Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
He APPEARS, he is not a myth! But no 788's I see, hmmmm, this is strange.

He can't be this Chuck of Norris Montana though. I know Alfred, Tim, Dixie, Keith but no Chuck.

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cartridges sure stir it up, often regardless of what rifle shot or bullet used.

Make perfect sense...

Defend the Constitution
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I still think a 9.3 Creed would do a job no other cartridge could do.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Humans will never all agree on anything. It would be a boring world if we did!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by hanco
Humans will never all agree on anything. It would be a boring world if we did!

I disagree

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Threads like this remind me of the Meedieval rguments about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, 24 or 25.

In the real word, if comeone could actually compile all the data, I doubt that one could find any meaningful difference between the 6.5 CM, the .260, and the .270, .280, .308, 30-06, etc. in terms of how well they have actually hit and killed big game.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was a HP rifle competitor from about 89 to 03, after I made distinguished rifle all my shooting was done with match rifles starting with .308 win.
Built a 6.5-08 panther for 600-1k to try for better barrel life over 6.5-284 along with easy to find decent brass. It worked fine. A little later one of my competitor friends Kent Reeve shortened a 6.5-08 case .080 keeping the same shoulder as a test to see if he could gain the ability to load 142 SMK's in the magazine for 300yd rapid fire while still keeping enough speed for 600yd slow. It worked well enough I did the same thing with one of my guns. Easy to make brass, just cutting off the base of the dies. I shortened and opened up the neck of a Dillon .243 power trim die for bulk of the trim work. All this was done before Remington brought out the .260 case. Having done all this mumbling, I would have jumped on DeMile's case that became the 6.5 CM if it had been available back then. Of course all this was for punching holes in paper. I did keep the last Kriger barreled 700 and stuck it in a hunting stock for my nephews to kill deer with, they loved it for stand hunting.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Geno

That would be lame.

A 366 Creed would be much handier.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Geno

That would be lame.

In some sort of Martini action.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Geno

That would be lame.

In some sort of Martini action.

Jim,

I loves me some Martini action. Especially after a woman gets into them Martinis. Unless she's one a them crazy biotches.

Yes, 366 in American nomenclature. Even an old set in his ways curmudgeon knows that. From page 3 (by my account) of this thread:

Should I start a new thread?

When do we see a 9.3 Creedmor? To take advantage of the amazing properties of the 9.3mm (.366?) diameter projectile in a short action rifle.

Why not, they already have 6mm Creedmor, and I think a .22C also right? I say upsize!

Geno

PS then we can have threads about the 9.3x62, 9.3x57, vs the 9.3 Creed.

Hope all is well up there on the high plains. And your able to cut and bale some hay this year.

Geno

PS I really do think the discussions regarding the benefits/lack thereof of the 9.3x62, 9.3x57, vs the 9.3 366 Creed would be exciting. One better for moose, the other barely adequate for deer and such nonsense. ehnm would test them all on rabbits though, and declare none as good as a 460Weatherby.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blindshooter
I was a HP rifle competitor from about 89 to 03, after I made distinguished rifle ...

You sound like a shooter I knew from the old days. Mike L? Only guy I ever heard of with worse eyes than me!

I built a 260 hunter in the days before the Creedmoor. Thought that Dennis' idea was a niche product that wouldn't go anywhere. ...after all there was already the 260 that was a legitimized 6.5-08 and the new 6.5x47 which came with Lapua brass. A couple of years ago I shopped BassPro for ammo. Couldn't find a single box of 260 to buy. But there was tons of 6.5 Creedmoor to be had. Boy did I get that one wrong!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Meh, the 6.5 PRC makes them both its bitch.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Time will tell.

In any case, I don't think the CM is going anywhere.

The PRC may steal market share from other rounds.

DF

I have 2 Creedmoors and no PRCs. You suck the fun right out of prodding the masses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There was a time when I figured I didn't need a reason or excuse to buy a gun, but as I've gotten older, I'm coming to a few conclusions. Chances are, a whitetail deer is the biggest game animal I'm ever going to hunt, unless I draw a Kentucky elk tag, decide to go to Eastern Kentucky and hunt black bear, or got out west to hunt elk and mule deer. So, I don't need a rifle that will kick like a mule, because I'm not hunting anything right now that will eat me, gore me, or trample me if it get's mad enough. I've got a 270 and a 7X57 if I ever hunt elk, so I'm figured I'm good in that department.

That leaves deer as what I'm hunting, and that's where a 6.5 CM fills the bill perfectly. Arthritis, bad rotator cuffs, and a pinched nerve in my elbow tends to make me recoil sensitive, and I've learned that one does not need to be punished in order to shoot a rifle. I had pretty much settled on the 243 as my go-to deer cartridge until I bought a 6.5 CM and started shooting it. Simply put, it's as easy on the shoulder as a 243, and a better deer round to boot.

I cannot see what all the fuss is about. If you don't like it, move on and use something else. I'm usually very nostalgic about cartridges and have never seen the need for 75% of the new stuff that's came out in the past 50 years or so. If recoil is of no concern, and admittedly it's not a cartridge known for it's recoil, my 270 would work for anything I ever plan to hunt, or would even contemplate hunting. But, in a lightweight rifle, with a full dose of H-4831 and a 130 grain bullet, it sometimes bothers my shoulder. Same way with my 7X57, and I'm sure both Karamojo Bell and Elanor O'Connor would both laugh at me.

I shot several deer with a 6.5X55, and it worked fine, no felt recoil, and a deer that died quickly. A 260 Remington was in my plans, but a less than $300 Howa 6.5 Creedmoor tempted me too much. It's a very good cartridge, with lot's of good reloading components available, and one that performs as advertised, something that is sometimes not the case. I don't normally jump on the bandwagon of something until I've had tons of experience with it, and despite now having my third rifle for the Creed, I'm still new to it. However, I've seen enough to know that I like it.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I was playing the straight man there Geno.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was playing the straight man there Geno.

Yep,

Just trying to get some impetus for others to join in the Martini 9.3/366 Creed action.

Perhaps if we get enough interest Lipsey's will request a small run of them for us? cool

Geno

PS. Was going to say it went right over my head, as tall as you are that's where a lot of stuff goes. laugh

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blindshooter
I was a HP rifle competitor from about 89 to 03, after I made distinguished rifle all my shooting was done with match rifles starting with .308 win.
Built a 6.5-08 panther for 600-1k to try for better barrel life over 6.5-284 along with easy to find decent brass. It worked fine. A little later one of my competitor friends Kent Reeve shortened a 6.5-08 case .080 keeping the same shoulder as a test to see if he could gain the ability to load 142 SMK's in the magazine for 300yd rapid fire while still keeping enough speed for 600yd slow. It worked well enough I did the same thing with one of my guns. Easy to make brass, just cutting off the base of the dies. I shortened and opened up the neck of a Dillon .243 power trim die for bulk of the trim work. All this was done before Remington brought out the .260 case. Having done all this mumbling, I would have jumped on DeMile's case that became the 6.5 CM if it had been available back then. Of course all this was for punching holes in paper. I did keep the last Kriger barreled 700 and stuck it in a hunting stock for my nephews to kill deer with, they loved it for stand hunting.

Even prior to your time frame, here's an interesting read of the path to one of the most dominate cartridges in Hunter Benchrest, made by shortening the 308 case:

https://benchtalk.netlify.com/articles/benchrest/30x47-cartridge-history.html

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Meh, the 6.5 PRC makes them both its bitch.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Time will tell.

In any case, I don't think the CM is going anywhere.

The PRC may steal market share from other rounds.

DF

I have 2 Creedmoors and no PRCs. You suck the fun right out of prodding the masses.

You know you are a Loony.

So, no PRC yet, would be a better statement.

You know you want one...

Ha!

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My guess is the .29 Creedmoor will be the next best-seller....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Will that really be a .284?

Or will Hornady make a .295/.296/.297 bullet so we finally fill that hole?

Geno

In it is contentment

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

It’ll never live up to its older brother, the B-29....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (22kHornet, 1Longbow, 222ND, 12344mag, 160user, 257man, 46 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,876
Posts18,478,877
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.