Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Folks:

I have an assortment of gun oils picked up over the years, and the remnants of an old flannel shirt that contains every combination of those oils you can think of. But I'm curious: What's your favorite oil for a simple wipe-down after a hunt?

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hello Rev! I really like Outers Tri-Lube. It gets into the "pores" (if you would) and creates a very water resistant film. I like to really spray a rifle down (or wipe it down) very wet then allow to room temp dry. You can hunt in the snow/sleet/drizzle/downpour and have zero to only a tiny bit of rust show up after! I really Love EezOx for the bore ( seasons it like a cast iron skillet ha) and it will work swell on the outside but the smell is very loud. Maybe, just maybe a sharp old doe may wind you. God bless! Rev Jim Knight

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
any good gun oil to wipe them down is good even WD40 but for me i only use Wipe-Out to keep the bore of my rifles clean ,when i finally do clean the bore. sometimes people clean their rifle bore to much.

Last edited by pete53; 07/26/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Corrosion X the stuff is awesome. Bonds to the molecules and is very slick and smooth. For me it falls into the same usefulness category as vinegar, baking soda, wire coat hangers and duct tape. Does everything that PB blaster, WD40, RemOil, ATF and others do. Better.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Clenzoil or Ballistol is what I use on the exterior. WD40 is not a good idea

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Break-Free CLP

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Break-Free CLP

+1

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mobil synthetic 0 to -30, inside and out

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/26/19.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ed's Red is my favorite-- well, it's actually half of the Ed's Red recipe: 50% Kerosene/50% ATF . If it's going into long-term storage, I add a squirt of EeZox.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For rust prevention RIG Universal Gun Grease. Old but it still works just fine. It's sulfonated petrolatum so by its nature it clings to steel. Take a bit of one of those old flannel shirts, rub in RIG, stash it in a 35mm film can if you still have one of those, and you're good to go - anywhere. A very thin film from a quick wipe is all you need. Not so good as a lubricant though.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Ditto, and also Kroil

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For general wipedown, i use ballistol, or clenzoil, because used in moderation i don’t worry about it affecting wood.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Why use MObil 1 for a purpose it was not designed for?

Lucas gun oil

Amsoil

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 07/26/19.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Lucas gun oil

Amsoil

Because you never have to worry about it getting gummy in cold weather and your action won't freeze up. It wets better than covential gun oils.PLUS $8 gets you a life time supply.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Lucas gun oil

Amsoil

Because you never have to worry about it getting gummy in cold weather and your action won't freeze up. It wets better than covential gun oils.PLUS $8 gets you a life time supply.

I agree. Been using the mobil one 0 weight stuff for 20 years. Works fantastic and a quart goes a long ways. I bought a couple of the super fine applicator bottles and have been happy.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Lucas gun oil

Amsoil

I don't think it's going to freeze either and i am sure it works perfectly well in the real low viscosity grades. The qualities it has lend itself to better use in an engine that will have longer engine oil change intervals.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G-96

But I have been experimenting with Ballistol.
Both have been good, both are hard to find in a store.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
G-96

But I have been experimenting with Ballistol.
Both have been good, both are hard to find in a store.

Ballistol is tough to find. I really like Clennzoil better but both are good for doing a walnut/blue gun especially since they won't hurt wood or metal.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

I agree. Been using the mobil one 0 weight stuff for 20 years. Works fantastic and a quart goes a long ways. I bought a couple of the super fine applicator bottles and have been happy.[/quote]

I use a Dristan nose spray bottle or the equivalent.Drill out the center hole in the cap a bit and put a piece of the red tubing like comes on a WD 40 can in it.Works like a charm.I also do the same for applying cutting oil when using the drill pres when cutting metal

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

yep, Mobil 1

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,546
Posts18,491,649
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.