Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
As to the Creedmoor, I don't have one because EVERYONE now does...Even if it is arguably the best cartridge introduced since the 257 Weatherby smile

I don't have one.

GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I would own one....but I have not gotten around to it.

I bought a meat grinder and a smoker instead.

I do have a 6.5 Grendel and would like to see more light weight hunting options for it.

A Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel with a 100 grain deer bullet should be the new standard for starting a kid hunting.

Just say no to a 94 Winchester for kids!

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Then there is the nice shooting 6.5 Grendel. whistle

Ammo can be had from the 90 grain to the 129 and i think some heavier might be in the work.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I do like my 6.5 Grendel

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Honey, fire up the popcorn popper.

Honey, is it too early in the day for Guinness with my popcorn? The Luddites are still going at it.

Never had any desire for a WSM, but .204 Ruger and the various Creedmoors look like winners to this bitter old white man. cool

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Mule deer:

Post #13985833, paragraph 9 starts "Since 2010 . . . . . "

Your paragraph states the other rifles you've taken antelope with that probably did as good a job as the 6.5 Creedmoor, but saying that you took a "big game animal" with it does not make it any better at the job than your 22-250.

Last edited by recoiljunky; 07/19/19.

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It had a cooler name is all.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Honey, fire up the popcorn popper.

Honey, is it too early in the day for Guinness with my popcorn? The Luddites are still going at it.

Never had any desire for a WSM, but .204 Ruger and the various Creedmoors look like winners to this bitter old white man. cool

Guinness is for breakfast too, no?

So no, the 6.5 Creedmoor's popularity wasn't due to an intense PR campaign to turn it into the latest fad. Instead the interest grew from people who started using it for hunting, and unlike many other rounds that did turn out to be fads or semi-fads, sales continue to grow 12 years after it appeared. This many not make you happy, but so far I haven't heard of anybody FORCING shooters to buy 6.5 Creedmoors.

John

C'mon John, the popularity of the 6.5 Creed is directly attributable to guys like you writing glowing reviews of it, based on actual experience on the range and in the field, with readily available and affordable (cheap) factory ammo, and reasonably priced (some cheap even) rifles which just happened to turn out to be accurate (highly accurate?) in a majority of cases.

Let's not for get the many posters here and on other online fora that found something that works and are letting their internet "friends" know about it.

It's OK to take credit when it is due.

Geno

PS, I'm not in the market for one, as I have some rifles that sit unused for long enough periods as it is, but if this topic keeps coming up I may have to get an affordable, accurate Ruger American in 6.5 C. They are still legal in this State I hear.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Should I start a new thread?

When do we see a 9.3 Creedmor? To take advantage of the amazing properties of the 9.3mm (.366?) diameter projectile in a short action rifle.

Why not, they already have 6mm Creedmor, and I think a .22C also right? I say upsize!

Geno

PS then we can have threads about the 9.3x62, 9.3x57, vs the 9.3 Creed.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
As a certified bitter old white guy ...

Where do I go to sign up? Is there a form to fill out?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If I ever get to go deer hunting again, I'll still reach for the 30 cal.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

I thought it was the default on this forum so I didn't sign up either! 🤔

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK so maybe SOME Creedmor guys remind me of some 7mag owners back in the 70's. Marketing did its thing- "can take any game on the American continent" -remember hearing that line over and over? Sold a lot of rifles.

Now, I own and LOVE my 260. Same for my 6mm- I got these two thinking they were just a bit better than their closest, more standard, rivals because like most here, we are kind of snobs...I mean enthusiasts.

Many here load every single round sent through their bolt actions. Weigh each powder load. Measure COAL - all looking for perfection. In my case often screwing up something that worked wonderfully in the process. OMG!!! Enduron powders!!! I need those!

Well why WOULDN'T anyone gravitate to the 6.5 Creedmor? The only hiccup I ever got with my 260, that shot great even with its slow twist- another thing I tried to fix rather than believe my lying eyes- was, just as with my 6mm -the best groups I got came when loading the cartridge too long for the magazine - and of course not realizing it until heading in to the field.

The Creedmoor addresses that without sacrificing a thing and often with a more appropriate twist. What in the world is there to bitch about that?

And I don't even own one.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
I do like my 6.5 Grendel
The more I've used the Grendel at targets and hogs and the more I see it used by others it the better I like it. In my career I saw many hunters switch to magnums and become much worse shots than they once were. I haven't used a Grendel at over 350 yards but inside that it has worked for us way better than I expected. When my neighbor bought his (which is the only one I've used) I wondered what was the reason since he already had a very accurate .223/5.56 AR but afterwards told him I was wrong and this is a much better rifle and the recoil is not noticeably more. With a .223 AR I have avoided shots at large hogs if they were much over 200 yards away but the Grendel will kill as far as I'm going to shoot.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I enjoyed Mule Deer's comparison of the 6.5CM to the 270win in his first Gun Gack. Yes the 6.5 has good merit, but not enough for me to move my 270, or 7-08 down the road. In the hunting spectrum of consideration the difference isn't comment worthy in my opinion. Now if I could sell my not worthy, "old man", 308 target rifle, I'd get a 6.5CM built for target work, but I don't need another gun and the only way my 308 will move is if I allow an undesirable feeling of being robbed to fill me. And regarding MD's reference to you old men, I was 25 in 2001 and didn't have any extra after paychecks to buy guns, but I did have my grandpa's, hand-me-down 721 in 270win serving me well. No, the 721 hasn't, and isn't going anywhere!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
I do like my 6.5 Grendel
The more I've used the Grendel at targets and hogs and the more I see it used by others it the better I like it. In my career I saw many hunters switch to magnums and become much worse shots than they once were. I haven't used a Grendel at over 350 yards but inside that it has worked for us way better than I expected. When my neighbor bought his (which is the only one I've used) I wondered what was the reason since he already had a very accurate .223/5.56 AR but afterwards told him I was wrong and this is a much better rifle and the recoil is not noticeably more. With a .223 AR I have avoided shots at large hogs if they were much over 200 yards away but the Grendel will kill as far as I'm going to shoot.

I’m shooting the 120 Nosler BT @ 2450fps, any experience with that bullet from the Grendel, good or bad?

Thanks.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

ME TOO ME ME ME ! !

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a 6.5 CM. Can see no reason to switch from a 7/08 or .260, unless the rifle has other aspects you need. A reason the 6.5 CM might be doing so well is a growing wave of older farts learning that they don't need to get kicked hard or carry a heavy rifle to kill things and perform well on targets. Another reason is the modern tendency to twist rifles faster in order to maximize BCs, since everyone buys a rifle based on spreadsheets. It does deliver excellent return per unit of recoil invested. And there is some very good, cheap loaded ammo out there for it.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A person can appreciate the Creedmoor (or not), own it (or not), use it (or not), and still enjoy other chamberings, all without having to justify their actions or belittle the popular little cartridge. This is lost on many. Then again, any time there is a discussion on hunting/offroad trucks here and folks mention the Tacoma, some can't help but mention that it can't be a "real truck" because it won't tow their gooseneck. I'd wager folks knew of that characteristic when they bought the truck, much like many Creedmoor owners already knowing that the 6.5x55 has been "launching 6.5mm bullets into mooses since the dawn of civilization" and that the .264WinMag will "push those same bullets 350fps faster than the puny and worthless Creed." Self-validation of choices is never not interesting.

Now with even more aplomb
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I appreciate the history and personal experiences with the 6.5 C. After looking at the reloading data, I could not tell one from the other comparing the 260 to the 6.5 but it does appear that there are some slight nuances. I had the 6.5 bug years ago, built rifles for 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 65.-06 and 264 WM. They were all nice and shot better than me but eventually found that I simply like my 270 Win better. I am an amateur but all accounts but I own 32 sets of reloading dies and spend about two decades experimenting with many cartridges over the years, factory spec, improved and a couple wildcats. These days I simply don't have the time to experiment as much as I like so I just grab one of my tried and true rifles and hunt when I can. I'm starting a new rifle project, a 30-06, about as boring as it can get but I've had several but don't have one now and figure I need a 308 cal. Using a win long action 70 so 308 is not an option. don't want the recoil of the 300 wm so the 06 is the winner!

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (44mc, 219DW, 007FJ, 7887mm08, 35, 10 invisible), 1,378 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,698
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.