Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
I grew them for many years and had some good harvests. Suddenly I got infested with potato bugs and I found the only way to stay ahead of them was to pick the hard shelled breeder bugs off a couple times a day. Miss a day or two and then you are infested. Wasn't worth it and I never found anything that took care of them and was safe to use in the garden.
Obtain some "Colorado Potato Beetle Beater" from Bonine... I've been using it for years now.. Just 2-3 applications when beetles first appear and you'll be golden... 2 oz. mixed in a gallon of water and sprayed over the plants when you begin to see beetles.. Repeat about 8-12 days later, then maybe once more in a similar time frame.. The stuff works wonders..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The Colorado Potato Beatle is bad around here. I used to be able to zap them with some good chit, but you can't buy it anymore. The local Mennonites put me onto a product called Colorado Potato Beatle Beater. It's designed for organic growing, and works. I've also used a product called Captain Jack's, and it works pretty good.

One of my granddaughters likes to help me with the vegetables, and enters them in the local fair. She will pick out an odd one to grow each year, and this year it was blue potatoes. My red and white varieties didn't do much this year, but those blue ones did. We've eaten a few, and though they taste just fine, they have a look that just makes you not to want to eat them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
The Colorado Potato Beatle is bad around here. I used to be able to zap them with some good chit, but you can't buy it anymore. The local Mennonites put me onto a product called Colorado Potato Beatle Beater. It's designed for organic growing, and works. I've also used a product called Captain Jack's, and it works pretty good.

Exactly the stuff I described above...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Mine are just getting going good. Short season here. Last real frost that burned plants was June 9, then on June 16 it was cold enough to have ice in the lawn hose. Didn't get these planted until after that, probably June 23. Pic was taken July 19. They've already gotten bigger and filled in more of the open space. Still have some relatively long days here.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the reminder, I now have to go out and pile more chicken litter compost around them.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
They look nice. Hope they make for you.....

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One of the best potato growing areas in Cali is just up the road an hour and a half.

Couple of the beds in the garden were there from the previous owners. I still get a volunteer from their plantings on occasion, we moved here fall of 2016. It's a good area, good volcanic soil (with too many rocks in most places), and lots of sun.

I have high hoped for them, as thinly sliced (almost tater chips) fried new taters are a favorite of mine.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (12344mag, 280Ackleyrized, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 47 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,047
Posts18,521,183
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.