Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Easy on the ears ain't it George?

And WAY to practical. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep, quiet - no hearing protection.
Components - cheap
No jams
Fool proof loading
Long pouch-life
No sight adjustments
Will not over-penetrate

Cons:
Will not stop a charge.
May irritate an adversary.....😮😀

Seriously, I believe a big-mouthed, repeating, short-barreled shotgun to have a very sobering effect; if it’s beyond that stage, it will seriously affect the unsobered.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
finally some sanity, now we have it all, from 20mm cannon to pen knife.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would not recommend the 20mm Vulcan. It's loud and the recoil is bothersome. AP rounds will over penetrate and HE has a blast radius that is not compatible with the average home.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Laughing!.................

[Linked Image]

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I enjoy these conversations, Digital its evident that we all have our individual ideas, points of view, and eccentricities. While many might scoff at a 22 LR auto loader with 10 rounds in it, another person might find that its the only thing they shoot well, the 22 LR HP is quite lethal over and over again in news stories over my lifetime, but so are many other weapons. All joshing and baiting of fellow campfire members aside, if pressed a 22/45 lite would make do the 22LR is a lethal round, and admittedly I am probably more accurate with a 22 auto loader than any other pistol I own as I probably flinch, and I admit this. However I admit to liking the Glock 19 with an insight systems light and laser with 124 grain HST cartridges, and I have a reasonable amount of skill with the AR pattern rifles equipped with a red dot. All things considered even a tomahawk is better in the hands of a determined individual who knows how to use a tomahawk than an AR15 in the hands of someone who struggles to find the safety on it.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
That’s why I posted the link to the spear, satire. Now if the perp was armed, it might not work out to well.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by viking
That’s why I posted the link to the spear, satire. Now if the perp was armed, it might not work out to well.

I like the spear!

Personally I have a machete closest to me at night.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You should change your handle to "Chopper".

I am..........disturbed.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by viking

Blades have their place in the defense arsenal. During the middle ages, it was the spear, not the sword that was king of the battle field.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Kinda funny but kinda not. At one time finances were real skinny. My home defense "set" was a short Ruger Single Six with the .22 mag cylinder and a 1900-s vintage falling axe with about 10 inches of cutting edge. Stick your hand through MY window and you might leave but your hand and any other body parts beyond the window sill would not.

So far as home defense, I think there's a lot to be said for a pistol caliber carbine. We don't always have time to grab ear muffs. I'm not saying my AR is loud, mind you, but a buddy runs cows about 3 miles up the hill from the rifle range. One day at work he commented on how much noise was coming from the range. He said whatever it was he heard was quite a bit louder than the regular hunting rifles. We talked about day and time ... that noise was me with a Ruger MPR testing loads. Worth some consideration, I think.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Detect/delay the intrusion.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A direct hit from 00 buckshot out of a 12 or 20 gauge will instantly incapacitate a human inside of 10 yards . If the fight spills into the yard an AR may be a better choice . I don't worry about over penetration through sheetrock walls , that actually plays into my strategy in a home invasion . I don't have any close neighbors just me , woman and dogs here .
Some will argue that a AR is better because it's what they have trained with and that's a good reason . They are better off using what they are familiar with .

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Confrontations in the home, several types. A burglary where no one was thought to be home, or the worst would be an armed/no weapon confrontation where the perp is going to do you harm in a robbery or assault.

The type that knowingly breaks into your home with the owners in the house is the most dangerous by far, kill or be killed scenario. Most burglars will run like hell when they are confronted with or without a weapon.

Be prepared, go ahead and dig the hole.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
A direct hit from 00 buckshot out of a 12 or 20 gauge will instantly incapacitate a human inside of 10 yards.

What do you base this statement on?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mku140
So my wife has struggled with accurately and reliably shooting a pistol but has seemed to do exceptionally well with an ar. I would like to put one together for her to keep at the house. Im considering 5.556 or 300 blackout with 10.5 or 16" barrels. Thoughts on muzzle blast, over penetration, recoil, barrel lengths and caliber pros and cons etc.? Thanks

This thread has gotten off on a rabbit trail. If I were setting one up for my wife I'd do a short barrel, AR pistol w/ suppressor. Either caliber mentioned has merit. In 5.56 I'd go with Black Hills 77grOTM, in the .300BO I'd still have to do some homework. I'd also consider the .300Ham'r. More than worrying about hearing damage I'd worry about terminal performance. A red dot or reflex sight and a weapon light with a pressure switch would also be on my list. Functional familiarity is key regardless of what weapon is chosen. Under the stress of this type of confrontation, people break down to whatever level of training they've practiced to. Muscle memory and function will rule the day. Given the amount of practice I'd lean toward the 5.56.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
A direct hit from 00 buckshot out of a 12 or 20 gauge will instantly incapacitate a human inside of 10 yards.

What do you base this statement on?

Reality. Any load of shot will do that inside 10 yards. Hell's bells, #3 will do this at 25 yards.............

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
From wiki:

306 Pellets Winchester 20 gauge 2¾" #7½ Shot 1275 ft/s 1382 ft⋅lbf

55 (3.5 g) Nosler ballistic tip .223 3,240 ft/s (990 m/s) 1,282 ft⋅lbf

Normal 20 gauge birdshot loads come in at about 1275 foot-pounds. A youth model 870 in 20 gauge points like a wand even for my petite wife. Inside you average living room it will suffice.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If noise was really a concern then a suppressor would be a consideration.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Well Form pretty much described me as I am over 50 and always thought a shotgun loaded with #2 would be an awesome home defense gun.

As I am trying to educate myself, what ammo in 5.56 would you recommend for an AR?

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.