Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
800 posters pointin out the way things are, in reality.

One @sshole, gettin in the way, slowin sanity down, tryin ta make everbody else do it *his* way.

Explains everthing.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
That aint no Louisiana!!

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That shidt's photoshopped...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
That aint no Louisiana!!

Crested Butte to Gothic to Schofield Pass. I love riding out here. I see lots of animals that need a good killin'.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Stops in the middle a the road, steada pullin off to the side at the space provided by those that actually pay taxes.

No surprise.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Lot better scenery than the gravel roads I rode today.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Colorado eh?

You ride there from Louisiana?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last week I took a 60 mile ride from Mount Crested Butte to Gunnison and up Ohio Creek Road and over Ohio Pass. The drivers here are very respectful of cyclists. I told some ranchers that they had a post card perfect place. They thanked me. Later I saw one of their cows had gone tits up. Saw a pretty buck in velvet. It was quite a workout for these below sea level legs and lungs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colorado eh?

I drove my truck. I even passed some cyclists without losing my schidt.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

I am not just speaking out of my ass. I have researched this. The larger the group the greater the time advantage to passing side by side cyclists, but the advantage applies to passing 3 side by side as opposed to strung out. This obviously assumes the motorist has to enter the oncoming lane to safely pass the cyclist. Where there's a useable shoulder or a lane wide enough for a motorist to safely share with the cyclist, then single file is best for the motorist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NGdQDEkWCE

Sure, except that in the instance with the riders two up, the motorist was way too damned close while following them. If two had tangled and gone down, the car didn't have enough room to avoid running over them. So car should have started a couple seconds further away. So now it's 18 seconds vs 14.

Secondly, here in the US, I'm aware of no laws requiring the motor vehicle to move completely to the other lane. CA requires 3 feet between car and bike, other states require only 2. So there's more time made up not moving fully over into the other lane. Tons of places here where you don't even need to cross the centerline, and yet leave plenty of room to pass a group of single file cyclists.

Thirdly, what does the motorist do when something appears suddenly on the left. (or from the right in the English video)? Quite possibly swerves to the right. Where there is now less room for error because the riders are three up. Again, riders potentially getting mangled. Oh sure the motorist may, or may not face civil penalties. I hope the families of those lost take comfort in that. Best remember there's a jury in that civil action. And those people on the jury? They're made up of folks just like the ones found in this thread. So good luck with that massive lawsuit. Oh, and BTW, if you're not riding your bicycle "as close as practicable to the curb or right hand edge of the roadway", well here in CA, that's illegal. So, super dooper good luck with that lawsuit...

And last, there's the emotional/psychological effect that three riders abreast, blocking the entire lane has, vs those same three riding single file. The former incites the kind of anger found here in the thread. The latter, not nearly as much. Especially if this single file group is entirely within the shoulder.

Stay safe out there.

Under California law, what does "as close as practicable to the curb or right hand edge of the roadway" mean when the lane isn't wide enough for a cyclist and motorist to safely share?

I rarely ride in groups. When I do it's on lightly traveled roadways. We always single up for motorists. It doesn't save them time, but they feel better about it. As you have correctly identified, it serves the same purpose a pacifier does to a baby. It provides emotional comfort.

"as close as practicable to the curb or right hand edge of the roadway" means the same thing when the lanes are narrow or when they're wide. There are quite reasonable exceptions of course, look at "cvc 21202" for the actual text. Oh, and this section only applies when the cyclists are going slower than the normal speed of traffic. I'm not sure about where you live, but there are a couple roads near where I'm working where cyclists can easily outpace and pass motor vehicles. Though when doing so, I typically did so on the right.

CA (and other states) also legally require motorists to pass cyclists safely with some minimum distance between them. So to directly answer your question, when the lane is narrow (not the full roadway) then the motorist must move to some extent (partially or fully) into the oncoming lane. Hopefully nice and safely. Generally not an issue. Gets to be an issue when the entire width of the roadway is narrow, sightlines are limited, and half a dozen or more riders are doing 12 in a 35 mph zone and using the entire lane with half a dozen motorists stacked up behind them. In this instance, the cyclist are violating at least 3 laws: Obstructing traffic, failing to pull over when going slower than normal traffic and more than 5 vehicles are behind you, and not staying to the right of the roadway. Motorists in this instance don't want a "pacifier", they merely need the cyclists to obey the vehicle laws. End of story.

Now, riding like this most certainly does not justify intentionally doing harm to the cyclists. However, while passing the above peleton, should a deer jump from the left side of the roadway and the driver instinctively swerve right, running over cyclists, I've got to put a significant portion of the blame on the group of cyclists. Were they single file, staying right - fault solely on the motorist.

Regards,
Scott

As close to the right hand edge as practicable does not apply on a lane to narrow to share. The cyclist can be anywhere within that narrow lane.

Define "too narrow to share"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

"Bike Path"

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Goat path!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

That is gorgeous and rugged country. That's not Schofield Pass proper though. Is it beyond SP out near the Devil's Punch Bowl?

SP is right by Emerald Lake.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gothic,+CO+81224/@39.0129119,-107.0461789,738m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x87406c119b5734a5:0x7fcffc56829fadd2!8m2!3d38.959158!4d-106.9897675

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your speaking of the pass for tourist.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Colorado eh?

I drove my truck. I even passed some cyclists without losing my schidt.

Do you ride in big circles or is someone following you?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

Not following you. Are you disputing the fact that smaller vehicles reduce the amount of traffic congestion in metropolitan areas?

Yes.

This is from personal experience, nothing theoretical about it:

Riding singly vs driving singly, 6-8 people or more occupy the same area in a lane when on scooters/bicycles. Double up in cars, sure, but scooters can double up too then. Since cars are at the same time highly restricted in speed in metropolitan traffic, perhaps 20-30x OR MORE people can use two wheeled vehicles to go from point A to point B in the same amount of time. A commute that normally took 15 minutes in a car, could take an hour during commute periods. Yet it still took just a little bit more than 15 minutes on an electric scooter. I would be joined by dozens upon dozens of other riders at each red light. One thing: this was with a lane dedicated solely to two wheel transit, with a physical boundary between motorists and two wheelers. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever that were all those people that were on two wheels move to cars, then traffic would be quite significantly worse.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is the language used in the law you previously cited. I don't know how CA defines it. If a lane is too narrow to accommodate a cyclist riding about 2 feet from the curb or fog line and a car passing at a safe distance, then it is generally considered too narrow to share.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Your speaking of the pass for tourist.

Ahhh! Gotcha. I didn't know there was another one. I will bike roads like that all day long. They scare the piss out of me in a truck, Jeep or SUV.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You think Schofield Pass is bad you should check out Mt Blanca. There is another 4 wheel drive road that is absolutely nuts in terms of how steep it is, but I can't remember the name.

Red Cone maybe?

We did the Holy Cross trail probably 20 year ago now and that is some gorgeous country too.

Page 9 of 20 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1234, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,524
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.