Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks to Jed for having the foresight to purchase a series of letters that were exchanged between Mr. Arthur Savage, Baker & Hamilton and Mr. A.E. Perris. Jed had an opportunity to purchase these years ago and even though he didn't have a Perris Special, he knew these letters contained information available no where else. A fascinating glimpse into the past. I'm still digesting the information. One thing I will say: more than ever, I believe the sight that is on my rifle was placed there at the Savage factory at the time the rifle was manufactured. In a letter to Perris from Arthur Savage, Savage writes that they will take a "...regular carbine barrel and file the sight slots in by hand to get the rear sight as close to the front of the receiver as we possibly can." At first glance as I read this I thought that he meant trying to get the rear dovetail closer to the front of the receiver - which seemed odd as the dovetail on mine is about two inches further from the receiver than the dovetail on a standard carbine barrel. But, clearly what they meant is that to fit the sight requested on the barrel, they have to move the dovetail further away, but again, he states they will place the dovetail as close as they possibly can. If you look at the sight on my rifle, you will see that when the leaf is folded flat, it is almost, but not quite touching the front of the receiver. I would say there is about 1/32 to spare. It is fit in there exactly. And, added corroboration for me is the fact that there is not a mark or the tiniest ding or mar of any kind on the sight or on the barrel around the sight slot. smile smile smile smile

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good point. Might have been a customer supplied sight...sure doesn't look like a Savage product.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

B
boltman Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
The sight wasn't dealt with in the correspondence I have, but clearly, there were more letters in the correspondence than what I have. Would dearly love to have it all smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,710
Posts18,513,987
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.