Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Define "too narrow to share"

It is the language used in the law you previously cited. I don't know how CA defines it. If a lane is too narrow to accommodate a cyclist riding about 2 feet from the curb or fog line and a car passing at a safe distance, then it is generally considered too narrow to share.

Ok, so our logic is similar. So that equates to any lane 10.5-11.5 feet wide or less. (5 foot wide car, 2-3 foot margin for safety, 3 foot wide cyclist, 2 feet from tire to edge of road. Again, should there be obstacles/right turns, cyclists exceeding the speed of traffic... then the cyclist has no need to abide by "as far to the right as practicable".

So justify cyclists saying they should take the lane if it's narrower than 14 feet. This, in instances when none of the exceptions to cvc 21202 apply. Doing so because "it feelz dangerous if i don't take the lane"

Oh, just realized you said two feet from the fog line. Nope, sorry. There's no mention of "fog line" in the regulation. And here's why: There are shoulders here that are 4 feet wide or more, no obstructions or debris whatsoever. Absolutely zero justification for riding outside them unless 21202 exceptions apply. And yet, there are the pair of riders, two up, chatting away, with one outside the shoulder by a couple feet. Becuz "I need to take the lane for safety".

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Jayzus, go out and ride your bicycle already.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Schofield is no big deal.
That ain't Schofield, it's Crystal Canyon. And it's pretty bad in places.

I thought that was Gothic Mountain, beautiful area, and one that is as
well suited to bikes as any. Used to hunt that area every year. Time/expense
kept me away for awhile. Now, I just can't justify the cost, it's gotten outrageous.
Not that I can't, now. Just won't. License alone cost darn near as much as my
total cost in 1988, including 12 nights in a cabin.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dodgefan
You think Schofield Pass is bad you should check out Mt Blanca. There is another 4 wheel drive road that is absolutely nuts in terms of how steep it is, but I can't remember the name.

Red Cone maybe?

We did the Holy Cross trail probably 20 year ago now and that is some gorgeous country too.

I have passed Blanca a number of times but have never been on it. It's a totally different Colorado there. I love this state for its geological diversity and beauty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is the language used in the law you previously cited. I don't know how CA defines it. If a lane is too narrow to accommodate a cyclist riding about 2 feet from the curb or fog line and a car passing at a safe distance, then it is generally considered too narrow to share.

Ok, so our logic is similar. So that equates to any lane 10.5-11.5 feet wide or less. (5 foot wide car, 2-3 foot margin for safety, 3 foot wide cyclist, 2 feet from tire to edge of road. Again, should there be obstacles/right turns, cyclists exceeding the speed of traffic... then the cyclist has no need to abide by "as far to the right as practicable".

So justify cyclists saying they should take the lane if it's narrower than 14 feet. This, in instances when none of the exceptions to cvc 21202 apply. Doing so because "it feelz dangerous if i don't take the lane"

Oh, just realized you said two feet from the fog line. Nope, sorry. There's no mention of "fog line" in the regulation. And here's why: There are shoulders here that are 4 feet wide or more, no obstructions or debris whatsoever. Absolutely zero justification for riding outside them unless 21202 exceptions apply. And yet, there are the pair of riders, two up, chatting away, with one outside the shoulder by a couple feet. Becuz "I need to take the lane for safety". Some cyclists don't use a god shoulder because there "may be debris." In my mind that puts them outside the hazard exception. It is for real not potential hazards.

I only mentionedfog line because it is often the edge of the roadway where I ride. I love a good shoulder to ride on and use them unhesitatingly. If I am riding side by side with one on the shoulder and one on the roadway, I'll single up when auto traffic approaches. If auto traffic is steady, I'll stay on the shoulder. I try to avoid areas with steady traffic though.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Schofield is no big deal.
That ain't Schofield, it's Crystal Canyon. And it's pretty bad in places.

I thought that was Gothic Mountain, beautiful area, and one that is as
well suited to bikes as any. Used to hunt that area every year. Time/expense
kept me away for awhile. Now, I just can't justify the cost, it's gotten outrageous.
Not that I can't, now. Just won't. License alone cost darn near as much as my
total cost in 1988, including 12 nights in a cabin.

I think hunting here would be an incredible experience. At my age with my bad joints packing and animal out would be hell. I have never been to Crystal Canyon and it does indeed look bad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1988 we were hunting the 12 day season.
We took a day to basically ride around see what there was to see,
and maybe a different place to hunt. I was a 19 year old, in the back of a Toyota with a cap.
There was another guy in the back, two up front.

We went over the pass, down through the meadow past the little cabin, and past the
signs saying experienced 4-wheelers with properly equipped vehicles only.
A little way in it was narrow, with a drop on one side, the road cut into the rock wall
And a solid wall on the other. Then we came to the boulder in the road. Not wanting to back
out, and figuring we would be fine on the other side, we got out and guided the truck around.
Barely!

The road was mostly like #4 or 6 stone, and much of it was so narrow the guys up front couldn't
get out. There were vehicles rolled down into the canyon that couldn't be recovered,
and one had to ponder the fate of the passengers. After the worst, there is an old
mill, near Marble, Google it. There was a little store at a crossroad, nothing else.
We stopped to get a drink, and ask an old man the best way back to Crested Butte or
Gunnison. He looked at us a bit, and said, "Well how did you get here".
We just said down this road. He looked at us again, and said "Boys, I won't go through there
on anything but a horse".

Some of our group were behind us, and tried to go through in an F-250. The driver
drove trucks and well drilling rigs his whole life. They couldn't get around the boulder,
and had to back probably a mile or more back out. Those passengers wouldn't ride.
Said someone had to live to tell the story.

We stayed at Lost Canyon Resort, just cabins.
Telling the owner about our ride, he shared the story of a family that tried to go through
there in a full size Bronco or Blazer. It went over in the Devil's Punchbowl, the driver bailed
as it slid off the road. He lived, his family didn't.

If you remember the Snuffy Smith road above Emerald Lake, in the '90's, a truck driver
tried to go through that road in an 18 wheeler. He got hung up there, and was stuck for
days. They finally had to bring in cranes to hoist him out. If he had gotten through,
He was looking to go through the canyon to Aspen.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
1988 we were hunting the 12 day season.
We took a day to basically ride around see what there was to see,
and maybe a different place to hunt. I was a 19 year old, in the back of a Toyota with a cap.
There was another guy in the back, two up front.

We went over the pass, down through the meadow past the little cabin, and past the
signs saying experienced 4-wheelers with properly equipped vehicles only.
A little way in it was narrow, with a drop on one side, the road cut into the rock wall
And a solid wall on the other. Then we came to the boulder in the road. Not wanting to back
out, and figuring we would be fine on the other side, we got out and guided the truck around.
Barely!

The road was mostly like #4 or 6 stone, and much of it was so narrow the guys up front couldn't
get out. There were vehicles rolled down into the canyon that couldn't be recovered,
and one had to ponder the fate of the passengers. After the worst, there is an old
mill, near Marble, Google it. There was a little store at a crossroad, nothing else.
We stopped to get a drink, and ask an old man the best way back to Crested Butte or
Gunnison. He looked at us a bit, and said, "Well how did you get here".
We just said down this road. He looked at us again, and said "Boys, I won't go through there
on anything but a horse".

Some of our group were behind us, and tried to go through in an F-250. The driver
drove trucks and well drilling rigs his whole life. They couldn't get around the boulder,
and had to back probably a mile or more back out. Those passengers wouldn't ride.
Said someone had to live to tell the story.

We stayed at Lost Canyon Resort, just cabins.
Telling the owner about our ride, he shared the story of a family that tried to go through
there in a full size Bronco or Blazer. It went over in the Devil's Punchbowl, the driver bailed
as it slid off the road. He lived, his family didn't.

If you remember the Snuffy Smith road above Emerald Lake, in the '90's, a truck driver
tried to go through that road in an 18 wheeler. He got hung up there, and was stuck for
days. They finally had to bring in cranes to hoist him out. If he had gotten through,
He was looking to go through the canyon to Aspen.

That Devils Punch Bowl road has eaten its share of vehicles and people from what I have heard. I have ridden pretty far back in there on a bicycle, and I would not want to do it in a regular size motor vehicle. I cannot imagine any sober person trying any of that in an 18 wheeler. This is what it looked like today after I turned around because of a mound of snow across the road.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 07/18/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yesterday was my last day of riding the mountains. I did a 61 mile ride from Mt Crested Butte to several miles shy of Buffalo Pass. I hate to leave this place behind.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/washington-state-cyclist-dies-after-montana-highway-accident

"BUTTE, Mont. — A bicyclist from Washington state has died of his injuries after being struck by a vehicle on a Montana highway.

The Montana Standard reports the 70-year-old died Monday from injuries he suffered in the accident on the shoulder of Montana Highway 2 around 2 p.m. Sunday.

Authorities did not identify the man.

The Montana Highway Patrol says the man was struck by the side mirror of a motor home, which caused him to crash.

The motor home was on the same side of the road as the cyclist and reportedly slowed, but could not move over on the two-lane highway as another vehicle approached.

Authorities say alcohol, drugs and excessive speed are not considered factors in the accident.

The cyclist was wearing a helmet at the time."

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
How many of the bike complainers on this thread are overweight/out of shape and should actually ride a bike once in a while?

Based on my observations there is a direct positive correlation between how vociferously folks protest bicyclists and their weight.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

Oh, just realized you said two feet from the fog line. Nope, sorry. There's no mention of "fog line" in the regulation. And here's why: There are shoulders here that are 4 feet wide or more, no obstructions or debris whatsoever. Absolutely zero justification for riding outside them unless 21202 exceptions apply. And yet, there are the pair of riders, two up, chatting away, with one outside the shoulder by a couple feet. Becuz "I need to take the lane for safety".

Bicyclists have a death wish and arrogance that needs controlled. The camera is wide angle and the distances are deceiving. This is a highway with a legal speed limit of 70 MPH. The truck in the oncoming lane is also doing 60-70 MPH and if you count the centerlines, it gives you a better idea of just how close he is and at this speed doesn't allow you to swerve over into the oncoming lane to avoid the cyclist. the cyclist is a better target than a semi truck. This is the rule, not the exception...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not that it'll serve to educate those who wish to remain ignorant, but here's a light read on how roads are funded.

https://frontiergroup.org/reports/fg/who-pays-roads

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Bicyclists have a death wish and arrogance that needs controlled. The camera is wide angle and the distances are deceiving. This is a highway with a legal speed limit of 70 MPH. The truck in the oncoming lane is also doing 60-70 MPH and if you count the centerlines, it gives you a better idea of just how close he is and at this speed doesn't allow you to swerve over into the oncoming lane to avoid the cyclist. the cyclist is a better target than a semi truck. This is the rule, not the exception...

[Linked Image]

Damn rumble strips. That'd be an ideal shoulder if it didn't have them. What difficulty did you experience in seeing or negotiating your way around that cyclist? I am reckoning I could see him on that road from a mile away, and it's not like traffic density is such that I couldn't easily pass him.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You need to get tangled up with RABRAI[Linked Image]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Damn rumble strips????????

You must be joking.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
You need to get tangled up with RABRAI[Linked Image]

When I was a kid, we used to think that guard convoys headed to Ripley were something; then came RAGBRAI. That picture pretty much says it all.

Last edited by 5sdad; 07/25/19.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

Damn rumble strips. That'd be an ideal shoulder if it didn't have them. What difficulty did you experience in seeing or negotiating your way around that cyclist? I am reckoning I could see him on that road from a mile away, and it's not like traffic density is such that I couldn't easily pass him.

The highway was designed for motorized use. Cyclists believe they are special and deserve special treatment. So I need to change my driving habits to accommodate a cyclist. I usually do because I don't want to intentionally injure someone, meanwhile these arrogant cyclists pedal all over Montana and other highways with little regard for an automobile that could smash the piss out of them and then finger you when you pass. Don't tell me that doesn't happen because it does.

Worse yet is to get 2 or more cyclists and they ride side by side and ride casually expecting everyone to yield to their riding habits. I have spent over 40 years driving professionally all over southwest Montana and have easily logged over 1.5 million miles avoiding those people. I will admit they are not all that way, but most are. That is an observation from being on the road, not reading about it...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good post.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Rumble strips save lives. Sheesh.

I am MAGA.
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (06hunter59, 10ring1, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 37 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,005 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,659
Posts18,512,842
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.