Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Buzz412 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Never a bad choice from all the info I've gathered. Never even seen one in person though. I know zastava chambers them and the 375 in a Mauser action but after not finding any available I bought a 7mm-08 of the same make.

GB1

B
Buzz412 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Why'd you shoot it then?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Buzz412
I considered sending an -06 of the JES to be rebored to one. Do you have one? I here problems with the tiny shoulder on it and especially the 40 whelen.

Nope, don't have one, but always wanted one.

The shoulder problem is a myth on the 375. Less so on the 40.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Practice for a hunt I was going on.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Why'd you shoot it then?

They're a menace for one, and good target practice for two. Also, they're so badly ridden with parasites, it isn't wise to eat them.

IC B2

B
Buzz412 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Note to self..don't eat jackrabbit.

B
Buzz412 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Then I want a 400 at some point. A lot of loads seem to equal the 450-400 nitro. Out of an -06 case!

B
Buzz412 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
JES rebore can make an old -06 into either for $250 so it seems on their website. Reviews are quite good.

B
Buzz412 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
2150 fps with a 400 grain bullet seems too good to be true from an -06 case but many say they do so.

B
Buzz412 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'd think you should just buy targets..but we all do things differently. Good hunting.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rug3
338RCM

or maybe the .338 Federal.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are hunting Alaska, Canada or a yearly big elk hunter, then I would consider a .338 Winny and full throttle 225 grain bullets. If your mainly hunting white tails and maybe a black bear in PA then I would look for a lever gun in .35 Remington or .356 Winchester. Either one with a XS or Skinner receiver sight and a XS front sight will put some fun into your hunting.

Nothing carries as easy to me as a slab sided lever gun.

B
Buzz412 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Sectional density is a real thing unless you reload for a cartridge with premium bullets. 338 federal is a dead round that can't fit high SD bullets.

B
Buzz412 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have 2 marlin 336's. One with a 2-7 scope and one with peep sight. I don't need this medium bore or anything to cover any hunting in North America. I have too many rifles as it is the old lady says. I'm now down to a 338-06 (rebore of a 1903), another 35 whelen (rebore of same 1903), 338 win mag or 375 h&h. I think. Too hard....I want them all.....

B
Buzz412 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Have a savage 110 in -06 too. Wouldn't ever not hav one in my stable.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I'd think you should just buy targets..but we all do things differently. Good hunting.

Why buy paper targets when hunting varmints is like big game hunting. The angle,distance,getting closer and how quick I can get an accurate shot off is more important than punching paper.

Took this .270 Win out rabbit hunting.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Paid off in November...
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Buzz412,

When I was headed to Africa for an all iron-sight buffalo and plains-game hunt a while back, I used my aperture-sighted .375 H&H to shoot several dozen prairie dogs at ranges out to 150 yards. After that it was relatively easy to shoot much larger animals in the right place, even beyond 200.

Elkhunternm is correct: Shooting varmints is excellent practice for big game hunting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
I considered sending an -06 of the JES to be rebored to one. Do you have one? I here problems with the tiny shoulder on it and especially the 40 whelen.

Nope, don't have one, but always wanted one.

The shoulder problem is a myth on the 375. Less so on the 40.

As one with considerable experience with a 40 Whelen (properly known as the 400 Whelen) I can assure the shoulder problem is a myth in the 400 Whelen also. I have used mine for 10 years, done extensive load development and shot many hundreds of rounds(1200+) and have never had any of the mythical headspace issues. The late Michael Petrov was friend and the one who inspired me to build mine. Michael wrote a couple of great articles on the 400 and probably had as many rounds through his as I do through mine with the same findings.

2150 with a 400 grain bullet is a reality.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have changed my mind on this subject many times since my first shot in 1962.
Growing up in Australia where there is no DOW, no seasons or bag limits and you simply knocked on a farmers door and asked if you can hunt there meant that the several thousand animals shot by me and many thousands shot by others in my hunting camps, has seen an awful lot of cartridges and loads used to do what amounts as, the same thing.

I took the roller coaster up from the .222 Remington to the .460 Weatherby with multiple variants of the same caliber, meaning various chamberings and considerable loads tried to the point of now..............

The point of now, means if I was logical and rational in cartridge choices especially relating to "Gaps" which I no longer believe in means that simple is better, practice is more valuable and confidence is premium.

Probable the best twosome I owned was a pair of Rigby;s, a .275 with factory fitted Kahles 2-7 and a double in .350 Rigby No 2. With this pair I could hunt open or timbered areas and proficient with either in its range capabilities.

As of today, my thinking is to walk away from cartridge choices and concentrate on a pair of rifles that are similar.same so as never to be strangers. During my magnum days I stayed clear of the .308 and .30/06 but eventually chose a Winchester Featherweight in .30/06 as a reasonably light and practical all rounder. So have many others. I did trade it off briefly for a .338 Ruger but bought it weeks later because I missed it and knew it was one of the most accurate factory rifle I ever tested to that point.

Here is where I differ to others here. I do not believe in cartridge gaps, I learned there are only animal gaps and even then most of those perceived gaps can be distorted by range, terrain and field difficulties to again, create a window for options such Stainless over blued, long barrel over short, magnum over standard case, and so on.

I like hunting so am not much interested in the fad of long range shooting. I have killed at 600 yards with a 4 foot hold over and at 300 with a straight on hold so I understand the arguments or self imposed justifications some use.

I do not believe the "Most Accurate rifles in the world" claims because I have during rifle reviews seem a great many of factory rifles out shoot customs costing many times the factory equivalent. I have also seen these same Rigby priced plastic rifles miss some spectacularly easy shots at .30/30 ranges.

So where am I going with this.......

I have more rifles that I need and will never wear them out with the limited short season hunting in the US. There is no open seasons unless you are culling pigs and that is a different market. I like a .30/06, a .458 because with Barnes X bullets, it is no longer the 100 yard stopping rifles is was designed to be. The .375 is more logical and practical but I never warmed to it like I did with the .458's.

I like the practicality of the 7mm Weatherby though it is strangely one of the only Weatherby cartridges I have neither owned or used. Of the big 3, I like the .460 as it is built correctly for the recoil and more versatile that any scribe has demonstrated. I hate reading articles on the .460 as they are full of stupid and ignorance. The .458 is more practical for the average hunter as it is a try stopper and with the lighter weight Barnes X bullets, far more versatile that historical reports.

This topic should be forcing readers to invent the animal that cannot be taken with a .30/06 loaded with a 200gn TTSX or a 220gn Woodleigh or Partition that "CAN" be taken with a .375? If anyone can wrap their mind around that, then because every boy in the world had ADD during his school days, you would find yourself becoming distracted yet again by options within the same area based on Stainless over blued, long barrel over short, magnum over standard case, and so on.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not enough difference between a .35 Whelen and a 9.3x62 to keep you up at night.

How about either a .375 H&H or a .375 Ruger?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,914
Posts18,479,587
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.