Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
They all used the same bullshit methodology, in order to intentionally reach a bullshit conclusion.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fubarski
They all used the same bullshit methodology, in order to intentionally reach a bullshit conclusion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+...493j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

All of 'em huh?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
We have a few cyclists around here, especially when the Tour De'Toona is happening. I see them a lot near Horseshoe Curve... I never have a problem slowing down and driving around them.

On a much more important note... Paul, will you be aware when those awesome sales start at Walmart this year and will you make it a point to keep us informed here? (Please)

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JTman
We have a few cyclists around here, especially when the Tour De'Toona is happening. I see them a lot near Horseshoe Curve... I never have a problem slowing down and driving around them.

On a much more important note... Paul, will you be aware when those awesome sales start at Walmart this year and will you make it a point to keep us informed here? (Please)

The first set of markdowns should have already taken place. Go take a look around. Anything on clearance will be further reduced within a few weeks. This year I am expecting Henry Big Boys to be reduced 50%. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine them being hot sellers for WM.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Fubarski

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+...493j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

All of 'em huh?

Yes.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

The first set of markdowns should have already taken place. Go take a look around. Anything on clearance will be further reduced within a few weeks. This year I am expecting Henry Big Boys to be reduced 50%. I may be wrong, but I can't imagine them being hot sellers for WM.

Thank you, I'll do some shopping. If you do hear of any spectacular deals I'm sure we here would appreciate a heads up

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
All this defense about bicycling. The OP told a story that happens to often. Because someone rides and enjoys riding bicycles, doesn't mean they need to stand up for other idiots. I have had three near missed with bicyclists. All three were within the last month. Two were spandex wearing pucks crossing against lights at a busy intersection. The other was a methead looking puck weaving in and out of traffic. He clipped the car next to me went down and I ran over his front tire, just as he appeared in vision. The police took him away, left his bick laying beside the road! Most aren't as perfect as the spandex rep in this thread.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Was hauling an 8N with semi u dozer still on (had permit to do so) and my pilot car had to persuade a California bicycle rider we needed the road for a minute.

Argument did not last very long . Friggin bicycles.

Cyclists are a goofy lot, when I encounter them on trails horseback riding they stop and get out of the way for fear of getting kicked. On the highways they seem to not have any fear of getting run over.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Define "too narrow to share"

It is the language used in the law you previously cited. I don't know how CA defines it. If a lane is too narrow to accommodate a cyclist riding about 2 feet from the curb or fog line and a car passing at a safe distance, then it is generally considered too narrow to share.

Ok, so our logic is similar. So that equates to any lane 10.5-11.5 feet wide or less. (5 foot wide car, 2-3 foot margin for safety, 3 foot wide cyclist, 2 feet from tire to edge of road. Again, should there be obstacles/right turns, cyclists exceeding the speed of traffic... then the cyclist has no need to abide by "as far to the right as practicable".

So justify cyclists saying they should take the lane if it's narrower than 14 feet. This, in instances when none of the exceptions to cvc 21202 apply. Doing so because "it feelz dangerous if i don't take the lane"

Oh, just realized you said two feet from the fog line. Nope, sorry. There's no mention of "fog line" in the regulation. And here's why: There are shoulders here that are 4 feet wide or more, no obstructions or debris whatsoever. Absolutely zero justification for riding outside them unless 21202 exceptions apply. And yet, there are the pair of riders, two up, chatting away, with one outside the shoulder by a couple feet. Becuz "I need to take the lane for safety".

Bicyclists have a death wish and arrogance that needs controlled. The camera is wide angle and the distances are deceiving. This is a highway with a legal speed limit of 70 MPH. The truck in the oncoming lane is also doing 60-70 MPH and if you count the centerlines, it gives you a better idea of just how close he is and at this speed doesn't allow you to swerve over into the oncoming lane to avoid the cyclist. the cyclist is a better target than a semi truck. This is the rule, not the exception...

[Linked Image]

Damn rumble strips. That'd be an ideal shoulder if it didn't have them. What difficulty did you experience in seeing or negotiating your way around that cyclist? I am reckoning I could see him on that road from a mile away, and it's not like traffic density is such that I couldn't easily pass him.

Well, I ain't really taking one side or another in this debate, tho I just put in about 600 roadside miles (??) in Montana and might be about to put in another 140.

That guy in the photo could be me if I didn't hear the vehicle in back and/or weren't watching my mirrors. I run the widest tires I can fit on my 30yo touring bike (35mm) with an aggressive tread (Schwalbe Marathon Mondials) precisely for running off of the asphalt into the dirt when needed.

In that photo I would most likely be riding the strip of smoother asphalt between the rumble strip and the dirt. I can't very well RIDE the rumble strip of course, but I can transition across it pretty easy, my bike frame being so softly sprung. I haven't seen many places but one or two short stretches where the rumble strip took up ALL the shoulder.

In the fatality Shrapnel posted, it reportedly happened on a blind curve, for all we know if the dead guy had been center lane he might have simply been run over.

I must say I fail to see much difference between riding a bicycle in a traffic lane and being a pedestrian in a traffic lane, so I generally vacate them in a heartbeat in the presence of vehicles.

A sad deal for the RV driver, I'll bet it ruins your whole trip to kill some guy.

Like I've said if I get run over unintentionally its ALWAYS gonna be my fault, if it were me that got taken out by the RV mirror I'd say the same.

I will say I have learned to be wary of RV's eek plainly lots of folks driving 'em don't have much time behind the wheel of a vehicle that size.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

not everyone has common sense Mike.

Last edited by stxhunter; 07/28/19.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

not everyone has common sense Mike.

Yep. A lot of folks have NO common sense!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thank you, I'll do some shopping. If you do hear of any spectacular deals I'm sure we here would appreciate a heads up

Will do. It brought me great pleasure last year watching the members stock up on the deals.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Paul, I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Bicyclists break far more traffic rules than cars do. If you can't bring your self to admit that, well-that's where we disagree. As far as motorists doing right turns on red, where I live, that's legal, unless otherwise posted. Cyclists turn right, left, and go straight ahead on red regularly. You have to admit this is true Paul. Don't tell me you haven't seen this, and don't tell me you haven't done it.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/01...k-traffic-laws-any-more-than-drivers-do/

https://jsteelelaw.com/bicycle-prejudices-fail-bikes-break-traffic-laws-less-motorists-study-finds/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlto...ists-finds-new-video-study/#698374e14bfa

https://bicyclecoalition.org/study-shows-cyclists-motorists-break-law-rate-anti-cyclist-angst/

I often run red lights on my bike. When I do it, it enhances the flow of traffic and/or my safety.

Oh this is classic-explain how running stop signs and traffic lights makes things safer for you. What color are the clouds in your sky any ways?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The situation I’ll often run red lights is passing under a freeway overpass where there’s a traffic light on either side of the overpass. This allows me to pass under the overpass bridge in the absence of traffic in my lane while at the same time not impeding traffic by my presence.

I do not do this in the face of oncoming traffic, only when the way is clear.

Not expecting sympathy here.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul, I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Bicyclists break far more traffic rules than cars do. If you can't bring your self to admit that, well-that's where we disagree. As far as motorists doing right turns on red, where I live, that's legal, unless otherwise posted. Cyclists turn right, left, and go straight ahead on red regularly. You have to admit this is true Paul. Don't tell me you haven't seen this, and don't tell me you haven't done it.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/01...k-traffic-laws-any-more-than-drivers-do/

https://jsteelelaw.com/bicycle-prejudices-fail-bikes-break-traffic-laws-less-motorists-study-finds/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlto...ists-finds-new-video-study/#698374e14bfa

https://bicyclecoalition.org/study-shows-cyclists-motorists-break-law-rate-anti-cyclist-angst/

I often run red lights on my bike. When I do it, it enhances the flow of traffic and/or my safety.

Oh this is classic-explain how running stop signs and traffic lights makes things safer for you.

I'll give you one example on a route I take on occasion.

I am northwestbound on Oak St. I am the first vehicle caught at the light at the intersection of Oak and S. Carrollton. My destination is the dedicated bike path at the end of Oak. The light is unusually long. If there are no cars coming on Carrollton, I'll go. That way I am well down Oak when the light changes. I hold up no cars and eliminate the possibility of impatient driver brush passing me. Oak is very narrow and most often has cars parked on each side. When I ride into the driving lane beyond the swing radius of the parked car doors (outside the door zone) the road is so narrow that it's too tight for cars to safely pass me. If I wait for the light to turn green the motorists have a choice. Stay behind me or pass unsafely. The end result is that by running the light I enhance my safety and improve overall traffic flow with no risk to anyone.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oak+St,+New+Orleans,+LA+70118/@29.9480356,-90.1328135,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8620a5159c02980b:0x73a6f4795f6748c5!8m2!3d29.947357!4d-90.129788

That's but one of many examples of how I get the hell out of everyone's way and make it better for all of us. You are on record as wishing I'd wait the light out and hold people up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That’s a situation where I’d run a red light too. Sometimes when I do that I get off and walk across and then get on again on the other side of the intersection.

End result is the same but seems to PO people less.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
That’s a situation where I’d run a red light too. Sometimes when I do that I get off and walk across and then get on again on the other side of the intersection.

End result is the same but seems to PO people less.

That overpass scenario you laid out is another one in which I'll run a light if I can safely do so.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Paul, like I said, we'll just have to agree to disagree. This whole thread was started by me due to a bycyclist traveling on the sidewalk on the wrong side of the road. We approached the intersection on a green light and this idiot came from our right, off the sidewalk, and into the crosswalk going right to left on the wrong side of the street. He never slowed down, never looked. We were lucky we saw him and didn't hit him. Never flinched, never looked back, just kept right on going down the wrong side of the road on the sidewalk.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Paul, like I said, we'll just have to agree to disagree. This whole thread was started by me due to a bycyclist traveling on the sidewalk on the wrong side of the road. We approached the intersection on a green light and this idiot came from our right, off the sidewalk, and into the crosswalk going right to left on the wrong side of the street. He never slowed down, never looked. We were lucky we saw him and didn't hit him. Never flinched, never looked back, just kept right on going down the wrong side of the road on the sidewalk.

My wife almost took out a cyclist in a similar situation. He cussed her out. Sidewalk cycling is rife with hazards. Wrong way sidewalk cycling much more so. Adding inattention to that is a deadly combination.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,641
Posts18,512,265
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.