Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Too many illegal migrants = too many unsolved crimes.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JeffA
Good thing your room wasn't in Key West, you still wouldn't be there yet...lol

https://liveduvalstreet.com <~Key West Live Street Cam

We met some folks at the American legion post tonight that told us about Duval st. Luckily we are a day late. There will be one day this week we head south

We didn’t know it but this is mini lobster season this week. The locals hate it. That is the reason this place is a zoo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

We met some folks at the American legion post tonight that told us about Duval st. Luckily we are a day late. There will be one day this week we head south

We didn’t know it but this is mini lobster season this week. The locals hate it. That is the reason this place is a zoo.

You hit mini-season week perfectly. It will get worse by Monday, and Tuesday-Friday will be an all out cluster fugg.

Unfortunately, I have to run an 80’ sportfish down there on charter Tuesday with some guests who have never caught a lobster before. We were down this past week scouting and fishing, and some of our spots have bugs, but the people I have on charter are probably the worst ‘guests’ I’ve had since I began working on boats in the 80’s, and that is saying something. The worst part of it is that I’m doing a favor for a friend who runs this boat full time, so it’s not even my own charter. The only upside of the whole mess is that the boat is a 8 month old Viking, so it’s like running a big, cushy, fighter jet around, just beautiful. Now if I can keep the googans from running into it this week, that would be great.

Be safe, have patience, and show up for dinner at any restaurant either with reservations, or time to spare waiting for a table. Hopefully you’ll have some fun and won’t let the influx of ‘Miami’ this week get you down.

Craig

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

You hit mini-season week perfectly. It will get worse by Monday, and Tuesday-Friday will be an all out cluster fugg.

Unfortunately, I have to run an 80’ sportfish down there on charter Tuesday with some guests who have never caught a lobster before. We were down this past week scouting and fishing, and some of our spots have bugs, but the people I have on charter are probably the worst ‘guests’ I’ve had since I began working on boats in the 80’s, and that is saying something. The worst part of it is that I’m doing a favor for a friend who runs this boat full time, so it’s not even my own charter. The only upside of the whole mess is that the boat is a 8 month old Viking, so it’s like running a big, cushy, fighter jet around, just beautiful. Now if I can keep the googans from running into it this week, that would be great.

Be safe, have patience, and show up for dinner at any restaurant either with reservations, or time to spare waiting for a table. Hopefully you’ll have some fun and won’t let the influx of ‘Miami’ this week get you down.

Craig

A big Viking, I hate it for you grin Probably one of the good things that comes out of NJ.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It'll skinny up some through the week days even with the mini season going.
A lot more local folks from Miami to Ft Myers area are just seizing their weekend off to go get a lobster, that's why you ran into all the boat towing traffic on the way down, they ain't stayin' all week, not most of them anyway.

It is gonna make it harder to find a charter or rental boat if you don't have something prearranged.

A partial day or sunset boat trip out to one of the many coral reefs for snorkeling is something everyone should consider if they've never done it. Even if you don't get out of the boat it will be a enjoyable time.

The magic lies in what's beneath the surface of all that water you are looking at

Choose you timing wisely for your venture to Key West.
Everybody goes and drives the loop around the island as a day trip.
On a busy weekend day at the peak of season I have set in traffic 30 miles outside of KW waiting as the string of cars crawls along. It moves at the pace of how long it takes people to drive down Duval St. and either leave or find parking.

Once you get down there, don't try to drive down Duval, park on any street in any side neighborhood and walk it from there. The parking in the hoods is free, if walking isn't your thing, jump on a first shuttle tram or the Conch train, which ever you see first, just flag them down.
If you're more adventurous than that, rent a scooter or a bike, they are everywhere. Rental services are plentiful and they will get you all over the place and you'll have no trouble parking them.

Fort Zachary Beach is the best place to escape the madness of KW without leaving the island. Nice stop to catch your breath and take a break.

The place comes alive at night and the traffic lightens up considerably as well for your drive back.
You might try something more traditional of KW and stay for dinner and then take in one of the shows at the local clubs.
Try the Aqua Club or 801 Bourbon Club for some true Key West entertainment along with some more colorful tales to tell when you get back home.

Make the best of it and enjoy yourself.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Too hot, too many people, too many snakes and bugs some of which can kill you.

I'd live in a bug's anus before I moved to fugking Vermont.

Noted, with a chuckle

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We were going to bring our dive gear but I found all the operators I talked to sent divers and snorkelers together which meant they limited dives to 60 min.

At a 40ft depth, that meant we would come up with half a tank and that is not acceptable to us

We just decided to do the tourist thing for the week so we can pick and choose when and where we go.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tikka77
Too many illegal migrants = too many unsolved crimes.

This is FL were talking about here, not TX.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Robbies on Islamorada is normally good for a boat rental, but probably not this week. Pretty easy to find your own way around the reefs there with a basic set of charts for diving. I am close enough that I bring my own boat, I'd be part of that traffic you encountered.

If I am coming down to wine and dine I stay in the resorts but when it's myself and another couple guys for fishing we book a vacation rental through VBRO or AirBnB, they are way cheaper and normally there will be parking for our boats and trucks.. It's amazing how many of those come with a boat, like a 18 to 22 ft open fisherman or the like. I suppose they bank on the liability insurance those vacation rental services throw in when you list your home through them.

The combination of dealing with the congestion involved with the Miami and Fort Lauderdale areas and their airports topped off with the horrid 125 mile drive through the little beach towns in the Keys sucks bad, it can be a poor way to start a trip. A guy needs to entertain the option of flying into SW FL International over in Ft Myers, it's a sleepy little airport. From there you can jump on the High Speed Ferry straight into Key West and be there in short order.
Or just fly right into KW and rent a car for a day or two, either way you never have to deal with the drive or even see Miami...When I have to make that drive pulling a boat I start down through there at like 3 am.

Lots of ways to enjoy the area...hope your stay is pleasant...

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Crappy gun and hunting law, and lets not get into migration laws.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen boobies on Ft Zachary Taylor beach

Haha

Watched a guy carrying a cooler walk into the corner of a concrete picnic table nuts first looking at the same gals tits as me.

😂😂😂😂

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lot's of skin shows in the Keys, that guy had to be a tourist.....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Well she was waving them around like sea lampreys.

Page 18 of 18 1 2 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (300_savage, 264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 26 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,362
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.