Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Why should I, my family, or all other Americans pay for what happened to people and their families that day? It's total BS that we need to fork over billions to them.

Nobody came to my rescue when I fell off a roof, helping a homeowner get their damaged roof repaired. I'm now partially crippled from that.

Nobody came to my rescue when I almost lost my home and small farm when I got cancer.

Nobody came to the rescue of my son's best friend who was killed in a tragic auto accident last week, leaving a wife and children.

Why should we all be nicked collectively to compensate families of business people, secretaries, maintenance workers, visitors, first responders, pedestrians walking by, etc. at the site of the Twin Towers?

Personal responsibility and common sense are now things of the past in this country.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
"We" shouldn't have to.

But sometimes it's the right thing to do.... after people were sickened and died trying to save lives after a terrorist group created a national emergency.

Culpability lies completely on the terrorists and whoever supports them. But it might be a bit hard to collect from them now.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They're talking about extending the benefits until 2090. I don't know what they are thinking. It was a tragic event but compensation for 89 years is unbelievable. I always thought fireman signed up to be fireman, police signed up to police, etcetera, etcetera.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I live in the NC mountains, but, my neighbor had an apartment in New York in 2001. I was interested in being a volunteer to help clean up after the towers collapsed. New York was calling for volunteers. The New York officials, Guiliani and them, were saying that the area was non toxic. It was safe to work in that zone. I looked at the videos of that huge pile of trash, you know there was probably asbestos, and all kind of toxic crap for you to breathe if you were working there.

I thought it would be pretty cool to go hang out in Manhattan for a couple of months, I had a free place to stay, and help in the clean up. But I smelled a rat and decided not go to. Thank God I took a pass on that adventure.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MD521
They're talking about extending the benefits until 2090. I don't know what they are thinking. It was a tragic event but compensation for 89 years is unbelievable. I always thought fireman signed up to be fireman, police signed up to police, etcetera, etcetera.

And they have far better benefits than I ever had.

I guess we all have to pay for any and all shattered lives, whatever the reason. I grew up with the belief that we take responsibility for our Own lives and our families' welfare. There were no individual government bail outs and lifelong paydays.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

In 2090 there will be no real financial impact. In 20 years the financial impact will be pretty small. As far as falling off the roof and what not, you made that choice and bless you for it. Those firemen were dispatched and couldn't say no. They couldn't back out once they got on scene. If you had a family member missing, you would not have wanted them to quit searching just to save their own asses 20 years later.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So according to many of y'alls line of thinking, combat injured vets also shouldnt get disabilty benefits nor their survivors recieve any death benefits either, cause they signed up for it.....fuggin unreal!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smarquez

In 2090 there will be no real financial impact. In 20 years the financial impact will be pretty small. As far as falling off the roof and what not, you made that choice and bless you for it. Those firemen were dispatched and couldn't say no. They couldn't back out once they got on scene. If you had a family member missing, you would not have wanted them to quit searching just to save their own asses 20 years later.

My job gave me no choice but go onto that roof. Does that qualify me for a government paycheck?

Those firemen signed on to do this kind of work and had many safety nets built into the job.

Do any other family members of missing people get a fat check? Don't we pay for emergency services already and pay for searches?

My point is that just because it happened on a large scale, does that make it more morally correct to fork over?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Part of this compensation is medical screening for the first responders who responded/became infected with the by-products of that incident. No one signed up to breath ground up building materials/human remains. They rushed in as everyone rushed out.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Often wondered about how this drags on. Some fairly respectable organizations did some informal audits in the months following the twin towers, and apparently enough was donated to compensate the heirs of the victims nearly a million bucks per victim! Wonder how much they actually received? Where did it all go?
This doesn't address the post disaster workers, but on every job I ever worked on, there is workers compensation and long term disability and survivors death benefits. If a guy dies of a work related illness or injury, his pay goes on to his family until the children turn 18 or the spouse remarries. For a guy receiving medical services for a job related injury, workers comp picks up the tab 100%. All this is separate from social security benefits. So what's happening, is the City of New York insurance carriers denying the workmens comp claims???

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Part of this compensation is medical screening for the first responders who responded/became infected with the by-products of that incident. No one signed up to breath ground up building materials/human remains. They rushed in as everyone rushed out.

They sure do sign up to do very hazardous work. They weren't drafted or coerced into taking the jobs. I greatly admire their bravery and dedication, just as I admire the workers at Chernobyl.

Also...also, this happened in the City of New York. It's the City's responsibility, not a nationwide responsibility.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by marktheshark
So according to many of y'alls line of thinking, combat injured vets also shouldnt get disabilty benefits nor their survivors recieve any death benefits either, cause they signed up for it.....fuggin unreal!!!

Where did you get that from??

The compensation is part of signing on, and it's a promise by government. They have a right to it.

What's fuggin unreal is your reaction to reality. First responders have their union negotiated benefits. Servicemen have government benefits (although I don't feel they're sufficient in many cases).

What's unreal is taking from those who have nothing to do with NYC in any way and nothing to do with the disaster and giving it those who chose to live in a city that's a target for this type of attack.

What's unreal is the "You owe Me" attitude rife in this country. The right is moving left, as witnessed here.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
An individual, except the President, elected or appointed to an office of honor or profit in the civil service or uniformed services, shall take the following oath: “I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.” This section does not affect other oaths required by law.

(Pub. L. 89–554, Sept. 6, 1966, 80 Stat. 424.)

I believe the events of 9/11 fall under defending the Constitution. Since the Constitution covers all Americans perhaps all Americans should pay.
Flame on.

Last edited by Mike_S; 07/20/19.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike_S
An individual, except the President, elected or appointed to an office of honor or profit in the civil service or uniformed services, shall take the following oath: “I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.” This section does not affect other oaths required by law.

(Pub. L. 89–554, Sept. 6, 1966, 80 Stat. 424.)

I believe the events of 9/11 fall under defending the Constitution. Since the Constitution covers all Americans perhaps all Americans should pay.
Flame on.

So why are we paying families of clerical workers, hedge fund managers, stock brokers, diamond merchants, importers, insurance agencies.......?

There's nothing in the Oath that implies vast payments to those oath takers. If those jobs there are like they are here, there's a long line of good men and women trying to get the jobs. I'm damned glad they are there, and I'm glad they have protections. I'm sure we all are.

What the hell...welfare for everyone, cradle to grave, and government needs to give ALL of us enough to live on.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari

So why are we paying families of clerical workers, hedge fund managers, stock brokers, diamond merchants, importers, insurance agencies.......?

There's nothing in the Oath that implies vast payments to those oath takers. If those jobs there are like they are here, there's a long line of good men and women trying to get the jobs. I'm damned glad they are there, and I'm glad they have protections. I'm sure we all are.

What the hell...welfare for everyone, cradle to grave, and government needs to give ALL of us enough to live on.

Simple enough, the media will crucify any government that says no.

Votes.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't like it either but I'd rather see tax money go there than to some donuffin welfare rat.

Same thing with farm subsidies....I'd rather see my money go to a hard working 3rd/4th generation farmer than to big Ag. or to bail out GMC.

But once again when the gubment gets involved whether it's dolling out freebies or voting for politicians we spend our lives settling for the lesser of two evils.

It's enough to drive ya to drink.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's a great point! Better to help families of folks who actually worked and paid taxes, for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why does my insurance go up when there is a fire in California or a hurricane in Florida?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Why does my insurance go up when there is a fire in California or a hurricane in Florida?

Capitalism...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.