settled in either the court room or the bar room, but once Kyle was murdered, Tara should never have been drug into the fight. This is where I lost all respect for Jesse.

Did you listen to the interview?

No, and I won't. Don't consider Jesse's comments worthy of my time. To be completely fair to him, Kyle did seem to stretch the truth for a good story, so Jesse's version may be 100% accurate. That's not my point. If he would have dropped the case after Kyle was murdered, saying that the fight was between the two of them, and he refused to drag the innocent into the fight, then he would have won my respect, and I suspect the respect of fellow seals. He claimed it wasn't about the money, maybe that part was a lie. As far as the court case, with only one side being presented, and Kyle unable to defend himself, it went just as I suspected.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A few year's old but Ventura's take on the matter.

I admit I never really "dug" too deep in an attempt to find one way or the other what really happened here. I bought the book, saw the movie and assumed Ventura was a typical Hollywood personality. I'm having second thoughts about the whole mess now. Maybe Kyle got caught up in his own bar room story and never intended for it to go as far as it did and couldn't himself find a good way way out of it. To some degree most of us have probably had similar "fuzzy" remembrances about things that didn't factually happen the way we remember them. I don't feel the same way I did before watching that interview.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 07/10/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ventura is just a POS.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TheSOB

No, and I won't.

OK.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Ventura is just a POS.

Why do you say that?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aliens dislike a loud mouth drunk.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[
First tour in Nam I had 2 DFC's pinned on my chest by the CG 101st ABN about 4 months apart. Only one set of orders made it into my records, so in the world of paperwork I only received one. You guys can figure it however you want. [/quote]

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt Pard! DFCs are very hard to come by...:)

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by EIB0879
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by pete53
1st Carlos Hathcock was the greatest Sniper of all time.

By what measure?

If by number of confirmed kills, it would be Bert Waldron. Nothing against fellow Arkansan Carlos Hathcock, who shares my birthday.

That is precisely why I asked. Now if it's about BRASS BALLS, Hathcock ir Waldron would surely be in the running!

Chuck Mawhinney might have something to say about that

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Dunno who's lying about what. Jesse says Kyle was awarded 3 Bronze Stars, Kyle said 5? Didn't read the book he wrote. Wiki says Kyle was awarded 4 Bronze Stars, so who knows?

First tour in Nam I had 2 DFC's pinned on my chest by the CG 101st ABN about 4 months apart. Only one set of orders made it into my records, so in the world of paperwork I only received one. You guys can figure it however you want.

Dan brings up an excellent point regarding DD214's. They are often inaccurate however, they can be corrected.

It is fairly well documented that the Navy took issue with the commendation's listed by Kyle. If the numbers were skewed on either side they could be easily (by .gov standards) remedied. The Navy was correct in their questioning. After review it was determined he had one Silver and four Bronze. A lot of people would say no explanation is needed and I'd tend to agree. Unless the subject in question wrote a book about himself.

The Katrina shootings could have happened in my opinion. There are numerous accounts of Delta and other groups being flown into New Orleans at the peak of chaos. However he seems to be the only one claiming to be perched atop the Superdome racking up kills. And I've never fully understood if he meant he was inside the dome or outside the dome? Inside would make the most sense but the story was floated in a way that doesn't make a lot of sense.

The gas station "shootings/murders" make even less sense. He is on record as stating they not only happened at a gas station on route 67, but that the local law enforcement helped cover it up and even praised him for his heroic deed. That raises some serious questions. None of those questions have ever been answered.

The Ventura tale is just one more piece of the puzzle that doesn't add up.

NOBODY (including Ventura) have ever claimed Kyle was not a war hero. Simply that a lot of what was perceived to be facts about the case, are anything but.

I think arguments regarding "greatest sniper ever" should be reserved for snipers. I think nitpicking Ventura's UDT vs SEAL status is juvenile unless you happen to be a SEAL or UDT graduate. And I think being a war hero doesn't give you carte blanche to say WTF you feel like saying and expect everyone to not as much as raise an eyebrow lest they be seen as "unpatriotic."

Regardless I think the excerpt of the video is educational and I think it demonstrates how powerful a podcast can be in comparison to conventional news/information sources.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Aliens dislike a loud mouth drunk.

OK.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good grief you'd think it was a bunch tampon users in Special Forces based on all the drama.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Good grief you'd think it was a bunch tampon users in Special Forces based on all the drama.

I'd say the issue is fairly more complicated and intriguing than that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FatCity67

I'd say the issue is fairly more complicated and intriguing than that.

I get the intriguing drama filled entertaining aspect part.

But complicated? He either lied about certain things in his biography or he didn't.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
You needed Cliff Notes for a 20 minute interview so I doubt you'll ever get it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read the book. Kyle didn’t need the Ventura or Katrina bs to sell his book...I hope it was the publisher or ghostwriter who thought exaggerating was a good idea, not Kyle.

Thanks for what you did in uniform...RIP

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You needed Cliff Notes for a 20 minute interview so I doubt you'll ever get it.

Your cute when you get dramatic.

"Maybe we're all happy."

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Dunno who's lying about what. Jesse says Kyle was awarded 3 Bronze Stars, Kyle said 5? Didn't read the book he wrote. Wiki says Kyle was awarded 4 Bronze Stars, so who knows?

First tour in Nam I had 2 DFC's pinned on my chest by the CG 101st ABN about 4 months apart. Only one set of orders made it into my records, so in the world of paperwork I only received one. You guys can figure it however you want.

Dan brings up an excellent point regarding DD214's. They are often inaccurate however, they can be corrected.

It is fairly well documented that the Navy took issue with the commendation's listed by Kyle. If the numbers were skewed on either side they could be easily (by .gov standards) remedied. The Navy was correct in their questioning. After review it was determined he had one Silver and four Bronze. A lot of people would say no explanation is needed and I'd tend to agree. Unless the subject in question wrote a book about himself.

The Katrina shootings could have happened in my opinion. There are numerous accounts of Delta and other groups being flown into New Orleans at the peak of chaos. However he seems to be the only one claiming to be perched atop the Superdome racking up kills. And I've never fully understood if he meant he was inside the dome or outside the dome? Inside would make the most sense but the story was floated in a way that doesn't make a lot of sense.

The gas station "shootings/murders" make even less sense. He is on record as stating they not only happened at a gas station on route 67, but that the local law enforcement helped cover it up and even praised him for his heroic deed. That raises some serious questions. None of those questions have ever been answered.

The Ventura tale is just one more piece of the puzzle that doesn't add up.

NOBODY (including Ventura) have ever claimed Kyle was not a war hero. Simply that a lot of what was perceived to be facts about the case, are anything but.

I think arguments regarding "greatest sniper ever" should be reserved for snipers. I think nitpicking Ventura's UDT vs SEAL status is juvenile unless you happen to be a SEAL or UDT graduate. And I think being a war hero doesn't give you carte blanche to say WTF you feel like saying and expect everyone to not as much as raise an eyebrow lest they be seen as "unpatriotic."

Regardless I think the excerpt of the video is educational and I think it demonstrates how powerful a podcast can be in comparison to conventional news/information sources.

Concur.

To add that Ventura, in my understanding, has never claimed to be a war hero either. I've always thought he was a goofy bastard and loves himself too much, but the facts came out at trial. The media sensationalized the lawsuit as they always do. The court of public opinion was harsh on Ventura because we love our hero's and they never have flaws in our mind's eye.

Kyle IS a hero. His over-watch saved countless American lives. No doubt about that. His book IS an inspiration to it's readers. I believe it still would have been without any embellishments. Why he did is known only to him. His editor should have fact checked way more carefully because of libel and defamation. Therefore, it's on them to pay damages...or their insurance company. Kyle's family suffered no financial loss from the lawsuit.

Honor with a capital "H" is maybe the most important word to any SEAL. Ventura is trying to protect his. Kyle's is still intact for his service and the service he did for others with PTSD. The book and Hollywood's portrayal of it, or the lawsuit doesn't diminish that fact.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Podcast date?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I read the book. Kyle didn’t need the Ventura or Katrina bs to sell his book...I hope it was the publisher or ghostwriter who thought exaggerating was a good idea, not Kyle.

Thanks for what you did in uniform...RIP

😎
The problem is, Kyle did say it. The book publisher's may be responsible for spreading it, but the lie is Kyle's. Unless his interviews on Opie and Anthony and Bill O'Reilly's shows were somehow mocked up, then Kyle indeed claimed to have punched Ventura in the face.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Podcast date?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhjHWovwix4

I believe the date is 01/04/2012.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 222Sako, 308xray, 29aholic, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,011
Posts18,520,664
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.